Chapter 7

Made

____

{7}

 

My interpersonal relationships with my family were amazing after I came out to everyone and introduced Tiffany. Honestly, I think they only accepted it because they expected us to get married. My relatives liked her, especially my cousins and those my age. She was passionate, driven, and responsible, though the last characteristic only came after she started training to be an idol. To my elders she was polite, successful, and attractive; attributes that only made her look like a potential wife. They had high hopes for our relationship and I was afraid about not living up to their expectations.

Whenever I talked to family, they beat around the bush for a bit until they asked about Tiffany. I didn’t mind it, but I was a bit nervous this time around. I brought some homework to my aunt’s house despite being on holiday break but I was only met with interruption from my cousins who already stopped by. “Taeyeon!” they all shouted, jumping onto me in hugs and I couldn’t help but grin. My family was big; it made me a family person. I loved them all, even if they were annoying, they were blood. The more I grew, the more I treasured them.  I squeezed Sunny especially tight since my short cousin had enlisted in the National Guard a year before graduating high school and even though the National Guard wasn’t too dangerous, I was afraid of never seeing her again the same way I was afraid of never seeing Wooyoung again.

“Sun! How’s service?” I asked and she shrugged, still wearing her uniform jacket. My heart still skipped a beat when I saw the family name ‘LEE’ written on her tag.

“It’s okay, working out is hard but the seniors aren’t bad and I get some time off,” she smiled brightly. “Come see Hyoyeon! Her baby bump is showing!” of all people, I could never imagine Hyoyeon pregnant with an actual child. She was always so carefree and funny, even while dating and getting married to a guy who was just like her. I set my bags down and quickly ran to the living room, grinning from ear to ear when I saw Hyoyeon with a noticeable stomach. God, she’s gonna be a mother soon.

“Hyo!” I laughed and she looked over, jumping up.

“Taeng!” she exclaimed and I hugged her as tight as I could without crushing her baby.

“Gosh, you’re so fat,” I deadpanned and she punched my arm. “Ow! Look at what manners you’re teaching your child!” I scoffed and knelt down to her stomach, gently patting it. “Your mom is stupid and violent; don’t take after her please take after your dad.”

“Shut up, I’m amazing and why wouldn’t my baby be like me?” Hyoyeon pretended to frown and I smirked. I stood up and took a deep sigh. I smiled a little. I was so excited to be an aunt to another young mind.

“How’s pregnancy?” I wondered.

“Surprisingly easy, if she drinks water with a lemon she’s fine,” Sunny jiggled a water glass with the yellow fruit and I took a sip of it, enjoying the zing. “I used to wonder how the older cousins spent Christmas, now I understand all of the gambling and drinking.”

“Dude you’re in the National Guard should you be saying that?” I chuckled and she flipped me off. “Oh my gosh what a crude gesture.”

“Don’t make us beat you while your girlfriend is here,” Sunny shook her head and I smiled slightly. I liked having Tiffany around at family events, it made us feel like a real family.

“She’s coming again? Doesn’t she know about all of the little babies that were born in the previous year or two?” Hyoyeon sat back down and the three of us stayed while others walked around, mingling.

“I want to change her mind about kids,” I told them and leaned back on my palms. “Help me out?”

“Talking about kids, huh?” Hyoyeon nodded and I sighed with a shrug. No one knew about our fight, but they had an idea that Tiffany wasn’t fond of children. “Well, kids are unpredictable. You can only hope that they’ll behave in a somewhat mannerly way. But, my example of pregnancy is pretty solid, so I’ll talk to her a little bit.”

“Thanks, Hyo,” I nodded.

“Min is super well behaved, actually, and she’s tiny. The tiny babies are the ones that stick in your head,” Sunny added, speaking on behalf of her sister’s daughter. I smiled and glanced at my watch. Tiffany lands in two hours, I should make sure to be there in time.

“Can you put my bags in a room? I’m gonna go pick up Tiff,” I stood up.

“Yeah, make the pregnant lady grab your bags,” Hyoyeon flicked her hair back and I rolled my eyes. “Sun, take her bags.”

“Oh my gosh, fine. Get back soon and be careful, party starts in an hour so this place will be packed by then,” she warned and I hummed, pulling out my keys. I hadn’t seen Tiffany since the summer, usually we were always apart for that period of time, but I was extremely eager to see her again for a variety of reasons.

I stood around in baggage claim and fumbled with my phone, anticipating a call from my girlfriend. I sighed deeply and thought about the label. Is she going to stay my girlfriend for the rest of my life? Can’t I ever call her my fiancée? My wife? Having a girlfriend sounds so immature, I want to grow in our relationship. Why can’t she understand that? I shook my head. No, one step at a time. We’ll talk about children first. I prayed to God that the babies would behave well. My phone vibrated and I answered at once. “Fany, I’m at baggage claim.”

“Can you take my luggage when you see it?” she asked and I looked around, spotting her pink carry-on as it rolled with the conveyor belt. I walked over and took it by the handle.

“Got it, now come down already. My arms are cold without you in them,” I whined and she laughed. I smiled. Her laugh is so precious.

“God you’re cute, I can see the sign, I’m almost there,” she told me and I tapped my foot impatiently, glancing around the area. “Did you claim a room at your aunt’s yet?”

“Yes, Sun brought my bags to one before I left. Warning you though, the party already started and by the time we get back it might be full of hungry and rowdy Asians,” I said and took a seat on her suitcase.

“Your family’s great, they’re my kind of people,” she insisted and I smiled again. Since her family was always small, she enjoyed mine very much. She fit in well with the craziness and attitude of my relatives. “Gosh your outfit is cute; you still look like a teenager.”

“You can see me?” I looked around frantically and she giggled over the line. The airport was swamped with people, looking to somehow make it in time back home for Christmas Eve. Dammit where is she? I couldn’t see her bright red hair, which made it very possible that she changed her hair color. “Come on, Hun, I miss you, don’t just stare at me.”

“But you’re so adorable to look at, pouting and everything,” she teased and I groaned.

“I’m hanging up, just come to me,” I sighed and hung up before she could revolt against my decision. I drummed a little bit on my thighs before noticing a girl with her hood up, shades on, and a pretty familiar smile walking toward me. Gosh her hair is black; it hasn’t been black since high school. Why does she make me feel so nostalgic all the time? I stood up and opened my arms, letting her run and jump into them with a squeal. I held her tightly and controlled the urge to kiss her. It feels too good to be true. “Your hair is black!”

“I knew you’d like it,” she grinned and I set her down, noticing her lurching forward to hold my face but stepped back after remembering our surroundings. “Let’s get out of here.”

“Sure thing,” I lifted the handle of her suitcase and rolled it behind me, itching to hold Tiffany’s hand. I can’t, this is an airport, and someone might recognize her. I quickly led her to my car and she slipped into the passenger seat while I stowed her luggage in the trunk.

“Oh my gosh did you get your windows tinted?!” Tiffany exclaimed when I got into the driver’s seat and I grinned.

“Yeah, after the people at Bubba Gump’s were looking into the window I decided it would be better if I tinted them,” I explained and she leaned over, cupping my face and kissing me confidently. God she’s such a good kisser. I could barely think, I just smiled when she kissed me and laughed when she let go.

“You’re the greatest little in the world,” she kissed my cheek and I rolled my eyes.

“I’m no one’s ,” I scoffed and started up the car, turning out of my parked spot. Tiffany pushed her hood down and folded up her sunglasses.

“I can kiss you all I want now with your tinted windows,” she sighed happily and took one of my hands off the wheel, folding it into hers. “I missed you a lot, there was so much going on.”

“Yeah, I’d have to say this comeback has been your most successful yet,” I nodded and she smiled, rubbing the back of my hand with her thumb. I was impressed with her group; the song was catchy and upbeat yet sentimental. It was an odd combination to say, but the delivery was well executed. “I’m proud of you.”

“Thanks, Baby. I heard things were a little rough at the hospital for a while, are you okay?” she asked, brushing my hair back and I hummed, slowing down at a red light.

“Yeah, there was a group suicide attempt among teenagers a few months ago. They drove the car off a bridge. Some of them escaped with few injuries, some of them had to be admitted and taken care of. Xiumin and I were in charge of taking care of them when it didn’t pertain to their recovery sessions,” I told her and Tiffany smiled a little.

“Aw, you were like their caregiver,” she teased and I sighed, carefully pushing the gas when the light turned green. “Did they give you a hard time? Or did you have fun messing around while on the clock?”

“A little bit of both…?” I said uncertainly and she grinned at me. “The hours were longer but they’re good kids and they’re funny. Most of them have gone by now but one girl likes to come around.”

“Is she cute?” Tiffany asked and my shoulders tensed up, but I nodded anyway. I couldn’t lie, Jieun was cute. “You said they were teens?”

“Yeah, way too young for me,” I commented and she kissed my cheek.

“She better be,” she nodded and I glanced at her.

“I would never cheat on you or leave you for her, she’s cute, but she reminds me too much of myself,” I sighed. Jieun did remind me of Tiffany at times, such as when she laughed or when she put on a cute act to make me do something for her. But most of the time I saw myself in her; she was a little weak on the inside and loved to use sarcasm.

“You find yourself unattractive?” Tiffany asked and I shrugged. “Then what does that mean if I think you’re attractive?”

“Well, I know it means I’m lucky,” I answered and received a pinch on the cheek.

“Yes you are,” the idol kissed me again before leaning back in her seat and resting her hand on my thigh. She had a long flight, she must be tired.

“Rest up before we get there, it’ll be all sorts of crazy,” I told her and she hummed, still holding my hand. “You can sleep later but the family is excited to see you.”

“I’m excited to see them…” she mumbled but curled up and squeezed my hand. God she’s adorable. I focused on the road and made sure to drive carefully. Time to convince her having children won’t be too bad.