The Birds and the Bees

My Husband's Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica’s POV

            I yawned as I began to update one of my patient’s charts.  I was still in the middle of my shift, and I already felt exhausted.  I was helping Yoona empty out her room a few hours before my shift started, and she had so many things.  She had compiled a lot of clothes from Chanel, Vera Wang, and all those other designer names from her modeling days.  She ended up giving some of her clothes to Seohyun and me.  We were more than delighted to take them from her.  I managed to attain $12,000 worth of clothes from Yoona’s closet.  I never asked Seohyun how much she took, but she wasn’t shy to ask for what she wanted.

            “The patient from room 1101 wants another round of medication,” a nurse told me.

            I narrowed my eyes as I glanced over at the patient’s room.  Through the window, I saw that he was reading a magazine to himself.

            “I gave him pain meds half an hour ago,” I stated, “He doesn’t look as if he’s in pain.  I think he might be addicted to medications.  I want you to call for a psych consult within an hour.”

            The nurse nodded with understanding as I continued to fill out the charts.  I tore my eyes away from the paper as I was filling out after hearing something being pushed across the counter I was writing on.  I looked up to see a cup of hot coffee in front of me. 

            Then, I heard someone clear his throat.  I looked up again to see an attending surgeon in front of me.  It was none other than Jiyong Kwon, the head of orthopedic surgery.  I raised an eyebrow at him as he smiled at me.

            “Hello, Dr. Kwon,” I said in a flat tone, “How can I help you?”

            He grinned at me like a child, “I just wanted to give you a cup of coffee.”

            I looked at the coffee and then back at him.  What was he up to? 

            “Why?” I bluntly asked.

            “Nothing,” he answered, “I’m used to seeing you so lively and happy.  It looks as if you’re having an off day, so I wanted to give you a cup of coffee to cheer you up.  You have that smile that I’m used to seeing everyday, and it’s not there today.  I hope it comes back.”

            My smile was missing today?  What was he talking about?  I smile everyday.  Okay, maybe I didn’t smile everyday, but why was it any of his business?

            “I just don’t like seeing you grumpy,” he chimed, “You’re too pretty to be grumpy.”

            He then pinched my nose before he left.  I heard the nurses giggling as I stared in shock.  Was he…flirting with me?  Most of all, did he just pinch my nose?  Was that man crazy?  I shook away the thoughts.  I was only a resident and he was the head of orthopedics.  I could not have a crush on him.  That would be stupid.

______________________

Yoona’s POV

            Why was my grandfather in the hospital again?  He told me he was going to go to New York to spend some time with my cousins there, but he texted me that he was planning on buying a house in the city. 

            I was walking down the hallways until I saw Seunghyun and my grandfather inside a room.  I raised an eyebrow.  Was my grandfather teaching Seunghyun?  My grandfather was never the type to share his secrets to surgery.  Seunghyun must have impressed him somehow.  Maybe he performed a difficult surgery that enthralled my grandfather.

            “Yoona, aren’t you going to greet us?” my grandfather asked.

            I lowered my eyes, “Hm…hi.”

            He chuckled heartily as he ruffled my hair.  I grunted because he always did that to me.  He treated me like a little child even though I wasn’t.  I was in my twenties for goodness sake, but he still treated me like I was a ten-year-old girl.

            I immediately fixed the hair that he had messed up as I took a deep breath.

            “How did you guys enjoy the house last night?” my grandfather asked.

            “Uh, we didn’t spend last night there,” I replied, “We were in my patient’s room.”

            Joomin grinned, “That’s great.”

            I bet he already knew that.  He just wanted to hear it from my mouth.  My grandfather passed Seunghyun a surgical needle.  He was teaching him how to suture an open wound more effectively.  I remembered the first time he had taught me that.  He never really intended for me to learn it.  I just watched him and I learned it quickly. 

            “By tying the sutures this way, the scars are less visible by 65%.  It makes a huge difference,” Joomin informed Seunghyun.

            The look on Seunghyun’s face resembled that of a child’s on Christmas morning.  I smiled as I looked at the sight before me.  They were getting along, and it was very strange.  My grandfather was a nice person, but I never seen him interact with another person who was not blood related to him like that. 

            “There,” Joomin stated, “It’s finished.  You have steady hands, Dr. Choi.  It’s a blessing.”

            “Thank you,” Seunghyun bowed his head.

_____________________________

            “You don’t understand,” Seunghyun rolled his eyes.

            He was taking a break from work.  He had just finished checking up on his postop patients, and he was finally resting in the surgeons’ lounge.  Jiyong was beside him as he glued his eyes onto the large television screen on the wall. 

            “The man is a genius,” Seunghyun said in awe, “I wish he was my grandfather!”

            Seunghyun had wished that his family were into the medical field like the Im family.  His family was heavily involved with politics, and he never had an interest in that. 

            “I know he’s amazing, Seunghyun,” Jiyong informed him, “I think you’re so excited because you never thought his granddaughter would be amazing, too.”

            Seunghyun had to admit that he was impressed with Yoona and her abilities.  She was a great surgeon.  She thought quickly on her feet, and she was intelligent.  She was speedy in learning, and she seemed to memorize things efficiently.

            “She’s…she’s something else,” Seunghyun finally said.

            “Don’t fall for her spell,” Jiyong advised, “Remember your goal.  All you want from her is a link to her grandfather.  Now that her grandfather’s clock is ticking, you need to hurry.”

            Seunghyun didn’t understand why he was thinking this way.  He always had the mindset of everything in fast-forward.  He didn’t really want to rush this.  Of course, it was time sensitive because Joomin had announced his illness, but he felt as if it wouldn’t be appropriate to rush it all.

____________________

            Taecyeon paged Yoona for help because his patient was a child.  The child had suffered contusions in the brain due to a car accident, and Taecyeon needed help because he suspected damage in the internal organs, also.

            “It’s a pleasure to have you here, Dr. Im,” Taecyeon nodded.

            He had already cut into the child’s scalp, and he looked up at Yoona.  Yoona had her surgical mask on, and she was working on the child’s liver.  Taecyeon had his surgical loupes on while a nurse handed him a surgical tool.

            “I’ve been here since my internship,” Yoona said in a quiet tone, “I’ve worked with you before.”

            “Yes, but now you’re a fellow.  I remember you, Dr. Im.  You were the quiet one, and I always wondered why

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter