Coming Out & Other Birthday Surprises

Romantic Reflections

D-Day. Saturday afternoon. 

At least that was what Jonghyun was calling it. D-Day, the day he would come out to his parents. He was now 3 weeks into college, his grades were good, he had Kibum. Everything was okay, but now he had to tell his parents about his boyfriend. He couldn’t keep holding it off, he had to tell them eventually. “You sure about this?” Minho--who had come for support--asks. Jonghyun nods. “Yes. I have to tell them. I can’t keep Kibum hidden like some dirty magazine.” Minho cracks a smile, pushing him forward. “They’re going to know something’s up since you brought them to such a fancy restaurant.”

“That’s the point.” He opens the glass doors, looking around for his parents. They were seated in the back, menus placed elegantly in their hands. “Maybe I shouldn’t be here…” Minho mutters. Jonghyun clutches his wrist tightly. “I need you here.” hIs eyes were pleading, shaking almost. “Why didn’t you bring Kibum?” Jonghyun releases his hand. “I didn’t want to risk them hurting him. My dad’s pretty cold…he’s the one I’m most worried about.” He sighs, clearing his throat and striding ahead. 

“Umma, abeoji.” He greets them with a smile, his father rises to shakes his hand. “Jonghyun, you prepared all this?” He asks and Jonghyun nods, ushering his father to sit back down. His mother beams. “Well look at you, growing up into such a fine young man.”

“Umma..” He says her name shyly. “Good to see you Minho.”

“You too sir.” Minho bows politely, taking his seat next to Jonghyun. “Happy birthday my son.” His mother congratulates, ruffling his brown hair. After this, Jonghyun was going to dye his hair silver. Jonghyun smiles, lightly kissing his mother on her cheek. “So what must you tell us?” His father asks and Minho and Jonghyun glance at each other. “After we eat...I’ll tell you.” He smiles, ushering the waiter over. 

Jonghyun was 19 now, a year before 20, he was old enough to be independent. He didn’t have to rely on his parents. He didn’t have to always be the straight son they wanted. He tossed that out of the window when he met Kibum. “Umma, Abeoji…” He starts off slowly, placing his napkin on his still full plate. “Eat before you speak Jonghyun.” His mother says sternly. “But this is important and Umma,” He takes her hand. “I’m too nervous to eat.” He smiles softly at her and she gazes at him curiously but understandingly. “Abeoji…” He calls for his father and the much older man turns to stare at him. “What is it?” He glances at Minho and saw that the athlete was staring back at him with encouraging eyes. “You both know how I am with girls.” His mother laughs, glancing at her husband. “Yes, I do know.” Jonghyuns father clears his throat with a small smile. “But….I stopped being that way when I met Kibum. ” His grip on his mothers hand unconsciously tightens. “He made me a better person and he’s still doing that, he’s the reason I’m going to college.” His fathers expression was fixed into a blank, waiting for Jonghyun to drop the bomb. But it seemed that his mother already knew what he was about to say--she squeezes his hand reassuringly. “And he’s not just a friend….he’s my…” He clears his throat. “Kibum’s my boyfriend and we’ve already crossed that threshold.” Jonghyun was too nervous to look into his fathers eyes. “Don’t you move fast.” His mother teases, poking him in his stomach. He laughs, placing his forehead against hers. “I hope you and Abeoji are able to see and accept that….I love another man.”

“Of course, Jonghyun you don’t have to worry about a thing, okay?” She cups his cheeks, kissing his forehead. “Now for your abeoji it may take sometime.”

“Accept rather than understand.” He murmurs. “Right. Accept rather than understand.” She smiles. “But I’ll talk to him.”

“I’m right here, talk to me now.” There was a depth to his voice and Jonghyun pulls back from his mother, fully facing his father. Minho watched with tense eyes. “Do you understand what I’m saying, abeoji?” His father nods. “When did this happen?”

“Around last year when I first met Kibum.”

“I guess that explains why you were coming home so late.” Jonghyun looks away, folding his hands tightly together in his lap. “This ‘Kibum’ what’s he like?” Jonghyun looks back at his father, catching the look Minho was giving him. Try not to ramble. He smiles. “Well...Kibum…” He lets out a breath. “He’s Kibum. He’s truly spontaneous, the way he acts, the way he dresses and just who he is.” There was a sparkle in his eyes now and a calm to his voice. “He’s confident but also willing to learn new things. You can’t make him do something he doesn’t want to do. You can’t tell him to change something about himself. He’s very smart and out-going.” His mother stares at him, her expression gentle. She could see it, her son was in love. “I would love for you both to meet him, but maybe it’s too soon for that…” He trails off, that anxiousness flipping in his stomach again. “Someday, maybe not now,” His mother places a hand against his cheek. “But someday.” Jonghyun smiles at her, placing his hand over hers and closing his eyes. Minho risks a glance at Jonghyuns father and saw that he was gripping his fork tightly in his hand. Was he angry? Upset? Or was he disappointed in his son’s ual choices?

“I’m going back with Minho.” Jonghyun says, kissing his mother on both her cheeks and then facing his father. “Abeoji--”

“You’re going to go see him aren’t you?” Jonghyun’s eyes widen and slowly he nods. “Yes…”

“Mmm…” After a while his father says in a low voice. “Just get back home safely.” And with that, he whisked his wife away and they disappeared out the front doors. Jonghyun stood, frozen in place. Minho steps up to Jonghyun, placing a hand to his shoulder. “You should call Kibum.”

“I planned to.” He slides out his phone, pressing speed dial, waiting for Kibum to answer. “Hello?” Jonghyun let out a breath he didn’t know he had been holding, at the familiar and calming sound of his boyfriends voice. “Kibum,”

“Yes?”

“I need to see you.” There was a pause and then a faint fumble in the background. “Okay, I need to see you too.” He smiles and says. “I think you’re forgetting to wish me something.”

“No, I think you’re just being slightly obnoxious.” He laughs and Kibum says in a softer, sweeter voice. “Of course I didn’t forget your birthday.” Jonghyuns heart warmed. “Just get over here.” And the line clicked off. Jonghyun pulls his phone back and stares at it. “He wants you to come over?” Minho asks with a smug girin. Jonghyun nods. “Hurry up and go before he decides he doesn’t want to see you anymore.” Jonghyun grins widely at his friend. “Thanks again frog-face.”

“No problem.” They stare at each other, acknowledging their friendship. “Hey, when will you be joining college?”

“This Monday, you’ll see me out on the field kicking a ball.” Jonghyun laughs, raising his hand for a highfive. “I’ll see you soon then.”

“Yeah.” Their hands collide and they shake. 

It didn’t take long for him to reach Kibums house, he jogged up to the front door, excitedly ringing the doorbell. The sun was still up, evening would be approaching soon. Jonghyun loosens his tie, popping one button free and running a hand through his still brown hair. He wanted Kibum to be there when he got it dyed. The door swung open and Kibum stood in the walkway, a sweet smell flowing from the house. “Cooking?” Jonghyun asks, swiftly stepping up and pulling Kibum by the waist. “Yes and I’m guessing you met with your parents today.”

“How’d you know?”

“Your outfit says it all.” Kibum smirks, breaking out of his arms and closing the front door. “What did you tell them?” He asks, turning away and walking into the kitchen. “I told them about you and are your parents usually never home?” Jonghyun asks looking around the empty house. “Kind of, but I asked them to stay out late today.”

“Oh? And they listened to you?”

“Yep.” Jonghyun follows the sound of Kibums voice into the kitchen. The younger stood at the stove, his back to Jonghyun as he bent to take something from the oven. Jonghyun watched him, leaning against the counter and admiring his backside. “What did they say about me?”

“My mom wants to meet you…”

“And your dad?” Jonghyun pushes himself off of the counter, walking towards Kibum. “He’s slow…”

“Mm.” Kibum turns to face him, Jonghyun now standing inches from his face. “But he’ll come around, it just takes time.” Jonghyun places a hand to his face, his cheek and brushing their lips together. Kibum uses his free hand to cover Jonghyuns face, pushing him away. “You’ll smush the cake.” He states and Jonghyun makes a face, watching as Kibum placed the sweet smelling cake on the marble countertop. The younger was dressed in black and red, his jeans clad red on his legs and his shirt a black fabric. “You’re dressed…”

“Plain? I know.” 

“I wasn’t going to say that…” Kibum grins, slowly walking towards him. “I dressed this way for a reason.” He murmurs, his voie suddenly low. Jonghyun raises an eyebrow. “Really?”

“Yeah, if you’re going to take them off I didn’t want it to take too long.” Jonghyuns eyes widen and his heart stuttered over a beat as Kibum drew closer to him. “Cake, presents and then," His eyes were deep set and alluring as he stood in front of Jonghyun. "You’ll have me.” Kibum kisses him, dipping his tongue into Jonghyuns open mouth. He pulls back and whispers breathlessly. “Happy birthday.”

 

 

 

 

Dubu Speaking

Can you say BIRTHDAY ! What, whaaaat!

They're college boyfriends who are just as in love as they are for each other ;D 

Haha, okay, besides what's obviously going to happen in the next chap, lets talk about this one. 

Jonghyun was going to have to tell them someday (especially if he wants Kibum over without stressing over getting caught)

So he spilled the beans and now he's just waiting for the time to bring KIbum to them

AND OF COURSE I USED THE QUOTE HE SAID ON BLUE NIGHT! Jonghyun is such a wise idiot....

Thanks as always for reading, till the next birthday --I mean chapter ;) lol