Discover, Denial, and a New Rule

The Exchange
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So, I bet everyone here has heard the rumors. People have started to question the oddity of the situation. The elders are now investigating the matter as we speak." 

 

Aunt Mei had an aura around her, and everyone was able to feel it. It was her usual strong aura, but right now it seemed to increase.

 

Even Sora felt it.

 

Which was weird, considering how she wasn’t supposed to feel it. She bit her lips when her body shook in nervousness. Now that she actually thought about it, she could feel everyone's aura.

 

It wasn't as how it was usually described; instead, their auras were colorful to her. It wasn't like how they described at all. They said you would be able to see a person's intentions, whether they were bad or not. They said that it's indescribable, and people failed to put words into it, but Sora, saw it pretty well.

 

They were just…colorful beams.

 

They weren't visible of course, she just felt them, and she immediately thought of colors while watching.

 

They said that it reflects emotion, but Sora didn’t believe it. Nothing in the world could tell one’s emotion, they are continuously changing. It’s hard to tell one's aura if it was constantly changing right?

 

Right now, everyone in the room had gray auras. She liked to believe that they were all nervous now, and the real color wasn't actually gray.

 

Luhan though, he was different. His aura was dark black, and she knew he was furious.

 

She just knows.

 

Aunt Mei send a look to every boy around her, making them gulp. The boys and Yoora all stiffened, holding her solemn gaze as it narrowed at Yoora.

 

"They think you are adopted! I don't understand why you aren't the heir, did we miscalculate your birthday date?" Aunt Mei breathed out in frustration, and Yoora gulped again before looking away, not wanting to look her mother in the eye.

 

Luhan sent a sneaky look to Sora, who was still squinting her eyes in concentration, trying to see what every boy is feeling now, who knows? Maybe their aura is the key to their emotions, even though she doubted it.

 

He didn't say anything, but he still didn't take his eyes off of her. He had a solid look on his face, monitoring every action she does.

 

"Sora, what's wrong with you? Why are you covering your hair?"

 

After finishing dwelling on her sorrow, her aunt lifted her head up to glance at the slightly dazed girl, who was still as clueless as ever.

 

"Huh? What?" Without concentration, Sora replied, lifting her eyes slightly to look at her aunt, who was giving her a weird look.

 

"What's wrong with you?" She repeated her question, looking up at her niece with an annoyed gaze, knowing that Sora wasn't listening to her.

 

"Oh, nothing. I'm just a little sleepy, that’s all," she gave a sheepish smile, waving her hands slightly to brush off the matter, which wasn't really helping because her aunt was still eyeing her sharply.

 

She wasn't totally lying. Yesterday when she fell asleep, Sora kept hearing voices in her head. Voices of two people arguing. It really annoyed her, and the fact that she was having a weird dream only made her more annoyed. She ended up staying all night.

 

"What are we going to do now?" Suho questioned with a calm voice as he brushed his fingers against the surface of the table, thinking deeply about the situation they found themselves in.

 

"Don't worry, we will fix this. I'm sure there is something we are missing. I just need you all to try and lighten up the mood at school. Don't let any more rumors start. We really need to contain this before it gets to the ears of unwanted people," Aunt Mei instructed strictly while giving them a nod, which they all returned shakily, not really understanding how she would be able to fix things.

 

They all stood up from their places, getting ready to go to school. They all bowed respectfully at the Lee elder and took their backpacks.

 

Sora stretched in her place and yawned, taking her bag and checking her cap to see if it was tight enough; who knows what would happen in school today, you could never trust a bully. 

 

"Oh and boys, I’m sorry to say this, but Yoora is no longer going to be living with you together in that house. You'll all be on hold for a while until we find the real beholder."

 

Different groans were thrown everywhere, but Sora heard Yoora the loudest. She smirked sneakily and clapped her hands, amused. Even though she wasn't happy to be spending her entire life with Yoora, she was still happy Yoora wasn't going to live with her 'boyfriends' anymore.

 

Huh, who would thought she was such a too? Then again, she isn't really perfect; no one is.

 

"But Omma!" Yoora whined, giving her mother the biggest pout ever, trying to win her over.

 

"I'm sorry, but the elders refused. They want the real beholder to be living with them, not you!"

 

Yoora huffed at her mother's words and flicked her hair, as if she wasn't the slightest bit bothered by the elders' decision.

 

But Sora knew better. She had seen the hurt look in Yoora's eyes. Yoora was hurt by the fact that she was no longer is the awaited beholder, and her mother's words weren't really helping. Yoora is still a human who has feelings, and right now, Sora really pitied her.

 

“She thought her deeds were going to pass by without a punishment. Tsk tsk tsk, shameful…”

 

Sora shook her head and walked away from the group, knowing that the 'meeting' was done. She could not be any happier to be leaving the house to go to school.

 

Indeed there is something wrong with her.

 

She strolled happily outside, forgetting for a minute the issues of her hair and the talking crocodile. She was just happy, and she didn't want anything to ruin that small share of happiness she had.

 

But nothing lasts forever. 

 

A solid grip on her arms jerked her backward, and Sora found herself being flung to the nearest wall. Her breath was cut short, and she fought for air. A hand held her sides tightly, and she couldn't even make a squeaky, surprised voice.

 

"Easy there Luhan…" She heard Baekhyun's voice from the background, a worried voice. She knew it wasn't Baek who held her, but Luhan.

 

The despicable jerk.

 

"What is this? For how long did you know?" He growled at her, giving her sides an angry squeeze like she was just a toy he was about to crush.

 

Maybe that’s what she is to him. Just a small toy that needs to be disposed of because like he said, she is just plain useless.

 

He removed his hands from her sides, moving them up to  her neck instead, touching her skin with his burning hands.

 

He was dead angry.

 

"Luhan!" This time it was Sehun who warned and Sora really wanted to scoff at his face to yell at him to stop his acting and just join his hyung. She doesn't trust Sehun at all. 

 

Yoora was surprised with Sehun's outburst. From the twelve, he was the one who complained the most about how annoying Sora was; why did he suddenly seemed worried like she was a precious gem?

 

Why?

 

Nobody really knows, or maybe it was just her who was oblivious, because Sehun might have even told everyone besides her. But Yoora is his crush isn't she?

 

Isn't…she?

 

    Yoora took a look at Chanyeol and saw him biting down on his lips, staring at the two with focused eyes like a wolf ready to jump on his prey. She didn't even bother check Baekhyun's face; she already knew he was worried.

 

Why do they all look worried?

 

She clenched her fists tightly and turned away from the scene in front of her. She really wanted to leave, but she just couldn't leave Luhan alone.

 

Luhan ignored everyone and let go of the hanging Sora, who fell down on her immediately and whimpered. His grip on her sides was so strong that she could feel them aching.

 

"You son of a…why would you do that?! Huh?!" Sora shouted angrily, biting down on her lips to stop the curses from exiting .

 

"Don't you dare give me that look! How the hell is it you? You are a goddamn human! You have freaking human blood in your system!" Luhan was frustrated that he started to spout nonsense, everyone could tell by his messed up sentences. Nobody knew what the hell he was talking about.

 

"What?" Sora asked with a confused face as she watched him check out his own hands in hurry, seeming to be debating with herself.

 

He sent her a cold glare before looking at his demon that was now shifting into a huge husky dog with white and brown fur.

 

Luhan's eyes widened and in a second, he started backing away, even before the dog could do anything to him, which caught everyone's attention.

 

The dog stood in front of Sora protectively, growling dangerously at Luhan, who gulped and kept backing away, not wanting to mess everything up with his own demon. 

 

Everyone was surprised but their suspicions were confirmed. Before, when it happened with Kris, they didn't want to believe it, but now Luhan just sacrificed himself to prove it to them, and they were angry.

 

Yoora was the angriest one in the group. She knew what this meant before Sora could even find out herself. She wasn't the happiest person in earth when Luhan's theory turned out to be correct, in fact, she wasn't happy at all and wanted to rip Sora's throat out. Just how unfair does this have to be?

 

Sora didn't wait to get an explanation on the odd behaviors of the demons today and immediately stood up from her place, cheering the dog on.

 

"Yes! That’s right! Kill him doggie! He doesn't deserve to live," Sora chanted loudly while mehroning to Luhan, who scowled at her. The boys' jaws dropped to the floor and they all shared a look. Even in this situation, she was being sarcastic?

 

To be honest, it wasn't because she wanted to be sarcastic, it was because she didn't want them to see her in her weakest state. She was actually shaking and fear was right there in her heart. She just didn't want anyone to know.

 

Because she liked to believe she was a strong person.

 

The dog stopped growling and sent a whimper in her direction, bending his head down in apologizing manner. She swore she saw him shaking his head.

 

“I cannot, he is my master too…”

 

Sora screamed when she heard the dog's voice in her head and pointed an accusing finger towards it.

 

"You talk too? How come I only knew about this now?"

 

That’s it, it was the last straw for Yoora, who shook her head stubbornly and walked away in anger and sadness, not believing that her own cousin that she despised for a long time was someone much more important than her.

 

She cannot take it and she will not take it.

 

Kris and a few other boys followed Yoora in shock when she left, leaving only Luhan, Baekhyun, Sehun, Chanyeol, and Suho, who had his eyes closed, thinking.

 

The dog ignored Sora's loud outburst and headed to his master, rubbing his head silently on his Luhan’s legs as if apologizing for his angry growls.

 

"What the heck is going on here?" Sora mumbled softly to herself, but everyone heard her and turned to look at her with the same wide eyes they had few minutes ago.

 

"Luhan…check the hair." Suho's monotone voice made Sora snap her gaze to him, noticing how he refused to look at her and only looked elsewhere.

 

Was there some shame…in his eyes?

 

Luhan rushed to her and took her cap off of her head, revealing her (dyed) silver pink hair.

 

Everyone gaped silently at her, and Chanyeol cursed under his breath. Sora couldn’t understand their bizarre behaviors, but she didn't question them anyway, they were always odd to her. Always.

 

She scowled at Luhan (who didn't even bother to mask his surprise), taking her cap away from him and wore it again. This time she didn't add any sarcastic remarks.

 

"Good gracious Luhan…we need to take her to the elders…"

 

Just what?

 

What did Suho say?

 

"Let me go! Let me go you sneaky bastard! I do not like the fact that your hands are all over me!" 

 

Sora's screams echoed in every corner of the block. It seemed like a girl was being murdered by lousy killers who enjoyed killing like a drunk men, or maybe two rapists who were getting ready to a girl with the use of knifes. Yeah, this is how crazy her shrieks were. Not only that, but everyone who was there held in the urge to cover their ears (actually, Sehun fell into the temptation and did just that).

 

Sora struggled against the arms around her, screeching in his ears a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter