I Love You

My Husband's Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoona’s POV

            “I don’t know why you stopped me from making you breakfast,” Seunghyun pouted.

            I chuckled at him as we both walked through the doors to the hospital.  I had never thought that I would get along with him.  I was invisible to him years ago, but now that I was his wife, it felt like I was the center of his world.  He gave me a lot of attention, and I had to admit that I didn’t mind it. 

            “There was pancake batter all over the kitchen,” I replied, “You would have ruined our kitchen.  I guess I should thank you for the effort.  I’m sure it would have tasted good.”

            I knew that he had never cooked a day in his life, but I really did appreciate the effort.  I didn’t think he would ever try to make an effort, but he was slowly showing me more and more every single day that he cared. 

            He was carrying my bag as we made our way into the locker room.  While we walked through the halls, a few nurses and interns greeted us, and we greeted them back.  I saw Yuri enter the hall and run towards us.

            As always, she looked beautiful, but there was a hint of anxiousness on her face.

            “Dr. Im,” Yuri called out, “Dr. Choi!  We have two guests who come from New York.”

            “Guests?” I questioned.

            She nodded, “Yes, Dr. Hyorin Kim is here.  She’s the fellow surgeon specializing in fetal surgery.  She’s actually here to learn from Dr. Peterson.”

            Dr. Peterson was one of my mentors.  Fetal surgeons were very rare, and there weren’t many of us.  That was one reason I wanted to be one.  I had to admit that I felt a little uneasy to know that a doctor came all the way from New York to learn from my mentor.  My inner competitiveness was emerging into my personality.

            I saw Seunghyun freeze as he stared at the blank wall.  Something was wrong with him, and I was sure it had to deal with the fact that Yuri had just said that name.  Yuri looked at him with a bit of confusion as I tried to figure out why he was acting so odd.

            “There’s also another doctor here,” Yuri added slowly, “His name is Dr. Horvejkul.  He’s the cardiothoracic surgeon who works with Dr. Hyorin Kim.  The two came for the main purpose of their patient.  Our technology on the west coast is more advanced, and they needed assistance on their patient.”

            Now, it was my turn to freak out.  My eyes widened after I heard that name.  Horvejkul.  It was the most difficult name I had ever heard.  He also happened to be my first love.  He was the man I had dated years ago.  He was my first serious boyfriend.

            “The patient is a 10-year-old female,” Yuri continued, “She has an inoperable tumors all over her torso, and Dr. Yunho Jung wanted you two to be a part of the surgery.”

            “If it’s inoperable, why are we even trying?” I questioned, “What if it kills her?  There’s multiples ones, right?”

            Yuri nodded “Yes, but most of them are cancerous tumors.  She’ll die anyways.  She decided to try the surgery.”

_______________________

3rd Person POV

            Yoona spend the whole time trying to dodge a specific person.  She pressed her back against the wall as she peeked at the corner of the wall.  She saw the coast was clear and quickly made her way to the nurses’ station so that she could grab her binder filled with all the files on which patients she was going be assigned to.

            The nurses nodded at her and smiled as Yoona smiled back.  She opened the binder and quickly read about the patient she was going to work on with Seunghyun, Dr. Horvejkul, and Dr. Kim.  The patient’s name was Samantha White.  She was a 10-year-old female who suffered from five tumors located in her heart, stomach, and lungs.  The one in her heart was considered to be inoperable.

            “Ah, I knew it had to be you, Yoongie,” Yoona heard a voice behind her. 

            She quickly closed the binder and turned around.  She saw Dr. Nichkhun Horvejkul with a gentle smile on his face.  He always saw him to be the dreamy type.  His smile was kind, his skin was smooth, and his eyes were just angelic.  Yoona saw that he no longer had light brown hair, and his hair was now darker.

            “Dr. Horvejkul, it’s nice to see you again,” Yoona stated in a professional tone, “It’s been years.”

            “Ah, don’t be like that, Yoongie,” he winked.

            He then swung his arm around her shoulders and pulled her body closer to his.  Yoona’s eyes bulged out as he kissed the side of her head.  He began to lead her down the hall much to her dismay.

________________

Seunghyun’s POV

            “How can you not tell me about Jessica?” I asked, “You always bug me about Yoona, but you won’t even tell me about Jessica.”

            Jiyong defended, “I was going to tell you about her after, but Yoona caught us and I’m guessing she reported it to you right away.  She’s a very loyal wife.”

            We were walking down the hall, and we were going to pick up our binders.  We needed to get started on our patients, but something was bugging me.  I didn’t want to see Dr. Hyorin Kim, and I wished that I had called in.  She was probably one of the most annoying women I had ever met.

            “I heard Hyorin is here,” Jiyong suddenly stated, “I wonder how Yoona will react to it.  She’d probably get jealous.”

            Jiyong continued to walk, but he noticed me halt.  He looked back to see me staring with an intent look on my face.  My arms dropped to my sides as I continued to stare forward.  Jiyong then looked to where I was looking, and there was also shock on his face. 

            It was my complete horror to see the doctor everyone was praising about.  He had his arm around Yoona, and then he kissed the side of her head.  I felt my blood boiling, and my skin was starting to get hot.  With his arm still around her, the two walked away from the nurses’ station, and they made their way into the patient’s room.  I began to briskly walk towards Yoona and her lover, but Jiyong stopped me.

            “Dr. Choi,” he barked, “Keep your cool.  Remember that you’re only using her.  That was the original intent.  You don’t want to get on her bad side.  What if you pick a fight with her?  That’ll give her a reason to leave you.”

            I reluctantly swallowed and adjusted my lab coat.  I needed to be professional.  Most of all, I needed to show Yoona that I was better than that guy.  Who was he anyways?  I was a world-class surgeon.  I had flown to Europe, Asia, and South America to perform surgery on government officials, heirs and heiresses, and celebrities.  There was no way that he could have beaten me.

__________________

Yoona’s POV

            “Noona,” Minho called out.

            I turned my head to see my brother.  It was a little hard to absorb the fact that he was my brother.  When I think of him, I think of the times when he was in pre-puberty days.  His voice was squeaky, I was several inches taller than him, and he had not hit his growth spurt just yet.

            I continued to fill out a few forms in my hands because I needed to go to my new patient, Samantha White, right after. 

            “Did you see hyung here?” Minho asked.

            “Dr. Im,” I said in a professional voice, “Please remember that in the workplace, the words ‘noona’ and ‘hyung’ do not exist.  If the chief heard you, you would be doing scut work in the pit for weeks.”

            Yunho was a strong believer in keeping things professional in the workplace.  He made his younger sisters, Krystal and Jessica, call him Dr. Jung whenever they were in the hospital.  When they were out having lunch or shopping together, they could call each other by their first name.

            “Fine, Dr. Im,” Minho said with emphasis, “Did you see Dr. Horvejkul here?  Wasn’t he that guy who used to—”

            “Shut up!” I hushed him right away, “I do not want to linger on the past, Dr. Im.  Just please get back to work.  I heard you’re on Dr. Ga-in Son’s service today.  You’ll get your first experience in pediatrics.”

            I knew that my brother was not interested in pediatrics.  He wanted to be a cardiothoracic surgeon just like Seunghyun and my grandfather.  I just wanted him to keep his mind open to different specialties.  Besides, he was always changing his mind on what he wanted to specialize in once he finished his residency.

            “I just wanted you to speak to Dr. Song,” Minho finally admitted.

            The last time I heard about Victoria Song was when she freaked out in the operation room in Las Vegas.  Seunghyun told her to take the lead because of his inability to operate on the patient’s heart, and she completely freaked out.   I had to take her place, and I had to admit that I was a bit cruel.  I forced her out of the operation room because of my annoyance of her losing it like that.  She was a resident surgeon, and even my intern brother would have been calmer than her.

            “What’s wrong with her?” I asked.

            Minho informed me, “All she does is stay in the morgue.  All she does is cut open the bodies and harvest any viable organs.  She doesn’t want to deal with breathing patients.  I think you may have affected her confidence.”

            “Affected her confidence?” I scoffed, “As a surgeon, the first thing you need to know is that you should never let anyone take away your confidence.  When someone says no, you find another way.  You never give up.  If she already gave up, maybe she wasn’t cut out for this career.”

            “Dr. Im, you’re a surgeon, and you’re great at it,” Minho told me, “I just wish that you’d remember that you were a human with feelings first.”

________________________

Seunghyun’s POV

            “It’s nice to finally meet you,” Hyorin stated as Yoona walked into the patient’s room.

            Yoona forced a smile on her face and quickly shook Hyorin’s hand.  It was a battle between the two because as of now, they were the only two surgeons going through a fetal fellowship in the country.  I had to admit that Yoona had the better mentor because Dr. Peterson was absolutely brilliant.  Dr. Peterson was planning on retiring soon, and she wanted to mentor Yoona because of the potential that she saw in her.

            “Likewise,” Yoona nodded.

            “Okay, let’s get started,” Nichkhun clapped his hands together and looked at the patient.

            He began to talk about the patient’s basic information and her condition.  All I could do was glare at him.  What was so special about him anyways?  I was more handsome than him.  I was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter