Secrets

My Husband's Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoona’s POV

            I didn’t know why, but I felt like I was being left in the dark.  I should be happy because I was expecting a child in less than two months, but I was afraid.  My grandfather was dying, and there wasn’t anything I could do about it.  My family was smothering me because I was pregnant, and my husband’s family still hated my guts.  To top all of that, my friends and husband were all acting odd around me.

            Seunghyun had a secret that he wasn’t telling me.  I had asked him about it, but he claimed that he was only acting odd because they doubled his workload in the hospital.  I knew how it felt to be stressed because of work, so I shunned away the thought that something was wrong. 

            I heard the rain hitting against the windowpane as I brought my feet up onto the sofa.  Every single day was boring.  I had converted into that boring housewife that I dreaded to become.  Most of my friends were surgeons, so they were too busy for regular visits to keep me company.  I would clean for a little, cook a meal, and then I would just wait for my husband to return home.  I hated every single second of it, but I had to learn to stop being selfish.  I had a baby on the way, and I had to put my child before myself.

            If only things were different, I would be happier.  If I had established myself as a surgeon first, I would have gladly decided to have a child, but my birth control failed me miserably.  I wanted to be the head of pediatric surgery before I had a child.  I wanted the glory of knowing that I was changing and saving lives.  I wanted to be known for my skills and intelligence but instead I was at home waiting for my husband.

            My cellphone rang abruptly, and I quickly picked it up.  I raised an eyebrow to read that it was coming from the hospital.  I pressed it against my ear as I waited.

            “Hello?” I asked.

            “Yoona ah,” the voice breathed, “It’s Dr. Ok—It’s Taecyeon.  Can I speak to you later?”

            “Are you handling one of my cases from before I went on maternity leave?” I asked with curiosity.

            I have had many surgeons, including my own husband, call me for answers about my past patients who I can no longer care for because of my pregnancy.  There was a sense of uneasiness in Taecyeon’s voice that concerned me.  It was as if he wanted to tell me something important.

            “You can come over when you’re free,” I told him, “It’s not like I can go anywhere.”

____________________

Taecyeon’s POV

            I had removed a soiled scrub top from my body; I had taken over one of Yoona’s neuro patients.  He was a 15-year-old boy, and he was vomiting profusely.  Pediatrics was never really one of my favorites, but as a team, we had to fill in the hole that Yoona made when she left to go on maternity leave.  I never thought she was that important to the hospital until she left.

            “How could you tell Jessica?” I heard a voice.

            That voice was very familiar; it was the deep, timbre voice of my younger relative.  I quickly hid behind a row of lockers as I heard two pairs of footsteps make their ways into a locker and then stop.  I heard Seunghyun open his locker and change his pair of scrubs.

            “I messed up, okay?” Jiyong sighed, “Once it slipped, I could not lie to Jessica.  She can see right through me.”

            Seunghyun sounded angry, “What if she tells Yoona about the antibiotics?  She’s going to find out why her birth control failed.”

            At that moment, I knew what Seunghyun was hiding.  Yoona didn’t know that he had messed with her medications to impregnate her.  Every doctor knew that mixing antibiotics with birth control pills would decrease the birth control pills’ effectiveness significantly. 

            I was in utter shock to hear that Seunghyun had done that to Yoona.  Yoona had so much potential, and every surgeon knew that a child was a distraction from research and work. 

            “Damn it,” Jiyong cursed, “My patient in room 1209 is coding.  I’ll speak to you later, Seunghyun.”

            Jiyong then ran out of the locker room leaving Seunghyun all alone with me.  I stepped out of the shadows, and Seunghyun looked at me with absolute shock.  He looked furious that I was there.

            “How can you do this to your own wife?” I asked in disappointment.

            “What are you talking about?  She wants a family of her own,” he scoffed at me.

            I argued, “She didn’t want it now.  You know that; everyone knows that, Seunghyun ah!  You didn’t let her follow her dreams!  The only reason she hasn’t told you that she hates being pregnant is because she would feel guilty to resent her own child!”

            “You are not part of this relationship, so keep out of it,” Seunghyun glared at me.

            He then shoved me to the side and tried to walk away from me, but I blocked him from leaving the room.  I was so angry that I could feel the blood boiling under my own skin.  I was angry with him for doing that to her.

            “You knew, Choi Seunghyun,” I cried out, “You knew that I liked her since she was an intern.”

            He froze in his position as he looked at me with disbelief.  He knew that I had been in love with her since she was an intern.  She had this sparkle in her eyes that made me head over heels.  I wanted her, but I stopped myself because I wanted her to mature a little more.  I loved her before I found out her grandfather was the great Joomin Im. 

            I never told anyone that I loved her, but I knew that Seunghyun knew.  I knew part of the reason why he married her was to get back at me.

            “Deep down inside you know that part of the reason why you love her so much is because you love how it makes me crazy.  You know that I hate the fact that the woman I fell in love with fell for my stupid, selfish cousin,” I spat, “You make think that I’m inferior to you, but I’m not.”

            “Oh please,” he mocked, “If you really did love her, you would have stopped me from having her.  You are not in love with her.  You’re a coward.  You know that she’d be happier with me than you, and that’s why you let her be with me.  You think you’re so much better than me, but that’s not true.”

            Tears began to spill out of my eyes as I grabbed Seunghyun by his scrub top.  He stared at me with a poker face.

            “I am not inferior to you.  Just because I am an illegitimate child doesn’t mean that you’re better!” I choked, “I survived more than you.  I am stronger!  I watched father love you while he looked at me with hate.  I watched him deny his relations to my own mother in front of the press while he’d hold your mother’s hand in front of the cameras.  I watched him tell the press that I was his nephew when the elders of the Choi family knew that I am the eldest son!”

            My pain was inflicted onto my half brother as he stared in bewilderment.  He didn’t know what to do as he continued to stare at me.

            What I just said was the family secret.  I could tell by the look on his face that he had no prior knowledge to it all.  He thought I was his cousin from our aunt, but it was all a cover up.  My father used to be the president of South Korea, and he had an affair with my mother when he was a senator.  My surname was Choi until I was sixteen years old.  I was introduced to the family as Ok Taecyeon when my mother died.  The elders told the members of my generation that I was our aunt’s son, and they blindly believed it. 

            “Tell her, or I will,” I glared as I left the locker room.

___________________

Yoona’s POV

            “I don’t under

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter