[o14.

It Hurts to Hurt You

 

 

Hyesun hadn’t had a nice time with her cousin in awhile since Kyungri has been terribly busy due to the upcoming final test. Every time Hyesun was about to ask her out, she’d see her doing her assignment or studying. Sometimes, she stayed back in college just to study with her friends and got home late.

“Hey, little cousin!”

Hyesun’s head whipped to her right and she looked at the person who just stole her chocolate bars in her hold. Her forehead formed a crease in confusion at first but after noticing she felt nothing on her palm, it turned to dissatisfaction.

“That’s my chocolate you’re eating!” she huffed at the older.

Kyungri froze as she already mid-bite the chocolate bar. Before she could chew it down, she swung the chocolate in front of Hyesun’s face, “Here, take it back. I can buy more than you have,” the corner of her lips twitched upwards in annoyance.

Hyesun grimaced at the sight of her bitten chocolate, “Just eat it! You’ve took a bite anyway,” she crossed her arms against her chest as her eyes retreated back to the magazine she was reading.

Kyungri cheekily smiled as she finished the chocolates bars in a go. With full mouth, she asked her cousin, “How is school so far? And how many friends have you made?” her spits went flying right on Hyesun’s face.

Hyesun made a face as she took a tissue before wiping her cheeks with it, “Park Kyungri you’re so disgusting!” she stood up from the sofa and shoved a cushion right on Kyungri’s face before sprinting off to her room.

Kyungri threw away the cushion to Hyesun’s direction, “You ungrateful cousin! You don’t even answer my questions! And you shoved my face with the smelly cushion like what on earth!” she yelled her lungs out.

 

Hyesun was still laughing out loud in her room at Kyungri’s nagging. She then shook her head. That cousin of mine is really something when it comes to nagging. She sure suits Sunggyu well. As she was about to lie down in her bed, her phone vibrated before ringing a tune. She reached for it as immediate and looked at the caller ID. She scoffed as she looked at the name flashed on the screen. Brat. Without wasting much times, she picked up the call.

“What do you want, brat?” she nonchalantly asked.

“I made an effort to call you just to hear you calling me brat? Very cool, Jeon Hyesun,” the other voice tsked.

She nearly knocked her head on the wall in disbelief, “Damn brat, did you just call me by my name? You bratty brat!”

“Be grateful that I didn’t call you brat, wench,” the caller snickered.

Her patience finally reached its limit, “Jeon bratty Jungkook!!!” she yelled on the phone in frustration.

“For God’s sake, do you really have to yell out loud?!” and now it happened to be a battle of yelling rather than a normal phone call.

“Who told you that you can shout back at your sister?!” Hyesun didn’t want to let him win.

“Stop it, Jeon Hyesun! You’re making me go deaf!”

“You deserve that for heaven’s sake!”

“Why are you even my sister?!”

“You have no idea how unlucky I am to have you as my brother!”

“My throat is starting to hurt right now, can’t we stop?” his voice went back to a normal tone.

“My pleasure,” Hyesun cleared , “What’s with the sudden call, brat? It has been so long and now you finally remember that you have a big sister?”

“I can’t call my own sister? Oh is it my big sister refusing to treat her brother like a real brother now?” Hyesun’s younger brother by a year, Jungkook sulked.

“Don’t tell me you’re sulking with me right now,” Hyesun smirked at the tone used by Jungkook. It was obvious in her ears that he was sulking even though he wasn’t in front of her. She knew her one and only brother the most even though they keep fighting and arguing with each other.

“It’s not like I’ll gain anything from sulking so no I’m not. I call you because I miss you—” he stopped mid-sentence.

Hyesun burst out laughing at Jungkook’s confession, “You what? Whom do you miss? Can you say that again?”

“Forget it,” just then, the line went dead as Jungkook had ended the call.

Hyesun stared at her phone with an amused eyebrow, “This brat, what’s so wrong about admitting that you miss your pretty sister? I miss you too, stupid brat,” she stared at her phone for one last time as she smiled. It was surprising to hear he said that he missed her. It was so rare for Jeon Jungkook to say such things since he wasn’t good (or in the other word; awfully bad) in showing affections and concerns. She wasn’t planning to call him back because she knew better that he wouldn’t answer. He probably wouldn’t want to answer her call in a year.

I haven’t been home in awhile. I’ve missed Mum, Dad and even that brat so much. I should find time to go home around this month. This weekend sounds good since I don’t really have plans about what to do. Then that’s it! Hyesun smiled in satisfaction. She hoped nothing would come across her plan.

Her phone suddenly rang again. There’s no way that brat is calling me. She gaped in surprise to see the caller ID on the screen. Blinking her eyes, she answered the call, “Hello?” she warily said as she put the phone close to her ear.

“Hey, am I disturbing you?” a man voiced; or rather L.

“No, not at all. Why?” she asked. She didn’t know why but it was awkward for her.

“Are you free tomorrow after school? Let’s meet?” L suggested.

Let’s meet means let’s talk. Let’s talk means let’s get better. Hopefully. “Sure, then I guess see you tomorrow?”

“Alright. I’ll tell you the place tomorrow,” he noted to her.

“Okay,” Hyesun shortly answered and right after that, the call ended. Once again, she was staring hard at her phone. I can’t believe I’m having such an awkward phone call with Myungsoo. She deeply sighed. On the other note, she hoped tomorrow would be a bright day for her.

 

Hyesun put her phone back in her blazer’s pocket after writing L’s text message for her. The latter said he wanted to meet at a cafe that they always go together. And that was when she saw Mina excitedly ran to her.

“Do you want to join us after school?” Mina asked the girl as she held her arm.

“Join what?” Hyesun asked back.

“Friends’ bonding time? Just spending times together with leisure activities, Teen Top would also join us,” Mina went into details.

Such a good opportunity. But there’s no way I’m cancelling on Myungsoo. “As much as I want to join you, I can’t make it since I already have plan this evening,” Hyesun’s face stated how sorry she was.

Mina lightly pouted, “Can’t you cancel it? We’ve never went out together before so I thought we can this time,” she tried to convince Hyesun to join them.

“I’m sorry, but I really can’t cancel my plan. Next time would do, right?” Hyesun sent a small smile to Mina.

Mina sighed, “Next time it is.”

 

Hyesun walked into the cafe where she is supposed to meet L. Her eyes wandered around the cafe to search for a familiar figure before her eyes stopped on a male who casually playing with his phone. A smile went into her face even though she couldn’t help but to feel nervous. With light steps, she made her way to the table he was sitting.

The chair made a screeching sound as she pulled it before settling down, “Have you waited long?”

L stared at the girl as if his eyes were boring holes into her eyes. But it didn’t last long when he cracked a small smile, “On a scale one to feel like raging, I nearly called you to make sure if you actually remember our date,” he teased.

Hyesun rolled her eyes, “You didn’t tell me it was a date. Or else I’d wear something better than my school uniform,” she was being cynical.

“Let’s just say this is a sudden date, okay? Next time, I’ll tell you beforehand so that you can dress up all you want just to impress this boyfriend of yours,” L chuckled as he put his hand on his mouth.

“Sure do, boyfriend,” Hyesun grimaced.

“I’ve ordered your favourite coffee and bread, so eat up,” L gestured to the serving on the table.

The lass looked at the hot latte, sausage bread and peanut butter cookies before grinning at L. It was one happy and grateful grin, “Thank you. I must admit you know me well, boyfriend.”

“I’m a perfect boyfriend material, aren’t me?” L wiggled his eyebrows at Hyesun.

Hyesun made a face as she took his cheese bread before stuffing it into his mouth, “Don’t flatter yourself, you have a long journey to becoming boyfriend material.”

L snorted as he chewed down the piece of bread. He gulped as he was searching for the right word to utter, “Look, I’m sorry for what I’ve previously done and said. I was upset and I didn’t mean to hurt you in any way by saying things I shouldn’t have and ignoring you. It was stupid of me to be immature at the wrong timing. I’ve been thinking about it thoroughly and I think I should support what you’re doing, or at least I try to. By supporting I mean, I shouldn’t stop you and it doesn’t mean I completely agree.

Honestly I still can’t bring myself to like that idea of yours but I know you’re one smart girl so I hope you can get through it. Remember, just give up if you think you can’t handle him. I don’t want you to force yourself by trying so hard,” he gave a long speech.

It made Hyesun smile, “Thank you for trusting me. I'm glad we're okay now and I’ll always remember your words,” she said as she pointed her index finger to her skull.

“I’m hoping on you, Hyesun. But promise me one thing,” his voice trailed off as his eyes restlessly moved.

“What is it?” Hyesun asked, her smile hadn’t left her face.

L stared into the girl’s dark brown orbs as his hands took both of her hands into his palms, “Promise me, no matter what, don’t fall for him.”

Hyesun gulped. Unknowingly, her head made a small nod right before could say anything.

Why doesn’t this feel good?

Would she be able to keep her promise?