Yoona's Family

My Husband's Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Credit:  the wonderful Nomadzs)

            Seunghyun was alone in his office as he stared at his desktop screen.  There was an incoming videoconference, and he was second guessing if he wanted to accept it.  He knew it was from his family back in Seoul because it displayed a call from South Korea.  He sighed to himself as he adjusted his tie.  He clicked on the green button to accept the call, and various screens immediately popped up on his screen.  First, he saw his two sisters, and then he looked at his three cousins.

            They were all in their own offices as they all continued to yell at once.  Seunghyun rolled his eyes; Sooyoung had warned him beforehand that she had slipped and accidentally told them that he was now married.  They were angry that he failed to inform them about his marriage.

            His sisters, Narsha and Sulli, were yelling over their cousins, Chaerin, Uee, and Min.  They were very headstrong, and they all believed that they were right.

            “How dare you, Choi Seunghyun!”

            “Married?  Really?!”

            “You’re dead when we get there, oppa!”

            “It’s like we’re not a part of your family!”

            The rants continued until Seunghyun slammed his hands down against his desk.  The women fell silent as Seunghyun stared at the screen with intensity.  His eyes drifted to the picture frame of him and his wife on his desk.  He was never close to his family, but Yoona wanted to meet them.  He was doing this for Yoona.  He kept that in mind.

            “Listen, yes,” Seunghyun began, “I am married.  I didn’t tell you guys, and I only told Sooyoung; I’m sorry, okay?  Let’s get past that.  Yoona and I are going to have an officiated ceremony with all of that reception and lovey dovey stuff soon, and I’m inviting all of you.  If you don’t want to go, then fine, but if you want to, make sure to clear your schedule.  My wife wants to meet all of you, and if it was up to me, I would not even invite you guys.”

            The women remained silent as they stared in shock.  They had taken advantage of the only living male in their family over the years, and that was the reason why he had drifted apart from them.  His whole family was into politics and law, and Seunghyun and Sooyoung were the only ones to go into medicine.  Seunghyun had encouraged Sooyoung to follow her dreams instead of follow in their parents’ footsteps, and that was why Sooyoung was so loyal to her older cousin.

            “What’s her full name?” Sulli asked.

            Narsha added, “What’s her job?”

            “How’s she like?” Min questioned.

            “How old is she?” Uee inquired.

            “How does she look?” Chaerin compiled.

            Seunghyun sighed to himself as they bombarded him with questions.

            “Her name is Yoona Im.  She’s absolutely wonderful—beautiful, dignified, mannered, and kindhearted.  She’s a surgical fellow specializing in pediatrics and fetal surgery.  She’s three years younger than me.  Now, stop with the questions,” Seunghyun requested.

            Narsha crossed her arms against her chest and sighed deeply.  Seunghyun was the first to marry in the family, and it shocked her.  He had an even more hectic schedule than she had, and he managed to find a spouse.

            Narsha was the new mayor of Seoul, and she lived a busy life.  Being the eldest in the family held a lot of pressure for her.  Her father was the president of South Korea back in his day, and the media was expecting them all to excel in politics like their elders.  It was actually a shock that Taecyeon, Seunghyun, and Sooyoung had taken an interest in medicine.  She continued to stare at her brother in disbelief.  She would have never guessed that Seunghyun would grow up so quickly.

            “We’ll take the time off,” Narsha decided, “We’ll be on a plane by tomorrow.”

            All at once, the ladies turned off their computers leaving Seunghyun with a blank screen.  Yoona’s family would be on their way, and Seunghyun’s would also fly in soon.  He leaned back on his chair as he slowly exhaled.

            Narsha was the busy mayor of Seoul.  Chaerin, Uee, and Min were diligent prosecutors, and Sulli was a fulltime law student.  Seunghyun didn’t think that they would have agreed to go so quickly.  They usually put up a fight.

            He snapped out of his thoughts after he heard his pager go off.  He pulled off his pager to read that one of his patients was coding; he immediately exited his office and made his way to his patient’s room.

__________________________

            “Change the dressing on his wounds, and when the operation room is booked and available, please page me as soon as you can,” Yoona instructed the nurse.

            The nurse nodded in agreement as they pushed the patient in a gurney to another room.  Yoona deeply sighed as she mentally prepared herself for a long surgery.  She had guessed that the child’s surgery would take at least five hours. 

            “Dr. Choi,” Krystal called out.

            Yoona turned around to see the young intern running towards her with a sense of urgency in her voice.  Yoona frowned as she stuffed her hands in her pockets.  Krystal panted as she came to a halt.

            “Dr. Choi, you have guests here,” Krystal informed her.

            Yoona raised her brow, “I haven’t legally changed my name.  I’m still Dr. Im.”

            “Sorry, my sister keeps on telling me how much you two are in love and I kind of assumed,” Krystal admitted, “You have guests over.  You need to get to the lobby quick.”
            Her eyes were widened as she stared at Yoona with a serious look on her face.  Yoona knew that her expression meant that her family was there.  She quickly nodded at Krystal and began to swiftly walk to the lobby.

            Instead of taking the elevator, she took the stairs because she saw of how crowded it was in the elevators.  She went down a few flights of stairs and then sprinted out of the door.  She quickly looked around to see a cluster of men grouped together.  She saw her cousins, but when she came closer, she saw them all around Seunghyun.  Her eyes widened as she quickly interrupted the interrogation.

            Eunhyuk, Sungmin, Kangin, Yesung, Taemin, and Onew were surrounding Seunghyun as he showed a nervous look on his face.  He never felt so interrogated in his life, and a wave of relief appeared on his face after Yoona showed up.

            “What are you guys doing to my husband?” Yoona quickly questioned.

            She grabbed Seunghyun’s hand and pulled him away from her cousins.  Eunhyuk frowned and crossed his arms against his chest.

            “We just wanted to get to know him, Yoona,” Eunhyuk assured her, “And I wanted to know if he really was as brilliant as they claim him to be in the papers.”

            Eunhyuk was also a cardiothoracic surgeon, and he had read up on Seunghyun’s studies.  He was impressed with his work, and he was surprised that he had begun his research ever since he was a surgical resident. 

            “We were just trying to get to know him,” Eunhyuk insisted, “You know it’s not right for the baby of the family to get married without telling her family.”

            Yoona rolled her eyes, and Seunghyun immediately saw her irritation and annoyance on her face.  She was being smothered, and this was what she meant when she said that they treated her like a child.  Maybe that was the reason she refused to stay in New York.

            “I am not the baby.  I’m not the youngest.  Taemin is,” Yoona corrected them.

            Yesung laughed, “But you’re the only woman.  That makes you the baby.”

            “That makes absolutely no sense,” Yoona pointed out, “Oppa, you’re still a misogynist.”

            Yoona and Seunghyun’s pager began to beep, and everyone knew that it was an emergency call just by listening to the rhythm of the beat.  It sounded urgent and abrupt.  They sighed in defeat after realizing that both Seunghyun and Yoona had to tend to their responsibilities right away.

            “Duty calls,” Yoona grinned as she took her husband’s hand and lead him to the nearest elevator.

            “Actually, let’s have dinner tonight.  Yoona and I get off at 5 pm, and we would love to have you over for dinner at 8,” Seunghyun offered.

            Yoona’s jaw dropped, “No, you don’t really have to do that.”

            Yoona wanted a relaxing night after their shift.  She knew how her family was, and they were crazy.  They were sophisticated, well-mannered surgeons, but when it came down to celebrations and enjoyment, they never held back.  Seunghyun just didn’t know what he was getting himself into.

            “That’ll be great,” Kangin smirked, “We’ll see you at 8.”

_____________________

            “I don’t know why you did that,” Yoona sighed as she s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter