Chapter 3

Moving On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It was white and blank; the room I was in was white and blank. There was nothing around and it seemed like the room went on for miles and miles. So I walked, I walked to where my feet took me. I walked and walked some more, but I saw nothing. It was all abandoned.

 

I looked to my right and I saw something familiar. A room. Wait, it’s my living room. Why the heck is my living room out here in the middle of nowhere… I picked up my pace to the direction where my living room was.

 

I then heard a ringing. Is that the phone? It kept on ringing and it wouldn’t stop. It was actually starting to get on my nerves.

 

I made my way inside into my living room and picked up the phone. I looked at the caller I.D.

 

Yuri

 

I then looked up and looked out the window. It was dark. The sky was dark and the moon shined brightly. I looked back onto the phone and it kept on ringing.

 

Why is Yuri calling this late? Why does this feel so familiar? I feel like-I’ve been in this situation before, but where? When did this happen?

 

Realization finally hit me like being hit by a baseball bat. My hands trembled and I became scared of answering the phone.

 

‘Please don’t. Please don’t let it be what I think it is.’

 

I felt as my heart clenched and it became hard to breath. The phone wouldn’t stop ringing. It was as if it wanted me to answer, but I was scared. I am scared.

 

I finally mustered up the courage to answer the phone, “H-Hello?” My voice cracked and I heard Yuri sniff on the other side of the call.

 

“Do you know? Have you seen it?” Yuri’s voice seemed sad and tired.

 

‘. Please no. Don’t do this to me again.’

 

“S-Seen what?” My body became tense.

 

“Check her profile. Check it right now.” Yuri’s voice seemed strained.

 

‘Don’t do it Amber. Don’t look!’ My body trembled as I walked to my laptop. ‘Stop Amber! Don’t listen!’

 

My body seemed to disobey my mind and it automatically opened my laptop. ‘Amber STOP!’ With trembling hands, it opened the Internet browser. ‘Please. I beg you…. Stop’

 

Her profile popped up and there I saw her. I saw her smile at me, and she looked happy and serene. She was with her friend back in the states. I smiled at the picture because that meant she was having fun with the vacation the company gave her for the wedding she attended two days ago.

 

It wasn’t until I read the description of the photo, “… R.I.P. 08/05/14”

 

It was as if time itself froze. I didn’t dare move nor speak. My mind was blank and I heard Yuri’s voice on the other line calling my name, but I couldn’t speak. My mouth wouldn’t utter a word. I was in shock as I stared at the computer.

 

This is isn’t possible. I just spoke with her last night. She seemed fine. We said good night. She said she loved me and I said it back!

 

“No.” My body finally snapped out of shock.

 

“Amber.” I heard Yuri’s voice crack.

 

“NO!” My whole body trembled in denial, in anger. This isn’t true. I’m dreaming. It’s all a prank and she’ll call me right now saying that it’s all a very terrible joke!

 

“Amber I’m sorry.” I heard Yuri’s muffled sobs.

 

“NO!!!!!” I felt someone slap me and shake my body. “Amber wake up!” I looked at the person who woke me up. It was Yuri.

 

“No!!!” I looked around, “Where-where is she.”

 

“Amber look at me.” She cupped my face with her both hands and she made me look into her eyes. “What year is it Amber?”

 

My mind re-ran the dream I just dreamt. I tried to block it and answer Yuri’s question. “Uh-Twenty seveteen.”

 

“Good, now what month is it?” Yuri’s eyes seemed firm and concentrated. It made me feel more at ease, “ February. The month is February.”

 

“ It already happened Amber. Understood? That’s all in the past. Let’s keep it that way okay?” Yuri let go of me.

 

I sighed, “Thanks Yuri.”

 

“Go shower. Your dripping in sweat and you’re starting to smell.” I glared at Yuri as she made her way out of my room and to hers.

 

I sure as hell am lucky to have a friend like Yuri. We may not be the best of friends and such, but I know she’s got my back.  I know that she’ll stick to her promise. The promise Yuri made to me… was when she passed away. No matter how stubborn I was/am she always sticks around even though I push her away. I’m glad I have someone like her to try to knock some sense into me. I think I would have been lost if it wasn’t for her…

 

I got out of bed and shuffled my way to the bathing room. I really am do for a shower. I seriously can feel my clothes stick onto me because of my sweat and it’s I’m starting to feel nasty.

 

After I had showered and dressed myself, I walked into the kitchen for my normal morning routine. I made my breakfast and ate. Minutes later Yuri joined me and sat down in front of me. “Hey are you going to be busy later today?”

 

I looked up at Yuri and thought about it, “No I don’t think so. Why?”

 

Yuri smiled at me and I felt queasy, “Can you do me a favor?” Oh crap, I should have just told her that I was going to be busy.

 

I looked at her for a moment, “What is it?” She better not have me do something ridiculous.

 

“Can you take care of Soojung while Jessica and I go out on a date?” Spending the evening with the kid? Is that all? I shrugged my shoulders, “Sure.”

 

“Please Amber I really want to… wait what? You’re actually agreeing?” Yuri looked at me as if I grew and extra arm or something. I grinned at her surprised expression, “Yeah, I’ll take care of the kid. It’s not like she’s a bad kid either way.”

 

“Thanks Am.” Yuri smiled at me once more and began to eat. “Have you asked Jessica already?” Please tell me she has.

 

Yuri shook her head at me, “No, but I will ask her soon.”

 

Knowing Yuri, I’m pretty sure she’ll ask Jessica during our office hours, “ Yuri.”

Yuri looked up from her food and looked at me. “ Jessica isn’t like the rest. Take her seriously.”

 

I saw how Yuri furrowed her brows at me, “ I am.”

 

“Then I don’t want her to get a text or call from you asking her if she can go out on a date with you. Understood?” I don’t want Jessica to be categorized as one of Yuri’s one-night stands or ex’s. I know how it played out before with those girls’ and I don’t want the same thing to happen all over again.

 

Yuri looked at me for a moment, “ Do you have feelings for her Am?”

 

“No I don’t, but she is my co-worker and I don’t want it to be awkward between the both of us. That and she’s great at what she does. The company can have someone like her around.” Yuri looked into my eyes as if she was looking for something.

 

Yuri finally nodded, “I’ll drop by your office and ask her.”

 

“Alright then I guess I’ll see you later. I’m off to work.” I ate the last of my food and got ready for work. “Bye Amber.” Yuri said before I left.

 

I got into my car and drove to work. When I entered my office Henry greeted me, “Ambro!”

 

He only says that when he wants something… what the hell does he want now? “What do you want?”

 

“What?” Henry looked at me as if he were to be innocent, “I haven’t even said anything. All I said was your name. Is that a crime?”

 

I glared at him, “In your case it should be and my name is not Ambro. It’s Amber. Now seriously Henry what do you want?”

 

Henry chuckled, “You know me too well.”

 

“Yeah now spill it. What do you want?” My patience was running low.

 

“Okay so here’s the deal. I have a date with this chick, but the thing is her friend doesn’t and she’ll only go out with me if her friend also has a date. So, I was hoping if you’d do me a favor and go out on a date with the girl. Please?” Henry ‘adorably’ pouted at me and I wanted to punch him.

 

“No.” I got my stuff ready for when Jessica walked in.

 

“What? Please Amber! It’s not like you have anything else to do this evening. “ Henry got up from where he was sitting and kneeled on his knees to me. Man, was this guy really that thirsty?

 

“Actually my evening is pretty booked. I’m babysitting for someone.” I got out the drawings for the characters and placed them onto my desk.

 

“Seriously? Since when do you babysit kids? Last I checked you were horrible with kids.” Henry flailed his arms up in exasperation.

 

“Well this kid likes me and so do I. Now move you’re getting in my way.” I sat down behind my desk and organized some files.

 

“What happened to bro’s before hoe’s?” Henry questioned me.

 

I looked up at him with a ‘Are you serious?’ face, “ I think you may have seemed to have forgotten that I’m not a guy.”

 

“But she’s hot! Like really hot!” Henry slammed his hands on my desk.

 

I was quite irritated with his actions already, “ I don’t care if she is hot. My final answer is still no, so get your back into your office and get your paperwork because I want everything ready by the time Jessica gets here. Understood?”

 

Henry knew he had gone past his limit already and he let out a sigh, “Fine. Fine. I’ll be back.” I saw Henry shuffle out the door. It wasn’t until a few minutes later I heard him call someone else’s name and asked him to go out with the girl. I shook my head at the guy. He really needs to stay in a committed relationship.

 

“Morning Amber.” I heard my name and I looked up. Jessica smiled at me warmly and I smiled back. “Morning. How’s Soojung?”

 

Jessica giggled, “She wouldn’t shut up about her Oppa this whole morning. Oppa this. Oppa that. Oppa this and this, and that. I feel like she likes you more than me.”

 

I let out a laugh, “She's just really excited to have an Oppa. I’m pretty sure it’ll go away soon. Don’t worry about it; I’m pretty sure that if it came down to choosing either you or me, she would choose you, Jessica.”

 

I heard Jessica let out a huff, “She better.”

 

“She will. Now let’s get started.” Jessica and I started to draw and Henry joined us a few minutes later with the story line. We got busy and by the end of the morning, Henry called it quits and said that his stomach wouldn’t let him continue on. I finally agreed with him and we went out to eat. We had lunch at Sooyoung's restaurant again and both Sooyoung and Jessica wouldn’t shut up for a minute. They kept on going on about some girl stuff. I stopped paying attention when Henry drew my attention to some chick he met not so long ago.

 

“Hi Henry!” The said girl walked over to Henry and kissed him right on his cheek.

 

“Hey, I haven’t seen you in quite a while. Where were you?” Henry pouted at the girl and I felt like punching him.

 

“Well modeling is a very tiresome job. What’d you expect?” The girl then looked at me, “Well hello there. I’m Nana. It’s pleasure to meet you. You must be a friend of Henry’s. I never knew his friends were this handsome.”

 

Oh this girl sure is hot. How the hell did Henry come across her? She’s too hot for him. “It’s a pleasure to meet you too. I’m uh Amber. My name is Amber.” God why am I being so awkward?

 

“Amber? Isn’t that a girls name?” Nana asked and from there on I already knew where this conversation was heading off.

 

“Uh yeah. That’s because I am a girl.” I smiled at Nana and she returned the favor.

 

I then heard someone clear their throat and I looked to where it came from, “ Hey guys. I’m done eating, so let’s head back already. We have ton’s of stuff to get done.” Jessica seemed quite irritated… I wonder why?

 

“I agree. “ Both Henry and Jessica got up and paid. What’s up with them? I was about to join them, but someone got a hold of my arm. “ I uh- usually guys ask for my number, but since this time I’m in a different situation. I was actually wondering if I could get your number?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter