Chapter 7

Moving On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Once we made it back home, I carried Soojung to her bed because the kid didn’t want to wake up. Jessica had stayed up with me the whole way back home just like she had said. Yuri, on the other hand, had slept throughout the whole car ride and I could tell she still felt a bit groggy when she woke up.

 

I tucked the kid into her bed and kissed her forehead as I muttered a “sweet dreams” to the kid. I turned to Soojung's door and I was surprised to see Jessica there, “You scared me.” I saw as Jessica lifted an eyebrow, “Did I now?” I let out a small grin as I walked to her, “Yeah… A lot!” I whispered quietly and she let out a soft giggle as she rolled her eyes, “Shut up stupid.”

 

We walked out of Soojung's room and Jessica called my name. I hummed in response as I turned to see her, “Would you like to have a tea or coffee while I make dinner for us?” I smiled, “A coffee sure does sound good right about now.” Jessica smiled back, “Then a coffee it shall be.”

 

I left some stuff in Jessica’s living room and I then stood behind the counter top to witness Jessica preparing my coffee, “Would you like sugar or a creamer?” Jessica asked, “With neither. I’ll just have mine like that.” Jessica scrunched her face, “You like your coffee’s bitter?” I nodded in response, “That’s nasty. Your weird.” Jessica then handed me my warm coffee and I let out a laugh, “It’s not weird at all. There are many people who like their coffee plain with no sugar.” Jessica lifted an eyebrow at me, “The only people that I know that take their coffee like that are old people. So that make you old.” Jessica stuck her tongue out at me and I rolled my eyes at her, “I’m not old if that’s what you’re trying to say and I do know some people who prefer their coffee like this.” I saw as Jessica leaned herself on the counter, “Then you and all those people you know are weird for liking your coffee like that. Bitter coffee for bitter people.” I laughed at her response, “Yah!”

 

Jessica let out a giggle and walked to the fridge, “You know it’s true.” I shrugged in response even though she didn’t see me and took a sip from my hot coffee, “ Hey amber?” I heard Jessica’s voice and I let out a hum in response, “You remember how that one time Soojung spoke of my mother and afterwards you told me that it was okay if I didn’t want to talk about it, and that to let time decide when I did want to talk about it?” I looked up from my coffee and nodded, “Yeah I remember why?” Jessica set some of the things on the counter top and looked at me, “Well if you ever want to talk about some things that have been bothering you, just know that I’m here if you want to talk about it.” I smiled at Jessica and nodded, “Of course, I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks Jessica.” I saw as Jessica smiled back at me, “Your welcome.” I took another sip from my coffee and I heard Jessica mutter out a “shoot.” and I looked up at her, “What’s wrong?”

 

“I ran out of onions and I need some for dinner.” I took a quick gulp out of my coffee and set down my cup, “I’ll go buy some real quick while you prepare the rest okay?” I saw Jessica nod, “Okay thanks Amber.” I grabbed my stuff and walked to the door, “You're welcome.” I answered quickly before I left out the door.

 

Once I stepped into the grocery market I quickly walked to the fruits and vegetables side and grabbed a bag. I walked over to the onions and along the way I bumped into someone, “Oops, I’m sorry. I didn’t see you there.” I turned to the person and I surprised to see who it was, “Amber!” They hugged me and I let out a groan, “ It’s nice to see you too Tiff.” I let out a sarcastic remark, and she let go of me and smacked my arm, “Stop being an . I know you missed me too.” I smiled at Tiffany, “How was the business trip?” Tiffany let out a groan, “It was hectic and most importantly BORING. I still don’t even know why they wanted me there. My presence wasn’t even needed. I swear these people can be such idiots sometimes, “ I listened to Tiffany’s nagging and I smirked, “Yup you haven’t changed one bit.” Tiffany looked at me and raised an eyebrow, “And what is that supposed to mean?” I looked at her and shrugged, “I don’t know.” Tiffany scowled and punched my arm, “As if you haven’t changed one bit either. So what have you been up to?” I shrugged once more, “The usual.” Tiffany rolled her eyes at me, “Okay let me rephrase that. What are you doing here Amber? You usually don’t do grocery shopping since Yuri is the one that does it.” I let out a soft chuckle, “You know me too well.”

 

“Of course I do, know spill it.” I smirked, “I’m buying some onions. Happy?” Tiffany just glared at me in response, “Oh god, I really can’t get passed you now can I?” She didn’t say a word and just kept on looking at me with those menacing eyes. Damn, I don’t like those killer eyes, “Okay. Okay geez. I’m buying some onions for my new neighbor, who happens to be my co-worker, since she needs some because she’s making dinner for us.” That seemed to catch Tiffany off guard, “Your neighbor? And who’s us?” I shrugged, “I don’t know, us as in people.” Tiffany rolled her eyes once more, “Stop avoiding the actual meaning to my questions and answer me.” I let out a soft laugh, “My co-workers sister, Yuri, and I that’s who. And my neighbor offered herself to cook dinner for us since she felt as if she owed me.” Tiffany pouted once I finished my sentence, “No fair, I wish someone would cook my dinners every day.”

 

 

 

“What are you talking about? You have Sooyoung to cook for you don’t you?” Tiffany nodded, “I do, but she closes the restaurant late so I end up not seeing her till later at night.” I nodded in understanding what she meant, “Well if you want, I’m pretty sure you can join us for dinner.” That had seemed to brighten the eye-smiling princess, “Really?” I held a finger in front of Tiffany, “Let me check first. Okay?” I dialed Jessica’s number and pressed call.

 

After a ring or two she answered, “Are you on your way here already or do you need something?” Jessica answered, “Wow I don’t even get a “Hey Amber.” I see how it is.” Jessica let out a giggle, “Shut up stupid and tell me what you need.” I smiled, “ I was wondering if a friend of mine could join us for dinner.” I looked at Tiffany and she held two fingers up, “Actually make that two.” I raised an eyebrow at Tiffany and she mouthed Sooyoung's name, “ Sure, but that means you’ll have to buy me more ingredients since Yuri just called earlier asking me if she could invite Yoona over.” I raised an eyebrow at Jessica’s response, “Yuri invited Yoona over to dinner? Really?” I heard Jessica hum in response, “Yeah she did. I’ll text you the rest of the ingredients that I’ll need, and you hurry up and get your back home so that I can finish everything. Okay?” I bit my tongue as I tried to hold back a smile from forming, “Yes ahjumma”

 

“Yah!” was the last thing I heard before I ended the call as I laughed, “She said she’s cool with it as long as we get more ingredients for dinner since there will be a handful of us, “ Tiffany nodded and she walked with me as I got some onions, “So tell me a bit about your neighbor.” I looked up once I was done tying the bag; “Well she’s Korean American just like you.” I felt my phone vibrate, “Oh that’s cool. Where was she born?”

 

 

 

I laughed once I saw her message and I looked at Tiffany, “She was born in San Fran.” Tiffany gave me this quizzical look, “Up North?” I nodded, “Yup. I think you both were born in the same place too.” I grabbed another bag and I walked to the tomatoes, “ No way! Really?” I nodded and put some tomatoes in the bag, “I think so, but if you really want to make sure then you’ll have to ask her.” I saw Tiffany nod from the corner of my eye, “So tell me more about her.” I tied the bag and gave it to Tiffany, “Well her name is Jessica. She’s the same age as you and she has a younger sister whose name is Soojung. The kid is five years old and she’s an adorable kid. Trust me you’ll like her.”

 

I walked to the next item on the list, “She’s my co-worker, and yes she did just start. Surprisingly she’s also my neighbor and how we found out that out was when we ran into each other in this same market. From what I know she like tall tan girls, so keep your giant on a leash.” I laughed when I saw Tiffany’s expression, “She knows Sooyoung’s in a committed relationship with you so relax.” I handed Tiffany another bag, “Has she eaten at the restaurant?” Tiffany asked and I nodded, “Yeah she has. She was actually quite interested in Sooyoung at first, but it wasn’t until I told her she had you; she backed off immediately, so don’t worry about her trying to take your girl. She’s actually dating Yuri at the moment; as far as I know, I don’t think they’re in a relationship yet.” Tiffany nodded and grabbed me another bag, ”What about her personality. What does she look like?”

 

I grabbed the bag and thanked her, “Um… she’s a brunette. She has these sharp eyes that make her look like she’s angry at the world half of the time, but when she smiles…. When she smiles it’s something else. It’s almost like it brightens your day just a bit when you see that warm smile…. Other than that, she’s hot, but you didn’t hear that from me or else I won’t hear the end of it from her. Saying, ‘what did I tell you Amber? I told I was hot. I know from all those ogling eyes I see every day.’ so she can be a bit over confident sometimes.” I laughed at the memory of our little conversation in the office, “To tell you the truth. If you see her at a first glance, you’ll think she’s some hot stuck up , but once you get to actually know her you’ll get to know that she’s really warm like a warm ice.” I looked at Tiffany and she looked dumbfounded, “What? You told me to describe her and there’s your description.” I looked at the next item on the list, “Now here take this and let’s go get the next item.” Tiffany took the bag from my hand and followed me, “Amber?” I hummed in response as I looked through the isles, “Do you…” I looked back at Tiffany, “Do I what?” Tiffany shook her head, “Nevermind. I’ll ask you some other time. Let’s just get the ingredients for now.” I nodded and we got our list checked and done. Tiffany helped me put the bags in the trunk of my car, “You said that she lives right next door right?” I nodded in response, “Yeah to the left of me.” Tiffany let out one of her eye smiles at me, “Okay, great. Then I guess I’ll see you over there once I go and pick up Sooyoung. Okay?”

 

“Yeah. Sure. I’ll see you then Tiff.” Tiffany bid me a good-bye and then left to her car. I walked to the door of my car and got in. I then checked my phone and I saw I received another message from Jessica, so I replied.

 

 

 

I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter