Chapter 20

Moving On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

A cup of coffee was placed on my desk and I looked up. Jessica stood in front of me holding another mug in her hand, “Amber… are you okay?” I looked at her for an extra minute before I replied, “Yeah. I just didn’t get enough sleep. Thanks.” I drank from the mug and I let the bitter taste settle onto my tongue. When I put the mug down, Jessica was still standing before me. I let out a sigh and smiled, “I'm fine, Jessica, really.” She ignored me and leaned in a bit closer to me. Her cool palm made contact with my face and I felt her thumb trace under my eye. “…You have dark circles and your bags are noticible.”

 

My eyes made contact with hers.

 

She's worried.

 

“Is… is it Ailee?” I leaned back out of her reach and looked down. My heart stopped and my body shook, “ We need to get back to work.” I heard Jessica let out a soft sigh and she walked back to her desk. Minutes later, Henry joined us with the others.

 

I stood up and Jessica followed.

 

We headed to the computer room I managed to reserve for us. For the next few hours, all of us got busy on animating. As I worked, I noticed Jessica glancing at me every once in a while.

 

I know she’s worried about me. I honestly feel so damn tired. I just want to lie down in bed all day. I don’t want to be here, and I don’t want to see anyone. I just want to sleep, but sleep at the moment means more nightmares… more memories.

 

A sigh escaped my lips as I leaned back onto my chair.

 

This is tiring and we just started. I massaged my temples and closed my eyes because of the headache that was forming. Something was placed on my desk, and I opened my eyes. A small bottle of pain meds were on the desk and I looked at Jessica. She was working on the computer. The bottle had a post-it note on it and only one person has been using them to communicate with me lately, Jessica.

 

It’s obvious when you’re lying to me. I don’t like it, but I won’t pressure you... Take the pain meds for that headache of yours. You’re making me worry about you, a lot…. And if you’re not feeling well, then just go home. I’ll take care of the rest for you, so don’t worry about it, and rest stupid.

 

-Love Jessica<3

 

I smiled and took some meds. From the corner of my eye, Jessica was slightly looking. She was totally trying hard not to look, and I could only inwardly laugh as I got up from the desk. Jessica focused her attention to the computer, and I placed the meds onto her desk. “Thanks. I appreciate it.” She looked at me and shyly smiled.

 

It wasn’t until we went out on our lunch break that my stupid headache came back. “Am?” I looked up at the familiar voice, and Sooyoung stood in front of me, “You okay? You look like you haven’t had much sleep.” Is it really that noticeable? “Yeah I’m fine. It’s just a headache.” Jessica’s eyes were on me again, “Do you want some meds? I have some in the back.” I shook my head, “Na, I’m good. It’ll pass.” Sooyoung patted my shoulder and left to attend other matters.

 

When we got back, someone caught my wrist before I could join the others. I looked back and it was Jessica. Before I could say anything, she placed her palm on my forehead, “You’re warm.” I let out a sigh, “Don’t worr-“

 

“I am worried. If you keep this up, you’ll collapse from exhaustion. Go home stupid. You need rest. I’ll take care of everything else.”

 

“Jess-“

 

She placed a finger on my lips. “Go home. I’m not taking no as an answer. I’m worried about your health Amber and I don’t need a living zombie in that room.” A small smile formed on my lips and I put my hands up to show her that I surrendered. “Fine. I’m leaving. I know when I’m not wanted.” I was about to walk away, but a pair of arms circled around my waist and I felt Jessica’s body pressed onto my back, “Don’t make it sound like I don’t want you here stupid. I do, but your health comes first before work. Please understand.” I bit my lip to stop myself from smiling. She’s been so considerate lately.

 

I nodded and she let go of me. Jessica watched me as I grabbed my stuff and left. I got into my car and left home. I really do need some rest. I’m starting to feel light headed, and this stupid headache isn’t helping at all. When I arrived at my apartment, the first thing I did was take some meds. I stripped out of my clothes and dressed into some sleepwear. My body made contact with the bed and I slowly fell asleep.

 

*Dream*

 

I was standing in that white room again, and nothing could be seen for miles.

 

Great. I guess I’ll just lie down here and wait. I know something’s bound to happen soon.

 

I closed my eyes and I let the peacefulness settle. It wasn’t until seconds later that I felt a light breeze.

 

There’s wind blowing?

 

I opened my eyes, and someone I haven’t seen for quite a very long time greeted me. “Long time no see Amber.” She was literally hovering above me and I would have screamed and stood up, but I felt something holding me down. “What do you want? I don’t want to see you right now.” She pouted, “Ouch. That hurt.” I rolled my eyes and she pulled me up onto my two feet. I crossed my arms and glared at her, “What do you want Ember?” she smiled, “I never said I wanted anything.”

 

Geez this girl frustrates me. I’m not in the mood.

 

“Yes, you do. Now tell me before I decide to wake up.” She let out a snort and put her hands behind her head, “I’d like to see you try.”

 

Damn her, she knows very well I have no control over these stupid things.

 

I rolled my eyes once more, “I’m out of here.” I walked away and she appeared in front of me, “Whoa. Whoa. Okay I’ll tell you…” I stopped walking and scowled, “…someone’s looking for you.”

 

Who the hell would be looking for me in this place?

 

“Amber.” My heart stopped when I recognized the voice. I turned around and there she stood, “Ailee?” Ailee smiled and slowly started to walk towards me. I found my feet walking on their own, and I slowly sped up my pace, as I got closer, “Ailee!” I hugged her and she threw her arms around my neck as I picked her up and spun around. Ailee let out giggles and squeals, and I laughed along with her.

 

“I… I-how is this possible?” I asked her once I put her down and she cupped my face with a very bright smile still visible on her face. “Anything’s possible llama.” I smiled and she kissed me. I felt butterflies in the pit of my stomach like when we had our first kiss on our first date. Her lips left mine and I looked into her warm brown orbs. “I-I-“ Ailee placed her index finger on my lips, “Shhh....”

 

Ailee played with my hair like she used to when I would rest my head on her lap. I closed my eyes and I enjoyed the moment. God I miss her so much. It just feels good having her like this in my arms once more.

 

“Amber.” I opened my eyes and I met hers, “I missed you.” I smiled, “Me too.” Ailee traced her thumb against my lips as she looked at them, “Jessica.” I felt my heart stop for a second, “I think it’s funny how you’re with her.”

 

What?

 

“It’s funny how you say you love her, and yet you’re here with me.”

 

Wha… what is she trying to say?

 

Ailee looked at me and my body froze. Her eyes were a shade of black. “You’re supposed to love me.”

 

“Ailee you know I-“ Ailee pressed her thumb on my lips hard, “I’m supposed to be with you, not her. I’m supposed to be the one who is loved by you, not her! I love you, not her!!!” Her voice escalated at the ending of every sentence and I took a step back.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter