Nineteen

You Got Spooked!

 


    19 nice 

 


     

 

 

The walk back home for the two teenagers was quite long. Instead of being filled with useless verbal words, it was accompanied by the infrequent thudding of Yoongi's dribbling basketball and the chirping of crickets from the grass field beside them. Yoongi noticed how Jumie's eyes would drifted towards the ball in his hand, and he reminisced the day where he had agreed to teach her to play.

 

But it was also the same day where he took back his words after getting a nosebleed from her.

 

Nevertheless, it was amazing how he had told her off and yet again there they were, calmly walking home together. At least that was the case for Yoongi because the girl seemed too fidgety for her good.

 

"This is ludicrous," he spoke up. "What's the point of having a bicycle if you're not going to use it?"

 

"Uh..." Jumie's eyebrows furrowed in worry.

 

Yoongi promptly made himself comfortable on the passenger seat with one arm around his ball, looking at her expectedly, as if he was waiting for her to pedal. He was just making fun of her but she obligingly humor him as she cycled forward.

 

"You sure are slow," yapped Yoongi. Though it was faint, he sure did hear an irked 'be quiet' from the panting girl, eliciting a laugh bubbling from his throat. Calm green landscapes passed them in a blur; the whirring of the bicycle chains were the only thing they could hear in the silent night. He rested the side of his head against her with a smile, enjoying the sound of her throbbing heart as he struggled with his droopy eyes. The boy then lifted a finger and traced circles and incoherent words on her back, pretending to not notice her flinches.

 

"Wait, why are we stopping?" asked Yoongi innocently, moving forward to look at Jumie as she leaned her forehead against the handle.

 

"Please shut up, sunbae." she managed, catching her breath. He wasn't kidding when he stated that he was heavy despite his lanky figure.

 

"Come on." Yoongi pushed her lightly to the side, tossing his ball into her arms. He grabbed a hold onto the girl's bike, glancing at the confused girl as he hollered out, "Well, what are you waiting for? Hop on! I assure you, you'll have the taste of life after this."

 

True to his words, as soon as she sat down, Yoongi began pedalling the bicycle without warning, causing Jumie to hug his waist before she could fall off. The thing was she grabbed too hard for his comfort.

 

"Yah. Yah! YAH! Are you trying to kill me?" shrieked Yoongi, trying to pry her arms off with one hand.

 

"No!" gasped Jumie as the road got more bumpier than she could handle, bringing her head closer to his back. "You're the one who's going to kill us both!"

 

"Oh, yeah? Watch me!" Yoongi stuck out his tongue between his teeth as they approached a slope. He changed the gear and leaned forward, whooping as they increased their speed downward while the girl merely squealed into his jacket.

There was a time where Yoongi was merely a carefree boy, who would take challenges for the fun of it, competing at petty races and matches with his friends. He missed those days, yes. But that was the price he'd to pay if he was to get anywhere close to his parents' expectations. Who said being the youngest sibling in a family was ever easy?

 

"You don't have to..." uttered Jumie when Yoongi stooped down to chain her bike, as they had arrived at her apartment building. He acted as if he was a close friend, and for once Jumie felt grateful that none of the neighbors were around to witness this.

 

"Oh, shut up and accept my offer of kindness, will you?" huffed Yoongi. He sneaked a glance at her and there she was again, clearly indecisive whether she should speak her mind or not.

 

"Speak or forever hold your peace." he quoted the English words sternly, straightening his back. Jumie pressed her lips together to hold her laugh because of the familiar line and his remarkable accent.

"Sunbae," voiced Jumie carefully after taking a deep breath. "Why—why are you being...nice to me?"

There was a brief silence between them, then, Yoongi suddenly hummed, "Aren't I'm allowed to be nice to whoever I want?"

 

"N-no, you're allowed. I guess." Jumie scratched her head in confusion.

 

Yoongi pivoted around with a satisfied smirk although he didn't seem like he was going to leave anytime soon. "And..." he started. Jumie's eyes doubled in size as she detected a slight nervousness in his voice. Was he going to say what she thought he was?

 

"I overreacted that day." he finished dryly with a sigh of relief, his shoulders relaxing. The girl, however, blinked, cocking her head to the side with a thoughtful look. What did he mean by that? Was he apologizing?

 

Determined to not turn around to see her face, Yoongi strolled across the vacant street, holding a peace sign behind his head. "Bye, horror girl."

 

Completely dumbfounded, the girl only bade him a silent goodbye, her mind wondering if he'd act differently tomorrow.

 



You could almost see the grey clouds hovering above his unruly brown hair as he inanimately dragged his bag across the floor, his uniform weren't ironed properly and were hung over his thin frame just for the sake of coverage. Tiredly, Jimin hit his head against his locker, his fingers fumbled with the combination lock.

 

"Jimin!" Unlike Jimin, Namjoon pragmatically shone sunlight and rainbows, which was unusual as he was the busy vice president of the school. Perhaps a few days home arrest did him good and recharged his exhausted battery. However, his ankle hadn't fully recovered therefore he'd still have problems at moving around the classes. But even that couldn't get his mood down.

 

Jimin simply waved the older off, his head was still inside the metal compartment. Acknowledging his young friend's gloomy halo, Namjoon stood beside him without dropping his smile, noting the younger's sickly pale face. "What's wrong with you?"

 

"I'm going crazy here, hyung." Jimin slammed his locker closed and brought his face close to Namjoon's. His face was yellowish pale; dark bags prominent under his bloodshot eyes, indicating that he hadn't slept well for days. Namjoon's smile faltered the slightest bit as he staggered back from the addition weight Jimin applied on him.

 

Jimin eyed him crazily, clutching to his blazer. "I can't sleep! I can't eat! I can't shower! For god forsaken days, hyung! Everywhere I go, there was this shadow of that Marie girl following after me! I love you, hyung! I need you to know that before the dead chick kills me!" With that said, he hugged Namjoon, suffocating him in his embrace. "Uh... I guess this wasn't the time to tell you that hyung may kill you for breaking his laptop."

 

Apparently that was the wrong thing to say because Jimin bawled louder, tightening his clutch around the older boy.

Yelling for help, Namjoon struggled to get out of the young friend's grip while Jumie, who was a witness of the 'touching' scene made her way over. She eyed the both of them curiously, her hands gripping the straps of her backpack.

 

"Jumie-ah! Help me get out of this!" Namjoon pleaded.

 

Frowning, she blinked, "Should I? Isn't friends supposed to hug each other?"

 

"Uggh—Ow! Jimin! I'm seconds away from losing my arm!"

 

It was a indeed small world as the devil itself made its appearance. Yoongi strutted down the hallway, raising his eyebrows at the puzzling scene. "What's going on?"

 

In a whirlwind of motions, Jimin dumped Namjoon and ran for it, leaving a snapback in his place on the floor. He wasn't going to be a sitting duck awaiting Yoongi's wrath the minute he found out about his broken laptop.

 

Despite his confusion, Yoongi reached down to help his momentarily disabled friend while Jumie picked up Jimin's cap, dusting it.

 

"What's with him?" asked Yoongi.

 

Namjoon laughed nervously, "You don't want to know."

 

 

 

 


                                                                                                                                                                                             eg *  

 

 


        author's note 
     
     Peace....