Five

You Got Spooked!

 


    5 a new girl 

 

Jumie could list down a couple of places she'd rather be than the office as she waited for her appending doom. Yoongi and his friends were crowding around the couch, but it was apparent that his friends were trying to pacify him, for his eyes looked less life-threatening than before. Still, the girl remained standing a good distance away from them.

 

"Hey," The one called Jimin—she believed—turned to her. "You're that tomato girl. I'm really sorry for screaming at you before."

 

Jumie blinked. She wasn't exactly surprised to find him remember her, but she wondered if he only remembered her as 'tomato girl', as there were a lot of unique names others so lovingly gave her.

 

Immersed in her own thoughts, she didn't realize that she'd forgotten to respond back to the boy, which caused him to slowly close his mouth with a sulky frown.

 

"Why do you apologize for?" asked Yoongi snappily. "Did you forget that she was the one that got cuts on your arm? And let's not forget about the disgusting mess she got me into."

 

Namjoon subconsciously winced at Yoongi's brutal remark. Despite agreeing that Jang Jumie was the one to blame for their situation, he didn't really like how Yoongi handled the situation.

 

"Just be thankful that they have extras for you to wear." mumbled Namjoon.

 

"Shut it." Yoongi told him. Grumbling, he crossed his arms, already missing the comforting leather of his jacket, which had been replaced by one of the souvenirs T-shirt the workers had given him in apology. Thankfully they had promised to buy him a new one, although he still had his head set on complaining to the manager. After getting puked on, who could blame him?

 

At the sound of approaching steps, they glanced at the only door in the office. A masked kid in doctor attire stormed into the office and strutted towards the main desk, greeting them all with subtle nods and squinting eyes, which indicated that he was smiling under the mask. He then plopped ungracefully behind the desk. Yoongi exchanged looks with his friends. Was this some kind of joke? Who was this kid supposed to be?

 

"Water boy." Jumie quietly spoke up. Yoongi raised his eyebrows at her, mentally scratching his head, confused.

 

The boy pulled down his mask, revealing a young face that hadn't reached puberty yet. He grinned at her. "To be more exact, I'm Uncle Bong's nephew—Jeon Jungkook."

 

Yoongi raised an uninterested hand, ceasing the kid's next words, earning him a pout from the middle schooler. "Yeah; now, where's the manager around here, kid?"

 

"I'm the manager." said Jungkook simply.

 

"What?" Jimin abruptly stood up with a disbelief look that could only express how unfair he felt. "How can that be? You're not even my age!"

 

"Well, not really. My uncle owns this place." said Jungkook. "And I'm not that young. I'll be fifteen next year."

 

"Isn't that comforting?" said Jimin sarcastically. Namjoon, who was watching from the sides, could only rub his face. He already had enough of arguing children at home as it was.

 

"Then where is this uncle of yours?" demanded Yoongi impatiently.

 

"Oh, he's in LA. In the mean time, I'll be in charge around here. Isn't this great or what?" giggled Jungkook. If it wasn't for the situation, Yoongi might find the kid amusing, but he wasn't in the good mood for bunny-toothed fools that had too much sugar for dessert.

 

"This is bullsh*t!" Yoongi exclaimed, throwing his hands up, as he didn't expect a thing from the overexcited boy.

 

"Uh, I'd refrain from swearing in front of children if I were you, hyung." said Jimin timidly.

 

Jungkook narrowed his eyes at him. "For your information, I'm almost as tall as you, and I'm only fourteen, hyung-nim."

 

Jimin was about to talk back about how disrespectful youngsters these days were when Yoongi grabbed his collar, dragging him towards the door, leaving verbal profanities in his trail, clearly unsatisfied with how the management around here worked. In spite of that, the older male wasn't going to waste his time dealing with these morons.

 

Namjoon bowed at Jungkook and Jumie, mainly out of courtesy, and followed after his friends, but before the door closed on him, he turned around and gently smiled at Jumie, who obviously still felt guilty.

 

"See you tomorrow, Jumie-shi."

 



When Jumie awoke, there was a sweet scented mix of spices and broth creeping up her nose, snapping her out of her half-conscious state. She rubbed her eyes sleepily as she followed after the mouth-watering aroma drifting from the kitchen. She hadn't eaten anything since last night, as she had unceremoniously barfed all of her supper on Min Yoongi; this stomach needed to be filled immediately.

 

Mrs. Son was setting up the small table when her granddaughter walked in. "Jumie? Aren't you getting ready?" Mrs. Son raised an eyebrow, glancing at the time—it wasn't exactly early.

 

"You're home." stated Jumie suddenly, already planting herself on one of the chairs. "Did something happen at work?"

 

Mrs. Son forced on a smile. "Nothing too serious, dear. How about you? You seemed unusually exhausted last night."

 

The girl recalled Jimin's blood-curdling scream, Yoongi's dead stare and Namjoon's gentle smile. It was indeed an unusual night.

 

"Well, I did meet some friends." she muttered inaudibly.

 



Jumie almost ran into a car as she cycled swiftly towards the closing school gate. She didn't have anyone else to blame but herself for being late, but it was worth it as she got her lunch packed with her grandmother's cooking.

After making sure the chain of her bike was secured to the bike post, she quickly headed for her class.

 

Her steps, however, slowed, when she saw a familiar figure by the staircase to her homeroom. Noticing her, Sanbyul smirked and beckoned her over.

The girl took a step back, unintentionally bumping into someone behind her, causing her to lose her footing as she started to trip towards the ground, but the person, with fast reflexes, quickly grabbed her shoulders, holding her steady.

 

"Be careful." They told her.

 

Jumie whirled around in intention to thank the person, only to meet with the spectacular sight of a bespectacled girl smiling warmly at her. She looked like she was a freshman from how smooth her uniform was, and she even had the school ribbon tied, something everyone in Daegu High purposely forgot to do. But there was one thing Jumie hadn't missed about the new girl: her friendly tone.

 

"Hello, I'm Choi Chanmi." The girl extended her hand. Jumie took a double take at the new girl's action. It wasn't everyday someone decided to approach her and offer an amiable handshake.

 

"I'm new here so can you please show me the way to class 3A?"

 

 

 

 


                                                                                                                                                                                             eg *  

 

 


    author's note 
 
The cameo appearance of the toothy maknae! Any of you guys find Yoongi's swearing amusing? *Me! Me!*

 

 

Please be patient with me and my slow updates.

Edited on 09.06.2016