The Audition That Will Change My Life

The King

Ji Yong's Point of View

I gently opened my eyes to see if Kyung had come back yet, but I saw TOP closing the door. I quickly shut my eyes again so he thought I was asleep and hopefully leave, but I listened to his movements and realized that he had sat down in the chair beside me. I opened my eyes to see him holding a bag that looked like mine. I quickly jumped up from the bed and grabbed it from his hands.

    “What do you think you’re doing?!” He yelled as he tugged back on the bag.

         “That’s my bag!” I yelled back as we continued to pull back and forth. “Let go!”

I pulled harder on the bag as TOP decided to let go. I felt myself tumble backwards off the bed and managed to hit my head on the floor. I casually raised myself from the floor as TOP began to laugh. He was laughing so hard it almost seemed as if he was crying. I got back onto the bed and placed the bag on my lap. TOP then found a moment and snatched the bag off my lap. As I tried to reach for it, he opened it and took out a notebook that wasn’t mine. Then he took out another and also a textbook that wasn’t mine. I then realized that the bag wasn’t mine. I looked around to see my backpack along with my jacket. I looked down embarrassed as I addressed TOP.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know that we had the same backpack.” I said.

“Yeah, whatever thief.” He said sarcastically.

He then threw his jacket and backpack over his shoulder and got up from his chair. He looked at me then rolled his eyes and started to walk toward the door.

“You’re going to be getting a call.” He said before he shut the door behind him.      

“What does that mean?” I asked myself. “I don’t see why anyone would even want to be around him.”

Then I heard my cell phone go off across the room. I quickly walked over to it and answered it.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Yes, hello. Is this Mr. Kwon Ji Yong?” The man on the other line asked.

“Yes, it is. How can I help you?” I was afraid that it was a loan shark since they are always trying to find a way to get money from us.

“My name is Jang Geun Suk, I’m the Dean here at Westfield Private High School.” I could feel my heart drop. “I’m here to ask you to come to our school.”

“May I ask why?” I asked.

“Oh yes, of course. I had a couple of students here say that they overheard you playing the piano here yesterday. I would like you to come for an audition.” He answered.

“Um, yes of course. I’d love to.” I said very energetically.

I heard Mr. Jang chuckle on the other line. “I’ll send one of my best students to come pick you up. I heard you are in the hospital, correct?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Alright, I look forward to hearing you.” He said as he hung up.

After I put my phone back in my bag, a nurse came in with a wheelchair and said that I was cleared. I got into the chair and the nurse wheeled me out to the waiting area. When I asked the lady at the front desk how much my bill would cost, I felt my body go numb.

“$2,000?!” I asked.

“Yes sir.” She responded.

“I understand.” I said as the nurse helped me out of the wheelchair. The nurse said goodbye and left. I walked over to the front doors and saw that Kyung was walking towards me. I stopped and greeted him.

    “I’m here to pick you up.” He said as he stopped in front of me.

    “Really?” I asked as he turned around.

    “My bike is parked over there.” He said.

    “Bike?”

    “Motorcycle.” He said.

    He walked into the parking lot and I followed behind him. Not to far away a motorcycle was parked with two helmets on it. I stared at the beautiful bike. It was black and had blue wave designs on it.It looked alot like the ocean.

    “Are you thinking about how it looks like the ocean?” He asked as he handed me a helmet.

    “Yeah. Do you like the ocean?” I asked in response.

    “Well, I designed it so Yuri would liked it.”

    “Yuri?”

    “You don’t know her.” He said then got on the bike.

    I giggled as I put the helmet on my head. I thought it was funny because I did know Yuri. She had been a friend of mine since I met Ha Na. I got on behind Kyung. I felt my heart beat faster as I placed my hands on his sides. He turned the bike on and started to drive off. The wind hitting me felt good as we drove. I could smell Kyung’s cologne. Before I knew it we were pulling up to the school. Unlike the other day, men in suits and dark sunglasses were around the school.

    “Professor D.!” Kyung called toward one of the men.

    One of them turned around and approached us. He took the keys from Kyung and his helmet then he asked for mine. I took mine off but then the man dropped Kyung’s helmet and keys. He apologized and picked them up, then dusted the helmet off. He then looked at me again with his mouth slightly open as if he was surprised.

    “Ji? Is that you?” He asked.

    “Yes, and who are you?” I asked him.

    He then took off his sunglasses.

    “Dae Sung?” I asked as I realized that my childhood tutor was standing in front of me.

    “Professor D., do you know Ji Yong?” Kyung asked him.

    “Do I ever! He was the boy I tutored when I was in high school and he was in elementary.” He said then hugged me.

    “Professor, we need to go.” Hyung said as he pulled me by the arm away from Dae Sung. I waved goodbye to him as Kyung dragged me into the school.

    Kyung lead me to the music room which was where I had been in earlier when I started playing. Kyung went into the room first and I followed behind him. A man in a suit was sitting in a chair looking down at a  clipboard and one of the bodyguards stood behind him. Kyung put his hand on my back and pushed me toward the man sitting. I got the hint and continued to walk forward. The man looked up from the clipboard and stood up.

    “Mr. Ji Yong, I presume,” he started. “I’m Jung Geun Suk, I’m the Dean here. I believe you may already know my son, Ji Ho. He’s the captain of several of the sport teams.”

“Yes, I do. He seems to be very nice.” I said as I shook Mr. Jung’s hand.

“Thank you for coming so quickly, especially since you are still recovering from your fall.” He looked at me with a raised eyebrow and sat back down in his chair. “You may begin whenever you like.”

I sat down in front of the piano and closed my eyes. I took my hand up to the locket my mother gave me the morning before my concert as a good luck charm. When I closed my eyes I could see an image of my mother smiling. That gave me the courage to play.

“That’s very neat necklace, where did you get it?” Mr. Jung asked.

“It was the last present I got from my mother before she died. It’s my good luck charm.” I answered.

He smiled and watched as I got in my playing position and then closed my eyes once again. I began to play thinking of my mother. I felt that she was sitting right next to, and smiling like she always did when I played. I felt tears form in my eyes but a smile also. Before I knew it I finished the song and opened my eyes. I looked over to see Kyung, Dae Sung and Mr. Jung with surprised looks on their faces. I stood up and bowed to them, like I used to do after every performance.

Mr. Dae Sung looked at me and smiled. He looked at both Dae Sung and Kyung. He seemed to have came to a conclusion. He then got up from his chair and asked me to follow him. As instructed I followed him out of the room and down the hallway. He then stopped in front of a room with double doors and two men dressed in suits. They opened the doors for us and Mr. Jung invited me inside.

Inside was a large room, that some would say was like a rec. room, where you could pass time and hang out. In front of the television were 4 guys. SOL, U-Kwon, Zico, and TOP all were sitting on the sofa. Zico, U-Kwon, and SOL all got up from the sofa and greeted us. Surprised to see me with the Dean they all were wondering why I was there.

“Everyone,” Mr. Jung started. “This is Kwon Ji Yong, he will be attending this school starting Monday. So please take care of him.” He said then turned to me and smiled. He then excused himself to go get the papers I needed to sign to agree to attend the school.

“I’m really going to be a student here?” I asked him before he left.

He simply nodded his head and left the room. I watched as the men shut the doors behind him. Then Zico, SOL, U-Kwon and Kyung surrounded me and  began to yell congratulations and welcomes at me at all directions. I felt for once that something good was happening to me. I felt like I belonged somewhere.

Pictures:

Dae Sung-

Dean-

Locket-

Rec Room-