No Qualms For

Headless Love (Discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"To make a constructive-" as soon as the clock hits twelve in the afternoon, the bell rings and the classes were automatically cut. Finally, it's lunch time. The most favorite period of most students in Sungnam High School. The clean and quiet grounds and surroundings became instantly crowded or scattered with familiar people. Irene took a deep breath and looked at Baekhyun's direction as she calls her name loud and clear.

"Joy!" the recent tardy person suddenly became energetic. She quickly stood up from her chair and ran towards Baekhyun. After keeping his things under the table, Jongdae also stood up and went towards. Extending their hands and smiles at her, an invitation to eat a filling meal was said. Without a grain of hesitation, Baekhyun nodded her head and stood up too. Discussing what they should be having for today occurred as they pass by the stairs and the narrow hallway. It was still pretty warm inside the school building despite of every spot being air-conditioned. 

Arriving at the wide cafeteria, what they found was already expected. A sea of hungry students that are trying to get what's the best on the menu today. A long line and endless chitchats too. Discouraged, Baekhyun had no idea how they are going to order a food in these situation. Irene only laughed and pushed Jongdae to be the one to stand in the waiting alley because he was the only man in their group. A little frustrated, Irene won over their useless argument and sent him in the helter skelter of starving people. It was a good memory for Baekhyun, having people around her that called friends. Those people whom are harmless and will not ignite anything that is dangerous. She kept her smile and chuckle until they sat down at the nearest table set. 

Irene's brightened expression shifted into dim and anxiety. Her hands balled into fists, she avoided Baekhyun's stare and even before she asked why she seemed to be depressed she already shook her head. She was just faking her cheerfulness in order to keep Jongdae's positive mood. She was just pretending to be steadfast, but she was really not. Worried, she wanted to know what happened to Yeri. She tried calling her, but no one was picking up. She also tried to call on their telephone, but still no one answered. She tried her best to contact Yeri or her family, but it was falling into nothing.

The corner of her eyes sparkled into tears of worrying, Irene was pleading herself so hard not to cry in front of a clueless Joy. She shouldn't be acting like this, she should've have been able to act that it was fine. She should keep the atmosphere light and nothing to stress about. Irene shrugged and shook her head again, making an excuse that being hungry makes tears come out from her eyes. But it was a stupid white lie, and Baekhyun immediately figured out that she was also worried about Yeri. Leaning towards, she hold her right hand and bit her lower lip.

"Joy-." she muttered.

"It's going to be fine, let's not assume that things are already in worst. Let us be composed and wait until tomorrow. Yeri is fine and well, she is and if not she will be." Baekhyun told Irene.

"But-. How can you tell that it's going to be fine when this is the first time she became like this. Completely cutting off communications and not even telling us why. How can you say that?" she said in a faltering and raspy voice.

"Calm down, Irene. It's nothing serious." Baekhyun walked towards her and hugged her tightly as she cries silently. 

Baekhyun was afraid to think of it, she don't want to hear anything on her mind. She don't want to agree that the people closer to her heart will perish and be harmed. She don't want to meditate about it, she should be positive and hopeful that including Chanyeol, Luhan, and Kyungsan will remain fine in Seoul City. She shook her head and exhaled, her grip around Irene grew tighter and tighter until she had stopped shedding tears and feel lighter. 

When Jongdae came and already carrying a tray of their meal, he witnessed how the color of Baekhyun's eyes glowed green and shifted into gray again. He almost dropped what he was holding because of astonishment, but Irene told him to walk faster because she was really hungry. He and Baekhyun unintentionally caught each other's stare, in seconds he already felt awkward and embarrassed by it. Thanking the heavens for the good and fresh food, they began eating and sharing a nonsense conversation about the latest model in a certain TV commercial. 

Kyungsan stood up beside the railings at the rooftop of the school building. The soft and gentle wind gushes through and it made her hair disheveled. By the moment that Baekhyun's eyes glowed green, hers too. She felt a heavy sensation on her chest and a voice tells her to go out and find that one devil that will destroy the entire Seoul City. Last night, she dreamt of Walpurgisnacht. Darkness, soon it will devour the innocent souls and hearts. Fire, they will burn everything and share no mercy on that day. She had no idea what was that for, but she can tell that something not very good is going to happen. But Kyungsan could not clearly understand it because she knew that Baekhyun will never cause troubles despite of possessing a strong power as a dullahan. It's a mystery, yet it must be just a dream and will remain as an illusion of her sub consciousness. 

The empty lunch box was lying on the floor beside, Kyungsan quietly watches her fellow students passing by in the other building. The people there seemed to be noisy and normal. She closed her eyes and remembered what the person told her about Zhang Yixing. There was a possibility that he was not the only one who is doing suspicious things, Jongin was no exception. He was also a monstrous in a skin of a human. Eversince they began living together, she haven't notice anything weird and unusual on the way he acts and speaks. She concluded that he was really confident and comfortable in front of the person he loves the most.

She picked up her phone and decided to call Baekhyun, but it's not going to be a friendly conversation. While waiting for her to answer it, she noticed that the sky is gradually turning darker and gloomy. The storm is coming, a very unexpected rain shower is going to occur for the next few hours. With a whispering voice that you can barely hear, Baekhyun tapped the green button and allowed herself to speak with the both friend and foe.

"Kyungsan, what is this?" she asked.

"Baekhyun this is going to be short and precise, so I want you to listen and not waste a word that I am going to say." Kyungsan said flatly in a slightly rounding voice.

"Ah, okay I will." 

"Walpurgis, demons and the Saika. Be careful and don't get too attached to the norms, if you still wanted them to live a peaceful life take my advice seriously. The storm is coming Baekhyun, have you noticed and prepared your shelter?"

"Walpurgis?" the tone of his voice rose a little.

"Yes, something or someone is on the move and it is going to destroy our kind. So be careful and don't let them notice that you are a dullahan. Also about the victims who had no idea why they are being attacked, better visit one of them. And one of more, if you can't take a hold on your power please don't pester me. Since I'm the one who awakened your monster side, I am affected Byun Baekhyun." 

"Huh?" 

"That's all I am going to say, I'm hanging up."

Kyungsan shoved her phone on the side pocket of her skirt and picked up her empty lunch box. She brushed her hair with fingers and left the place. Voices, they began speaking endlessly on her mind again. The council had returned and was talking about the incoming storm that will ruin the boundary between human and inhuman.

The half of a day passed and the sun was about to set. Baekhyun found herself exhausted and resting at the front of the gymnasium's door while waiting for Irene to finish changing her clothes. Wandering her eyes around to kill some time, her phone rings and when she checks it, a smile formed on her lips. It was Dr. Park and he was already waiting patiently outside for her. She stood up and bite her upper lip to stop herself from grinning bashfully. The feeling of excitement was there and the urge to hug him is getting stronger. She misses him so much that her pulse was palpitating in nervousness. 

"Thank you for the-, Joy?" Irene's forehead wrinkled into wondering where her friend went. 

Running so fast in the stairs and alleys, Baekhyun happily gazed upon the outside and saw the doctor standing near the gates. He was staring and scrolling through his smartphone. The vivid yellow orange light made his dyed hair stand out in the view. His glasses reflected in the disappearing sunlight as he turns around and anticipates to see the love of his life. He was also nervous, sweating and his knees are trembling. He doesn't know if he can still greet her properly or just simply hug her because he also misses her.

Loudly panting, Baekhyun came and flashed a wide and sweet smile at him with a wave of a hand. There were no how are yous and hellos, at the moment they had each other's eyes they quickly read what on the other's mind. She gripped on her skirt tightly and walked slowly towards him. Chanyeol opened his mouth with a bashful grin and an open arms. He called her name dearly on his heart, he stood there and allowed the feeling to take over his behavior. 

What made Baekhyun more nervous and uneasy is to see that Dr. Park was not wearing his laboratory gown. He was in his casual clothes and looked so good. The jeans made his slender and long legs stand out along with the simple and plain long sleeve shirt that every man could wear. Nothing was special and flashy on his get up, but it made her really blush in red and hesitant to walk closer. Pausing halfway, Baekhyun avoided his dearly stare because she found it inappropriate for her. How come she can go to a date when she looks haggard and tired. And she didn't even washed her face and combed her hair, she was ashamed on her current look. 

Baekhyun pouted and turned away from him, she cancelled the urge to see him and decided to reject his invitation. Dr. Park's anticipation shifted into wondering why she stopped halfway. His heart beat faster than before as she took a step away from him. His smiling eyes became filled with worrying and seeping frustration. His lips cracked and he became speechless, did she just suddenly made a change of mind? In panic, he did not restrain himself from following her. So he went towards and carefully tapped her shoulder, she shook her head repeatedly and closed to prevent herself from speaking. 

"Why?" the only word that came on Chanyeol's mind. He panicked and pulled her closer on his torso, Baekhyun was about to push him away but her heart was quickly tamed with his touch. Irene almost screamed and hit Jongdae at the face when they found the two hugging there. She laughed aloud and made a joke about their friend being a naughty and liked to be teased, but Jongdae fell into frowning because of jealousy and heartbreak. He did not even managed to put a fake smile on his face, the throbbing sensat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter