[o28.

It Hurts to Hurt You

 

 

 

Remember, you’re totally mine this evening!

Hyesun stared at the text message for god-knows how long with a wide smile in her face. She didn’t even realise she was actually doing that. Her weird demeanour attracted the attention of Mina and Naeun as the two stared at each other with questioning looks. After some you-go-why-me-you-should-why-does-it-have-to-be-me-you-do-it moments between Naeun and Mina, the former grunted and pulled her chair closer to Hyesun’s desk. Mina turned her body to the back so that she could come face-to-face with Hyesun.

Even with noisy screeching sound of chairs, Hyesun wasn’t distracted one bit. Mina knocked Hyesun’s desk with her fingers as Naeun peeked at Hyesun’s phone. Naeun tried to get a clear view of the screen as she read what she saw, “Remember, you’re total-”

And that definitely has woken up Hyesun to reality. She gasped at Naeun and quickly hid her phone, “Why are you reading my message?” she asked, a little too loud.

“Why not?” Naeun smirked at the girl.

“You’ve been looking so dreamy, you know. And we’re glad you’re no longer doing that,” Mina said.

“R-Really? Well, I’m sorry then,” Hyesun sheepishly smiled at the two.

Suddenly Naeun clasped her hands, “Hey, Hyesun, do you have any plans after school? Since I have things to buy and apparently, this Mina girl over here has club meeting so I have no company so I’m asking if you accompany me to the mall?” Naeun asked, her eyes looked hopeful that Hyesun would agree.

“I’m sorry, Naeun. I wish I can but unfortunately I can’t. I already have plans. But I’m free though tomorrow if you want to go tomorrow,” Hyesun replied, carefully picking her words.

Naeun’s expression remained cool, “Nah, it’s okay. I guess I have to go alone then.”

“How about if you ask Ricky to—” before Mina could finish her sentence, Naeun already gave her a hard look.

“I rather go by myself,” she groaned. Up to these days, Ricky is still a very annoying kid in her eyes. She could never understand what is so adorable about that brat.

Hyesun and Mina laughed at her reaction. To them, Ricky could be annoying at times but maybe he just wants attention so they didn’t mind as much as Naeun who feels bothered by the young boy.

Hyesun then got up from her seat, earning looks from both Mina and Naeun, “I’m going to the restroom for awhile,” she told the two to which she got two n0ds of head.

Once she was completely out of sight, Naeun quickly said to Mina in a whispery tone, “I think she got a date this evening. I saw the text though! It read ‘remember, you’re totally mine this evening!’ Isn’t that obvious?”

It got Mina thinking. Then, she looked back at Naeun, “So, you’re meaning to say that she has a boyfriend?”

“Exactly!” Naeun yelled excitedly which silented the whole classroom. Noticing all the eyes in the room suddenly were on her, she gave quick bows of apology to them while mouthing sorry for the unnecessary attention.

After the class went back to normal, Mina said to Naeun, “But if it’s true that she has a boyfriend, isn’t it quite disappointing that she keeps it from us? You know, aren’t we her friends?” Mina gets sensitive easily which is totally the opposite of Naeun.

Naeun shrugged but took it neutrally, “I guess she’s just shy to tell us. But that’s okay, we’ll make sure she’ll open about it soon!” she grinned in determination.

Little did the two know, someone who they thought was sleeping actually listened to their conversation, feeling disturbed. There’s no way she already has someone special. Why would she agree to go out with me and even the rest if she can spend her time with her boy- ugh. I need to find out the truth! Wait, why do I even bother?

 

 Hyesun smiled when she saw a familiar black motorbike parked at the lot. The owner looked around with a bored expression but it didn’t change the fact on how mesmerising he looked. When their eyes met, his blank face turned into a very happy one, just like a kid who was given a lollipop. Hyesun fastened her pace to him.

“Have you waited long?” she asked once she reached him.

“Not really,” he answered.

“Then what’s with the bored face?” she questioned with a light smile.

He took the helmet he brought for her and then put it on her without warning which earnt him a slap on the arm. Smiling, he said, “Because it bores me to see people who are not you.”

Her eyebrows met at his quirkness, “Is that supposed to be something like pickup line?”

“Why should I waste my pickup line on you?” he smirked as he hopped on his motorbike, “Get your up here now, miss-unworthy-of-a-pickup-line.”

“Kim Myungsoo!!!”

 

 

The two then went to the mall. Shopping, eating, watching movie and just other stuff like how couples usually do. But that’s the thing. They aren’t an item. Which is sad, on the boy’s side, since the girl only views him as her best friend. Big ouch for people who experience friendzones.

The movie that they watched just ended and both of them made their ways out of the cinema hall. Hyesun checked herself if there was any popcorns stuck on her clothes. L chuckled.

“What?” she asked when she heard him chuckling.

“What?” he asked back.

Hyesun snorted. She then stopped, which made L stop as well. She turned to look at L, “I’m going to the restroom. Here, hold my stuff for me,” she handed her phone and purse to the lad before entering the restroom.

L stood at a corner while waiting for Hyesun to finish with whatsoever business she had. He looked at her phone and a smile made its way onto his face. She wore the phone case that he bought for her long ago and it had worn out. Why does she still use this when it has worn out? He then looked around and noticed a small booth which sells phone cases and went there.

“Hello. Welcome to our booth. Are you searching for phone cases?” the worker brightly asked L.

He nodded, “Yeah. Do you have any for iPhone 5?”

The worker smiled, “Yes, we have a lot of choices for iPhone 5. You can pick any from here,” she then showed L the section for iPhone 5 cases.

He looked at all of the cases very carefully. Hmm, which one will suit her best? He glanced at her phone. After a few minutes of mind-battling, he chose one which he was satisfied with. After paying for the phone case, he bowed to the worker and turned to go before a voice stopped him or perhaps, froze him would explain the situation best.

“M-Myungsoo?”

 

 

After she dried her hands, Hyesun went out from the restroom and looked around her, searching for any sights of L but the male was nowhere to be found. She touched the pocket of her jeans but her phone wasn’t there. Then, she slapped her forehead after she remembered something. Damn, I gave both my phone and purse to him.

“I’ll be so screwed if he really left me here alone,” she muttered to herself before started walking. After a few minutes which felt like forever to Hyesun, she finally spotted him at a small booth. No words could describe how relived she was. But a few seconds after, her reliefness washed out when she saw the person whom L seemed to be talking to. Or at least she thought he was.

She can’t see me with him. Or else, things will get bad. With that, Hyesun turned to the other direction but still kept L close in her sight.

 

 

L turned to look at the girl. She looked shocked, it wasn’t like he himself wasn’t shocked as well, it was just he didn’t want to appear so in front of her. What shocked him was why would she talk to him after what happened between them, where she had a choice but she went with the bad choice. Or at least, he thought it was a bad move from her.

She, herself didn’t understand why did she call out his name when it was clear between them that there was a boundary between them even though it had never been a verbal agreement. She wished she could slap herself at that moment. They’re not going to be happy if they know this.

“I —”

“I —”

They both stared at each other, awkwardly, before both looking away.

“I’m sorry. Consider this never happened,” she said quickly before she walked away from him.

L sighed when the girl’s back got small and smaller in his view. What happened to us? If only you didn’t choose him... If only you didn’t tell me what you told me...

 

 

Once Naeun was completely out of sight and she was sure that it was safe for her to approach L, Hyesun quickly walked to L who was still in daze. He didn’t even realise she was already by his side so she tapped him on the shoulder. It got his attention as he turned to look at the girl.

“You good?” Hyesun asked.

One of L’s eyebrows rose in confusion, “Why won’t I be?”

“I saw it. You and her... I mean Naeun. Then you have this weird faraway look, like you know, watching your old lover goes away—”

L quickly cut her off, “What old lover? You’re reading too much into the situation, Jeon Hyesun. It was nothing like what you thought. Nothing ever happened between us,” he said, his eyes hardening.

Hyesun rolled her eyes at his tantrum, “It’s not like I said anything about you two being old lovers, oh god, Kim Myungsoo, it’s not that I’m far-fetching but it is just you being so sensitive over my words. If nothing ever happened between the two of you, why are you so worked up? This is so unlike you,” she shot, studying his expression.

The lad chose to ignore her words as he shoved her handphone and purse in her hands before taking a step ahead, “I’m getting milk tea, do you want one?” he asked without looking at the girl.

Her mind was filled with suspicion and curiosity when she knew he was purposely avoiding the topic and he wouldn’t give her a satisfying answer. She then answered him, “Sure, get me hazelnut,” she followed him who was already steps ahead of her.

I don’t know what you’re keeping from me, but let me tell you something, I will find out about it no matter how. Kim Myungsoo and Son Naeun definitely had an untold history, and I’m about to find out what it is!

 

 

Hyesun didn’t utter any words to L when he dropped her off at her apartment. After getting off his bike and giving him the helmet she wore, she threw him a last blank look before turning her back on him and starting to walk to her apartment unit.

This made L sigh. Folding his arms across his chest, he called her out, “Jeon Hyesun,” his voice was calm; no annoyance was evident.

Hyesun didn’t turn to look back at him but he noticed she was slowing down her pace.

Getting no reaction from the girl for a few seconds made him say her name out louder, “Jeon Hyesun!”

She stopped in her track and looked back at him. L was about to open his mouth when her glare stopped him. He sighed in defeat when the girl continued to walk, her steps fastening than before.

What do I do with you, really...

 

 

Hyesun was watching the television that night when her phone beeped; signalling a message just got in. She looked at her notification to see it was L who sent her the message. Tapping her index finger on the back of her phone a few times, she finally decided to just open the message from him.

I’m sorry if I was being too sensitive earlier.

Hyesun chuckled reading it while shaking her head. Oh God, Kim Myungsoo, you’re so terrible with your apologies. But at least you apologised eh even though you don’t have to? She then put her phone down, not bothering to reply his message. She kept her eyes focused on the television back for a few seconds before her forehead formed a crease in realisation.

She stared at her phone for quite a long time before picking it up and realising that it was a new phone case. How did she even miss the detail confused her. She sighed before softly knocking her forehead with her phone. Kim Myungsoo why did you even buy me a new phone case? This Myungsoo guy, you’ll really get it!

She frantically dialled L’s number and pressed the call button. She put her phone on her ear and waited for her call to be answered. After a few rings, L’s voice greeted her ear.

“Hello?”

“Kim Myungsoo, why didn’t you tell me about this new phone case of mine?! For God’s sake, when are you going to stop spending your money on me? Have you been that rich? Then go donate instead of buying me things! And another thing, you let me get angry with you when you actually bought me something how did you even—”

“Do you like it?” his soft voice asked, cutting off her yell.

Hyesun blinked her eyes. His question made her lips unknowingly curved upwards, “Of course I like it, you silly why do you even have to ask? For your information, I like everything from you,” she honestly told him.

“So, you only like everything from me? How about everything about me, do you like it as well?” a soft chuckle accompanied his question.

Hyesun cringed but still laughed, “What’s with that question? I swear that was cheeeesy.”

A silence fell between the two of them. Hyesun was about to talk first when L’s voice was heard from the other line.

“Answer me, seriously, do you like everything about me?”

The girl hesitated for a few seconds before replying back, “Of course I like everything about you. You’re Kim Myungsoo, how could I not like you?”

“Really?” if she didn’t know better, she would have thought his voice was uncommonly happy as if he was in love with her and relieved to know the girl he loved, liked him back.

Shaking her head at the thought, she said in a high-pitched voice, “Yes yes yes! I like everything, every single damn thing about you because you are you; my best friend.”

Just then, the line went dead. Hyesun looked at the screen with a frown, “Weird. Was he running out of battery? I guess he’ll call me back later,” she assumed, being far from aware about what her words had done to him.

 

 

He stared at his phone for a few seconds before harshly throwing it onto the table. His jaw clenched in a mix of anger and disappointment. Agressively running his fingers through his hair, he then cynically chuckled to himself.

“Of course she would say that, what did you even expect from her, Kim Myungsoo?” L convinced himself to feel better about the situation but he was so hurt it didn’t help him at all.

His mind wandered to the event when she kissed his cheek and he gave a kiss back to her at the forehead. Didn’t that mean anything to her? Not even the slightest bit?

Why do you always hurt me without you knowing? Why do I always feel hurt even though it isn’t your intention at all to hurt me? At this rate, I don’t even know anymore if I stand a chance with you, Jeon Hyesun. But I don't want to give you up, at least not yet.