The Secret

My Husband's Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seunghyun’s POV

            I woke up in my bed after having that dream.  That dream was oddly satisfying.  I had just seen my whole life flash before my eyes—if Yoona and I had never split.  It was as if God himself had given me a preview of how life would have been if I had not made those stupid mistakes.  My eyes opened widely to see that I had IVs on.  I had an IV running through my left hand as I stared in horror.  What the hell happened?

            “How are his vitals?” I heard Jiyong’s distant voice.

            He saw my eyes open widely, and the distorted voices began to sound clear.  I saw Young Bae next to Jiyong with worried looks on their faces.  My whole body was sore, and my fingertips ran against the stitches on my chest.  I ran my fingers through the closed wound again, but this time, I did it slower.  I realized that it was the stitch that Joomin had taught me years ago.  Yoona did this.  She operated on me.  She saved me.  As far as I knew, only Yoona and I knew how to tie this knot.

            “Yoona,” I managed to say, “I need to see her.”

            Jiyong answered, “Seunghyun ah, maybe we should wait a little.”

            Panic immediately ensued my whole being as I thought of the worst.  What if that bastard had killed her?  What if she was harmed because she tried saving me?  Tears began to form in my eyes, and Jiyong and Young Bae grew alert because of the sight.

            “She’s fine,” Young Bae quickly added, “She’s just fine.  She wasn’t hurt.  In fact, she was the one who stopped him.”

            She stopped him?  How did she do that?  I tried my best to sit up, and it hurt like hell.  I sat up, but Jiyong put his hands on my shoulders to stop me.  I looked at them; I needed to see Yoona.  I needed to talk to her.

            Young Bae offered, “You’ll see her.  Just don’t be so abrupt.  Your body is healing, and you should know that you’re supposed to take it easy.”

_______________

Yoona’s POV

            I was sitting in a hospital bed on the fourth floor.  I never thought that I would actually be in this position.  Sooyoung leaned towards me as she folded her hands together.  She probably thought I was going crazy after what I had done.  I did what I had to do.  It was either our lives or Jake’s, and I knew that I made the right choice.  Bom, Seunghyun, and I were surgeons who saved lives almost every single day.  Jake was a burned out cop who used to beat his ex-wife. 

            “Yoona, you have to show some emotions,” Sooyoung whispered, “If you’re angry, scream.  If you’re sad, then cry.  At least say something.”

            I had tried saying something, but I couldn’t.  I would want to tell her about the details of how I had taken a scalpel that I had been hiding in my sleeve because Bom didn’t give me the scalpel on the tray and stabbed Jake in his jugular vein just seconds before he was about to shoot Seunghyun in the head.  I remembered the blood, the screaming, and the crying.  I remembered Jake’s blood splashing on my face and on every surface within ten feet of his body as I shielded Seunghyun’s open wound with my body so that Jake’s blood wouldn’t come into contact with Seunghyun’s open body.  I knew the risk of disease and virus if I had let any of Jake’s blood touch Seunghyun’s body.  I didn’t know Jake, and I didn’t know if he was a walking STD.  I was just so hell bent on saving and protecting Choi Seunghyun.  I was so set on saving the father of my child—the love of my life.

            There was a soft knock on the door, and I saw Daesung enter the room while pushing Seunghyun in a wheelchair.  Seunghyun had a concerned look on his face while Daesung came in with a small smile.  I think he knew that I was going to have a reaction to seeing Seunghyun finally alive.  It had been three days.  They didn’t let me see Violet for three days because they said it was protocol that they make sure that I was safe before I could see my own child. I understood it because I knew it was a protocol, but it was difficult when you were on the other side.  I was put on psychiatric hold.  I would have never pictured myself to be held against my will to assure the safety of others.  Surely enough, Sooyoung finally deemed me mentally fit to be around others again.

            Seunghyun tried to stand, and Daesung attempted to stop him.  We were all doctors, and we all knew that he was strong enough to stand.  He suffered a gunshot wound—not broken legs.  He sat beside me—not sure if I would allow him to touch me.

            I smelled his scent and took in his presence.  I couldn’t believe that he still had his signature scent despite being in this hospital for the past few days.  I immediately burst into tears and wrapped my arms around him.  I knew that it hurt him a little, but I couldn’t help it.  I missed him so much.  I was so glad that he was okay.

            “I missed you.  I missed you so much,” I whimpered.

_______________________

Seunghyun’s POV

            The chief of surgery told us that we both had a few days off, which was great because both Yoona and I needed it badly.  It had been three weeks since the whole incident, and we needed time away from everything.  My family owned a beach house down Malibu, and I decided that it was best for the whole family to spend a few days there.  My wound had somewhat healed, and because of Yoona’s expert stitches, I knew that there was hardly going to be a scar.

            “Who owned this beach house?” Yoona asked in a quiet tone.

            “It was my mother’s,” I informed her, “She lived here alone after she found out about my father’s affair.  This is my first time coming here.”

            This was the place my mom ran away to for two weeks after she discovered who Taecyeon really was.  It all made sense to me now.  My father told me that my mother was on a trip to Malibu for work, but he was lying.  She was here because she was grieving over her unfaithful husband.  This was my mother’s safe haven, and I knew it could be mine, too.

            “Daddy, look at the beach!” Violet pointed out the window with a grin on her face.

            The house was very close to the beach, and the house must have cost a fortune.  I saw our daughter running around the house while Yoona walked around the living room while looking at everything.  I could imagine my mother walking around the house like Yoona.  My mother was lost because she had found out that her husband of over 20 years had an illegitimate son.  Yoona was walking around with a lot on her mind because she had killed a man to protect us.

            “Violet, why don’t you go upstairs?” I requested, “The servants already settled in your clothes.  Go get your bathing suit; your Auntie Sooyoung and Uncle Daesung is going to come to take you to the beach.”

            Just like that, my little angel’s eyes lit up as a wide grin appeared on her face.  Violet’s smile must have melted Yoona’s heart because Yoona finally cracked a grin to see our daughter so blissful.

            Violet began to scramble up the stairs to get ready for the beach.  I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and kissed the side of her head.  She had her arms folded against her chest as she inhaled.

            “I didn’t know that Sooyoung was here,” she stated.

            “Yeah, she’s here for her patient who moved to Malibu.  She wanted to spend time with Violet, and I figured it’d be a great way to start off what I planned for you,” I revealed.

            She tilted her head, “What?  You have something planned for tonight?”

            “Of course,” I nodded, “I wouldn’t have dragged you and Violet all the way here to do nothing.  Tomorrow, we’re going to go sight seeing with Violet, but tonight, it’s only you and me.”

______________________

Yoona’s POV

            I was dressed in a floral skirt and a white halter-top when I walked out of the room.  Seunghyun was wearing a pair of khaki jeans and a button up shirt.  I playfully smacked his arm as I saw him look at me up and down before he offered his hand to me.  I slowly took his hand as he led me into a limo.  He even rented a limo, so this must have been planned for quite some time already.

            We were driving for about fifteen minutes until we reached our destination.  Like a gentleman, Seunghyun got out of the car first and offered his hand to me as I stepped out.  At first, I was only looking at him.  I was looking at what he was wearing and I had to say that he looked so handsome.  I was so used to seeing him in scrubs and a medical lab coat, just like me, but now we finally had time off.

            He kissed my hand when I looked at my surroundings.  I was in absolute awe at the whole scene in front of me.  The night sky was dark, and there weren’t many stars.  There were lights delicately hung around the whole place leading to a freaking yacht.  I looked at the yacht and saw that it was docked on the side as if it had been waiting for our arrival.  My jaw dropped.  How the hell did Seunghyun get a yacht?

            “What?” I asked puzzled.

            He grinned, “Well, I wanted to make everything extravagant.”

            “How did you even get this?” I questioned, “This must have cost a fortune.”

            Well, that was a little stupid of me to say to begin with.  He was a world-renowned surgeon—just like me.  I earned millions of dollars a year, and because he had been a surgeon longer than I have, I knew that he earned even more.

            “I didn’t even have to buy it.  It was my parents’ yacht, and when they died, this and some other properties were given to me,” he revealed.

            I knew that his parents were rich—I mean his father used to be the president of South Korea until his untimely death and scandals.  His mother came from wealth, and he had lived in that lifestyle.

            He took my hand and led me to the yacht.  I was amazed over everything.  It was like he had written the book on giving a woman a fairytale that she had always dreamed of.  I smiled at him as tears threatened to escape my eyes.

            I had gone through so much with this man.  This man had seen the good and ugly sides of me.  This man had seen me at my best and worst, and we always ended up in each other’s arms again.  Even though we were separated for a few years, I knew that he cared about me.  I was the one he kept calling for when he was rescued from North Korea.  I was the one he wanted to stay with.  I was the one who was meant for him, and I felt so damned lucky.  I was just a plain Jane, and God had gifted me the prince charming of my dreams.

            “Today, I want you to forget about everything,” he told me, “Forget about work, your patients, the hospital shooting, and all your problems.  I just want you to enjoy this day.  I want you to smile, laugh, and breathe.  Just remember that Violet and I love you so much.  Just think happy memories.”

            I inhaled slowly and exhaled.  I was going to forget everything tonight.  I was going to forget about my worries for my patient, Andy, who was a 10-year-old diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  I was going to forget that I worried that he would pass any moment now.  I was going to forget that I have more than ten children’s lives in my hands at the moment.  I was going to forget about Jake—the shooting.  I was going to forget about Bom.  I was going to forget about everything that troubled me.  Tonight, I had no problems.

            I just wanted to enjoy this one night.  One night.  I deserve this one night of freedom.

____________________

Sooyoung’s POV

            Seunghyun and Yoona had just called me asking if Violet could sleep over at my hotel room.  Because she was my niece, I had to agree, and besides, she had already fallen asleep when her parents called. I figured that it was good to give Seunghyun and Yoona some time to catch up with each other.  I knew that they were on a rocky bridge at the moment, and they needed time to mend their relationship again.

            “Honey, is Violet spending the night here?” Daesung asked.

            “Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter