eight

7 Minutes in Heaven

When Luhan woke up the next morning, he felt as if someone was drilling a hole into his head. There was a ray of stubborn light trying to penetrate through his lids and he rolled over, groaning into the pillow. Why did he have to drink so much last night? Luhan frowned. What exactly happened last night? He had no recollection whatsoever. He just hoped he didn't do anything stupid, like flashing himself or something. Oh God, that would be so embarrassing.

His eyes slowly fluttered open, and he squinted. He saw a tall glass of orange juice, with a ‘drink me’ sticker stuck to the side and the corners of his lips lifted. He saw two tablets of aspirin with an ‘eat me’ sticker as well, and he quickly reached for them. He felt instantly better as soon as he finished downing the whole glass, and he silently thanked Hani. He had been a jerk to her, but she was still a sweetheart.

His phone buzzed in his pocket and he fished it out. It was a message from Hani.

Babo yah, did you take that painkiller? Don’t forget we have class at 3. I’ll see you later.

He smiled to himself as he got out of bed. He had one more hour before class starts, and he desperately needed a shower. He stank of foul smelling beer and cigarette smoke. He was brushing his teeth, when he noticed a red mark on his cheek. Where did that come from? He shrugged it off, his mind still wondering if he did anything stupid and embarrassing last night, when it hit him like a ten tonne bricks.

He kissed Hani.

And not just kissed either. He shoved his tongue down and he even forced himself on her. That red mark on his cheek was her handprint. His already white skin paled even further. What did he do?  Oh God, what did he do? Did he already ruin their friendship?

He quickly got dressed and fled the apartment. He had to see her. He had to apologize. He was sure he didn't mean to kiss her. What else did he do last night? His mind flew as quickly as his feet. And then he halted to a stop, and he groaned into his open palms. He had said something too.

I just... I love you.

He told her he loved her. At that point, he wanted to slap himself. Why did he do that? He loved her, yes, he realised that now. But how could he just say it like that? In a drunken state too? He shook his head slowly. See, this was why he hated getting drunk. He had no control over his actions, and he despised that. He didn't like not being in control of himself. And now he had done and said something he couldn't take back. If he could go back in time, he wanted to kick the past Luhan, kick him until he collapses.

Although, his fingers immediately flew to his lips, the kiss wasn’t so bad. He still remembered how soft her lips felt, and he wondered if he’d ever have the chance to kiss her again. Luhan then nodded his head, suddenly feeling pleased. Never mind the splitting headache. He kissed her. Maybe getting drunk wasn’t such a bad thing after all.

When he arrived, he saw the others sitting at the back of the class, talking and laughing loudly. Sehun beckoned him over, but his eyes immediately narrowed when he saw how comfortable Hani looked wrapped around Yixing’s arm. Yixing wasn’t allowed to touch Hani like that. Only he could. Hani was supposed to be his, Goddamnit. He was silently fuming in anger, when Chanyeol spoke to him.

“Luhan! What happened to you last night man? All of us were worried sick! Especially Hani!”

“If I remember correctly, she wasn’t that worried last night.” Hana butted in.

“Shut up Hana.” Hani cut in. She glanced at Luhan, a small smile on her face. “Of course I’m worried. Are you ok?” She asked softly as he took a seat next to Sehun.

“I’m fine.” He managed to choke out. He wanted to smile back at her, but he could see Yixing looking intently at him from the corner of his eyes, so he refrained. He didn't want to reveal anything to Yixing, not just yet.

“In that case,” Hani started before proceeding to hit Luhan everywhere she could reach. “What. The. Hell. Did. You. Do. Last. Night. Luhan?!” She shouted. “Why did you have to go and get drunk you idiot?!”

“Oww! Hani!”

Sehun snickered. “You deserve it hyung. You know I lost sleep because of you?”

Yixing laughed as he tried to keep his girlfriend under control. He had heard the whole story earlier, and his insides had squirmed uncomfortably. His suspicion was true then. Luhan did have a crush on his girlfriend. He got drunk last night because he was jealous. He saw them kissing. What other explanation was there? He wondered if Hani realised it.

“Stop hitting him already.” Hana said.

“Yeah, I’d have to agree with the twin on this one Hani. It’s making me a little bit uncomfortable.” Yixing said quietly, his eyes locked on Hani. He was jealous too. No one in their right mind would remain best friends with the opposite gender for so long, especially not with someone as beautiful as his Hani anyway. Just because Luhan was her best friend, didn't mean he get to have special treatment. He was a guy after all.

Hani turned to pout at Yixing. “I’m so sorry. But he’s such an idiot I couldn't help myself.”

Chanyeol wolf-whistled at the newly formed couple, and Luhan turned in his seat. He could see how much Yixing wanted to kiss her pout away, and his toes curled with annoyance. Who gave him the right to just waltz into their lives and take his place?

“Settle down class!”

The professor’s loud voice filled the room and Luhan looked up with bored eyes. He hated this class. In fact, as of that moment, he hated everything that wasn’t Hani.

“Alright, today’s class will be quite short actually. I just want to tell you guys about your end of semester’s project.”

Sehun groaned. “Didn't we just complete that?” He exclaimed loudly.

The professor rolled her eyes at him. “Sehun sshi, that was last semester.” She pointed out. “Anyways, I want to divide you guys into a group of six. You are to work in pairs, meaning that there’ll be group A, B and C within the large group. Your task is simple. Group A will write a dialogue for group B, and B will write a dialogue for group C, and C for A. The story doesn’t have to link whatsoever. It can be about anything, but of course, it has to relate to the theme that I’ll give you. On the last week of your semester, you are to act out your dialogues. Each pair will have a total score of 30, 10 for dialogues, and 10 for each of your acting. Your final score will be the collective score of the whole group so each pair must make sure that the dialogue is perfect. You can discuss among yourselves, I don't mind, as long as the final product is of quality.”

“How will we be paired up professor?” Hani asked with a raise of her hand.

“Good question Hani. I want to put you guys with the people that you know personally. I do believe that you lot will be more creative that way. So for you, you’ll be with Sehun, Hana, Chanyeol, Yixing and Luhan. For group A, I’ll pair you up with Luhan, and then Yixing and Chanyeol for group B, and Sehun and Hana for group C. Any question?”

“What’s the theme about?”

The professor smiled at the class before she turned to the black board behind her. Reaching for the chalk, she wrote the one word Luhan feared the most.

LOVE

“So what are we gonna write about?” Luhan asked hesitantly. They were sitting by the window half an hour later, trying to brainstorm. Well, at least Hani was. He was too busy staring at the way she chewed her pencil. Why did he never notice how cute she looked when she does that?

“Luhan...” She started. She glanced momentarily at his lips, before she quickly looked up into his eyes. It would do no good for her to look there. It would just bring about the memory of last night, one of which she refused to remember. He still hadn’t brought it up. Maybe he didn't remember? She surely hoped not.

“Yes Hani?” He smirked at her. She didn't say anything about him kissing her, so maybe he didn't really kiss her? He wasn’t so sure anymore. Last night was a total blur anyway. Maybe it was Sehun or Chanyeol that he kissed and they didn't want to say it out loud today because they enjoyed the kiss a little too much and they were scared of being labelled gay. Luhan chuckled to himself. Yeah, he has that effect on guys too apparently.

 “You’re ok right?” She asked worriedly. “We’re ok right?”

Luhan squeezed her hand. “Of course we are Hani. You’re my best friend.”

“It’s just you’ve been so weird lately...”

“Erm... lonely? I’m still waiting for that girlfriend you know.” Luhan grumbled. Probably once he has a girlfriend, he would forget about his sudden crush on Hani.It was a big fat 'probably', but he was willing to give it a try. 

Hani laughed, and slapped his shoulder lightly. Maybe that was the truth. He was lonely, and she out of nowhere, suddenly had a boyfriend. Maybe that was why he was so weird lately. Her heart told her he wasn’t being completely honest, but her mind refused to believe. Luhan was fine. He was just lonely. He needed a girlfriend, and she was going to find one for him.

“Maybe once we finish our project, I’ll find one for you. Just in time for prom.” Hani grinned.

Luhan grinned back, relieved that he had put that beautiful smile back on her face. She looked the prettiest when she smiled, and he’d be damned if he took that smile away from her. He could once again see Yixing scrutinizing him, but he didn't care. It wasn't as if he was doing anything wrong anyway. And besides, Hani was his best friend. Before she was Yixing's girlfriend, she was Luhan's best friend, and that was more than enough reason for him to stand his ground and not be afraid of Yixing. Although he was extremely jealous of that guy. 

“So what are we gonna write about?” He asked, finally returning to the task at hand.

Hani glanced at Chanyeol and giggled when she caught his eye. “Soft .”

Luhan burst into laughter, caught by surprise at her funny suggestion. “Gay soft .”

“Did I just hear the word gay!?”


Chapter Posted on: Jun. 1. 2015

Please enjoy~~~