eleven

7 Minutes in Heaven

It was 12 noon, and it was time for lunch. Everyone had gathered in the garden, ready to fill their stomachs with delicious food. Hani scanned the big table, and a frown settled on her face. Someone was missing. Luhan was missing.

Her parents were fawning over her boyfriend, so she excused herself, mouthing the word 'bathroom' to Yixing who turned a questioning eye towards her. Once out of sight, she searched the rest of the house, but he was still nowhere to be found. Where could he be?

When she passed by the glass door leading to the backyard, her eyes caught sight of the small jetty.  It hit her immediately. It was Luhan's favorite spot, and she knew that was where he would be.

True to her instinct, once she was close enough she saw him there, his feet dangling off the jetty and into the small lake. Hani watched him, mesmerized by how perfect he looked. No wonder girls worshipped the ground he walked on. He was simply breathtaking. Even though she never considered him as boyfriend material, she couldn't deny the fact that Luhan was one handsome man. But of course, not as handsome as her boyfriend.

"Having fun enjoying the view?" He asked, not bothering to turn around.

Hani giggled, and placed herself next to him. She immediately reached for his hand, a habit she had picked up over the years. Her heart was fine, but Luhan's skipped a beat. When she started picking at his nails, his heart skipped two beats. He thought if she did anything else, his heart would stop beating altogether.

"How did you know I was here?" Hani inquired.

Luhan rolled his eyes at her, trying his hardest not to smash his face against hers. "What are you doing out here?"

"I could ask you the same thing. What are you doing out here? Everyone's already in the garden for lunch."

Luhan shrugged. "Just enjoying the view. I thought I'd eat later."

"Hey," Hani tugged at his hand, forcing him to look at her. "Is everything alright? You've been kinda out of it lately. Wanna tell me what's wrong?"

He turned to look at her, before he tore his eyes away from her painfully beautiful face. Should he really tell her what was wrong with him? This time being completely sober? Would she take him more seriously this time? Was he willing to risk their friendship over his unrequited love? Could he do that to her? Was he that evil?

"Do you remember what we promised each other that day before we moved to the big city?" He asked softly.

"You mean when we were 19?" Hani asked, her mind drifting to that day. They had both gotten their acceptance letters, and were terrified to leave the town they grew up in, especially Hani. Sure, she had Hana, but it was a given fact that Hana would be by her side always. Luhan though,she wasn't so sure. He was popular then, just as he was now. What if he met someone and completely forgot about her?

We promised not to drift apart..." Hani recounted, her eyes glazed with sudden unshed tears.

"Tell me," Luhan said, turning to face her. "And tell me honestly, have I ever drifted away from you?"

Hani stared at his pretty face for quite a while, before dropping her gaze to their intertwined hands. "Truthfully Luhan, I did feel... abandoned. Hana met Chanyeol as soon as we enrolled, and you met that girl too. That time, Sehun wasn't a friend of ours and Yixing wasn't even an option. So you could imagine how lonely I felt. I ended up in the library most of the time, writing whatever that came to mind." She said quietly. Then she let out a small laugh and continued in a brigther tone. "But seriously, what brought this on? Oh my gosh, don't tell me! Have I been abadoning you since I started going out with Yixing?"

Luhan's heart hurt from her revelation, but he plastered a smile on his face anyway. "Sort of. Maybe that's why I've been so sentimental lately."

"Really? I'm so sorry." Hani pouted. "How should I make it up to you?"

~Leave Yixing and come to me?~

Luhan chuckled and shook his head. "I don't think you can give me what I want. And I'm sorry if you feel abandoned. I never meant to hurt you."

Hani waved it off. "Let's not talk about this anymore. It's been ages. Let's just promise not to drift apart from now on, until we grow old."

Luhan raised his eyebrow. "Even when you're 85 with white hair and no teeth, I'll still be there for you."

Hani smacked the back of his head soundly. "Really Luhan? Is that how you imagined I look like when I'm old? And I bet you'll be looking as you are now?"

"Most definitely." He grinned.

Hani pulled him up and dragged him towards the house. "Then I better start saving money for some plastic surgery and botox. What should I do first? My nose?"

Their peels of laughter continued until they reached the garden and Yixing's eyes narrowed. She didn't go to the bathroom with him did she? Was he always going to lose to Luhan?

Chanyeol glanced at Luhan, and he let out a soft sigh. Luhan got it bad this time, and he wasn't sure how to help him, or who he was rooting for more. Yixing made her happy in two weeks, but Luhan has made her happy for 20 or so years. But Luhan was an idiot. He has had 20 years to fall for her, so why did he have to fall for her when someone already liked her? Why did he have to have what he can't have?

***

"Let her go man." Luhan looked up and stared blankly at Chanyeol. His friend slid down the wall next to him and Luhan looked away. He didn't have to explain anything to the taller man.

"I know you love Hani." Chanyeol continued quietly. "But you had your whole life to love her. Why did you have to start now when she already met someone? And by the looks of it, Yixing really really likes her too."

Luhan didn't have to listen to Chanyeol. Yes, he did regret not loving her first, but he wasn't going to let her go. There must be something wrong with Yixing. He couldn't be all that perfect. He was going to find Yixing's flaw, and he was going to tell Hani all about it.

 


 

Chapter posted on: jun 7 2015

Heyyyy. Next chapter is up! Hope you guys like this one! I typed it on my phone so I couldn't italisized some stuff, so i used ~ instead. :D leave comments ok?!?