Three

You Got Spooked!
3 their 
 

Jumie stepped into the apartment and silently welcomed herself home. Her eyebrows scrunched up in bafflement as she observed the different arrangement of the slippers. She didn't put them that way, did she? "Grandma?” called Jumie.

 

She heard the clattering of pots from the kitchen, and her grandmother's wrinkled face popped out with a chopstick in her shaking hand. Her eyes doubled in size when she looked at Jumie. "My goodness! What happened to you?" Mrs. Son asked worriedly, hobbling over to her granddaughter.

 

"I'm fine," Jumie smiled, gently removing the chopstick from her hand. "Resting is better for you at the moment, grandma. A day of working is not healthy for an elderly."

 

Mrs Son arched an eyebrow. "Yah, are trying to say that I'm old and frail?"

 

"In a way, yes?" Jumie said, tilting her head in confusion. She really didn't know why her grandma seemed to be amused.

 

Mrs. Son waved her hand dismissively. "I may be old but there's no stopping me from taking care of my only granddaughter. Now, will you tell me what really happened at school or should I take extreme measures?"

 

Jumie bit her lips, deciding not to lie as Mrs. Son was an experienced woman, which meant she could detect lies. "I like tomatoes but they aren't that nice to smell?"

 

Mrs. Son stared into her eyes and let out a defeated sigh, Jumie's cheek. "I've to return to work after this. Wash up and take a few bites before going to your part-time job, and we'll discuss about this later."

 

Jumie nodded and went to her bedroom, which was at the end of the apartment. Mrs. Son's eyes followed Jumie as she disappeared into her room, and then she returned back to the kitchen, tending to her boiling broth.

 

 

The seafood stew was delicious but Jumie regretted eating her fourth bowl. She was so immersed into her food that she forgot that she had almost ten minutes left to get to work and getting her make up and costume ready. She had to drag herself away from the kitchen and rode her bicycle towards the town square, where Yokdeok's Mental Hospital was stationed.

 

It stood out the most amongst the neighbour buildings and looked even more menacing in the darkness of the night, with huge cracks and smears of dried blood along the walls. Silhouettes were seen at the barred windows, giving the feeling that you've been watched.

 

The entrance was already crowded with lines of daring teenagers; some were gripping their tickets excitedly, and others were gulping nervously at the daunting building in front of them. Jumie parked the bicycle and jumped towards the back door, swiping her employee card.

 

She peered into the dressing room, making sure that the coast was clear. Her acquaintances were already at their stations, prepping their acting, while the coordinators were getting everything as scary as possible.

 

"Juri! Why aren't you getting ready yet? Come on!" A brown-haired stylist beckoned her over.

 

Hastily she got into her assigned costume and urged the stylist to work her magic on her.

 

"This is the third time for you to be late, Ju—

 

"Jumie. Jang Jumie." She said, looking at the stylist from the corner of her eyes. "Starts with a J and ends with an e. Once the name of a famous person, now the name of a 17-year-old Korean—

 

"I get it, Jang Jumie it is." The stylist gently tugged on her hair, her face puzzled.

 

 

"You're done." The stylist said, gesturing her to move on and get to her section.

 

Jumie thanked her and started to head for the door when she felt heavy nausea and retched in instinct, grabbing . Swallowing the aftertaste of the digested foods, she figured that she shouldn't eat too much if she were to move a lot.

 

"Hey, you ok?"

 

It was a male co-worker she'd never seen before, and he was looking at her worriedly through the small gap his surgeon mask provided. "Are you sick?"

 

Jumie nodded and shook her head at the same time, holding up her thumb, indicating that everything is good. From what they both knew, the boss wouldn't even care if his workers got as long as they did their job so it'd be useless for her to back down now.

 

"Well, drink this and take a break if things get too heavy for you." The boy gave her a bottle of water and patted her arm before proceeding his way towards the front entrance.

 

Jumie stared in shock at the bottle and took a big gulp of the fresh water, washing down the sour taste. It'd been a while since someone besides her grandmother, actually showed concern for her without flinching in fear.

 

 

 

 

Yoongi woke up to the vibration of his phone, which he'd specifically set on silence. He groaned into his snapback as his hand searched for the device, which had caused him a lot of misery these days. Why did he buy it again?

 

Turning on the phone, his eyes squinted from the unnecessary brightness illuminated from it. As he grew accustomed to it, he saw that he had almost 10 missed calls and 23 messages, and most of them were from his friends.

 

He pressed Namjoon's number. "Yeah?"

 

 

Yoongi found his friends bickering again. Apparently Jimin decided to wear a mask for 'style' but Namjoon knew better than that and was quick to assume that he was trying to equivocate his way through their bet. After a full day of school and student council meetings, Yoongi was too tired to bother about their pointless bicker so he let them be.

 

"Hyung, can you believe this kid? How can someone find masks as the new thing?"

 

"Well, how would you know when you spent most of your days learning pick-up lines?"

 

"What the—I told you to seal your mouth about it!"

 

They continued to be like that until it was their turn at the ticket booth. Yoongi handed his ticket over to the worker and looked around the place. His eyebrows shot up in wonder when he caught sight of a familiar figure fumbling with her bicycle's chain at the side of building before making a dash for the back door. The girl; she was working there?

 

"Sir, can you please tell your friends to quieten down? They're disturbing the other customers." The worker said politely.

 

Yoongi briefly glanced at the two boys behind him before turning back at the worker, shrugging, "I don't know them."

 

 

He went in first and paused in front of the majestic opening. He could see a small light bulb as the only source of light at the dark foyer of the hospital. Of course he didn't believe in the existence of ghosts but he wasn't sure if he could walk in the dark without tripping over his own feet.

 

Not to mention he had two children to take care of. He didn't have to be worried about Namjoon much. He just had to look out for Jimin, who would most likely fainted after the first ghost. Speaking of the devil, he fell in step beside him, looking paler than usual.

 

"Hyung, you're scared, aren't you?" Jimin said, his teeth chattering and eyes darting around in search for an escape. "You don't have to do it. We can just tell Namjoon that you prefer to wait outside."

 

"Jimin," Yoongi sighed, patting his shoulder. "Just remember that there's no feelings involved and you'll still have to pay us dinner."

 

"Nice try, Jimin-ie," Namjoon laughed at the look on Jimin's face. "Now, I'll set my phone up to record our voices. How about it?"

 

"Oh, brilliant idea. Why hadn't I thought of handling my phone up high and risking the chance of losing it?" Yoongi said sarcastically, rolling his eyes. "Not to mention it'll be an advantage to look at the clowns clearly."

 

"What? You better keep your phone back to where it's belonged!" Jimin said, obviously panicking.

 

"It was just a suggestion." Namjoon grumbled, stuffing his phone back into his pocket. "Well, are we going in?"

 

And in they went.

                                                                                                                                                                                         eg *  
 
 author's note 

Do you guys understand Jumie's character here? There're actually people like her out there, who aren't used to talking that most of their speeches are random and awkward. I hope I potray her well here.

BTS strikes again! Why did Jk get to wear police outfit?? Honestly I'm waiting for japanese version of War of Hormone MV. Been dancing to it for days!