What If?

My Husband's Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seunghyun’s POV

            I was trying to wake up, but my body wasn’t allowing me.  I didn’t even remember what happened last when I was still conscious.  It felt like I was just floating in space.  I didn’t necessarily like this.  This was when I was alone with my thoughts.

            I always thought about how my life would be if I made different choices.  If I didn’t hold all these secrets, how could my life be any more different?  Would it be better?  Would it be any different?

            I was not going to lie or deny it.  When I found out that my own sister and Bom had tricked me that Yoona had tried to submit our daughter to an orphanage in the midst of the breaking point of our marriage, I tried to imagine a world where Yoona and I never got divorced.  I tried to imagine a world where Violet grew up with her mother by her side. 

            I never wanted to give up on our marriage, and the only reason why I signed those divorce papers was because I thought she had given up on our child.  That was my limit, but when I found out that she had no involvement in trying to give Violet away, I immediately wanted her back.

            Sometimes, I would stare at the ceiling right when I was about to fall asleep and wonder how our world would have been if we were a complete family.  I wondered how our lives would have been if my sister had not meddled and we had never gotten divorced.  What if we never had gotten divorced?  What if all of the problems that I knew of suddenly disappeared?  What if there were no secrets?

~~~~~~

            “Yoona, I’m sorry,” Seunghyun apologized.

            Yoona looked at her husband as she held the newborn baby in her arms.  Tears were streaming down her face—mostly because of her argument with her husband and the passing of her grandfather.  She was still in Seoul, and she was partly surprised that Seunghyun had followed her to Seoul when she made it clear that she didn’t want to see him anytime soon.

            She remained silent as her eyes moved to the newborn baby in her arms.  The baby was so tiny, but Yoona loved her unconditionally already.  She had never imagined that she would have a child this early in her life.

            “I’ll do whatever you want,” he offered, “I’ll step down as the head of cardiothoracic surgery so that you could work more.  I’ll take care of our baby at home so you could work on your career.  I’ll do anything, Yoona.”

            Tears continued to fill Yoona’s eyes, and a small smile finally appeared on her face.  Her finger caressed their daughter’s cheek as the newborn began to make a nuzzling sound.

            Yoona breathed out, “I cannot believe that I’m saying this to you, but you were right.  I always acted like I didn’t want a child, but when I first laid eyes on our angel, I fell in love with her.  She’s perfect, and I don’t know how I had lived my life without her.  I just want all of us to be happy.”

            Seunghyun looked at his wife with relief.  He took her spare hand and kissed the back of her hand over and over again.  He then reached over to their newborn daughter and kissed her forehead. 

~~~~~~~~

            Seunghyun was cheering loudly as Yoona leaned against the archway that linked her kitchen to the living room.  She had a cup of black tea in her hands as she looked at the sight in front of her.  Violet was only ten months old, and she was already starting to walk.  Seunghyun threw his fists in the air as an excited Violet began to waddle to her father.  Motherhood was treating Yoona right.

            She found a way to balance her work and her personal life; she hardly got any sleep, but she knew that once Violet grew older, she would be able to get some more sleep.  

            “Babe, are you watching?  She’s walking!” Seunghyun informed Yoona excitedly.

            Yoona smiled back at her husband and daughter and made her way towards them.  She put her cup of tea down on the coffee table and kneeled down to kiss her daughter’s cheek. 

            “Vi, you were walking since yesterday,” Yoona told her daughter, “I can’t believe you just showed your father now.”

            The smile on Seunghyun’s face slowly faded once he realized that he had missed out on a milestone in Violet’s life.  He was at work, and Yoona stayed at home to care for their daughter the previous day.  He was disheartened to hear that he wasn’t there for Violet’s first few steps.

            “Don’t worry,” Yoona put her hand on her husband’s shoulder, “I recorded it for you.”

            “Ah, but it’s not the same,” Seunghyun frowned.

            Yoona glared playfully, “You were there during her first words.  It’s only fair that I was there to see her first steps.”

            “I’m just very disappointed,” Seunghyun admitted, “I only get to see my child’s first steps once.”

            Yoona pressed her lips together and a smile appeared on her face.  Seunghyun was studying her closely to see that mischievous grin on her face. 

            “Maybe we should have another one then,” Yoona nonchalantly suggested.

            Seunghyun’s jaw dropped to see that Yoona was actually serious about the whole thing.  Yoona began to giggle as she watched the look of disbelief on her husband’s face.

            “If you don’t want to have another baby, then we could put it off,” Yoona told him.

            Seunghyun quickly shook his head and began to smile like a fool.  Yoona had drastically changed over the small amount of time since she became a mother.  In the beginning, she was so reluctant to have children.  She wanted to focus on her career, but now, she wanted more children. 

            “No,” Seunghyun looked at his wife with a grin, “I’ll do anything you want.”

_________________________

            “Okay, tonight is the night,” Yoona assured her husband.

            They were both yawning because they were both called in to the hospital because of a massive crash on the highway.  It had been three months since Yoona had suggested having another baby, and they had missed her ovulation time period twice.   

            Seunghyun had just finished an 18-hour shift at the hospital, and Yoona had just finished a 12-hour shift.  Yoona had to get Violet from her daycare, and Violet had a small fever.  Violet’s cries and complains had tired Yoona out, and she was just glad that she was able to get her daughter to sleep without another cry.

            Yoona lied on her back as she slowly exhaled.  Her husband did the same thing as he stared at his wife.  They both didn’t want to admit it, but they were both tired.  They just wanted to rest, but they had been excited for another baby for the past few months.  What was supposed to be the fun part of making a baby was now seen as a tiring event.

            Seunghyun hovered over his wife and began to kiss her lips.  Yoona knew from the first touch that he was passionate, but he was exhausted.  Yoona’s fingers grazed the back of his neck but before they knew it, the two fell in silence.  Yoona felt her eyelids getting heavier, and the last thing she heard was Seunghyun’s soft snores.

            The two doctors were so tired that Seunghyun had collapsed over Yoona’s body and fell asleep.  The only reason why Yoona didn’t get mad was because she had fallen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter