Fifteen

You Got Spooked!

    15 brother

 

Mrs. Min stood by her youngest son's sprawled figure, eyes boring holes into his skull, though her effort was of no avail, since Yoongi didn't budge from his deep sleep. She could tell he was up all night working on assigned schoolwork, as crumpled papers of scribble notes and calculations surrounded the snoring boy. Shaking her head, she briefly considered giving him five more minutes of break when a young man of tall coincidentally passed by the room and saw his mother's thoughtful demeanour.

"Morning, mom," The boy's brown orbs travelled downward before an amused grin making its way on his lips at the sight of his little brother. "Uh—need some help here?"

Mrs. Min shook her head, heading for the door. "Let him sleep, Yongjun; he has been studying a bit too hard these days."

"Kay," He swooped down, surprising her with a kiss on the cheek. The aged lady recovered herself and chuckled lightly, making her way downstairs.

When Mrs. Min was out of sight, Yongjun pivoted around to face the sleeping Yoongi; a glint of mischief in his eyes. Two years away from home had done him wonders as he missed his loved ones more than ever, prompting him to show fondness towards them unexpectedly. And there was only one way to show affection between brothers.

Screw sleep, dear baby brother. That was his last thought before he leaped onto the bed, and the mattress shook violently from his bounces. "Earthquake!" he shouted.

The booming announcement and the quivering perception was enough to jolt Yoongi awake, and in panic, he scrambled to the side, grunting as his body ached when he hit the hard floor. The younger boy pushed himself up, stumbling on the way and reached for the door, not noticing the guffaws coming from the other boy.

"MOM!"

Not too long after that, the Min family members gathered around the dining table, enjoying breakfast with the exception of Yoongi who was still grumpy at the earlier wake-up call. Mr. and Mrs. Min exchanged looks of arched eyebrows at their two sons' shenanigans—Yongjun dunked his head downward, stifling a laugh as Yoongi sent glares down his way. In embarrassment, the younger boy kept quiet about his big brother's joke, not wanting to humiliate himself further than necessary.

"Yoongi, eat your breakfast," lectured Mrs. Min. "You have a lot to do today."

Yongjun perked up in interest. "What's the occasion?"

Yoongi resisted the urge to go rampage at the thought of his big brother coming to his school. Playing a practical joke on him was one thing but prying into his personal life was intolerable. Even though he knew that it was effortless, the younger boy wouldn't go down without a fight. "Mind your own business," he gritted his teeth.

"Yoongi, be nice to your brother," chided Mrs. Min with a reproachful look. Yoongi groaned in frustration and started to dig into a porridge in front of him. Mr. Min, who was sitting beside him, merely smiled as he sipped a cup of tea; eyes returning back to the newspaper in his hands. Like Yoongi, he wasn't a man of many words. Yoongi could only guess where his other unusual traits came from.

"Oh, and Yongjun-ah, why don't you send your brother off at his school? They have sport day today." suggested Mrs. Min nonchalantly.

"OH, COME ON!"

 

The exhilarated roars did little to calm her nerves.

Jumie felt beads of sweat trickling down her neck despite the fine weather Mother Nature had provided today. She chose to stay inside the tent, hearing thunderous cheers from the crowd as each representatives of their houses competed against each other on the running track. She felt slightly guilty for not supporting her own house but at the same time, she didn't feel the needs to waste her breath for Lee Sanbyul, who unfortunately was her house runner. She'd cheer on Park Jimin (despite him being a threat to her house) but at the moment she was too preoccupied with the next event—high jump.

Few minutes later, the mixture of groans and applause told Jumie that the track events had reached to its conclusion. In her daze, she didn't realize that an irked Sanbyul had barged into the tent, all soaked in sweats and grime from running. He briefly gave her a glance and stomped towards the back, tousling his hair in exasperation before sinking into a chair and closing his eyes. The other filed in after him, looking equally crestfallen; some glared at Sanbyul, blaming him for their defeat.

Jumie flinched when a waving hand emerged out of nowhere, and she craned her neck to blink at Chanmi who looked quite unperturbed regardless of the dirty looks people sent her because of the red headband that adorned her dark locks—they considered it as an insult, for their house was green.

"Are you ready?" asked Chanmi gently; a slight curve on her lips. She let out a suppressed giggle when Jumie responded with a vigorous shake of head.

"I don't want to do this, unnie," said Jumie hopelessly as the older girl pulled her to her feet. "Why do they have to choose me? I may upset the spirits for taking part in this event."

"Is that what you're worried about?" Chanmi tried hard to not roll her eyes.

"They can be quite vengeful." said Jumie, shrugging.

"You'll be fine," reassured Chanmi, rubbing the girl's arm repeatedly. She frowned as she found that the girl was wearing a pair of extra black shirtsleeves, covering her forearms which wasn't required in their sport outfits. No wonder she was so pale. Without warning, the older girl tugged on the hems of the garment, eliciting a yelp of surprise from Jumie.

"Unnie!" cried Jumie, reaching out to cover her arms again but Chanmi stopped her, laughing giddily to see the confounded expression on her face; she looked like she had been assaulted.

"Hey, come on. You need to show off more of your skin." Chanmi ran after Jumie as she evaded the older's hands and edged away from her.

"I swear I'm going to give you a makeover, Jang Jumie." threatened Chanmi when Jumie tried to find fortress from Namjoon who merely disregarded them as he stretched out on the ground.

"No!" squealed Jumie, swerving out of Chanmi's reach to run the other way when she crashed into a solid figure and fell face-first on the grass. The impact rendered her slightly dizzy but she was able to hear the slow drumming of footsteps approaching her.

Jumie quickly got up, spitting stray grasses and hair strands and saw a hand in front of her, waiting to be grabbed. Thinking it belonged to Chanmi, she grabbed it in reassurance.

 

     
 

                                                                                                                                                                                             eg *  
 

     
 

     author's note 
 

  How long has it been? I realize something during my small hiatus that it's almost inevitable to not write the next paragraph for this story, since this is where I note down the bizarre occurrences of my life. And the guilt of not updating is killing me like crazy! So, yeah, I'm back for the moment. Updates will be quite irregular and random so be patient with me, guys!

Once again, thank you to those who support this story, whether it's known or anonymous. Oh, and sorry if I have somehow forgotten to reply to your comments. You guys probably know by now that I have limited internet access. Sigh...

Edited 11.10.2016.