Twenty-four + Characters Charts

You Got Spooked!

 

    24  lighter 

 

The morning air of Daegu was shrouded by thick mist; not a beacon of warm sunlight could seep through the heavy fog. Light shower fell from the slate sky, drenching the unfortunate pedestrians as they begrudgingly started the day with a sad yet peaceful note.

 

All except the 17 year old girl, who was battling with her bed sheets as she explored every edges of her bedroom, desperately searching for her lighter, which had mysteriously disappeared the night before yesterday.

 

Now, that was a strange night. The caretaker had found her awake in the tangle of Yoongi's friends limbs as they snoozed comfortably, curling against each other. What confused her even more was that she had no collection of what had happened during that evening.

 

Anyway, Mrs. Son almost had a hysterical fit at the mess her granddaughter had made but quickly learned to disregard it, as the girl was too stubborn to listen. Jumie treasured her belongings, therefore the old woman didn't have the heart to stop her from stripping every nook and cranny of the room clean as she looked for her lost things.

 

The old woman sometimes found her persistence rather endearing. She was sure that if the girl was to have any friend, she'd cherish them wholeheartedly. However, now was not the time, for the school was a few minutes away from starting.

 

"Jang Jumie! At this rate, you're going to be late for school!"

 

When Jumie tried to weasel her way through a truant, it took a whole lot of yelling from the old woman to get her out of the apartment. They were so loud to the point of scaring away the pigeons that happened to be nesting at their balcony.

 

"Jumie, would you be a sweetheart and send this over to the Parks?" the old lady held up a carefully wrapped up lunch box, withholding dozens of traditional rice dumplings. "I made extra, and it just so happens that Mrs. Park would like some."

"Park—Park Jimin?" echoed Jumie as she delicately took the package, her face as thoughtful and curious as ever.

 

Mrs. Son looked at her only granddaughter curiously, arching a greying eyebrow. "That's the eldest son. Is he a friend of yours?"

 

"Sort of." Jumie shrugged with an indecisive edge in her speech as she ignored the bitter pang in her chest, trying to shake away the sad reality. The girl thought of Park Jimin as a dear friend but she was unsure whether it was true on Jimin's behalf. Despite spending quite a deal of time with him and his friends, they didn't really ensure her as a part of their circle.

 

"Well, I'm going," murmured Jumie, her head hanging solemnly as she didn't want to meet with her grandmother's sympathetic eyes.

 

"Hold it," ordered Mrs. Son, stopping the girl by a firm grasp on the shoulder. Jumie tilted her head innocently as the old lady looked down at the small padlock that was slit between the zippers of her school bag. "May I ask why do you lock your bag?"

There was a beep of silence in the apartment in which the grandmother was waiting for the girl's answer.

 

"Um....in a word—" struggled Jumie as she searched through her mental vocabulary—it's a....precaution against the lighter thief?"

 

"The....lighter....thief?" Mrs. Son's wrinkles grew more prominent as she expressed her utter confusion before she eyed Jumie outrageously.

 

"Jang Jumie. You're not going to school like that."

 

The other thing the old woman had forgotten about the girl was that she was quite stubborn if she wanted to. So when the girl escaped through her loosening grasp and ran for it, she was caught completely off guard.

 

"That girl...." complained Mrs. Son with a shake of her head. Despite her frustration, she couldn't help but smiled affectionately at her granddaughter's antics.

 

"If only...."

 

Her eyes had a distant look as the unfinished sentence hung off in the air.

 


"Where is Park Jimin's class?"

 

Apparently that was the wrong thing to ask, as Jumie had spent the entire day approaching every student with the said question only for them to scuttle away from her. Well, the nicer one did that, but for the more popular, stuck up cliques—they would bared their teeth at her, calling her colourful names until she was eventually out of their vicinity.

 

She actually couldn't decide which one of them hurt her more.

 

Anyway, she, having enough of 'Jimin hunting', decided to leave the package at the side of the hallway she was standing. If she wasn't mistaken, the hallway was at the second landing of the first year section of the school. She wasn't that naïve, therefore she left a small note with a big, black FOR PARK JIMIN written on the front. With this, the rice dumplings would undoubtedly be in Jimin's hands.

 

"Um, what are you doing, noona?"

 

Coincidentally, the very person she had been searching for, happened to pass by. Curious as always, Jimin approached her, leaning over her shoulder to see whatever it was in her hands. Jumie stared at him briefly before returning to writing his name on the paper. "Leaving something for Park Jimin to pick up."

 

"Um—ok...Is this some kind of joke?" Jimin gave his head a scratch as he tried to make sense of the situation.

 

Jumie ignored him as she stood up, brushing her skirt and nodding in satisfaction at her little piece of work.


She then turned to face the puzzled Jimin as he looked undecidedly at the rectangular package on the floor.

 

And out of the blue, she asked him. "Where is your class?"

 

At this rate, with the amount of wrinkles on the boy's forehead, Jumie wouldn't be surprised if she found his hair aging grey. "Um, in front of you actually." he pointed at the very door behind him.

 

"Oh." mused Jumie, shifting her eyes at entrance of the said classroom, scaring the underclass men that just happened to linger there.

 

Despite his bafflement, he quietly laughed at her expression. Besides her serious face that only made her rather narrow eyes and greyish complexion more prominent and frightening, she always had that pensive face; he found it rather cute, strangely pretty even.

 

"Oh, yeah!" He snapped his fingers. "Did you get your lighter back, noona?"

 

He immediately regretted asking that as Jumie's demeanour suddenly changed, the sparkle in her eyes was diminished as she glanced in his direction, staring at him enough for him to tremble in absolute fear.

 

He could only describe that when she had that look on, it felt as though she still had a part of Jung Hoseok, the poltergeist in her.

 

"My lighter, you say?" repeated Jumie in a malicious tone, her pen was tightly clenched in her fists as she raised it in a threatening way. "Did you take it?"

Jimin looked fearfully at the pen, which she had jabbing the air. He would really appreciate it if she doesn't start jabbing something else. "M-Min Yoongi-hyung. He took it."

 

At that, Jumie stopped her peculiar movements, her shoulders became noticeably more tense. "Min Yoongi...sunbae?"

 

His senior would murder him for the backstabbing, but at the moment Jimin wanted nothing more than to save his skin, as ashamedly as it was. So he furiously nodded in answer.

 



Wondering how the hot-headed senior would act to her visit, Jumie stood at the front porch of his house, her forefinger hovering a few inches away from the doorbell. In her other hand was the plastic handle of her dripping, polka dotted umbrella, which had served its purpose of preserving her from getting wet. Despite that, her hair wasn't so lucky.

 

Not that she noticed, as she was feeling too uneasy for her own good.

 

She couldn't understand why she was acting this way. She had no reason to be uncomfortable at asking for her lighter back; it wasn't as if she had done anything wrong. It was definitely normal for one student to visit a fellow classmate.

 

But he's not a fellow classmate.

 

The soft voice in her head made her rethink her decision, and she wondered if it would be more appropriate for her to ask Yoongi at school.

 

Before she could even turn around to leave, there was a sound of the wooden door unlocking from inside, and it opened to reveal the eldest son of the Min family.

 

"Hello, may I help you?" asked Yongjun, a bit taken aback to see the girl.

 

"Ah, um..." Jumie corrected her standing posture, her cheeks becoming pink for unknown reasons.

 

 


     

 

 


                                                                                                                                                                                             eg *  

 

 


     

 

 


     author's note 

 

 


  Excuse my extremely slow updates and grammar errors. Since moving into the countryside, I've to take trains to school for an hour and half long. Yup, everyday after school, I'm practically brain-dead from the long ride.

I have finally decide to portray Kwak Jiyoung as our main. Don't you guys think she has the scary chick vibe?