Fourteen

You Got Spooked!

    14 chaos 
 

     
 

Namjoon thought it was a good idea to leave Taehyung the clown at the video arcade whilst they grabbed dinner at the food court. Yoongi expressed second thoughts to the idea, because Taehyung didn't seem the rational type to be left alone on his own but the older eventually shrugged it off in the end. A few minutes getaway wouldn't hurt.

 

As soon as they reached their destination, Yoongi could feel his mouth salivating at the tempting aroma of burgers and steaks. Besides a few snack bars and the half-eaten hotteok (which Taehyung had finished off, ignoring the fact that it was contaminated), Yoongi hadn't have any decent meal for the day, and he wouldn't be surprised to find himself devouring a whole cow from the agonizing sounds his stomach was making.

 

They decided to wait in line in front of a fast food restaurant, resisting the urge to shout at the workers for the slow service as the line grew longer.

"Ok, what's with the clown costume?" inquired Jimin, voicing out the precise question that had been lingering on Yoongi's mind, which he had chosen to ignore due to his starvation.

 

Namjoon sighed heavily. "Apparently he was under a strong impression that Daegu was a demon-infested land."

 

"And who, may I ask planted that on the kid's mind?" asked Yoongi, turning over his shoulder to stare at the taller boy.

 

Namjoon paused, a small rueful smile made its way to his lips. Jimin gawked, looking at his older friend in disbelief. "You sly jerk."

 

"Yah!" Namjoon quickly protested. "If you were in my place, you would do the same thing. That kid is just too weird and hyper for me to control."

"Well, you seem to be ok with Jumie-noona," mused Jimin, sneaking a glance at Yoongi. "And she isn't actually the average type of person out there either."

 

"That's different," Namjoon told him. Yoongi reflected on what his friend actually said before smiling deviously, nudging him at the sides, "Now don't tell me you have something for her, Joonie?"

 

Namjoon pulled a face at the nickname, silently wishing that Taehyung was abducted by aliens now and then. "You guys have gone bonkers."

 

Jimin eyed Yoongi and then shrugged, dismissing the ridiculous thought that involved his two favourite seniors (Namjoon would kill him for saying this) liking each other. It's too good to be true.

 

Jumie felt so tired tonight that she didn't brother removing her makeup or changing into a more convenient wardrobe as she chose to trudge around the shopping area with tattered patient robe, scaring people as they kept their distance away from her. She had done it quite a few times before and therefore didn't see the reason to not go home like a resurrected zombie that she was.

 

Jumie walked out of the woman's restroom, heading for the big archway, which would lead outside of the shopping area, when a pair of red shoes stepped in her way. Jumie stepped to her right, and the shoes mimicked her actions, she stepped to her left and they repeated that as well. Huffing, she felt quite snappy as she wanted nothing more than to get home and sleep like the dead. But it looked like some hormonal boys weren't going to make it easy.

 

The girl looked up, ready to scold the person only to find a familiar grinning clown before her. He bore some semblance of Pennywise the Clown, especially with the fake fangs as he bared it awkwardly at her, but sadly, his genuine happy expression was a contrast to the creepy aura the character supposed to emit. On normal circumstances, she'd feel ecstatic because she was actually a fan of the character itself but for tonight, no amount of ghouls or demons could excite the drained teen.

 

"JJ-noona!" chirped the clown. "Hi!"
 

"What?" she involuntarily snapped. Slightly shocked of her own tone, Jumie cleared and tried again. "Hi, V."

 

"Wow. Nice costume! The demons won't even know that you're a human!" he spoke in an astonished tone, circling around the girl to examine her disguise.

 

An uncomfortable smile settled on her lips. It would take more than a decade for her to be familiar with an unexpected friendship, especially from someone as amiable as Kim Taehyung. But she would lie if she say that she isn't delighted to meet him. He reminded her of herself, in a childish and crazy kind of way.

 

"I guess so." she mumbled.

 

A man suddenly knocked into Jumie's shoulder, almost causing her to topple over if it wasn't for Taehyung who caught her. The man didn't stop to apologize and plodded towards a couple of a man and a woman behind Taehyung, They appeared to be unaware of the fuming man heading their way. Jumie frowned and turned away, disregarding the matter when a yell erupted from the man.

 

"Is this how you repay me? Dumping me for this scumbag?" yelled the man, throwing a fist at the other stunned man, knocking him out cold. The woman screamed and kneeled down, calling out to her boyfriend. The infuriated man, however, yanked her up, and she tried to fight him off.

"No! Let go of me, you drunk!" she shrieked. "There's nothing between us anymore! You can't control me!"

 

In a fury, he unmercifully slapped the devastated woman, and the next second, Jumie found herself marching towards them, her feet moving on their own accord. For a second, her eyes widened in panic, feeling conflicted as both sides of her brain argued.

 

What're you doing? Retreat! Retreat!

 

What? And miss the most exciting part where blood would be spilled? No, sir!

 

You're disgusting.

 

To be fair, you're me. on that!

 

Anyway, in spite of not knowing of what help she could be, she wasn't going to let physical abuse happened under her watch. But before she could do anything, Taehyung had already reached them in a swirl of red hair and powdered face.

 

"Yah! You let go of her or I'll call the police." announced Taehyung with a ridiculous pose of an intimidating clown. The man boggled at Taehyung for a little while.

 

Seeing an opportunity, Taehyung didn't stop there as he lunged forward, but the man quickly recovered from his small reverie and grabbed a nearby block of wood, swinging it fiercely. "Get back! Get back!"

 

Taehyung dodged the hit and stepped back, his red wig slipping from his dark brown locks. People started to clustered around the demented man; men searching for an opening to help the poor lady, who was struggling under the abuser's clutch.

 

During the conflict, Jumie noted a harmless cafe table besides her, and she took it impulsively, chucking it at the man. The man yelped and subconsciously loosened his hold on the woman, and he bashed the table into pieces. Jumie stared at the remnants of broken wood, figuring she'd have to pay for the damage later. Opps.

 

Taehyung's eyes lightened and he too grabbed a drawer, tossing it like it was the lightest thing towards the man, although he was quick to hit it to the side with a yelp. He didn't suffer no injury, though, as a scratch of red now adorned his forearm.

 

"Quick! Get that son of a b*tch!" yelled an unmistakably familiar voice.

 

Much to Jumie's bewilderment, Yoongi came right out of the sidelines, a chair in hands. He successfully took the man by surprise with his battle cry, and the furniture crashed into the man's head. The man recoiled back with a stream of blood at the corner of his head before raising the club at Yoongi, who was completely unarmed but still taunted the enraged man.

Madness broke out as the crowd of men around them immediately moved in waves and intercepted the man with everything they could get their hands on—plastic chairs, desks, even to the extent of a closet being throw at the crazy man. At the last blow, Yoongi used the chance to knock the club out of the man's hand and delivered him a punch that sent him sprawling to the ground.

 

Not long after, the police and ambulance arrived, restraining the snarling culprit with handcuffs and dragging him to the police cruiser. The medic began to attend to the injuries, which included the woman's boyfriend, who seemed to regain consciousness throughout the scuffle.

 

"Sunbae," called Jumie, jumping when Yoongi's gaze was on her, his eyes as blank as usual. "Your arm is bleeding."

 

"Hmm? I did?" Yoongi squirmed around to look at his arm. He looked down in shock at the gash under his elbow, proclaiming that he hadn't feel a twinge from a cut before.

 

"Here." Jumie casually tugged on his other hand, motioning him to come closer so she could see the wound. It wasn't deep; a first-aid treatment would do. She started to rub the cut with an ointment she'd brought.

 

Where did the sudden bold action come from? The girl asked herself. But she couldn't deny the small admiration she felt for him, after seeing him coming with a helping hand (or more like a flying chair). Or maybe it's because of how he unconsciously copied her actions that caused the throbbing in her heart.

 

As she worked, Yoongi's dark eyes stayed on hers, scanning through her face painted face. Everything about her gave off scary vibes, with makeup or not. At first blush, he came across her as a weak horror freak. Yet she seemed to try to prove him wrong in various ways.

 

"Ow!" Yoongi winced from the sudden pressure she had applied on his arm, and he grabbed her hand in instinct. Jumie looked back at him with wide, fearful eyes, trembling, as though she was scared of him. The boy didn't like it one bit.

 

"S-sorry," uttered Jumie, her hand slipped through his hand, fear was evident in her tone.

 

Yoongi palmed his face with a sigh, eyes glancing offhandedly at the exhausted boys not far from them. "You know, you don't have to be scared of me."

 

With that said, both high schoolers reacted differently—Yoongi's face scrunched in bafflement at the unpredicted remark, wondering where did it come from; Jumie touched her face, suddenly feeling quite hot despite the autumn weather.

 

He didn't have the chance to take back his words when a police officer interrupted them. The other exhausted boys stood up, eyes sparkling in awe at the gleaming badge on the officer's chest, everyone except Yoongi who simply eyed the man warily.

 

"Well, thanks to you kids we finally caught the stalker who won't stop harassing Ms. Jung. She can never be more grateful." He strolled over the group.

 

They all shyly nodded, excluding Yoongi who simply scoffed, muttering something along the line about how they should come sooner. Despite hearing him, the inspector still offered a small smile. "There's nothing we can do except offer you guys a ride home. Anyone in?"

 

"Uh, no thanks." said Namjoon, eyes glancing at the amount of people the medic was treating and the strip of plaster Jumie had given him. He felt glares directed his way, specifically from both of the younger boys. "We're good."

 

"Suit yourself. Thank you again." The police officer bowed and left at the call of his colleague.

 

Yoongi exchanged looks with the guys, sighing. His eyes lingering on Jumie, who instantly averted her eyes. "Let's go home." he offered, to which everyone agreed silently.

 

     
 

                                                                                                                                                                                             eg *  
 

     
 

     author's note 
 

    

An update and a super long one!

A few weeks ago, I watched a similar crime scene to this and I laughed hysterically at the ridiculousness. So I have to add it in here.

Edited on 09.10.2016.