First Day

My Husband's Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yoona’s POV

                  I was so ready.

                  It was my first day into my pediatric and fetal fellowship, and I was more than prepared.  I looked around the hospital with many eyes on me.  It had been like this for so long that I had already gotten used to it.  I was the youngest fellow on the surgical floor.  I was about to start my fellowship and I was finally going to trade my light blue scrubs in for dark blue scrubs. 

                  You see there is a hierarchy in the world of surgery.  The top dog is the chief of surgery, which is Dr. Yunho Jung.  He’s the man in charge and he could easily make or break your career.  Luckily, he’s an honest and fair man.  He was the reason why Los Angeles Medical Center was the best on the west coast.

                  Underneath the chief of surgery are the heads of surgery.  They are the top surgeons in their specialty.  There is a head of cardiothoracic, general, pediatric, orthopedic, and neuro—just to name a few.  They are attending surgeons who are more than qualified to lead a section of the surgical ward.  Attendings are surgeons that are allowed to practice medicine on their own without supervision.  After you’re an attending, you’re pretty much trusted by the chief.

                  Below that are fellows.  Like I said earlier, I am a fellow.  Before I started my fellowship, I had to decide what I was going to specialize in.  I had already decided on pediatrics and fetal surgery ever since my residency.  Within a year, I was planning to finish my fellowship and enter as an attending.

                  Residents and surgical interns are the ones that wear the light blue scrubs.  They’re the newer ones in the field and most of the time residents are in charge of the interns.  Of course, residents have more power than interns.  Interns don’t really get to do anything.  In fact, they’re the most hated ones because they’re so stupid and foolish, but I guess everyone has go through that stage to become something great.

                  So why was everyone looking at me?  They were looking at me because I held an unconventional job during medical school.  I had scholarships, but that was never enough, so I had to go into modeling to get some extra money.  I also was the only woman during my intern and residency years.  To add on, I was the youngest.  In fact, I was too young to be a fellow, but because I finished high school at 15, I got a head start.  I even took extra classes during my university years so that I could get an advantage.  I’m 28 and at my age, I would be expected to be a first year resident.

                  “What are you three looking at?” I snapped at two interns.

                  My friend sighed, “Sorry, Yoong.  I guess my interns wanted to know if the legend really existed.”

                  “I want all the interns to start with charts this morning,” my other friend demanded to the interns.

                  The first one to speak was Jessica Jung.  She was the younger sister of the chief of surgery.  She was intelligent, so she got into the program on her own.  She had been my friend since we were children.  We used to be neighbors when we lived in New York.  Seohyun was my other friend.  She looked a lot like me and other doctors and nurses would always confuse us together.  I was the same age as them, but they were still residents.  According to the rules, I was at a higher position than them so they had to follow my orders.  I never used it against them though.

                  Jessica had long, blonde hair.  She was always frequently dying her roots because her hair grew fast.  She was always complimented on her hair and all the patients thought it looked lovely on her.  She was driven, dedicated, and cutthroat.  She wasn’t afraid to be blunt when it came to surgery.  She always told me that it’s better to be blunt than have someone die under her watch.

                  Seohyun was kind of the opposite of Jessica.  She had darker hair, and she never really accepted the compliments she had received.  She’s humble, kind, and sometimes a pushover.  Jessica had been nagging at her for years to toughen up so that no one would take advantage of her. 

                  The three of us had been friends for years and our friendship had been unbreakable.  I tied my hair up in a ponytail in preparation for the long shift before us.  I was assigned on a 24-hour shift.

                  “Yoong,” Seohyun smiled, “I heard that there’s a new fellow on the floor.  I heard you wouldn’t be the only female in your group.”

                  My eyes lit up.  I had been stuck with so many guys during my intern and residency years.  The locker room was always filled with vile, ist jokes, and flatulence.  I was finally going to have a female on my side with me.

                  Jessica nodded, “I heard she used to be a dancer.  She was a backup dancer while she went to medical school.  I don’t get how people have time for those things during medical school.”

                  “What’s her name?” I asked.

                  Seohyun answered, “Dr. Yuri Kwon.”

~~~~~~~

Yuri’s POV

                  I was nervous as hell as I began to walk through the hallways.  Being a trauma fellow, I should be prepared for stressful situations, but I just hated being the new kid.  It was like I was going to a new school.  After completing my residency in Hawaii, I decided to go to California for better opportunities.

                  “Hi,” I heard a voice say behind me.

                  I turned around and nodded with a smile.  I was completely surrounded by men.  Weren’t there any female fellows?  I swallowed anxiously; if I were the only female, I’d have a harder time. 

                  One by one, they began to introduce themselves with flirtatious grins on their faces.

                  Dr. Donghae Lee

                  Dr. Jonghyun Kim

                  Dr. Wooyoung Jang

                  I needed to memorize their names.  I had to admit that I was very overwhelmed.  I was so new to the city, and I wasn't really good at making new friends.  To add on, these surgeons I had just met looked a lot like erts.

                  “Get away, you losers,” I heard a female voice, “She’s too pretty for you guys.”

                  Hallelujah!  Another female surgeon! She was wearing dark blue scrubs so she either had to be an attending or fellow.  She extended her hand out to me as I shook it.  She looked very familiar to me.  I swore I have seen her face before.

                  “You look familiar,” I stated.

                  Wooyoung teased, “She was a Chanel model.  If you ask me, she could be a Victoria Secret model, too.”

                  The woman smacked him in the back of his head causing Wooyoung to wince in pain.

                  “My name is Dr. Yoona Im.  I’m specializing in pediatrics and fetal surgery.  It’s a pleasure to meet you,” she smiled, “It’s great to finally have another female fellow on board.”

                  I introduced myself, “My name is Dr. Yuri Kwon.  I’m specializing in trauma.  It’s great to meet you.”

_________________

3rd POV

                  Being that it was the first day of a new rotation meant new interns, residents, and fellows.  The chief of surgery dug his hands into his pockets and fished out a small remote that controlled the slideshow presentation that he had prepared for the entire surgical staff.  All of the interns, attendings, residents, fellows, and nurses were in the lecture room.  Yoona took a seat by Yuri, Jessica, and Seohyun despite the other fellows’ attempts to lure in the only two female fellows in the hospital.

                  “Hello,” Yunho spoke into the microphone, “I’m sure that everyone already knows this because I determine whether you get a paycheck or not, but my name is Dr. Yunho Jung.”

                  Everyone clapped on cue for the chief of surgery.  He cleared his throat and began the slideshow presentation.  The first slide was a picture of the hospital.

                  “Los Angeles Medical Hospital has been standing for over 75 years.  For five of those years, I have been the proud chief of surgery.  Being ranked the best hospital on the west coast for our fourth year in a row, we’ve proven to be more than capable of withholding success,” Yunho announced, “Our trauma unit has been a level 1 trauma unit for five years, and I would like to congratulate the trauma team.”

                  The next slide showed the picture of the head of trauma:  Dr. Young Bae Dong.  His nickname was Taeyang, and he was usually called that because it was much easier to remember for the patients.  He had a beautiful smile that reflected his pure heart.

                  “Our cardiothoracic, neuro, orthopedic, general, and plastic surgery units have been ranked number 1 in the country,” Yunho revealed, “I just received reports two days ago, and we are going to be on the front page of the monthly medical journal, Bulletin of the World Health Organization.”

                  Everyone began to applaud as he began to introduce all of the heads of surgery.

                  “Dr. Seunghyun Choi will continue to be the head of cardiothoracic surgery.  Dr. Taecyeon Ok will lead the neuro wing once again.  Dr. Young Bae Dong and Dr. Jiyong Kwon will be the leaders of trauma and orthopedics.  This is going to be Dr. Daesung Kang’s second year as the head of plastic surgery.  Dr. Bora Yoon will also retain her title as head of general surgery.  Dr. Ga-in Son will be the head of pediatrics again,” Yunho revealed, “Now, I know it’s a bit odd that I requested for a conference out of the blue.  I would like to reveal that we have a special guest in the hospital.  I would like to welcome the most revolutionary and inspiring surgeon who I had ever met, Dr. Joomin Im.”

                  An old man walked up to the podium as everyone got to their feet.  Joomin Im was the most respectable cardiothoracic surgery in the industry.  He had improved and created different procedures and techniques that he himself had lost count on his achievements. 

                  “It’s so nice to see such young faces,” he smiled, “I just got back from Africa a week ago.  It’s hard to believe that I was gone for five whole years.  You know what the hardest thing about it was?  I missed out on my family just like how I missed out in the past.  When my only granddaughter was young, something misfortunate happened to her, and I couldn’t help her because I didn’t know she was in trouble.  I was in Ecuador doing surgeries for free as charity.  It wasn’t until she was 14 that I discovered what had happened to her.  My granddaughter was strong and she handled everything so well.  When I returned from Africa a week ago, I discovered that my granddaughter was now working in this hospital.  My grandson, who is her younger brother, is also working here as an intern.  Once again, I had missed out.”

           

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter