A Degree Called You

Romantic Reflections

“Are you serious?!” Kibum exclaims into his phone, his eyes lighting up. “Look at you.” His voice was teasing, and in his hand he held a bouquet of roses. “Yeah, we’re all having a meet up before the day ends. You’ll be there right, Jinki?”

“Yeah, it’s been so long, Taemin says he’s coming too.”

“Ah, I’ll tell, Jonghyun.” Kibum hangs up, standing on the sidewalk and inhaling the fresh air. His eyes twinkled under the sun and his hair blew gently with the wind. 

It had been 4 years

Kibum no longer wore glasses, he replaced them with contacts, his hair was dyed a vibrant red and he was now twenty-three, knocking on the doors of twenty-four. And Jonghyun...Kibums phone rings and he answers quickly. “Where are you?!” Jonghyun chuckles on the other end. “I’m coming, my mom wanted to make sure I was dressed appropriately.”

“Yeah, well, just hurry your up. Woohyun and Minho are waiting on us.” Jonghyun curses on his end before hanging up and Kibum grins down at his feet, grumbling softly. “ idiot.”

The years passed and they had grown and with the growth they had changed….but not apart. Jonghyun was working his way towards his very own studio and had managed to get two top producers to listen to his works. “This is idol material!” They had complimented him and so ecstatic with the news, Kibum came over to Jonghyuns apartment and they celebrated with alcohol and kisses which eventually turned out into a full-bed-creaking make out session under his blankets. 

Kibum got himself a fashion internship at one of the fashion magazines in London, he’d be making his way there in a few months. And tonight they were all to meet and celebrate their degrees and accomplishments. College would finally be over and their lives were to finally begin. Kibum lifts the roses, placing them under his nose and inhaling their soft scent. These flowers were for the people he had met while in college. The ones he had grown close to. He spins on his heel, waving his hand and hailing a taxi. He hops off of the sidewalk, opening the door and slipping inside. Jonghyuns mother visited them frequently at Jonghyuns apartment, staying and making them dinner, sometimes even bringing gifts for Kibum. But Jonghyuns father was still somewhat distant. Kibum understood him, but hoped that with time he would grow use to his son’s choices and Kibums presence. “Turn here.” Kibum directs the taxi driver. Year after year Jonghyun would find himself proposing to Kibum and after a while he started proposing as a joke. “Marry me?”

“I told you already.”

“Come on, Kibum.” He whines and Kibum looks up at him from his spot on the couch. “What if I find someone else?” Jonghyun jibes and Kibum raises his eyebrow. “What if I find someone while I’m in London…?” That had managed to shut him up. “Over there.” Kibum points towards a little cafe, cars were lined up all along the sidewalk in front of it. All of my class must be here and others. Kibum thought with a warm smile. “Thank you.” He pays the driver opening the door and stepping out into the crisp air. The car speeds away, he stands outside for a moment looking around and taking in all of Seoul. In a few months he wouldn't be seeing this place. “Are you just going to stand there?” Calls a gentle voice. Kibum looks up, locking eyes with Minho. He smiles, rushing up to his friend and embracing him. “Where’s Jonghyun?” Minho asks once they’re inside. “Running late.” He mutters and Minho chuckles, staring softly down at Kibum. “I still can’t get use to you wearing contacts.”

“I use to be so against them.” 

“And your hair…” He runs his fingers through Kibums red strands. “Lovely isn’t it?” Minho laughs, saying tenderly. “It suits you.” Kibum smiles. “Thanks.” He looks around, peering at all the familiar faces, his heart surging. “I can’t believe it’s over.” He says wistfully.

“Seriously, it’s still kind of ting me.” Graduation was a few hours ago, Kibum hadn’t cried, he wasn’t one for expressing his emotions. But when he walked down those steps and into the arms of his mother, the tears swelled up and spilled over. Of course Jonghyun had found his way towards Kibum; the tears shocked him yet it also amused him. “I didn’t know you could be so emotional, Bummie.” He had teased. Kibum was still kind of at a loss as to how he could have fallen in love with such a cocky, yet kind-hearted idiot. 

A hand slaps down on his shoulder, a voice giddy next to his ear. “Ya made it!” The voice belonged to Amber, but the face was entirely different. Kibum spins around, squinting at her. She looked absolutely stunning. “Amber?”

“This is she~”

“Amber Liu?!” He reiterates and she laughs. Her hair was short, but because of her graduation gown and hat, he could’nt tell what had changed about her until now. “I saw you earlier, but I didn’t know you had changed so drastically.” Her head swings back with laughter. “Yeah, I wore a hat the entire week so you guys wouldn't notice.” Kibum stares at her curiously. “Why?”

“I’m not use to wearing skirts, but my mom put me up to this since this would be my last week in college.” Kibum nods, because he understood. Go out with a bang! “Well, you look lovely.” He compliments and she gags, “Don’t even.” Kibum chuckles. “Where’s that short boyfriend of yours?” She asks and Kibum groans. “He said that he’ll be here.”

“When? Once it’s over?” She jokes and Kibum sighs. “I’m starting to believe that.” She grins crookedly. “I’m sure he’ll show up.” She squeezes his shoulder before making her way over towards a group of girls. Luna, Krystal, Victoria and Sulli. Kibum had learned that they were all childhood friends--a tight bunch. He walks around the cafe, pulling out his phone to see if there were any messages from Jonghyun, there were none. “What is that doing…?” He mutters aloud. He slides his phone away, clutching the roses tightly, his eyes widen in realization. “Damn! I forgot to hand these out.” Pushing himself from off of the wall, he looks around in search of Minho. He finds him with ease--with him was Woohyun. He hurries towards them and smiles when their eyes meet. “You’re back?” Minho asks. “I forgot to give you this.” He slides out a single rose. “Oh?” Minho leans up, eyeing the flower before taking it. “Thank you for being such a good friend.” Kibum says and Minho looks into his eyes, flickering in his gaze was the love he still held for Kibum, but that love was now replaced by another. “Do I get one?” Woohyun asks with a grin and Kibum rolls his eyes. “Yeah, but it’s outside, to your left, keep going straight and then you should be there.”

“That’s where the cactus shop is…” Woohyun deadpans. “Really?” Kibum blinks his eyes innocently before laughing lightly and handing Woohyun a rose. “You get one…” He pauses, thinking for a moment and then adding. “My hyun~” Woohyuns eyes twinkle and he smiles softly. “Thanks, my bum~” Their gazes linger on each other, an understanding passing through them. As the years passed so did Woohyuns feelings--the older would admit that from time to time the redhead would still cause his heart to beat, but now he wasn’t as impulsive and had come to love someone else. “Hey, where’s the ?” Woohyun asks and Kibum glares. “Only I get to call him names.” He scolds, Woohyun raises his hands in surrender. “My bad, but where is he?”

“Dunno, but when I find him--” Minho nudges Kibum with his foot and then points. “I think he just arrived.” Slowly, Kibum turns around in fear of what he may see. Sure enough his boyfriend was standing there, in his hands a pair of headphones and a mic. Kibum tilts his head. “What the hell did he bring those for?” Woohyun asks. “No idea, just go with it.” Minho whispers into his ear. Kibum blinks, regaining himself and stepping briskly towards him. “Bummie!” He exclaims, practically bouncing on his toes as the younger stood in front of him. “You’re kind of late.” Kibum informs him, hands crossed over his chest. Jonghyun grins sheepishly. “I was getting these.” He raises his hands showing the headphones and mic. “Why?” Kibum asks and Jonghyun beams. “Come with me for a moment?”

“You know what, tell me later, the others have been looking for you.” Kibum says and Jonghyuns expression dims. “Fine, fine, my fault for showing up a little late.” He grumbles and Kibum nods. “Exactly.” Grabbing his wrist, he drags him over to Minho and Woohyun. “The short- decided to finally show.” Minho greets causing Jonghyun to scowl. “It’s about time you stopped calling me that.” Minho looks up towards the ceiling as though he’s actually contemplating it and then smirks. “I think not, short-.” He declares. Jonghyun moves forward, knocking him once in his chest. 

They share a laugh. A few moments later Jinki and Taemin arrive. Kibum hands them a rose and they catch up on what they had missed over the years. Jinki was becoming a lawyer so he still had a few more years before he graduated and Taemin too, had a few years to go before his graduation, but his plan was to perform all across the world. “And what are you gonna perform, huh?” Jonghyun teases, hooking an arm around Taemins neck. Taemin cuts his eyes at the older. “What do you think, hyung?”

“Hmm, maybe you’ll become a stripper.” He jokes, Taemin pulls away from him and Kibum groans. “Can’t you act your age for a moment.” Jonghyun chuckles. “My bad, Bummie.” He throws a wink towards Kibum, his hand slipping down the youngers waist to his . Kibums cheeks flushed, he raises his hand to punish Jonghyun for yet another public display of affection, but the older had already disappeared within the throng of graduates. “That …” He grumbles running a hand through his red hair. Minho looks up at Kibum fondly, asking. “When are you two gonna get married?” The question had caught Kibum off guard. “I won’t specify it...but soon…” He smiles softly, his eyes twinkling off into the future. 

Kibum managed to pass out the rest of his roses, hugging those he knew and bowing to those he didn’t and then he met eyes with Jonghyuns music professor. “Hae-sol!” He exclaims, running up and greeting the older man. A smile breaks out across his face as Kibum nears. “If it isn’t the living dream.” He greets, Kibum laughs shyly. “I’ve told you already, Jonghyuns music is his dream…” They had met a few years ago, the day after Jonghyun had sung his song. “So this is Kibum…” Hae-sol looks at the younger, staring at his eyes behind his glasses. “It’s nice to finally meet you professor.” Kibum bows and Hae-sol smiles. “Please, call me Hae-sol.” Kibum looks up and his gaze softens. “Thank you.” He says; Hae-sol looks towards Jonghyun and he could see it in his eyes. This person...Kim Kibum was his everything, no one could take such a light away from him. He chuckles knowingly down at his feet. 

“How long are you going to keep saying that?” Hae-sol asks, Kibum shrugs. “For as long as it takes until you understand.” He states, Hae-sol grins. He understood, he understood clearly. Jonghyuns dream was music, but what had helped him in reaching, clutching and growing with that dream was Kibum. “Has he told you yet?” Kibum looks towards Hae-sol confused, his eyebrows creasing. “Told me what?” He asks slowly. “Oh? He hasn’t…” Kibum shifts uncomfortably on his feet, his eyes searing into Hae-sol. “What hasn’t he told me?” 

“Kibum!” There’s a hand on his arm, it was Jonghyun, he was smiling broadly. “Can we leave early? There’s something I have to show you.” Kibum blinks the confusion growing in him. “You want to leave?” Jonghyun nods, bowing to Hae-sol and saying a brief hello before hurrying out. “What if this is the last time you see them?” Kibum says, his voice strained. Jonghyun pauses at the doorway, he drops the youngers arm. “The last time? I can call and drive out to see them. Minho lives nearby, we could go out and catch a movie--it’d be awkward ‘cause I’d be the third wheel, but, I’ll see them.”

“But, why are we leaving?”

“I told you there’s something I want you to see.” He runs his hand down Kibums arm, their palms meeting and fingers interlocking. “Why can’t you show me later?”

“Goddammit!” He pushes through the door, they stumble outside. “Stop asking questions Kibum and just trust me.” He places his hands to Kibums arms, gently shaking him. Kibum bit his lower lip, eyes glazing to the side. “I have...just one more question…” He says slowly. Jonghyun loosens his grip with a sigh. “What?” His tone had softened, impatient, but understanding. “Why did you bring a pair of headphones and a mic?” A grin spreads across Jonghyuns cheeks and he pulls Kibum towards his car. “Just follow me and all your questions will be answered!” Kibum stares at him in awe, confusion and curiosity before blinking down at the ground and smiling. All of my questions...then...can you answer the one I have? The one about how I can love you so much, so solidly for such a long time...I still feel as though I’m in highschool, that our relationship has just begun. Those fluttering feelings have yet to subside, I don’t think they will, as long as you’re by my side Jonghyun...I’m sure a butterfly will always flutter through my heart.

 

Dubu Speaking

Keep reading my dear lenses~sadly, the end is approaching! Thank you!