Sixteen

You Got Spooked!

    16 wrong 
 

     

Jumie knew something was eerily wrong. She could blame it on her nerves but there was no denying that goosebumps were forming on her arms as she felt a sharp nip on her skin, even though she had made sure to wear enough clothing.

 

It was as if something had brushed past her.

 

She meant to thank the person who had generously helped her up but instead hurriedly released his hand and took a few steps back to stare apprehensively at the boy before her. It was Hyuk, the youngest of Sanbyul's group of friends.

 

The boy seemed unfazed of her rude gesture and smiled cheerfully, bowing in greeting, which once again caught her off guard. His dishevelled brown hair bounced lightly, suggesting either he had warming up for the next upcoming event or finishing a make out session with some random girl. He then looked back up and exchanged an eye contact. For a brief second, Jumie swore she saw a flicker of movement behind his eyes before it disappeared, and the same innocent look planted on his face.

 

"Is there something on my face, Jumie-shi?" asked Hyuk, raising a gloved hand in question; a striking blue that indicated he was on the blue house.

 

She blinked at him—she was absolute certain she had seen something.

 

Chanmi interrupted the uncomfortable interaction as she jumped into the vicinity; a few loose hair strands surrounded her face. She then bent forward, one hand clutching the younger girl's shoulder while the other grabbing her knee. "Slow down next time, will you?" she demanded breathlessly. Noticing another unknown presence among them, she let out a half-smile and bowed her head in acknowledgement at Hyuk. "Oh, hello, I didn't see you there."

 

Hyuk politely smiled in return, which prompted Jumie to cast Chanmi a worried look, for he was never polite as a junior. "Jump high, sunbae-nims."

 

Jumie tilted her head as she didn't fully comprehend his words before recalling an indistinct belief of seeing his name on a piece of paper that imprinted the list of high jump contestants' names.

 

Chanmi laughed good-heartedly, looping an arm around Jumie's as she hurried the younger girl away. "Thanks, kid!"

 

She had an unsettling suspicion that an accident waiting to happen.

 


 

Yoongi leaped across the ground with one strong jump and landed on the sand, marking the ground with his two irregular shapes of footprints. He staggered forward, regaining his footing before turning to look at his accomplishment. The spectators held their breath as the judges stepped forward to scrutinized the lengths between each contestant's footprints and the strip of wood, the starting point of all jumps.

 

Yoongi didn't need to look twice to know that he'd earned a decent second place for the blue house. There was a short distance between his and the green jumper's footprints—the latter was ahead of him by a hand's breadth. His housemates didn't seem particularly happy with the results, but it was still adequate nonetheless than last place. Yoongi, however, shrugged it off, since he simply participated to humor to his housemates' request.

 

The long jump winner was mobbed joyously by a herd of teenagers with emerald flags and headbands as they applauded him for the win. Amidst the frenzy, Yoongi noticed Yongjun struggling through the crowd, trying to reach his little brother with feigned disappointed glint in his eyes. Yoongi could already imagine the amount of taunts and nonsensical lectures he'd received from the elder.

 

But there were times when Yoongi found his small physique as somewhat of a value. Like effortlessly disappearing into the mass of his peers and ditching Yongjun, for instance.

 

"Yoongi-ah, come back here!"

 

That's the last thing I'm going to do. He internally retorted as he wound around the students, heading for the east side of the field, where the high jump event took place, eventually losing him in the crowd.

 

Petty antagonisms and edginess was high in the atmosphere as pupils made a beeline for the specific location, excited for the last event that would finally determine this year Sport Champion. Even though Yoongi was on the opposing side, he'd definitely root for the red house. They had practically prevailed over both houses at the running track earlier before, thanks to Jimin and Chanmi's excessive speed.

 

At the thought of the girl, Yoongi started to feel twitchy to the point of wanting to tear his hair out. He didn't see the need for his childhood friend to volunteer wholeheartedly for another sport event, especially after she'd already won her house a gold medal. For all he knew, she might be whipped before she could even hop an inch. But the girl was too nice for her own good.

 

She tried to elaborate, but it only piqued him to realize that she participated merely for the sake of that horror girl, accompanying her.

 

Yoongi then frowned when a whirlwind of emotions hit him, attacking his guts and rendering him confused. He remembered how vulnerable Jumie looked like when he grabbed her wrist. Unlike how comforted he felt when he thought of Chanmi, he felt something entirely far from comfort around Jumie these days.

 

As he was absorbed in his negative aspect of the future, he didn't notice a sneaking apparition inching towards him from behind, hopping over with their hands raised. Before they could even scare the hell out of the senior, Yoongi whirled around, his hand lunging forward to catch the culprit. "Gotcha."

 

"Ah! Hyung! My eyes!"

 

Yoongi calmly stared at Jimin, who was flailing about in his vicelike grip. The younger boy's face was in Yoongi's palm while his finger dug into the junior's eyelids, spontaneously pricking his eyes. "You pick the wrong guy to play with, kid," sighed Yoongi, eventually setting Jimin free when he started to whimper.

 

Jimin let out a distressed groan and rubbed his maltreated eyes, blinking as he pouted dejectedly at Yoongi. "It usually works with Joonie-hyung," he murmured unhappily.

 

Yoongi chuckled, his lips curling into a wide grin. The nickname had gone completely viral, and he was sure wannabe manly Namjoon wasn't going to be happy with his cousin again. "Yeah, well, I'm pretty much used to weird, unexpected advances."

 

"Weird, unexpected advances?" pried Jimin, squinting eyes at him.

 

"Never mind," Yoongi shook his head before motioning at the gathering students near them. "Now are we going to see our Joonie-hyung or what?"

 

Jimin rolled his eyes and ducked out of Yoongi's stretching hand before it could smack him in the head. With a gasp, Jimin retreated away when a growl resonated from the older boy's throat.

 

They arrived just in time for the event to begin for the male jumpers. Jimin went ahead of Yoongi to join his housemates as they raised red flags and cheered boisterously for Namjoon, who looked a bit green despite himself. The tall male queued in line behind Sanbyul's friend and a guy with a green snapback, letting them do the first honour. Yoongi gave Namjoon a thumbs up when the younger met his gaze, disregarding the desperate tint in Namjoon's eyes.

 

As the snapback kid made his first move, Yoongi felt an indistinct migraine coming up from all the ear-splitting screams and mutters behind him.

 

"The others don't know what they're up against. Here goes Chan..."

 

"Waah...Hyuk-oppa is so cool.."

 

"Is Namjoon ok though? He looks like he's in pain..."

 

"NO!"

 

"Oooh...looks like the green house ain't going to win this year."

 

Chan, the snapback kid was the first one to lose as he sent the bar clanging on the ground thrice, earning the green house zero point, which somehow made the two remaining houses cheered, both desired the glimmering championship.

 

The exception for one boy, who barely tolerated through the racket as a vein in his neck pulsed in restraint. He was a few seconds away from exploding, and that was never a good thing.

 

"GO! HYUKKIE—

 

"Yah! Shut—he turned, about to give the people behind a piece of his mind, only to falter when he came face to face with a very shaken Jumie as she took a wary step back. Seeing that, Yoongi gradually calmed and pulled back, ruffling his hardly blond hair. He then raised his eyebrows at her questioningly, grounding his teeth impatiently as he waited for her to speak.

 

Jumie snapped close and averted her eyes, fingers playing with the extra sleeves on her forearms. She had no idea where she'd plucked up the courage to walk up to Yoongi before, but this was an important matter, and she couldn't simply turn back now, especially if it was about something worth his while.

 

"Look, if you don't want to talk, then—

 

"A-ankle." blurted Jumie, shrinking back when the boy knitted his eyebrows at her, staring at her for so long that she felt self-conscious. "He sprained an ankle."

 

"What?"

 

Jumie darted a terrified gaze at someone over his shoulder. Suspicious, Yoongi turned to see Namjoon sprinting towards the bar, his teeth sunk into his bottom lips. Trails of sweat cascaded down his forehead when he tried not to limp as he ran. That was before an unknown force pulled his ankle, the sprained one, and he stumbled.

 

Yoongi watched in horror as his best friend crashed onto the ground, crying in pain as he reached for his ankle. But his consciousness voiced out the particular question in his mind.

 

How?

 

     
 

                                                                                                                                                                                             eg *  
 

     
 

     author's note 
 

    

At least I try with this one, right? Hehe, sorry for the long wait and mistakes here. I seriously find this chap boring. Things about to rile up between our two mains though. Wahaha!

Oh and shouts out for ntshkim for the epic poster! Make sure to check out her shop, ok?

And Dustwolf'13 for helping me at improving my sense of humor. I love you, girl!