nineteen

7 Minutes in Heaven

Hani stirred in her sleep, and her eyelids slowly fluttered open. The room was in total darkness, and her neck was seriously aching. She was lying on something warm and she tilted her head, only to be met with Luhan's chin. Her face carved into a smile. They must have fallen asleep on the couch after the movie, and from the moonlight streaming through the curtains, she reckoned it was close to midnight.

She propped herself onto his chest and stared at his beautiful face. She traced her finger along his jawline, feeling the rough stubble on his chin. The corner of his lips twitched and she silently giggled. She had forgotten that he was very ticklish. She traced his perfect eyebrows and straight nose, before her fingertip found its way to his lips. She felt every dip and crack, trying to memorise the minute details that made his lips so luscious and inviting.

Unable to resist anymore, she leaned in and placed a soft kiss on the corner of his lips. Only Luhan had turned his head at that exact moment, causing her to fully kiss his lips instead. Not that she minded. She smiled against his lips, and felt Luhan do the same. They engaged in some serious make-out moment before they were both in need of air.

Hani lay her head back on his chest and let out a contented sigh. Luhan chuckled as he her hair. "Can I wake up to that every morning?"

"That'd be really nice but you hate my morning breath."

"I'm sure I'll grow to love it. I already love everything about you."

Hani giggled and pulled him up. "Well that's nice but I hate it. And I think it's time for you to go home."

"But it's midnight!"

"Why did you have to fall asleep then? You have to go home Lu. You have no more clothes left and you've been wearing that pair of underwear twice." Hani pointed out.

Luhan raised his eyebrow. "How did you know that? Have you been spying on me?"

Hani blushed and averted her gaze. "I have not!"

Luhan laughed and pinched her cheeks. "If you wanted to see me Hani, you could just ask. There's no need to spy."

Hani pushed him out the door and stuck her tongue out at him. "I don't need to spy Lu, I've seen it all."

He smirked back at her, and quickly wrapped her in his arms. "Yeah well, you haven't seen me lately have you? I'm bigger this time."

"Aww eww Lu! Gross! Just go home! I'm mentally scarred!" Hana shouted from the elevator. She had just returned from her late night supper with Chanyeol, and had heard Luhan glorified his self. She was definitely scarred for life. Who would've thought that pretty boy Luhan could say such dirty things?

Chanyeol too, who had been standing next to Hana, gagged, his face full of disgust. "Yuck! You two are soooo erted! Hana, maybe we shouldn't have left them alone."

"Shut up you giant dickhead! Don't think I don't hear you through the walls!" Hani glared at him. She turned to Luhan and placed another kiss on his lips, enjoying the embarrassed blush on his cheeks. "I love you. I'll see you tomorrow."

"I love you too." He mumbled before walking away. He avoided Hana's and Chanyeol's gaze, and walked past them and into the elalevator. He groaned into his hands, feeling positively mortified. How could he be so careless as to let Hana and Chanyeol hear him? Well, in all honesty, how was he to know they would be back at that exact time anyway? And he was allowed to say anything to his girlfriend! Who were they to judge him?!?

Back at the apartment, Hani continued glaring at Chanyeol. She followed him into the kitchen, then back into the living room like his shadow. "You're so annoying." She finally muttered as she sat across from him.

"I'm annoying?" Chanyeol scoffed incredulously. "You're the one following me like a freaking shadow and you call me annoying?!? Tell me Hani, are you guys doing it?"

Hani's jaw dropped in disbelief. She eyed the small couch pillow and the remote control, wondering which of the two she should throw at his head. Obviously the remote would hurt more, and she would like nothing better than to see him bleed. Unfortunately, Hana chose that moment to walk out of her room and reached for the remote, causing Hani to huff in annoyance. She wasn't going to satiate his curiosity with an answer, so she marched straight into her room, closing the door with a bang. Stupid giant dickhead monkey. She sincerely hoped his giant flappy ears would get caught in between some doors somewhere and fell off. Wouldn't that be just splendid? Well, one could dream...

She was just about to close her eyes when her phone suddenly rang. Reaching for it, she saw Sehun's goofy face staring back at her and she slid the small arrow to the right. "Hello?"

"Nuna!" His anxious tone made her skin crawl and she sat up straight. Sehun had called her late at night once before bearing bad news, was he about to do the same now?

"Sehun, are you alright?" She asked nervously.

 "Hani nuna," Sehun was panting, and this time Hani was definitely scared. Something bad had happened and Sehun was going to tell her all about it. "Nuna, it's Yixing hyung. He got into an accident. I'm at the hospital right now with him. Please come nuna, I'm scared." Sehun sobbed into the phone.

"WHAT? Oh my gosh Sehun, I'll be right there!" Hani said before quickly grabbing her bag. She ran into the living room, and made her way straight to Chanyeol.

"Hey, are you ok?" Hana asked in concern, catching the look of pure fear on Hani's face.

"Take me to the hospital please Chanyeol. Yixing got into an accident. Sehun's with him right now. Please." Hani begged. Her fingers were trembling, her lips were quivering, and her eyes welled with unshed tears. How could this happen? She silently prayed that he would be alright. She hadn't spoken to him in weeks, she hadn't given him the answers he wanted to know. And she still didn't know whether he had forgiven her. There were still so many things she wanted to say to him, and she regretted not meeting him sooner. He needed that closure, but she never gave it to him.

They reached the hospital in record time, and Hani searched frantically for Sehun. She finally found him sitting on the hard plastic chair in front of the operation theater, and her heart jumped to . Was Yixing's injury so bad that he required operation? "Sehun!" She called out.

Sehun looked up and immediately ran over to her. "Nuna! You came!"

"Of course. How's Yixing?" Hani asked worriedly.

"He's having his surgery now." Sehun replied, rubbing his face in obvious exhaustion.

"Surgery?" Chanyeol frowned. "For what? What exactly happened Sehun?"

"I don't know. The staff nurse told me someone ran him over and just left him there on the street. He's fractured quite a number of bones. And they said he might've broken his legs. He was drunk. They detected alcohol on his breath." Sehun elaborated quietly.

"And they called you first?" Hana asked.

 "Apparently I was the last person he talked to." Sehun shrugged. "The nurse told me he kept mumbling when they brought him in. He kept saying Hani nuna's name."

All three turned their heads towards Hani, and she froze. He was mumbling her name? But why? They haven’t spoken to each other in a few weeks now. In fact, she went out of her way to avoid him at all costs when she was together with Luhan. She didn't want to upset him any more than she already had.  It wasn’t fair to him at all.

“I-“

The sliding door slid open and out came the surgeon. He was with two nurses wheeling out a bed, and Hani immediately flew to him. Her instinct told her it was Yixing lying on the bed, and she was right. A dry lump formed in when she saw him, and she bit her bottom lip, trying hard to stifle a sob. Zhang Yixing was pale, He was already pale to begin with, but the unconscious Zhang Yixing was unnaturally white, and Hani was terrified. Why wasn’t he moving?

“Excuse me, but may I ask who you are?” The doctor queried in a strict tone as he took off his mask. “Are you related to this patient?”

“You know he won’t tell us anything if we don’t tell him we’re related to him.” Chanyeol mumbled quietly behind Hani.

“Uhh... We uhh...” Hana stuttered.

“I’m his fiancée.” Hani interrupted. Sehun’s eyes widened slightly, but Chanyeol was right. The doctor wouldn’t say anything if they told him none of them was related to Yixing. “How is he Doctor?”

The expression on the doctor’s face softened as he cleared his throat. “Zhang Yixing’s fine.”

All let out the breath they were holding. He was ok.

“But he did break his legs. Both his legs. My team, we did our best, but it’s gonna take a few months for him to heal.”

“Will he be able to walk as normal again?” Hana whispered.

The Doctor sighed. “Let’s pray and hope for the best ok? He might not be able to run like an athlete any more but-“

“No! How can you say that? Hope for the best?! You’re the Doctor here! You were supposed to fix him! It’s either he completely heals or he doesn’t! There’s not supposed to be in between! I don't want to just hope! I want to know for sure! What kind of a surgeon are you?!” Hani cried. Chanyeol grabbed her wrist before she could hit the Doctor. He could see how much she wanted to punch the Doctor’s face and stopped her just in time. It was understandable, but it wasn’t wise, especially not when done in anger.

“Miss, please keep it down. I understand you’re worried. But I have fixed him. Bone fractures like these take months to heal. If he’s surrounded by people who love him, who give him constant encouragement especially during his physiotherapy sessions, then I’m sure he’ll heal much faster. So please, smile for him. I’m sure he doesn’t want to see any of you sad, especially his fiancée. He’ll heal, that I can assure you. We just don't know if he’ll heal completely or not.”

“We understand Doctor.” Sehun said with a slight bow. “Can we see him?”

“He’s heavily sedated at the moment. You can go see him once he’s awake.” The Doctor said before walking away.

Hani’s knees gave way, and she almost collapsed on the floor. Sehun caught her just in time and sat her down on the plastic chair. She covered her face in her sweaty palms and cried to her heart’s contents. Sure, the Doctor said he’ll heal, but he might never feel the same again. His legs were his most prized possessions. He played basketball with them, he danced with them. Oh God, what if he couldn't dance anymore? He loved dancing!

“Hey, it’s not your fault.” Hana said soothingly as she rubber her twin’s back. “And the Doctor did say he’ll be fine.”

Hani wailed and buried her face in her twin’s hair. “Hana, what if... what if he... he loves to dance...”

“Nuna, let’s not cry anymore ok?” Sehun said softly as he took a seat on Hani’s right.

“Yeah. Remember the Doctor said we have to be strong for him? Let’s do that ok?” Chanyeol said, trying to liven up the atmosphere.

Hani sobbed and slowly nodded her head. They were right. She shouldn’t cry, she shouldn’t let Yixing see her cry. She was sure he didn't want any of their pity. She was, however, going to be there for him, attending to his every need. She didn't know why, but she felt responsible for his accident.

“You guys can go.” Hani said as she wiped her tears away. “I’ll wait until he wakes up.”

“Don’t be silly. Of course we’ll stay with you.” Hana scoffed. “Do you want to tell Luhan?”

Luhan. Hani had completely forgotten about him. They were supposed to meet up later today. Now she had no will or desire to leave. She didn't want to go anywhere. She had to be around when Yixing woke up later.

“I don't know. Chanyeol, you tell him for me.” Hani replied. “I’m going to the washroom.”

They waited, and waited. The sun had given way to the moon, and still they waited. Luhan came as soon as Chanyeol called, and had remained by Hani’s side ever since. He kept her in his arms, whispering comforting words in her ear. She appreciated him for coming, for being there with her, but she doubted Yixing would be happy to see him. But then again, Yixing might not want to see her either...

“Nuna! He’s awake!” Sehun yelled down the hall. He was peeking through the small glass window in the door, and motioned for them to hurry. They ran to him just as a nurse walked out of the room. She was staring at them one by one before her eyes finally landed on Hani.

“One person at a time please.” She said before briskly walking away.

“You go first.” Chanyeol nudged her shoulder.

Hani gripped the door handle and slowly turned in, trying to keep her anxiety in check. She was so nervous. Would Yixing kick her out before she even had the chance to say anything?

Yixing turned his head towards the door and their eyes locked. Hani was still standing by the doorway, surrounded by the others. She wanted to run and wrapped her arms around him, but kept her ground. His face was blank, his lips chapped, but still, he was as handsome as ever. The first boy to ever like her was now lying in the hospital because of her, and she felt absolutely terrible. He didn't deserve any of this.

“My fiancée.” Yixing croaked out.

Behind her, she could feel Luhan tensed up, and Hani bit her lip. Oh no. What now?


Chapter Posted: Jul. 25. 2015

Here's the next chapter! Hope you guys like it! And please leave me comments ok? I loveeee your comments! =D Enjoy!