The Supposed-To-Be Friend

The Exchange
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“LEE SORA!”

 

The roaring voice of her math teacher scared the wits out of Sora. She snapped her head up in alarm and immediately wiped the drool from her chin. She blinked rapidly at her fallen books, which she had knocked off of her desk with her elbow.

 

She sheepishly smiled at him, fluttering her eyelashes cutely, wanting to win him over.

 

But who is she fooling? This is a math teacher we are talking about! If he fell for her charms, then who wouldn’t?

 

“Were you doing what I think you were doing?” he asked her, with an angry tone. His eyes squinted hard at Sora like she committed a crime, which in her case, she kind of did, considering that she was snoozing off during class.

 

“Umm…did you mean to say, concentrating really hard on this beautiful subject taught by this handsome teacher?” she complimented the teacher, hoping that maybe he would fall for her stupid act. Unfortunately, he wasn’t flattered.

 

“Come here and solve this problem on the board,” he snarled at her. Beside him, his donkey demon honked, making her grimace. Seriously, why did his demon chose this animal? From all the animals that were in his power range to choose from, he chose a donkey.

 

'I mean, really?' thought Sora.

 

With a gulp, Sora darted her eyes across the room, trying to find a savior. Sora at math. If it wasn't bad enough that she had zero powers, Sora also had zero brain cells.

 

She saw Baekhyun smirking at her from his seat while leaning his back comfortably on his chair. Baekhyun raised an amused eyebrow at her. Sora scowled at him and wished she had a power that could expel him into another dimension.

 

Sora glanced at her seatmate, who was giving her a blank stare. He had a black number 8 cap that covered his dark brown hair and his pointy Yoda ears. Her seatmate was looking at her without any emotion, silently watching her while flipping his pen.

 

Sora wanted to ask him for help, but the I-don't-care-about-you vibe he was giving her was making Sora annoyed. How is she going to make friends if none of them even bothered to be nice?

 

 

"Umm… I kinda don't know how to… Solve…It." After Sora replied, sniggers from everyone in the class made her pout. She sent a dark look to Baekhyun who was laughing the loudest. 'What an '

 

"If you weren't sleeping in my class, you would have known how to!" Her teacher shouted, making Sora flinch. She thinks that her teacher is only aggressive and violent towards her because she is only a mere human with no powers.

 

"It’s not like that! Really… It’s just that math is kinda… Hmm you know…Hard?" Sora couldn't help the wondering tone in her voice. She should have stopped talking by now because her words seemed to anger her teacher even more.

 

"Hard? Hard?! It’s not hard it’s just that your stupid brain can't function properly! Have you heard anyone else say math is hard?" At this rate, the teacher and his demon were furious. The donkey kept wailing and jumping while honking loudly.

 

Everyone shook their heads when she looked at them. “Liars” she thought angrily. They were whining how hard math was the other day in the library.

 

"You see Lee Sora? You are the only one who is whining. Not only are you pathetic without any powers, but you also lack any brain cells. Tell me now, what am I supposed to do with you?" He was calmer now, but his words hurt even more than his loud bawling. Maybe she was a weakling without any powers, but is power what defines her? Sora is pretty sure that none of the other students understand the lesson, but the teacher purposefully turned a blind eye on them and picks only on her.

 

"Mianhae songsaeng-nim..." She apologized softly with a bow of her head, feeling a little bit exhausted. Sora didn’t have the energy to curse him and scream ' you!' Sora might be bold, but she isn't disrespectful. The elderly must be treated with respect.

 

"Chanyeol! From now on, you are going to teach her math, you are my best student. I’m counting on you! If she doesn’t pass her test, I'm punishing both of you!" The teacher huffed, before turning around to continue the lesson.

 

Sora slowly sat back down and glanced at her seat partner. It seemed that during Sora’s conversation with the teacher, his eyes reflected shallowness and emptiness. Now, however, they seemed to glitter with a spark of anger.

 

She gulped and sheepishly smiled at him while waving her fingers playfully, trying to lift the mood. The boy silently shook his head before turning back to write his notes, not sending her any further glances.

 

But Sora saw a twinkle of fire playing around his fingertips.

 

 

Lee Sora couldn’t help but sigh to hide her annoyance. Why are these posters plastered all over the school? Does Sora have to look upon these very much pointless flyers as a reminder?

 

“Be prepared for Lee Yoora’s birthday! A huge party is to be held in her honor! Come to the Lee’s palace at Monday the fourth to witness the best party…blah blah blah,” Sora read with a bored tone. Did Sora have to find about the party like this? With a flyer? Like everyone else? As Yoora’s cousin, they should have told her earlier. Sora is a Lee family member for god’s sake! Why do they treat her like she’s a ‘nobody’ when obviously, Sora is one of them by blood?

 

She sighed again. It’s okay, it’s fun to be a nobody. Very fun to the point where she wanted to laugh out loud.

 

“Very fun my .” Sora humorlessly laughed at herself before banging her head to the locker beside her. Some students around her sent her funny looks.

 

She pulled her backpack toward her stomach and took out a mini calendar. Sora peeked at the small, circled reminder around Wednesday the fourth. She sighed and rolled her eyes. “Am I this unfortunate to have my birthday two days after Yoora’s?”

 

“Oooh your birthday is a month away?” An annoying sound from behind her woke Sora up from her daydreams. She turned her head around to see a blonde boy with his head leaning against her shoulder- well, because Sora turned around really fast, the boy stepped back. Loser.

 

She scowled at him and hid the calendar away.

 

"Oh Sehun… What a pleasant surprise to see you here, shouldn't you be over there?" With a smirk, Sora pointed to a single door far away at the corner, with the sign 'Learners' plastered in an ugly shade of brown on it.

 

Sehun sent her a dark look and lifted his fist. He did a crushing motion with it and hissed.

 

Oh Sehun is a royal, but he was a late bloomer. His power (wind, which Sora actually finds pretty cool but won’t admit) had come to him on his fourteenth birthday, which was four years ago. He had a trouble controlling it flawlessly like the other royals. His parents honestly thought he wouldn't even have a power, because every other person received their powers at birth.

 

Actually, he and Sora were best friends when they were young. Both of them were powerless, so they clicked right away. She used to protect him all the time from bullies.

 

Sehun was the only friend she had. He was cute and innocent, he looked up to her, and he said they’d stay friends forever, but it all changed when he started developing his powers. Sehun’s parents forbade him from even taking a step outside their house. They claimed that Sehun was a beginner therefore a danger to society. He and Sora drifted apart. Sehun began befriending the other royals and started ignoring Sora. Once he started bullying, Sora stopped trying to get Sehun back.

 

"I'll kill you Lee Sora," he snarled at her, trying to not look at the place she pointed at. Sehun hated the fact that he is a late bloomer.

 

"Ooh I'm scared," she taunted him with a smirk, and he surprisingly smirked back.

 

"At least I eventually developed one… What about you? Forever the loser with no power at all?"

 

Her smirk turned into a scowl and she did a crushing sign with her fist.

 

"Yah! You ! If having powers means that I'll act like an , then I don't want them!"

 

"Oh come on who are you kidding? Everyone wants a power! Why do you think you are being bullied?"

 

"Because I'm a human and a reminder of how corrupted your minds are," Sora’s smirk returned, and she bravely crossed her arms.

 

"Please! Don't pretend that you’re an angel! If you are really as human as you claim, you obviously made some mistakes. That’s what humanity is all about right? Making mistakes?"

 

Instead of smirking, Sora smiled softly, trying to ignore the stabs of betrayal she receives from Sehun.

 

"I don't know about that, but I know the single mistake I regret making in my life…"

 

Sehun quirked an eyebrow at her reply, a smirk still lingering on his face, knowing that he won the argument.

 

She looked at him, her smile disappearing into a cold expression that Sehun had never seen on her face. Sora is always

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter