Eleven

You Got Spooked!

    11 calm 

 

 

Jumie chewed her lips in thought, her index finger travelled across the spines of books, where the titles were engraved. She frowned when she could not find the book she was looking for. The girl was certain the librarian had told her that the book was available on the shelf. So where was it?

She looked around the place and caught a glimpse of sneakers peeking out from behind the last shelf, which was at the darkest corner of the library. Curiosity got the best of her, and she ventured towards it.

 

What she saw was what she didn't expect to see for a whole lifetime. Jumie looked down in shock at the sleeping Yoongi as the sound of soft snoring rumbled from his motionless figure. He had his arms and feet crossed as he settled himself comfortably against the wall. His light brown bangs casted shadow over his closed eyelids. Jumie kneeled down, staring at his pretty yet masculine face.

 

Her eyes trailed down to the sprawled book on his hands, and she read the title—it was the one she was looking for. Yoongi probably and involuntarily fell asleep during his reading. Carefully, she reached out and pried his hands off of the hard cover. At least that was what she had in mind, until he took her hand, causing her to jump in fright. Jumie lifted her head to see that the older teen was still asleep, although his hands didn't leave hers and proceeded to them gently.

 

Jumie wanted to scream as she sat frozen on her spot, her eyes fixated on Yoongi as her cheeks turned scarlet red. She was about to pull back when the boy moved her hands to his cheeks, and Jumie felt warm lips brushed against her skin, kissing it.

 

That was it. Heaving, Jumie snatched back her hand, rushing out of the library, completely forgotten about her previous motive. When she got far enough, she fanned herself, shaking her head in protest. It was nothing! She told herself as she leaned against the wall. For Pete's sake! He was asleep!

 

The thought of the ordeal last night didn't actually help the beating of her heart to calm down. After she had voiced out her thoughts without consideration, Yoongi had stared her down with a blank look, before ambiguously replying, "I am, aren't I?" He then turned without a word, leaving her aghast. Jumie wasn't sure whether Yoongi was really the guy who lent her his jacket two years ago or not but she felt as though Yoongi had meant something entirely different.

 

"Yah!" Chanmi jumped out of nowhere, almost giving the younger girl a heart attack. "Where have you been? You looked like you've been running a mile."

 

"Library." gasped Jumie, composing herself.

 

"Really? I didn't know library was supposed to make your cheeks beet red." Chanmi raised her eyebrows suggestively, leaning beside Jumie.

 

"Beet red?" said Jumie in shock, raising hands to her cheeks. "Are they that red?"

 

Chanmi arched her eyebrows with an uncomfortable smile on her lips. She found that Jumie would be an adorable and cool person to be friends with but at the same time, she felt pity for the girl, as she could tell that the younger girl was shunned by her peers for a long time.

 

She sighed. "No. It was just jest. Anyway, are you going to participate for the sport day?"

 

Jumie hesitated before giving the older girl a solemn shake of head. "People wouldn't let me participate."

 

"Wow, have you ever have the idea that they could just shove it up their a**es if they don't like whatever it is that you do?"

 

An exhausted Yoongi glared at Jumie as he approached them, his blazer hung lazily behind his back; his eyes were bloodshot, as if he didn't get a wink of sleep. Jumie was instantly reminded of the jacket he had taken from her last night, and that she hadn't have the courage to ask him for it.

 

"You do know that you're the president and you aren't supposed to swear, right?" said Chanmi sharply.

 

"And your point is..."

 

"It would be nice if you stopped acting like a complete jerk," said Chanmi, annoyed. "I guess I'm ok with it. But that doesn't mean that I don't miss the shy kid who I shared first kiss with."

 

"Yah!" complained Yoongi, his face was pink. "Would you like to tattletale everything to our little friend here?"

 

"Wha—wait." interrupted Jumie, staring in disbelief at the two of them. "You guys—kissed?"

 

Jumie never felt so devastated when they both simply shrugged to her question.

 


 

With the remaining time, Jumie played with the lone broccoli, munching slowly on her lunch, which was strange as she was always at her full energy whenever it was recess. Maybe it was because of the information she had just received just now. It seemed to plant itself permanently into her brain, sending alarm signals through her system.

 

"Are you alright?" asked Chanmi in concern. "You weren't hurt by Yoongi's words, right?"

 

Jumie tried to give the most convincing smile to the older girl. "I'm fine, unnie. Uh, by the way, about the sport day. I think I'm going to participate."

 

Chanmi beamed. "Really? Cool! When are you going to sign up?"

 

"Now, actually," Jumie glanced down at her wristwatch, packing up her lunchbox. "I think I still have time to sign my name up."

 

Chanmi hummed, a knowing smile spread on her lips as she gazed at Jumie over her glasses. "I'll see you when I'll see you?"

 

Jumie nodded before bidding her senior goodbye. Chanmi chuckled and sipped her drink with a straw. "You did good, Chanmi," She told herself. "You did good."

 

The locker room were filled up with bustling students. Many of them, checked their class schedule and pulled out books from their private compartments; some chose to linger and chat with their group of friends. Jumie set off towards the direction of her locker, careful to not bump into others and cause unwanted attention. She crashed into her locker, as one of the girls accidentally pushed her. The girl turned to bowed apologetically; her eyes doubled in size when she saw Jumie, and she stepped back, choosing not to even have anything to do with her.

 

Jumie tried to nod understandingly, although the girl and her friends were already gone. She turned to her locker, resisting the urge to be upset over a trivial matter as she pulled it open. As Jumie composed herself, she didn't notice a nearby boy, who saw the whole scene while he was at his own locker, listening to music.

 

"Noona," Jimin called. Jumie lifted her head, and her welled up eyes stared at the earphone the boy had offered, "It may cheer you up."

 

The girl smiled appreciatively that sent Jimin's stomach into a somersault as he gawked at her twinkling eyes. Gulping, he averted her eyes and gestured her to hurry up, as the bell had rang.

 

The trip to Jumie's classroom was a long one, but Jimin didn't really mind accompanying her as he could skip a few minutes of his period, and his history teacher barely paid attention to the students and practically wouldn't notice him missing. Ahead of them, Jumie saw Sanbyul and his two friends—Jaewoon and Hyuk fooling around at the door of her class, and she figured that they were waiting for her and her only. Jaewoon noticed the pair and nudged Sanbyul's elbow, pointing at them. A gleeful smirk spread across the principal's son's face.

 

Jumie immediately tried to stop Jimin from moving any further; she wanted to send the younger boy off, but Jimin didn't seem to be that anxious at leaving as he eyed the trio. Meanwhile Sanbyul was already advancing on them, laughing. "Jang Jumie-shi! With a guy?" he hollered.

 

"Hey, sunbae." Jimin let out an insincere smile. "Aren't you supposed to be at the detention or something?"

 

There was a dangerous edge of sarcasm in his tone, although his sweet smile contradicted it. Sanbyul narrowed his eyes at the younger guy, and he immediately recognized him as one of Min Yoongi's close friends. His lips curled into a smirk, "Ah, Park Jimin. Min Yoongi's favourite underdog. Tell me, Park, is it fun to have friends that outshine you on regular basis?"

 

Jimin clenched his fists; his face set as he his lips. Jumie noticed his sudden of aura and whispered, "Jimin, I can go on my own now. Thanks."

 

"Aw..." The boys tittered. "Look at them! How sweet!"

 

"Hey, Jimin. Isn't it enough that you're being ignored and now you're hanging out with this—this crap? I mean, what is it in her that you see? She doesn't even have much to show you. Are you into nutcase kind of girls? Because you already have one in your family, haven't you?"

 

A split second later Jimin lunged forward, his fist flying straight into Sanbyul's pretty face, smashing into his sharp nose. They both tumbled onto the ground.

 

"Jimin! JIMIN! STOP!"

 

Jimin didn't hear more as he had nothing in mind but to inflict pain on Sanbyul. Every punch, every kick, every swearing relieved Jimin of his pain and worries. He knew he would regret it later but he didn't stop and let the wrath took control of his mind. Pair of arms grabbed him from behind—Jaewoon swung a powerful punch into his stomach, enough to almost make Jimin lose his breakfast.

 

"Yah! Talk about cruelty! It's three against one!"

 

Jimin involuntarily sniggered at Jumie's naivety. Blinking the black spots off his eye vision, he saw Jumie jumping on Jaewoon, her teeth sank into his earlobe, earning a satisfied scream from the guy that send Jimin laughing.

 

The bloodshed would continue on if it weren't for the arrival of the student council members, who dragged Jumie away from Jaewoon and calmed the bellowing of the crowd that gathered around them. Yoongi and Namjoon strode towards their young friend, looking more pissed than ever. Yoongi grabbed Jimin by the shirt as he glared murderously in turns at the bullies before fixating his dead glare on his friend.

 

"What the hell is wrong with you?" said Namjoon, his tone disappointed. "Do you have any idea what you just got into? "

 

Jimin didn't answer him.

 

"Enough," rasped the very voice he feared, and Jimin stared back at the cold and indistinguishable eyes of Min Yoongi, "Five of you, off to the principal office."


     
 

                                                                                                                                                                                             eg *  
 

     
 

     author's note 
 

    

Uh-oh. Trouble ahead. On the bright side, Jumie seemed to be having some kind of feelings for Yoongi, don't you guys think? Or maybe it's because she liked the mysterious guy. What about Chanmi though? Is she the good guy or the bad guy?

Anyway, I'm proud to say that this is the longest chapter I've ever written. An improvement!