Twenty-three

You Got Spooked!

 


    23  smile 

 

Jimin strangely sought comfort from the rhythmic tapping of rain as it dribbled down the narrow windowpanes of the male lavatory. The previous storm had thankfully reduced to a light drizzle, and Jimin couldn't wait to vacant the school ground, wanting to put a good distance between him and this abandoned part of school.

The fact that an acquaintance of theirs disappeared into the thin air—scared him that he couldn't even relieve himself without looking around his back.

 

"Yo, dude! Are you done?"

 

Namjoon suddenly burst through the door, and the noise almost caused Jimin to miss an aim and stained his trousers with his own piss.

 

"Can you not do that when I pee?" exclaimed Jimin as he poked his head out glaringly, after he had finished with his human needs.

 

As Jimin ran his shaky hands under the cold tap, Namjoon told him both Yoongi and Jumie had a head start, presumably in search for the stupid distribution board that till now had caused them nothing but trouble. Hearing that, Jimin couldn't help but expressed hotly at how reckless Yoongi were for splitting the group and deliberately putting Jumie in possible danger as well.

 

"What do you think happened to Chanmi-noona?" he dared to ask as they paced down the hallway, eager to join the others.

 

Namjoon dithered before shrugging it off, attempting a look of ignorance for his friend's sake, as the younger boy looked almost a minute away from having a mental breakdown himself. "I'm starting to suspect that she's behind all these nonsense." the tall boy sniggered as he pictured the thought.

 

Jimin looked at him, irritated. "How can you still joke about this? For all I know, she may be lying somewhere, dead from blood loss after that Marie ghost clawed her blind!"

 

Namjoon sighed in frustration. "Still on about that, aren't you? How many times do I have to get it in your stupid head that it's a stupid hoax?"

 

"Explain how Chanmi disappeared then!" Jimin shot back fiercely. "She underestimated it, and look where it got her!"

 

"For Pete sake, there's no such thing as ghost or anything else that had anything to do with it!"

 

At that outburst, a small object suddenly dropped before the boys, barely missing Jimin's sneakers as he jumped out of the way. There was a sound of glass exploded against the floor, and somehow in the dark, they both could only guess that it was perhaps a loose light bulb, and continued on with their journey. Except that Namjoon chose to stop short, causing Jimin to smack into him from the back.

 

Crying out in pain, Jimin frowned and peered over Namjoon's broad shoulders, following his line of vision. A seemingly harmless chair was placed a few distances away from them, in the middle of the previously empty corridor. The small thought that it just seemed to pop out of nowhere nerved him.

 

"You can see the chair too, right?" asked Jimin nervously, not noticing he'd moved closer to Namjoon's side. Namjoon replied with a subtle nod.

 

At that, the chair slowly screeched against the linoleum, slowly turning and facing the trembling boys as it scrapped the floor. Jimin already had his nose pressed against Namjoon's shoulder blade, breathing heavily as he willed himself not to cry. Namjoon, on the other hand, stubbornly convinced himself over and over again, that no supernatural forces could ever be the cause of the moving object.

 

"It's just a figment of our imagination." assured Namjoon, veiling the fear in his voice as he tried to stay calm.

 

"Fig-figment of our imagination!" Jimin flabbergasted, not feeling quite courteous at the moment. "It's happening under your goddamned nose!"

 

Apparently, Namjoon didn't appreciate the younger's impudence. "Well, for one thing, we're too scared to think rationally. And the next thing we know, something sinister is heading in our way!" he shot back bitingly.

 

"Don't say it like that!" wailed Jimin as he pounced on the idiot, in a futile attempt to silence him. They both stalemated in each other's grasp.

 

"What the—Jimin!"

 

"Ow! Not the hair! Not the hair!"

 

Namjoon mercilessly tugged onto Jimin's brown strands, trying to pry the persistent boy off of him. Amidst the confusing mess, Jimin saw the chair and much to his horror, it skidded towards them, as how Namjoon had casually predicted before. Panicked now, he practically forced Namjoon back, clutching to the swearing boy's limbs as though his life depended on it, despite the older boy's protests.

 

"Oh my god..." uttered Namjoon, when he finally caught the chair's sudden movement—approaching them. His face blanched; the chair wasn't that far from reaching them.

 

"Yeah, no kidding, pinhead!"

 


 

 

"What's taking them so long?" complained Yoongi as he stretched his arms up, feeling around the surface of the board before pulling the handle open. Puffs of dust flew into his face, causing him to grimace in disgust. He frowningly waved them away and looked in. With the dim glow of Jumie's lighter, he could barely make out the indistinct markings above every switch, as though they were roughly written there. He was tempted at randomly choosing one but in the end shook it off, not wanting to be responsible for any damage of the school property.

 

Jumie wasn't exactly helping him as she stood there, maniacally beaming at him as though she was scrutinizing his every movement. Despite not wanting to acknowledge it, her action effortlessly scared him. When he couldn't take anymore of her strange antics, he gave her a threatening scowl. "What?"

 

The smile broadened on her face, and Yoongi found himself itching to shake her. Maybe it was the smile that ticked him off. Maybe it was because they were alone, in the possibly haunted area of the school. Maybe he didn't exactly feel at home, being left with a girl who had strange cravings for horrors.

 

Or maybe there was something unusual of the way she smiled; it was so casual and carefree.

 

It looked almost nothing like Jang Jumie at all.

 

She let out a sound that could only be distinguished as giggles, rendering him tied-tongued. "You really have a pretty face."

 

What. The. Actual. Fudge.

 

It took a while for his numbed brain to comprehend her words as he simply stared at the grinning girl, utterly gobsmacked. It felt as though an inner Yoongi was being run over by a huge, imaginary truck. Never had he heard that before in his life, and to hear it from a female, well not his typical kind of girl but still a girl nonetheless, it practically killed his alpha pride.

 

Before he could give some slight form of reaction, someone chose the moment to barge in on them, screaming their head off as if their hair had been infested by living cockroaches.

 

"Get it off me! Get it off me!"

 

Well, for the poor Namjoon, it really was infested by living cockroaches.

Jimin filed in after, out of breath as his shoulder heaved with every air, his hair streaked white from wet grit. He met Yoongi's inquiring gaze, and Yoongi could see the reflected fear and terror in them, rendering him even more confused. It was the sound of a particular laugh that snapped Yoongi out of his thoughts though, and they both turned to look at Jumie, who couldn't hold in her laugh any longer at the sight of Namjoon fainting from all the screaming.

 

A spark lit in his dazed eyes, as well as Jimin's.

 

Her voice was anything far from a feminine—they both realized with a shudder.

 

Stupidly enough, the eldest considered throwing himself on top of the possessed girl, wrestling her to the point where the ghost eventually decided to leave her alone. However, it turned out he didn't have to as Jimin jumped her, giving her a severe headbutt on the forehead, causing Jumie to go limp and collapse in a lifeless heap on the ground.

 

"Jimin!" scolded Yoongi, though more amused than angry.

 

"What? Someone's got to do it." concluded Jimin simply, in spite of the regret sipping in his tone. "And I don't think I can stand a chance if she's going to be play tag again."

 

Yoongi sighed, dropping to a crouch beside the unconscious girl, and gathered the small, metal lighter that was hiding beneath her knuckles, taking mental notice that he would return it later. He tilted his head to the side as he watched her shamelessly.

Even under the limited light, her pale complexion looked like an impersonation of the dead itself.

 

"Well, what now, boys?"

 

Jimin let out a surprise cry as he spun around, and inched closer to Yoongi at the sound of a stranger's voice speaking up from behind him.

 

And there he was, standing tall and poised, arms crossed over his spotless dress shirt, accompanied by a crisp ironed blazer that had the familiar emblem of the school, to which Yoongi inferred the boy was once a student there.

 

The stranger, clearly entertained by Jimin's scare jump, greeted them with an ingenious grin that could only mean a thousand words, and Yoongi bet good is not one of them; he seemed to be one of those daring idiots that wouldn't miss making a scene in the public but basically harmless nevertheless.

 

Yet, something smelled fishy about him.

 

"Who in the blazes hell are you?" demanded Yoongi.

 

"Jung Hoseok," the boy gladly replied, bowing mockingly. "Ghost at your service. How are you gents enjoying the night?" He looked up at them, his eyes twinkling with mischief.

 

Yoongi and Jimin watched in horror, as the dark irises spread throughout the boy's eyeballs, concealing the whites.

 

By then, he looked almost demonic.

 

Jimin was practically shaking as he clutched onto Yoongi's arm and averted his eyes, while Yoongi, instead of being afraid, felt rather unstoppable as rage clouded his obscure eyes.

 

  1. should be thankful that you're dead or I'll wring your throat out. What did you do to my friends?" He barked.

 

Hoseok shrugged, pursing his lips. "Hm...whichever one do you mean?"

 

In an impatient fury, Yoongi reached out a threatening hand for the grinning ghost, but Jimin hastily held him back.

 

"You insufferable maggot," retorted Yoongi with a fake smile, calming slightly under Jimin's shaky hands.

 

Hoseok just chuckled as he pointed a finger gun at them, pretending to shoot with faint whoosh. "Your friend—Chanmi, is it?" he started with an ambiguous smile.

 

"Well, I remember putting her somewhere in the storeroom, assuming that the rats didn't nip at her feet right about now."

 

He stopped with a small smile at Yoongi, who was practically heaving as he restrained himself. "However, you guys—he commenced forth, smacking his lips as he eyed them—will end up differently."

 

Before Yoongi could spit some colourful insults at him, the ghost launched at them, the darkness in his eyes erupted into tendrils of smoke, travelling down his faltering form, forming a wave of black mist; it surrounded the two boys, and their knees buckled underneath them.

 

The last thing Yoongi heard before blackness closing on him was a soft whisper in his ears.

 

"Just to let you know—I was the one who sprained Namjoon's ankle."

 

 


     

 

 


                                                                                                                                                                                             eg *  

 

 


     

 

 


     author's note 

 

 


    

Who accidentally deleted this chapter? *raising a hand* Guilty as charge.

I was about to post this around Yoongi's birthday but unfortunately I was in the middle of moving house, and after deleting this chap, I went through a bit of writer's block.

I wonder how Yoongi would really act if someone call him pretty....hmm...