Paradise

My Husband's Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            “You look very handsome,” Yoona smiled, “You’ll steal the show.”

            Seunghyun was looking at himself in front of the mirror to their hotel room as he took a deep breath.  He was going through this for the third time, and he hated that he was still nervous.  He was being nominated against prominent, dedicated cardiothoracic surgeons, and no one had ever held the title in his category for more than two years.  If he won this one, he would set a new record.

            He did look handsome; he was wearing a classic black tux with a dark bow tie.  His hair was gelled, and he was sure to steal the attention of the ladies that night.  He looked at the view behind him through the mirror before him.  He saw an angel.  Yoona was wearing a beautiful cream dress with a pair of strappy heels.  The expensive dress reached to the floor and hugged her curves.  It bared her back, and it looked absolutely stunning on her.

            “Their eyes are not going to be on me,” he chuckled, “Everyone’s going to be looking at you.  I have to admit that I’m somewhat jealous.”

            Yoona laughed, “You jealous?  Oh, please!  I’m not even that pretty.”

            He looked at her as she continued to laugh.  He had every right to be jealous.  He had married a beautiful, ambitious, successful, and wonderful woman.  Who wouldn’t want her?  He didn’t know what he had done to deserve a woman like her.  He knew it was just luck that he met and got married to a woman like her, but what he believed was a curse in the beginning became a blessing.  He loved his life because she was in it.  He didn’t know how he lived before she came into his life.

            “You’re not only pretty. Pretty is an understatement, my darling,” Seunghyun declared, “You are beautiful, stunning, and amazing.”

            She raised an eyebrow, “Really?”
            “Yes, you’re my sun.  My whole world revolves around you,” he smiled.

            Yoona wrapped her arms around his shoulders and smiled at him.  She tiptoed and brought her lips to his.  He put his hands on her waist as he enjoyed the loving kiss between the married couple.

            Yoona broke off the sweet kiss and smiled at him brightly. 

            “You always know what to say, huh?” she teased.

            “I guess it’s just natural for me,” Seunghyun joked.

________________________

            Yoona was sitting on a round table with Seunghyun, Jiyong, Jessica, Daesung, and Young Bae.  Daesung and Young Bae didn’t bring dates so they sat beside each other.  Jessica was wearing a dark blue halter dress with a pair of black heels, and the other men were wearing tuxedos similar to Seunghyun’s.

            They had just finished their exquisite dinner, and they were enjoying their dessert while the awards were being announced.  Everyone had a glass of champagne before them, but the group kept their champagne untouched.  They were too excited about the awards.

            Yoona pushed back her tiramisu with her fork as she waited for the awards.  They had already announced Daesung, Jiyong, and Young Bae as the winners of their categories, and Seunghyun’s category was up.

            “Hello, ladies and gentlemen,” Joomin greeted.

He stood at the stage with an envelope in his hands.  Everyone applauded because everyone knew who he was.  He had created the standards in cardiothoracic surgery, and he was greatly appreciated by every surgeon in the building.

“This year’s Berit awards are very special to my heart.  It’s the first time in over ten years that I get to attend the awards, and I am happy to see so many familiar faces.  I also see new faces, and I know that these new faces will create an impact to the world,” Joomin stated, “I had won the Berit award in cardiothoracic surgery several times, and it excites me to see surgeons who have the same confidence, ambition, and drive I had when I published my findings and created new methods.  Thus, it’s time to announce the winner of this year’s Berit award for cardiothoracic surgery.”

            Everyone began to applaud as the pictures of the nominated surgeons appeared on the large screen behind Joomin.

            “This year’s nominees are Dr. John Garret from the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, Dr. Nichkhun Horvejkul from the Metropolitan Hospital in New York, and Dr. Seunghyun Choi from the Los Angeles Medical Center in California.  Each surgeon had their work published throughout the year on their achievements and discoveries,” Joomin began to open the envelope, “The winner of this year’s Berit award for cardiothoracic surgery is…Dr. Seunghyun Choi from the Los Angeles Medical Center in California.  Congratulations, Dr. Choi.”
            The crowd burst into applause as Seunghyun reached over to Yoona for a kiss before he stood up to accept his award.  Seunghyun waved to the crowd as he stood up on the stage to accept his award.  Seunghyun shook Joomin’s hand, and then Joomin have him a warm hug.  The crowd quieted down as he stood in front of the microphone stand.  He was now holding the clear glass trophy that had his name engraved on it.

            “Thank you everyone,” Seunghyun smiled, “It’s a great honor to be here tonight.  First of all, I would like to thank Dr. Joomin Im.  He was the person who taught me how to help others more effectively.  He’s the best teacher anyone could ever ask for.  I would also like to thank my staff that helped me during my lab trials.  Most of all, I would like to thank the love of my life.  Dr. Yoona Im is the reason I want to become a person who wants to make a better world.  Thank you so much for your time.”

______________

            “That tiramisu was horrible,” Yoona complained.

            She continued to vomit into the porcelain toilet in front of her.  She was on her knees as she pushed her hair back so her hair would not touch her vomit.  Her eyes were watering as she coughed it all out.

            Even Jiyong and Daesung got sick because they chose the tiramisu.  Seunghyun, Young Bae, and Jessica ate the baked Alaska for dessert, and they complained of no illnesses.

            Seunghyun kneeled down behind his wife and held her hair for her as she continued to throw up.  He looked behind him to see the two trophies side by side on the dresser through the open bathroom door.  They had both won.  Yoona had won, and he had won.  It was his most triumphant moment to be able to share an award with his wife.

            “You’re still in a good mood because you won,” he gently smiled.

            She finally stopped throwing up as she stood up and rinsed out .  She leaned back on the sink and took a deep breath.  She was still so young, and she had received her first Berit award.

            “It feels great,” Yoona admitted, “Even though I’m sick because of the tiramisu, I’m not letting anything bring me down.”

            Seunghyun was about to say something, and it was important.  He wanted to discuss their future, but unfortunately, they heard someone knock on the door.  Seunghyun sighed in defeat as Yoona signaled for him to answer the door so that she could brush her teeth.

            He answered the door and sighed in defeat to see the whole group in front of him.  Daesung, Seungri, Jiyong, and Jessica were in front of them with various bottles of liquor and wines.  

~~~~~~~~~

            “Nope, no wine or liquor for you,” Seunghyun took the glass from her.

            Yoona pouted to see her husband take the glass of red wine and press it against his own lips.  They were all in Seunghyun and Yoona’s suite to celebrate their wins.  They had ordered room service, and the surgeons were finally having a night of fun.

            “Oh come on,” Daesung frowned, “Let the breakthrough surgeon have a drink.”

            Seunghyun reasoned, “She can’t handle her alcohol well.  Besides, she is scheduled to perform a bowel resection tomorrow when we get back to Los Angeles.”

            The men had noticed that Seunghyun had become more cautious.  He finally had something to lose, and he was taking good care of Yoona.  It was a virtuous change to see.

            Jessica asked, “Are you two gay?”

            Young Bae and Daesung choked on their liquor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter