Case of the Ex

My Husband's Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            “I need a CT scan right away,” Yoona demanded, “I need to intubate.”

            Yoona’s hands began to quickly work on her teenage patient as she accurately inserted a tube into the patient’s mouth.  An intern took an ambu bag and began to squeeze it in a steady pattern.  She looked at the monitor to see that his breathing was stabilized, but his heartbeat was still irregular.

            “After the CT, book an OR right away,” Yoona decided, “Page a neuro and cardio consult as soon as possible.”

            Yoona detected brain bleeding, and his heartbeat’s pattern displayed signs of dangerous consequences.  

            “I’ll page Dr. Choi for cardio,” Minho stated.

            “Don’t,” Yoona barked, “Page someone else.  Dr. Horvejkul if you have to.”

 

Yoona’s POV

            “Dr. Im,” Yuri called out.

            I was in the lounge as I began to read a few medical articles about pediatric surgery.  Yuri sat down beside me and leaned back on the sofa.  Yuri had just gotten out of the emergency room, and she had to deal with several patients who suffered due to a car accident on the highway.

            “What’s up?” I asked.

            I had saved the teenager’s life with the help of Dr. Ok and Dr. Horvejkul.  I was concerned that he wasn’t going to make it because of how much blood he was losing, but all was now well, and the patient was stabilized.

            “Dr. Choi is angry with you,” Yuri sighed, “He was in the emergency room with me, and all he did was complain about how you paged for Dr. Horvejkul.”

            I rolled my eyes after hearing that as I grunted to myself.  Things between Seunghyun and I had been awkward and tense ever since he accidentally told me that he loved me.  I didn’t know if he was lying or not.  What if he was just joking?

            “Why would he get mad?  I requested for Dr. Horvejkul instead.  There’s nothing wrong with it,” I scoffed.

            Yuri replied, “I think he was jealous, Yoona ah.  He was green with envy to know that you depended on Nichkhun more than your own husband.  He was insisting that he go instead, but Dr. Horvejkul was persistent on going.”

            “It’s his ego,” Yoona snorted, “He doesn’t want his pride to get hurt.”

______________________

            Yoona exited her patient’s room as she hung the clipboard on the wall next to the entrance of the patient room.  She fought the urge to run away from the sight of him, but she kept her cool and smiled at him politely.

            “Hi, Dr. Choi,” Nichkhun told.

            “No, no,” Yoona shook her head, “I never changed my last name.  It’s still Im.”

            Nichkhun grinned, “Let me guess.  You never believed in taking a man’s name because you want to have your own identity.  Don’t you love him enough, Yoona?”

            She knew what he was trying to do.  He was trying to determine if she was happy with her marriage.  He was interested in her again, but things had grown complicated.  Getting back with Nichkhun to start an affair was the last thing on her mind.

            “Dr. Horvejkul, I would like to say that it’s completely out of your line to try to figure out whether or not I have a good relationship with my husband.  I know you want me now, Dr. Horvejkul.  Yes, I did lose my ity to you, but let me tell you that it was horrible.  I hated it, and it hurt like hell.  It wasn’t in your place to tell my husband that you were the one I lost my ity to.  You know what?  You’re in no right place to tell anyone in this world that I had lost my ity to you.”

            Yoona was saying it loud enough for the whole place to hear.  She had lost her cool, and she was poking Nichkhun’s chest with every point she was making.  She had never been this angry with someone before.

“You’re not the man I share my bed with every night.  You could have been, but you blew your chances.  You only want me now because I don’t wear those glasses anymore.  I don’t have braces anymore, and I finally discovered how to use makeup.  I’m a brilliant doctor, and you cannot get me back.  Please stop trying.  It’s only making my husband feel uneasy.  You ask why I haven’t changed my name to my husband’s.  It’s because I am a surgeon.  I had established my career as Dr. Im.  It also means that I have no time for anything else except for work.  I will change it legally when I have time, but I will still be addressed as Dr. Im in the workplace.”

            Nichkhun stared in disbelief.  She had hit every single thought in his head.  It was true.  He wanted her back because of her sudden transformation.  She had grown to be a confident woman who was successful in all aspects of her life.  She was no longer the timid, quiet girl who Nichkhun dated in medical school.

            “I’m sorry,” he apologized, “I know I’m stupid.  There was just a part of me that wanted to see if things between us would work out.  I know you love him.  I know you don’t tell him that because you’re the type who shows it rather than to say it, but I can see it in your actions.  You love your husband, and there’s nothing I can do to make you stop loving him.  Can I call a truce?”

            Yoona forced a smile on her face, “Okay.  I’m just glad you understand.”

            Nichkhun reached in for a hug, and Yoona politely hugged him back.  She quickly pulled away after a second of hugging him and then turned to her side.  She saw Seunghyun turn back and walk the opposite way.  She pressed her lips together and breathed out through her nose.

            She knew that she would have to speak to Seunghyun soon.

_____________________

Yoona’s POV

            “Seunghyun,” I called out.

            I had unlocked the door to my home and walked past it.  I closed the door behind me and locked it right away.  I took off my coat and took a deep breath.  My feet were aching, and I was scheduled to return to the hospital in the morning.  I kicked off my shoes and slowly made my way up the stairs. 

            I raised her head to hear distant music.  It was coming from a piano to be exact.  I followed the music, and I realized that I was on my way to the other side of the house.  The only parts of the house that I would go to were the bedroom, the living room, my bathroom, and the kitchen.  Otherwise, I never explored much or spent a good amount of time in any other room.

            I slowly opened the door to see Seunghyun sitting in front of a piano.  When the hell did we get a piano?  He was playing it so proficiently, and it was something new that I didn’t know about him.  I noticed a smile on my face, but I quickly wiped it off and replaced with a neutral expression.

            The wonderful music stopped as soon as he noticed that I was in the room.  I saw his shoulders heave up and down while his head lowered.  I slowly approached him and put my hands on his shoulders. 

            “Yoona, not now,” he quietly stated.

            “There’s never a good time with you,” I spoke.

            He sighed, “Look.  You don’t need to explain yourself.  I know that hug meant nothing.  Look at me.  I’m acting like a child because I caught you hugging another man.  Who ever thought that I would end up like this?”

            “I told him that he had no chance of ever getting back with me.  I told him that he had no right to tell you that I had lost my ity to him.  I told him that I was happy with my marriage,” I informed him.

            It looked as if he was relieved to hear that.  I immediately took a seat next to him on the piano bench as my fingers touched the keys softly.  I had not played the piano in over three years.  Ever since I became a surgical resident, I never had the time to practice.

            I began to play the first song that I had learned—Für Elise.  To my surprise, Seunghyun joined in, and we were playing in synchronization together.  It was as if our hearts knew the song, and we could play it together like we’ve been practicing for years.  A smile appeared on my face, and he began to chuckle to himself.

            The song finally came to an end, and we both looked at each other right away. 

            “Seunghyun,” I broke the silence, “I need to know.”

            He asked, “Know what?”

            “What did you mean?” I questioned.

            “What are you talking about?” he scoffed.

            He was irritating me, and I wanted to smack him for playing stupid.  I frowned at him and breathed in.  Was I really going to do this?  Was I really going to ask that question?  The question on my mind was going ignite something, and I didn’t know if it was good or not.  I was afraid, but I wanted the answer.

            “What did you mean?  When you told me that thing?  If you ask me what thing, I swear I will break this piano,” I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter