The Crazy Beginning

Once in a Lifetime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If the heat doesn’t kill me, my bio lab will, Josy thought as she trudged into her dorm. She quickly threw off her backpack and took off her shoes, ready to dive into bed. But before she could climb on, her friend Angela knocked on the door. Josy could see her through the window and walked over to open her door.

“Happy Friday!” Angela cheered with her arms in the air. “Josy, we have to eat out tonight! To celebrate this awful week coming to a glorious close.”

“I don’t know . . . ,” Josy muttered, climbing on her bed.

“Josy! You can’t be sad forever about not getting those tickets.”

“They’re not just tickets, Angela. It was my only chance to see EXO live in concert. When will they ever come to Phoenix again??? Possibly never!”

“You will get another chance,” Angela cut in. “I feel it in my heart that everything will work out, but nothing will get better if you stay in bed. We have to go out tonight. Come on!”

“Fine,” Josy grumbled. “Go get your purse, then we can head out.”

*    *    *

Spinelli’s was known for two things. Their late hours and delicious pizza slices the size of someone’s head. Also fried oreos.

The two girls sat on the second level of the restaurant, greasy slices of pizza set before each of them.

“This pizza is my jam,” Angela said. “Pizza is just my jam in general.”

“It’s too quiet,” Josy said.

“Do you want me to sing to you?” Angela asked eagerly.

“No. Not really” Josy grumbled

Angela threw her arms in the air and began to sing the misheard lyrics of EXO in order to make her friend possibly laugh and feel better. “‘Listen! Enjoy the mayo!’” she started singing from ‘History’. As soon as the words came out of Josy buried her head in her hands in embarrassment. Angela quickly transitioned to ‘Wolf’, saying, “‘Heyyyyyy! Drop a duck!”

Two guys sitting near the group looked over at the spectacle. Despite how embarrassed Josy was, Angela didn’t stop until their waiter awkwardly interrupted to ask if they needed anything else.

“A round of fried oreos and a fried smore for myself please!” Angela ordered, not bothering to even act embarrassed about her actions.

“Those guys were staring at you! I’m pretty sure in a bad way,” Josy whispered.

Angela started laughing, holding onto her side, and soon Josy couldn’t help but laugh and she started to feel better.

The dessert was brought out, and there really was no stopping the girls from devouring the oreos and smores.

“Okay, we should probably get going,” Angela said after she ate her oreos. “We’ve been here for like two hours now, and it’s basically midnight.”

“I can’t help that I have a late lab,” Josy laughed.

Halfway down Mill Avenue, Angela nudged Josy in the side. “So did you enjoy my show? That was special for you, Jo Ba. It’s almost as good as a real EXO show right? I know I’m crazy talented.

Angela then suddenly burst into song and dance again for Josy. She reached out and grabbed Josy’s shoulder, singing, “‘Girlllll, I can’t explain what I feel.” People in the street looked over to see what the spectacle was. Even the guys earlier from Spinelli’s was around and stopped to see what the fuss was about.

Josy snorted and started laughing at Angela’s little performance. Angela sang loudly, flailing her arms around so wildly that she accidentally whacked one of the guys from Spinelli’s walking behind her. the cap he was wearing fell to the ground and he bent quickly to pick it up.

“I am so sorry!” Angela profusely apologized with a look of shock and horror on her face.

Although the look on Angela’s face was bound to be hilarious, Josy wasn’t looking at her friend’s face, but at the face of the guy that she had just attacked. He quickly pulled his cap on over his eyes, but by then even Angela stopped apologizing and was staring quizzically at him and his friend.

“Holy …you’re…you’re” she trailed off, too surprised to continue her thought.

“Aren’t you two from EXO??” Angela blurted.

“It’s Baekhyun and Suho,” Josy whispered in awe. “And you just hit Suho!”

“Uhhhhh,” Angela groaned, “uhhhhh, sorry.”

“It’s alright. You recognize us?” Suho asked. He glanced around dodgily, pulling his cap further down.

“Don’t worry!” Angela shouted, “we won’t cause a commotion!”

Baekhyun quickly shushed her, and urged everyone from out of the middle of the street, “We’re drawing too much attention! Over here! He led everyone to a somewhat more secluded area, away from all of the packed bars on Mill.

“What if paparazzi catches you two bringing two young girls into an alleyway?” Angela mentioned. “You could be branded as erts just like Seungri.”

An awkward silence followed. The four stared at each other and Angela realized that she should really do something about always offending foreigners.

“Don’t say stuff like that, Angela, it’s not cool.” Josy scolded.

“I’m sorry again. I promise I don’t always attack and insult strangers,” Angela said.

“Wait, so what are you two doing here?” Josy asked. “Don’t you have a concert tomorrow?”

“We just wanted to see the sights and grab food,” Baekhyun admitted. He sheepishly smiled and pulled his black jacket closer around him, afraid of others recognizing him.

“Where is the rest of the group?” Josy questioned. As excited as she was to be meeting Suho and Baekhyun, she wanted to meet all of them, especially, Sehun. She had always found him to be really funny and down to earth. She could barely control herself around the two, she couldn’t imagine meeting everyone. But like her friend, she played it cool, not wanting to seem like a loser in front of her all time favorite group, EXO. Angela had already filled the allotted embarrassment quota for the night.

“Some of them are back at the hotel. It wouldn’t be inconspicuous if we all just always traveled in a group of ten all of the time,” Suho stated.

“That’s cool that you’re sightseeing, but you have a concert tomorrow.”

“It will be fine. Everyone needs a break every once in a while.”

“Uh, so what are you guys planning on doing now?” Angela questioned.

Suho and Baekhyun looked at each other, unsure if they should tell these girls what their plans were. A silence dragged on, and Josy understood that the guys didn’t feel comfortable revealing that info to the girls.

“If you want, we can give you a tour of the campus, you know, since you’re sightseeing.” Josy offered.

“Yeah, have you even seen the ASU campus yet? It’s the biggest university in the United States!” Angela exclaimed.

“It’s midnight, no one is going to recognize you. If anything, you can just pretend you’re Angela’s cousins.” Josy made a valid point, and although the two were still unsure, they wanted to enjoy themselves while they could.

Baekhyun and Suho turned away from the group and spoke in Korean.

“Do you think we should go?” Suho asked. “We don’t even know these people and one of them hit me.”

“Come on, hyung,” Baekhyun replied, “it was just an accident. She was just enjoying herself, plus I think she might have been singing our song, but I’m not sure. It sounded a bit obscure.”

“I don’t know about this Baekhyun-ah.”

“Don’t be such a grandpa! Don’t you want to have a little fun? When else are we going to get a chance to visit the biggest university in the United States.”

Suho sighed, but conceded to the situation.

“We’ll go!” Baekhyun turned around and announced.

The four started heading back toward the campus, not really engaging with each other.

“Well, how’s the tour going?” Josy asked as she led the group through the campus.

“It’s going good, we meet a lot of cool fans,” Suho answered.

“That’s tight.”

Things got quiet again until they reached Old Main. There were barely any people out on the streets.

“See, campus is super empty right now because it’s Friday so everyone is getting turnt,” Angela pointed out.

“Turnt?” Baekhyun and Suho asked simultaneously.

“Uh you know, turn up? Par-tay?”

“We don’t really do that because we’re always working,” Suho admitted.

“You guys want to go get turnt then? ASU is one of the biggest party schools, so there’s always a ton of parties,” Angela suggested.

“Yeah, we should,” Josy agreed. “You’ll get to experience an ASU party!.”

“Well, this is our only chance to do this. So let’s go!” Baekhyun decided, wanting to live life in the moment. He realized that he would never get such a chance again to go to a college party.

Suho’s eyes nearly popped out of his head, and he grabbed Baekhyun’s arm, “We have a concert tomorrow! We can’t!”

“Don’t be such a downer, hyung!” Baekhyun scoffed, shrugging his arm away, “We’ll just go out for a little bit, have some fun and unwind before tomorrow!”

“I don’t know, it sounds like a really bad idea . . .” Suho trailed off, looking between both of the girls.

“Come on, we’ll make sure you guys are safe and get back to your hotel,” Angela said convincingly. “We’re smart about these things.”

Baekhyun stepped closer to the girls, “Fine, Grandpa, just go back to the hotel, and I’ll go without you.”

“Alright! We have to go get ready, so you can see our dorm,” Josy cheered excitedly, leading Angela and Baekhyun towards the crosswalk. Suho was left standing alone as the group moved away, and he internally debated what to do before accepting that he would have to go to the party.

With a groan, Suho yelled at the group, “Wait up! I’ll come with!” And jogged to catch up with them.

*    *    *

Baekhyun and Suho sat awkwardly in the courtyard at the girls dorm. It had already been half an hour since the girls went to get ready.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter