Epilogue: Absolutely Ready

My Husband's Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note:  Surprised because of this update?  I am, too.  Please do enjoy :)

-Sunshine94

 

Seunghyun’s POV

            Adam was now two years old, and even though he knew how to walk and talk, he still was not mature enough to process what had been happening for the past few months.  Yoona was now eight months pregnant, and everyone in the hospital was on their feet.  Krystal and Seohyun were very cautious, and even Ga-in was pitching in to make sure that Yoona was okay.

            The chief of surgery, Yunho, had given me the past few months off because of my…unfortunate circumstances.  I should be a mess right now, and in honesty, I would be a mess if Adam were not depending on me.  I held a box full of freshly baked cookies in one hand and my son on my other arm. 

            Yoona and I were doctors.  She was the head of pediatric and fetal surgery.  I was the head of cardiothoracic surgery.  We accidentally got married, I tried to use her, she tried to use me—you know that part of the story, right?  I thought after we got married and had Adam that there would be nothing but smooth sailing after that.  I wish I knew that life never stopped, and life is not always full of joy and bliss.  I thought Yoona and I had suffered enough and that we would only have comfortable, boring years ahead of us.  I was so grateful for a wife like Yoona and for my son, Adam, but I was so caught up in the bliss that I forgot that life threw curveballs, too.

            Yoona was supposed to drive to the hospital to pick me up after a long shift.  We were arguing during that time, but she still agreed to pick me up with an angry tone in her voice.  My car had a flat tire, and I just wanted to go home to rest.  She was already on maternity leave with our third child after Violet and Adam, and I waited for a long time.  I waited two hours, and I found out why she was late once I saw an ambulance pull up with her in it.

            I felt horrible because I remembered that I was so ungrateful that day.  I had two patients throw up on me, I had a flat tire, and the media was hounding me because I still had not finished my publications.  Yoona and I argued because I had been staying overnight at the hospital at least two times a week.  Our argument was pointless, but we did not speak to each other often because of our pride.  I was only focused on what was wrong and not on what was right in my life.  I complained about small things when I should have looked at the bigger picture.  I had a beautiful family, and my friends were always there for me, but I could not see that.

            I remembered that her body was covered in blood.  She had a concussion, multiple contusions, a few bruised ribs, and open cuts.  A drunk driver had hit Yoona, and the same driver was brought to the hospital.  Taecyeon, Jiyong, and Youngbae had to hold me back and remind me of the oath that I took in order to improve the health of patients despite any disagreements.

            It had been over ten weeks since Yoona had fallen into a coma.  I was a doctor, and I knew that if she didn’t wake up in 90 days, her chances of waking up would fall drastically—below 1%.  My sweet, dear wife would be seen as a vegetable in the eyes of other doctors.

            Krystal, who was now engaged to my brother-in-law, smiled at Adam before she took Adam from my arms.  She gave an uplifting smile as Adam began to cry immediately after realizing that he would be away from me.  It was so ironic that Adam pretty much disliked me compared to how he treated his mother.  Now that Yoona wasn’t around, he had been clinging onto me as if he was hanging on for dear life.  I kissed his forehead as I looked into his eyes.  He had tears in his eyes, and all I could do was hope that Yoona would wake up so he could be happy. 

            “I’ll be back soon, Adam,” I assured him, “Auntie Krystal will take good care of you.”

            Adam pouted, “Where’s mama?”

            He had been asking about her over and over again, and I only had one excuse.  I just told him that Yoona was at work.  I didn’t want Adam to see his mother with a tube down .  I didn’t want him to see the bruises and stitches on her body.  I didn’t know how he would react to her in that state.

            “She’s working,” I lied.

            “Ah, oppa,” Krystal sighed changing the subject, “Are those chocolate chip cookies?”

            I shook my head, “I brought sugar cookies today.”

            Yoona always told me that if she was ever in the hospital, she wanted me to bring her cookies and not flowers.  She claimed that flowers were overrated, and they make people sad because they die right before your eyes.  She said to bring her cookies—her favorite dessert.  She wanted to smell the aroma, and she assured me that the scent of good cookies would be more than enough to make her feel better in any state.  I had visited her every single day and brought cookies in, but she had still not woken up.  The nurses and other doctors would eat the cookies on the days that Yoona did not wake up—that was every single day she was in here.

            “Dada!” Adam cried out as Krystal took him away.

            Yoona made fun of me because of what Adam called me.  I was actually quite amused because Adam called me dada instead of dad or daddy.  I watched Krystal walk away towards the daycare with other children.  I forced a smile on my face as I watched Krystal take my son farther and farther away.

            I waved, “I’ll be back soon, baby!”

_____________________________________

Yoona’s POV

            It’s been like this for months.  I had never experienced this kind of thing.  It was as if my soul was knocked out of my body once that car hit me, and even though I could not feel myself inside of my body, I could hear Seunghyun’s voice.  He was talking to me.  He came to visit me every single day, and his love for me was once again confirmed.

            He was back for another visit, and somehow, I felt a shift in his mood.  He would often joke around and tell me to wake my lazy up because it was difficult to raise Adam alone.  He would joke that sleeping for a long time will not make me any prettier—he said I was already too beautiful for my own good.  He was always cracking jokes with me, but right now, he was just quiet.  I could see everything that he was doing, and all I had to see was his body language to know that something was wrong.

            He was sitting beside the hospital bed with my fingers interlaced with his.  He was staring at my face like how he stared at me when we got married.  How could he still look at me as if he was looking at a beautiful bride when my face was filled with bruises and flaws?

            “Babe, it’s not funny anymore,” his voice trembled, “You really need to wake up.  I know I act like I’m strong, but I’m really not.  I really need you in my life.  We already lost Violet.  I can’t lose you, too.  And our baby…they said that they have to remove our baby from you soon.  Please wake up.  Time is running out.”

            I remembered the rule.  I had 90 days to wake up.  If I didn’t, my chances would dip significantly, and chances were that I would not survive.  My body was struggling, and they had to hook me up to a ventilator to breathe.  Seunghyun knew that I was struggling, but he was holding on.

            I wanted to wake up, but I couldn’t.  My body was stuck here on this hospital bed, and the only times I break out of boredom was when I would get a visitor.  Seunghyun, Jessica, Jiyong, Seohyun, Yuri, and the other doctors spoke to me often.  Minho visited less, but that was because he hated seeing me like this.  Even though he would only visit a few times, he would stay for hours and tell me how scared he was.  He told me that I needed to wake up for my family.  I wanted to, but I couldn’t.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            I was alone again.  Seunghyun had to go to work, and he was in the operation room working on an elderly man for a pacemaker.  He had popped into my room earlier to check on me, but he was only able to stay for ten minutes before his pager went off.  Here I was…in a hospital bed.  I felt like a ghost—I mean I had to be one, right?  I could see everything in this room, but I couldn’t move my own body.  I couldn’t really explain my viewpoint.  It felt like my soul had left my body and that I was just an outsider watching all of this.  I was watching my own body sleep for goodness sake.

            “Mommy!” I heard a familiar voice. 

            My eyes widened as I heard that voice.  I slowly turned around to see my little angel waving over at me.  I had to be dreaming.  This was not real.  She ran over to me and hugged me tightly.  I was experiencing so many mixed emotions—confusion, happiness, and even more confusion.  Was this real?  Would I wake up one day and only think that this was a figment of my imagination?  Or was I dying?  Was Violet here to get me?

            “Vi,” my voice broke.

            She happily grinned, “I’m so happy to be able to talk to you again!”

            I stared at my precious daughter.  It had been a while since she left us.  She had died in my arms, and even though I had only known her for a year, I already had so many dreams for her.  To have her ripped away from my arms twice was painful, but I knew that she was living blissfully in the afterlife.

            “Wh-what are you doing here?” I choked.

            I loved Violet.  I really did love her, but was she here to get me?  I didn’t want to leave yet.  I was pregnant with another child.  Adam still needed me, and Seunghyun couldn’t do this on his own.  I wanted to be with Violet, but they needed me more. 

            “Mommy, don’t be silly.  I’m not here to get you,” she giggled, “That hasn’t been decided yet.  God said that he doesn’t know if he’s going to call you home yet.  I’m here because God wanted me to welcome my baby sister to the world.”

            “What?” my brows furrowed.

            “You’re going to give birth soon, mommy.  God said He would decide whether or not you stay on Earth after you give birth to my sister,” Violet informed me.

            I was going to have a girl.  I was going to have another daughter.  Tears filled my eyes; Seunghyun and I were supposed to find out together.  We wanted the of our baby to be a surprise, and it broke my heart that my body was going to be unconscious.  As a doctor, I knew that I would be able to deliver a baby while in a coma.  It was a little tricky, but a caesarian section would be required.

            On cue, I heard my monitors beep wildly.  They had been monitoring my body’s contractions.  Seunghyun didn’t give them permission to deliver the baby yet because he still believed that I was going to wake up.  I guess it was too late now.

            Krystal and Seohyun sprinted to the room with a team of interns and nurses behind them.  They paged Seunghyun that they were going to deliver the baby, and then they hurried me to the operation room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            “So how is it…in heaven?” I suddenly asked Violet. 

            I was in the waiting room as Violet and I watched Seunghyun.  It had been an hour, and he was absolutely nervous.  I hated seeing him so anxious, so I had been asking Violet questions to distract myself. I wish he could see his wife and daughter sitting right across from him, but that was not reality.  I was a ghost watching him.

            “God said to stop thinking that you’re a ghost,” Violet lectured me.

            I narrowed my eyes, “What?”

            “He knows everything.  He said that you think that you’re a ghost.  You’re not a ghost because your body is not dead.  Your soul is just roaming around,” Violet explained, “And heaven is so much better than it is here.  I met great-grandfather, mommy.  He told me to tell you that he loves you and Uncle Minho very much.”

            I nervously swallow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter