Ten

You Got Spooked!

    10  graffiti 

"A-a-achoo!"

 

Yoongi sniffed as he locked the library door. He stuffed the ring of keys back into his pockets along with his freezing hands and strolled the badly lit corridor. He grew irritated at himself for not having the thought of bringing along a more thicker clothing for that day was as cold as how the weather forecast predicted.

 

His cellphone vibrated, indicating that it had received a message. Pulling the device out, he swiped a thumb across the screen and read the memo sent by his mother:

 

Yoongi, dear, would you be so kind to pick up the neighbour's son on your way home?

 

Pulling a face, Yoongi wrote back a quick reply before stowing away the cellphone, replacing it with his black headphones. He placed them over his head, blasting them to full volume as he jumped down the flight of stairs. Instead of being drowned in music, Yoongi scrunched his eyebrows in concentration, analyzing his own creation. Composing was like a hobby that he had grew addicted to ever since his older brother introduced him to music.

 

Yoongi was silently condemning bits of the tune when he spotted the caretaker on the school ground, flashing the torchlight in his hand, checking the school property. Yoongi stared at the dark silhouette of the old man when he noticed another outline of a mysterious figure sprinted past the caretaker as the man turned towards the other side. The creature zigzagged pass the wide space before jumping into the safety of shadow. Yoongi leaned over the balustrade, almost laughing at the particular stealthy action. His eyes followed after the silhouette as it ran up the stairs, towards the first floor, where the teacher lounge was.

 

Yoongi snorted, shutting the music as he set out for the same destination. This delinquent had a lot going on if he thought he could get away from getting caught. If it wasn't Yoongi who did, then the security footage would definitely caught the punk in action, and the she-devil, Principal Son would have an excuse to expel any unworthy students from her so-called prestigious school.

 

Yoongi stood at the hallway, outside of the teachers lounge, peeking inside. The room was dark, but the ray of the moonlight shone through the window, illuminating the culprit's face. Yoongi's eyes almost popped out of their sockets as he saw Jang Jumie rummaging through the drawers with a small torchlight between her pink lips. He withdrew back, resting his head on the wall. Yoongi was expecting someone like Lee Sanbyul or maybe one of his sidekicks, or god forbade a mischievous ghost that haunted the old buildings. He definitely didn't see this coming.

 

A smile spread on Jumie's lips as she found the only thing she searched for—Sanbyul's student file. She was about to congratulate herself when a bright light blinded her vision momentarily. Jumie realized with a gulp that someone had the light, and there might a few seconds before the other person discovered her. Panicking, Jumie swapped the torchlight with the thick file, wedging it between her teeth before trying to crawl away. That was until she bumped into a pair of shins as she turned around. She stared at the patterns of the school trousers so intense that she was sure she had cross-eyed before slowly looking up at the knees, the thighs, the waist, the chest and the deadpanned face of Min Yoongi.

 

"Hey," said Yoongi quietly.

 

Jumie made a sound between a whimper and a squeak. opened, dropping the file, scattering the documents on the floor. Yoongi sighed heavily and kneeled down in front of her, arranging the papers back into the file, ignoring the girl's shocked expression. Seizing the chance, Jumie tried to retract back when a hand shot out and grabbed her collar.

 

"Don't turn," ordered Yoongi harshly. "Or the security camera will catch your face and you'll never set foot on Daegu High ever again."

 

Jumie gulped and nodded. Yoongi placed the file back to where it belonged, then, he pulled her to her feet and prodded her to move forward, without turning her face to the camera. He flicked off the light switch before closing and locking the door.

 

"Thank you," gasped Jumie, finally releasing the breath she had involuntarily held.

 

"Care to explain what you're still doing here at this ungodly hour?" inquired Yoongi. Jumie stared at him as though she just realised him standing before her. She didn't say anything.

 

Yoongi looked at the black container at the gap of her ped bag, which looked vaguely like a can of graffiti. Jumie realized with a jolt that he was staring at her rucksack, and she tried to block his view, but Yoongi was ahead of her as he snatched her bag and yanked the can out with an askew eyebrow.

 

"So," said Yoongi, waving the can in her flushed face. "Little Jumie finally rebels against the school?"

 

"It's not like that," murmured Jumie.

 

"Oh, yeah? Then what is it?" Yoongi crouched over her face, trying to look at her hidden eyes.

 

Jumie blinked and looked sideway, determined to not let his intimidating aura get to her. If she was to get into trouble, she wouldn't want to worsen it by being honest. She glanced at his face, curious and afraid of his reaction—his face was passive. Catching a crime in act was probably normal for the boy.

 

"Is that you, Yoongi boy?" called a stern man voice from behind the girl. Jumie automatically froze, her eyes widened in fear.

 

"Ah, yeah," Yoongi glanced at the old man with a smile. "I'm just done with the keys here."

 

The old man narrowed his eyes at the still girl, eyeing her suspiciously. "This one here is with you?"

 

Yoongi glimpsed at the trembling Jumie as she pursed her lips in distress. He looked back at the waiting man with a reassuring smile. "Yeah, she is. Helping me with my homework, isn't that right, Jurii?" he casually placed a hand on Jumie's shoulder, and she stiffened.

 

"Y-yes." said Jumie, starting to hate the name everyone mistook her with.

 

"Here you go, gramps." said Yoongi, tossing the keys back to the caretaker. "We'll be going this way then."

 

They both didn't utter a word until they were out of the gate. Jumie retrieved her bicycle, which she had hidden in a nearby bush and walked slightly a few steps behind Yoongi as he walked ahead, trying to warm himself by walking faster. Jumie debated whether she'd thanked him again for helping her or just let the matter dropped. Beyond that, she was puzzled with her own behaviour as she couldn't help feeling like goosebumps whenever he directed his eyes at her or moved a few inches closer to her. The irony is that she thought she could never be scared of something or someone.

 

Yoongi abruptly stopped and looked at her over his shoulder, startling Jumie. His eyebrows raised as he contemplated the girl's rucksack, which was hanging from the handlebar.

 

"You don't happen to have something in there for me to wear, do you?"

 

Jumie frowned. It wasn't that she didn't have one but it was meant for someone else, someone so special that she dared let herself froze in this cold weather. If only her grandmother didn't make her bring the jacket along, she wouldn't have to feel so guilty for not letting Yoongi use it.

 

"Come on, Jumie," urged Yoongi, holding his hand out. "I'm turning blue here and you don't even want to help the guy who saved you from getting expelled."

 

"I don't have one." she lied.

 

Yoongi made an unimpressed face, "Nice try, Jang but I know you're lying."

 

In a flash of movement, he lunged forward and seized the bag so fast that Jumie wasn't able to defend it. Yoongi felt the interior of the bag despite the girl's complaint and pulled out a clean, grey jacket with a triumphant smile.

 

"Told you," he grinned as he donned the clothing.

 

Scowling, Jumie snatched back her rucksack and brushed the places where Yoongi's hands had touched, disgusted by his brattish attitude. Looking up, the scolding died at as she eyed Yoongi in the jacket which fit him perfectly, even though it was slightly shorter around the waist. There was no mistake that he looked familiar with the jacket on.

 

"What?" asked Yoongi.

 

"You're him." she exclaimed.


     
 

                                                                                                                                                                                             eg *  
 

     
 

     author's note 
 

  

Wahaha! What do you guys think? Is Yoongi the one?

I think this chapter is too long for my liking but whatever, it's because I'm thankful to all the readers, including the silent ones.

And I just wanna say congrats to Rapmon and...please be safe...