Seventeen

You Got Spooked!

 


    17 black 

 


     

A crowd of students formed around the broken vice president, intrigued and distraught for his condition. Unlike Yoongi, most of them had high regard for Namjoon and was genuinely worried about him. Chanmi had already positioned herself before the boy and helped him sit up as Namjoon let Inna tended to his injuries, careful to not apply too much pressure on his ankle, which had turned into a shade of purple. Jimin hovered above Namjoon's face, his eyebrows furrowed in concern while Yoongi stood awfully quiet among them, deep in thoughts as his eyes would occasionally flicked towards Jumie.

 

"Ah!" hissed Namjoon. "Noona! You're holding it too hard!"

 

Inna didn't look too pleased as she quirked a brow at him; a bottle of antiseptic and a cotton wool in her hands. "You're being a baby, and yet you still wonder why I treat you like a one."

 

Namjoon made a face and looked away, clenching blades of grass in his hands as he endured through the sting. Yoongi scoffed with a wry smile, tucking his hands in his pockets. "Why are you so afraid of her, I'll never know."

 

"Shut up, hyung," mumbled Namjoon.

 

Inna finished disinfecting and dressing the scrapes on his knees and proceeded with his ankle. She gave a thoughtful cluck, scrutinizing the wound. "Get me some ice," she ordered to the nearest person, which was Jimin. He started to move when Jumie stopped him.

 

"Let me," she said determinedly and jogged towards the school buildings. Yoongi's eyes followed her; a frown fixed in place. He would go with her and made her tell him what really happened, and there was no way he was to let her be until he hear an admission from her. No one could be aware of the unseen offense and injury unless they had something to do with it.

 

"Hyung."

 

Yoongi jerked his head back at Namjoon, who had noticed the way Yoongi watched Jumie. It was how one would looked at a suspect.

 

Namjoon shook his head. "Don't start."

 

Meanwhile Jumie made a beeline for the school hallway instead of the cafeteria, bustling past the stunned students as they wondered of what reason for the misfit to be in a hurry at the moment. They were officially dismissed from school activities and therefore some were starting to head home while others lingered around for a brunch at the cafeteria; the fact that convinced Jumie that the corridors were pretty much unoccupied.

 

The echoes of soles thudding against the floor filled the corridors. Jumie released a sigh of relief at the empty hallway where her locker located, twisting the combination lock before pulling it open and skimming through the contents. She didn't remember whether she still had it or not but somehow she had a hunch that it would be there. "Yes!" her eyes grew wide at the beaded pouch, completely forgotten and covered with dusts and cobwebs. Her lips pursed in resolution as she reached out to grab it.

 

Jumie wasn't the type that would act on feelings. She had been bullied and toyed with all her life due to the differences between her and other children. Even if she did try to fight them off, her attempts would be half-hearted because she knew she wouldn't win over them. But there were special, rare moments, where she would go ape over the most absurd things. During her 5th grade, she remembered dropping a handful of pencils on a girl's head for unspecified reasons, and in her first year at middle school, she had stalemated with a boy when he had refused to return her notebook back.

 

Mrs. Son used to say that she was very protective of her belongings.

 

 

 

Personally, Jumie would blame the dirty-mouthed senior for the influence as a curse flew past her lips at the disgusting sight before her.

 

She didn't know that Hyuk could be so distracted when she searched the school ground for the younger boy. He kept going astray, and when she asked someone of his whereabouts, their answers varying from stopping for a chat with his pals, relieving himself at the men's restroom and relinquishing his thirst at a water fountain. Just before Jumie could drop the matter off, a girl mentioned something about janitors closet to her, and the next thing she knew, she found him in the closet.

 

But the problem was, he was with someone.

 

"Oh my god!"

 

Lost in thoughts, she unconsciously wondered how they could be comfortable in this kind of place, doing whatever was it they do. It didn't look like it was bright enough to see each other. It didn't smell nice. It had limited space, and she was almost certain there were rats hiding under the dirty rags and detergents.

 

"Aish! Thank you for chasing her away!" complained Hyuk as he stepped out of the dampened place, his lips were more red than they've should been and his hair was tousled like—Jumie involuntarily let out a loud gasp.

 

"Y-your eyes!"

 

There were no familiar brown irises in them. The pupils were lost in menacing black as Jumie saw her reflection staring back at her.

 

Possessed Hyuk simply stared, blinking his iris-less eyes at her while she stepped back cautiously, hands rummaging through her pockets for something, anything to fend herself with. There were sayings that you couldn't fight a possessed man due to the pure hatred of the spirit that latched itself on the man, and Jumie had no intention of finding out whether the rumour was true or not.

 

Clearing , she pulled out a few slips of papers with foreign and ancient words inscribed on the sides and held them up to his face. "This is a—a thousand years old inscriptions that was in the possession of my great-great-great granddad. It would ward all evil from the keeper."

 

Possessed Hyuk lifted an eyebrow and crossed his arms. "I knew you're a bit different than others when you looked at me weirdly. But tell me this—he tilted his body toward her—are you sure you didn't buy this from some cheap stores?"

 

Jumie blinked before dropping the papers and holding out a glass bottle that held suspicious, transparent water. She then poked her head into the bag, mumbling, "That's all I have."

 

"That's it?" exclaimed possessed Hyuk with a smirk. "That's all you got for me? In that case I—

 

The mischievous spirit couldn't even finish his words when Jumie tackled him to the ground, resulting with him hitting his head on one of the lockers to his left side, denting it.

 

"I don't like it," hissed Jumie as she released her grip on Hyuk's clothes. "I don't like it when people touch my stuff. Even you, spirit."

 

"What—Hyuk stared back at her in daze, his eyes returning briefly to their usual color.

 

The girl gave the dazed boy a glare as she bent down to snatch the papers, dampening it with a few drops of the water. "Hyuk-shi isn't nice. He enjoys others' misery. But I don't want to see you again either."

 

Crouching down, she pressed the dampened papers on his mouth. The spirit didn't even fight her as she glared intensely into its being, her eyes wide with a purpose. "Leave."

 


 

It's funny how confident and commanding her voice was until Hyuk's head dropped onto his chest. His even breathing told Jumie he was in a dormant state. At that, she felt exhaustion hit her and she panted, catching her breath. Anger really was an interesting emotion.

 

"Yah, what're you doing here?"

 

Her breath hitched when she saw Yoongi and a man she'd never met before approaching her. Jumie removed her hands from her knees and stood up straight as Yoongi gave her a once-over. Once again, she felt jittery at the look he gave her. Even if he did tell her to not be afraid of him, he still had an aura of an assassin that could kill you with a blink. She unconsciously envied those who were able to see a different yet brighter side of the student body president, even though it was quite rare.

 

Yoongi frowned at her weary state. Sure, they had Sport Day today but he didn't actually see her doing anything, except jogging for a few miles. What did she do? His eyes then widened at the sight of an unconscious body behind her. Was that a dead body?

 

"You kill him?" demanded Yoongi, his eyes narrowed dangerously at Jumie, whose face expressed everything but calm. Yoongi could almost see the exclamation marks popping around her head.

 

"N-n-no!"

 

Yoongi eyed her suspiciously. "You don't sound so sure."

 

"N-no! No! H-he's not dead! He's not dead!"

 

"Don't lie. You're the one who did something to Namjoon too, right?" sneered Yoongi. "If not, how did you know about his injury?"

 

Jumie looked conflicted before in her lips. "I just know. I just know, so don't blame me!"

 

Yoongi ignored his minor shock at her raised tone and charged towards her, driving her to move backward in panic, then, her back hit the wall, not allowing her to escape his wrath. He was about to say something when he felt a firm hand on his shoulder, holding him back. Yoongi could shake the hand off but he was aware of how strong and serious his brother was when he wanted to.

 

"Now, now; let's not all be dramatic," joked Yongjun although his tone was dead serious. "Let's get this ice to your noona before she kills anyone."

 

"Oh, I forgot about that," Yongjun heard the girl murmuring under her breath, and he unconsciously smiled, finding her adorable.

 

Yoongi scoffed, rolling his eyes before whirling around to move ahead of them, leaving the girl hurt at his outburst. Yongjun shook his head. He loved Yoongi dearly but sometimes his brother didn't know how to treat people decently without making them feel like garbage. Yongjun didn't even want to know how Chanmi tolerate his antics.

 

"Hey—uh, you know, he was just worried about Namjoon so don't take it personally, okay?" Yongjun told the girl as they made their way towards the field.

 

The girl gave him a reluctant nod. She then glanced at the bag of ice in his hands and offered to bring it for him. Yongjun, however, surprised the girl by stopping in front of her, bending his back to look at her directly in the eyes.

 

"Okay?"

 

Jumie stared at him in shock, suddenly feeling hot around her face. He had Yoongi's smile, and his skin tone was almost as pale as Yoongi's although he seemed to be older. The gentle gaze in his eyes was in contrast to Yoongi's blank stare. She wasn't sure how but she knew the man before her was Yoongi's brother.

 

"Okay."

 

 


                                                                                                                                                                                             eg *  

 

 

 


     author's note 

 

 I personally find those who wear black contact lenses creepy. Their eyes grow large and appear to be iris-less.

And yes, I try a bit of a horror scene. There's actually a lot of questions going on in this chap so it's a bit confusing but never fear, all will be revealed in future chapters. Haha!

Random facts: Jumie is basically based on my sister characteristics. And sometimes it takes a lot for me to not go crazy over her weird antics.