Twenty

You Got Spooked!

 


    20  library 

 

  

The class was merely blur of inaudible words for the brunette. Just before the bell rang, Jumie blinked back to reality, freaked out to find the whole blackboard filled with notes for today's lesson. Hastily, she seized her pen and created a mess of a writing on her notebook, crying out at the shredded lines because of her rapid writing.

 

"No-no—NOOO!!!" wailed Jumie as the teacher erased the board, finally announcing the end of their class, dismissing the students for lunch break. The classmates around her were rather taken back by her outburst that they distanced themselves from her.

For a moment, she had her eyes fixed on the dusty board with a hopeless expression before barrelling over to the unsuspected Namjoon, who seemed to suffer a difficulty with his sandwich. He let out a surprised cry when he saw a fast approaching demon—girl from the corner of his eyes. "Namjoon-ah!" Jumie leaned over the table, widening her infamous 'dead' eyes so close that he noticed how unhealthy yellow the whites were. "Can I borrow your biology notes?"

 

"Uh...s-sure, i-if you move back a bit," he stammered before continuing the sentence in his mind, and don't ever get that close to me again.

 

Jumie exclaimed, gathering herself a bit as she moved away from his personal bubble, much to his relief. Namjoon gave her a cautious look, just in case she suddenly felt like pouncing on him again. He fumbled around his desk compartment for the notes—most of them weren't in order, and his handwriting weren't made for eyes pleasing but it would do.

 

He impudently held out the unorganized pile at Jumie, who stared down at it in doubt. After a beat of silence, she gingerly took it, mumbling something suspiciously sounded like she regretted for not taking down notes. Instead of being offended, Namjoon found himself smiling. She somehow managed to look more cute than creepy, which he was certain she wasn't aware of.

 

Maybe she was starting to get the hang of socialising, he regarded. At that, Jumie abruptly returned back to her seat, without thanking him in some form, seemingly in trance. After tucking the notes in her bag, she sat in an upright manner, staring straight at some dot on the board. It wasn't a pleasant spectacle for Namjoon as he squirmed uneasily in his seat, looking back at his lunch, no longer hungry.

Or maybe not, he concluded with a shudder.

 

It was eerily quiet in the class, and Namjoon raised his head to look at his only companion in the room, half-expecting her to do some terrifying stunt like jumping out of the window or worst, had her eyes on him. He was left paralysed for a moment to see the desk, where the girl resided before was vacant, absolutely clean without a trace of human. Alarmed for his life, he twisted in his place to check his surrounding, making sure that she wasn't lurking behind him, just to give him the fright of his life.

 

Trying to distract himself, he tore his wrapped sandwich with one tug of his teeth, devouring the bread with ferocity and barbarism that he didn't have before, mumbling with his mouth full, "Think happy times...think happy times, Namjoon-ah..."

He prayed that he would survived to the day when his ankle got better.

 



The library was peacefully quiet that day. The students stayed at their own personal area; majority of them had their heads immersed into worlds of literature and fantasy while a few were busy researching, satiating their curiosity by the help of thick books and computers alike. The old female librarian was at the checkout desk, analysing a list of this week borrowed books under her glasses.

 

For Jumie, she found joy with arranging a cart of books back to their designated shelves.

 

Surprisingly, she was capable of surviving through two weeks of detention—scraping her homeroom spotless and assisting the old librarian during breaks. Cleaning the class was pure torture, for her endearing peers would always left their own signature behind for her to clean. She remembered the first day of detention, where Sanbyul walked in with muddy tracks with the widest smirk on his face at the look on her face. She wasn't the only one suffering though, by the groans of agony that echoed along the hallway, she figured that they came from Jimin's classroom, where the lad was cleaning up as well.

 

It was tough but she didn't mind the extra work at library.

 

Unlike everywhere else in this school, people didn't mind her much in here. Instead of shunning her, they would offered her thankful smiles like a real citizen she was, even though she had yet to encounter a full conversation with someone that didn't have anything to do with the whereabouts of a book or what's the library's Wifi password.

After successfully heaving an enormous book into its place, she pushed the cart towards the back of the library and stopped halfway.

 

It was the dim-lighted side of the library.

 

She'd been avoiding that place, not anxious to bump into a specific dozing senior again. Despite the fact that she was no longer that afraid of him, the aftermath after going there still burned bright in her pubescent mind.

 

But she still had to do her work, and the load of books in her hands weren't going to magically arranged themselves back.

 

it, she leaned forward between the two shelves, looking back and forth before releasing a sigh of relief at the empty corridor. Of course, him being here once doesn't mean that he would be there all the time, she reprimanded herself, hitting her forehead ashamedly.

 

Finally relaxed, she pushed the cart towards her right, her eyes were already in search for the book she'd attempted to borrow before the accident. Unfortunately, there wasn't any sign of it, and she pondered whether it was still in Yoongi's possession.

Which reminded her that he still had her jacket. It had been more than a while, yet he still hadn't returned it. Did he forget to?

 

Tap. Tap.

 

Her ears perked up at the sudden approaching sound of quick steps and heavy panting but before she could check, someone collided hard into her, rough enough for her to face-plant down the floor and break her nose. Luckily, they caught her and instead of helping her to her feet, they shoved her by the shoulders against the wall.

 

"Ow!"

 

"Shush!"

 

Her eyes were shut due to the abrupt force that pushed her. When she opened them again, her blood ran cold at the familiar sight of a pair of stripy shoes before her white ones. She was about to open to let out something, anything when an agile hand closed over .

 

"Stay still, will ya?" they told her with a hint of desperation in an unmistakable male voice.

 

Min Yoongi's voice.

 

She didn't know what sin she'd committed before to be in a more awkward position with him—he had her trapped against the wall, one hand muffling her speech while the other was pinned beside her head. From the looks of his ragged breathing, wrinkled uniform and the sweats forming at the dark roots of his dyed hair, she could tell that he'd been sprinting for a while.

 

Wow. And she thought standing under Principal Lee's icy gaze was the most terrifying experience for her.

 

Just then, an insane-looking girl burst through the library's transparent door, slamming it open with one hand, shattering the library's calm atmosphere and startling the inhabitants there. Choi Chanmi stood there, eyes wild as a mad dog. Unlike the energetic senior everyone knew her for, this one was more twitchy than normal, looking abnormally hyperactive because of the amount of coffee she'd drank this morning.

 

And a hyperactive Chanmi equated trouble, which Yoongi didn't attend to have anything to do with.

 

"Yoongi!" hollered the girl, her uncharacteristically high-pitch voice resounded across the library, and Yoongi unconsciously gulped in fear of being caught, resulting with him pressing himself even closer to Jumie. He chose to ignore the muffled shriek coming from the miserable girl; he wasn't enjoying this as much as she was.

 

"Yah! This is a library!"

 

The two teenagers stayed unmoved, ears straining to draw conclusions from the sound of voices behind the rows of shelves that they didn't even notice how much time had passed.

 

After having to endure through hearing the whole riot that sounded like a flipping old librarian with a whipping cane and the rather obstinate girl, the school custodial staffs took action, hauling Chanmi out of the place and towards the one in charge of disciplinary actions—Principal Lee. On that note, Yoongi should be worried for his friend but he wasn't, knowing Chanmi was quite sly with words if the situation demanded it. There was a reason why she was the 'secret weapon' of debating club after all.

 

With ease, he looked down to the girl underneath him, staring at her anxious-filled eyes before abruptly letting go, putting a safe distance between them. "Ugh." The repugnance in his voice and his incredibly impassive face was in contrast with the uncomfortable stirring in his guts. He didn't remember the last time he'd stood that close with a girl.

 

It didn't help that her hair smelled so good.

 

"Jesus, what're you even doing here? Are you stalking me or something?" He began lashing out at her. He didn't mean to but he wasn't going to let her know how affected he was with before. The girl in turn looked completely scandalised, pointing at various directions before pointing at herself. "Huh? Huh? Haah?"

 

Bless her.

 

"If you're not here, I wouldn't bump into you and uh—uh—"

 

The boy really should stop before he was going to hurt someone or himself again. Wait, since when had he grown compassionate? And why did he always reduce into a gooey mess of sentience around this misfit?

 

He was about to say something, when Jumie attempted to make a retreat. Yoongi swiftly grabbed her shoulders, lowering himself to stare at her dead in the eye. She didn't start hyperventilating or avoiding his gaze like she usually did at his presence, this time, her eyes were sharp despite her rosy cheeks.

 

Should he be nervous or relieved that she wasn't afraid of him anymore?

 

God, he was being driven to madness.

 

"This never happened," he told her firmly.

 


     

 

 


                                                                                                                                                                                             eg *  

 

 


     

 

 


     author's note 

 

 


    I think I spoil you guys too much with the romance. This is supposed to be a comedy genre! 
What do you guys think of this type of Yoongi? Personally I think he pretends to be smooth but actually damn shy inside. Haha! Sweet Sugaa~