Chapter 2

Moving On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I stepped into the market and grabbed a cart. It had been quite a while since I had last gone grocery shopping since Yuri usually does it, but since I volunteered I might as well get this over with.

 

I had put all of the fruits and vegetables that we were going to need into the cart and then made my way to the refrigerated meat. As I walked along the aisles, I spotted a little girl poking at some of the meat. “Hey little girl you shouldn’t do that because then you’re going to poke a hole through the wrapping.”

 

The girl turned to me, and what a surprise, if it wasn’t the same kid I met earlier. “Mister llama!”

 

“What are you doing here Soojung?” I looked around to see if someone else was looking for her, but I saw everyone minding his or her own business.

 

I saw Soojung look around and panic could be seen across her face. “ I- I was poking at this because I got bored. My sister. I don’t see my sister.”

 

I left the cart and kneeled down to Soojung’s height. “ Don’t worry Soojung I’ll help you find your sister and if we don’t find her then I’ll just take you home. Okay?”

 

Soojung nodded and I could see hidden tears on the side of her eyes so I patted her head for comfort. “ Come on, get on my shoulder so you can get a better view. That way you can spot your sister easily.”

 

Soojung smiled at me and I helped her get onto my shoulders. The kid didn’t weigh much and I was thankful she didn’t. “Alright Soojung if you see her then tell me where to go okay?”

 

“Okay!” I heard Soojung's excited voice and I let out a soft chuckle.

 

“Alright let me just grab some meat and then we’ll head out.” I felt Soojung shake and I’m going to guess that she nodded. I looked through the meat and grabbed the ones with the best quality.

 

“Okay let’s go!” I tightened my grip on Soojung's legs and pushed the cart. We went down several aisles and Soojung would tell me about the things that she would see.

 

“Mister llama?” I heard Soojung's voice as looked at what type of instant ramen I should take home.

 

“What is it Soojung?”  What would taste better? Spicy or chicken flavored… maybe I should take some regular’s for Yuri.

 

“My sister said that eating Ramen isn’t good for you. Is that true?” I stopped looking through the flavors and processed what she had just said. Her sister is right, but instant ramen come in handy sometimes when you’re in a hurry.

 

“Your sister’s right Soojung eating Ramen isn’t good for you. Especially since you're still a little girl, you need different types of nutrition’s to keep you strong and healthy.”

 

“But I’m a big girl now. I can tie my shoes, and I can change myself without my sister’s help, and I can also take a shower too. I also don’t drink out of my sippy cups anymore.” I let out a soft laugh at Soojung's explanation. The kid was really funny with her logic of being a ‘big girl’.

 

“Okay you’re a big girl, but big girl’s still need to eat healthy foods so that they can grow strong.” You know, I never thought I would be having this type of conversation with a kid. I mean not so early, I always thought I would be having this type of conversation with my own kid and that time of having a kid if my own was a long time from now. Kids were never all that interesting to me and I was never great with kids. Yet here I am with Soojung. Ironic isn’t it?

 

“ But I like ramen.” Soojung's cute. Yup, she really is adorable. Hopefully my kids end up as easy going as her.

 

“You can still have ramen just not a lot of it Soojung.” I grabbed a few instant ramen’s and threw them into the cart.  “Alright let’s go get the milk.” I noticed Soojung stayed quiet. “ Soojung? Are you okay up there?”

 

“Unnie!” I felt Soojung excited wave in mid air to someone and I held her tight so that she wouldn’t fall. “Unnie over here!” This kid almost gave me a mini heart attack with her sudden burst of excitement. Yeah I’m not ready for kids yet.

 

“Soojung!” I heard a voice from the other aisle and then I heard Soojung’s sister quickly push her cart. “There you are. I was looking all over for you!”

 

Soojung let out a nervous giggle and I knew that she would get a scolding later on. “ I’m sorry unnie but I got bored and when I turned around you were gone.”

 

I stood still as I waited for her sister to meet us up on this isle. “ Who are you on Soojung?” You know what? That voice kind of seems familiar to me. Where have I heard that voice before?

 

“ Amber/ Jessica” both Jessica and I had said at the same time. Well what do you know? My new neighbor ended up being my new co-worker.

 

“Amber?” I heard Soojung's voice and she then started to bust out in a fit of giggles. “Mister llama you have a girl’s name.”

 

“ Mister llama?” I looked at Jessica and I could tell she was trying hard not to laugh. I glared at Jessica and she busted out laughing. Great now she knows what the kid calls me.

 

“That’s because I am a girl Soojung.” I felt Soojung lean forward so that she could get a better view of my face and I tightened my hold on her to keep her from falling. I saw Soojung’s innocent brown eyes meet mine. “But you look like a handsome llama! And girls have long hair not short and they don’t wear boy’s clothes. I think you’re lying to me Mister llama.”

 

I let out a smile at Soojung, “I really am a girl Soojung. I just like to wear comfortable clothes and I don’t like to have my hair long.” I know my explanation was just going to confuse her even more.

 

“Why?” See what did I tell you?

 

“ She just does Soojung, Remember about that talk we both had about me liking girls?” I was going to explain to Soojung but Jessica beat me to it. I wonder how that talk went. The kid sure must have been pretty confused when they did have that talk.

 

“ Yes. Does that mean that Mister llama also likes girls Unnie?” I had asked myself that same question when I had been in high school. Did I like girls? I later found out that I did when I found out that my first crush actually liked me too. “Yes I do Soojung. I like girls a lot.”

 

“ So that means that Mister llama can be my Oppa since my Unnie also likes girls a lot.” Both Jessica and I blushed at Soojung's statement. The kid sure is straightforward. I wonder how Jessica deals with her being so straightforward?

 

I heard Jessica clear , “ Soojung. Just because both Amber and I like girls, that doesn’t mean she will be my girlfriend.”

 

I looked up and I saw Soojung pout, “ But I really wanted an Oppa. I’ve never had an Oppa. All I’ve had are Unnie’s.”

 

Soojung looked very upset that I couldn’t be her  ‘Oppa’. I then sighed because I knew I was going to regret this later. “It’s okay Soojung. I can still be your Oppa.” I felt Soojung hug my head and I smiled at the kid.

 

“Thank you Oppa!” I saw Jessica open as if she was going to protest, but I quickly signaled her that it was okay and she just looked at me for a moment and mouthed a “Thank you.”

 

“You’re welcome.” I smiled back.

 

“It’s time to get off of your Oppa Soojung. Come on I still have to get some other things and I’m pretty sure your Oppa is pretty busy herself.”  I saw Jessica extend her arms out to Soojung.

 

“Aw. But I wanted to go home with Oppa!” Soojung whined and I let out a soft laugh when I saw Jessica’s eye balls almost pop out of her sockets.

 

“ Soojung your Oppa must be pretty busy so no. You’re not going to your Oppa’s house.”  Oh right Jessica still doesn’t know.

 

“It’s okay Jessica. I don’t mind taking Soojung home since we are both heading back in the same direction.” Wait for it.

 

“How do you know where I live?” Knew it. I knew she would ask that question, but before I could respond Soojung beat me to it.

 

“Oppa lives next door!” Soojung smiled at Jessica and I saw Jessica

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter