Chapter 1

Moving On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Falling.

 

That’s all I could do is fall, but I never knew exactly where.

 

Where am I falling?

 

I looked below me, only to see a never-ending black pit, and I let the cool wind hit my face and butterflies formed in the pit of my stomach. I looked around me and all I saw was black, just black.

 

A sigh escaped my lips as I let my body fall; I knew I was having the same dream once more. It was starting to get frustrating yet lonesome.

 

“Amber”

 

When I opened my eyes, immediately, I wished I didn’t. From afar, was the one face I wasn’t ready to see just yet.

 

“Wake up Amber.” I repeated to myself.

 

I knew if I didn’t wake up soon then this dream would only go downhill from here.

 

“Come on Amber, wake up!” I looked below me once more and there she was standing next to an empty road.

 

“Amber! Wake Up!”

 

My body fell hard onto the floor and a groan escaped my mouth. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Yuri on the other side of my bed. “You okay? You were having another nightmare weren’t you?”

 

A sigh left my lips as I stood up, “I’m fine Yuri.”

 

“You need to talk about these type of things Amber. It’s not healthy to bottle up your emotions. I have ears and they’re willing to listen, or if you’re not comfortable talking to me, then we can go see someone else.”

 

“No. I’m not crazy.” I shook my head as I walked over to the bathroom and shut the door.

 

I didn’t want to hear the rest of her lecture. I was fed up with life, and I kind of wished it didn’t have to be a total . Life was already messed up as it was, so why give me another reason to bring my day down?

 

I heard Yuri sigh, “ Am,” and her voice increased in its volume as I the shower, “It’s okay to cry and to just let things go you know?”

 

The grip I had on the showerhead tightened. The warm water eased some of my wariness and stress that had built up over night. “I’m not weak Yuri. I have let things go. I’m moving on.”

 

That sounded convincing, right?

 

My throat tightened, and my muscles started to tense. I then heard her sigh once more and curse under her breath, “Stubborn fool.”

 

My vision blurred and I closed my eyes.

 

No, I’m not about to cry. Don’t you dare cry, Amber. Don’t you dare!

 

The water turned cold, and I was snapped out of my little trance. “Damn Yuri.” I stood away from the cold water as I hugged my body for warmth. Yuri just had to use the restroom while I was in the shower. I then stuck my hand out to see if the water was warming up to me once more.

 

After a few minutes, it finally did, and I continued with my morning routine. Once finished, I walked to the kitchen to get my morning started with something to eat, but we had crap; nothing fit my ideal of having a good breakfast. Shoot, we didn’t even have eggs! I groaned in defeat and grabbed my bag. “ I’m off to work Yuri! I’ll come back a bit late since there is nothing to eat!”

 

I heard a faint “Okay!” and proceeded to make my way out the door after I slipped on my shoes and grabbed the keys to my car. My eyes squinted as the bright sun greeted me out the door. “Stupid sun.”

 

“Hi! My name is Soojung and I’m this many years old. “ There was a little girl standing before me. She still had her pj's on, along with her cute little bunny slippers on her feet. I let out a weak smile to not be rude and patted her head.

 

“And how many is that many?” I asked and the girl looked down onto her fingers.

 

She pouted adorably as she tried to count her fingers. The first four fingers she counted correctly, but I saw her having trouble count the last one and finally looked up at me once she gave up. “What’s this one called?” She pointed at the unknown finger.

 

“ Five. This finger right here is five.” I tapped her small, chubby thumb, and she smiled at me. The kid was genuinely happy to know the number that she had been struggling to count was five.

 

“I am five years old!” The little girl let out a toothy smile and I smiled back as I saw her two front teeth missing.

 

“Soojung! What did I tell you about getting dressed? You’re going to be late for your first day of school!” There was a voice coming from my neighbor next door.

 

Well, that’s strange. Since when did we have new neighbors? Then again I had been wrapped up in my latest project so that could explain my ignorance.

 

Soojung looked at the door and then back at me, “ I have to go now. My unnie is calling me and today is my first day of school.” You know what? It just hit me; the kid could actually speak very well, especially for a five-year-old. “Good-bye, mister!”

 

The kid walked over to her door and waved. I waved back unconsciously. “Oh and mister?” She said before she could close the door.

 

“Yes?” I was actually curious to know what the kid would say to me next.

 

“You look like a llama. A very pretty llama!” The kid smiled at me and then closed the door.

 

I laughed.

 

Who knew a kid could make me laugh this hard? I sure as hell didn’t. Shoot, if someone were to have told me that my morning would have been brought up by a five-year-old kid, I would have just walked away from them.

 

After I settled down from my laughing fit, I drove to work. Along the way my stomach rumbled, protesting that it was time I finally give it something to eat. “Right.” I looked at the time and saw that I had plenty of time to get something to eat really quick.

 

I looked around me and saw a fast-food restaurant.

 

“Might as well.” I drove through the drive-thru and ordered my breakfast for the day. I know that what they gave me wasn’t the best food around, but I didn’t have any other choice. When I drove up to the window I noticed that the cashier looked as if she had one hell of a morning. I didn’t blame her, happens every day. I gave her the money and she gave me my food. I drove off and the smell of my breakfast filled up my car, but I didn’t dare touch it.

 

It wasn’t until I parked my car in front of a building that I finally listened to my stomach and indulged my not so great food. With every bite I took, I could hear a little voice lecturing me about how many calories I was eating and how greasy it was. But I have to get something into my stomach, so a good breakfast will have to wait. Once done, I put the trash into the bag and took a sip of my coffee. Its caffeine was like heaven to me, even though it tasted bitter.

 

I finally stepped out of my car, grabbed my bag and the trash, and made my way inside the building. I spotted a trashcan and tossed the trash away, though I still had my coffee in my hand. “Amber!” I looked slightly to my right and noticed Henry running toward me.  “What’s up?”

 

“ The boss wants to see you once you clock in. He wants the new characters for our new concept.” Henry tried to catch his breath.

 

“Alright just give me a minute to organize some stuff and I’ll head out to his office.” I walked away and walked up the stairs to my office.

 

“Why don’t you just take the elevator?” Henry, who followed me, was trying to keep up with me.

 

“I’m trying to at least get some type of exercise. Especially since I’m going to be on my for the entire day.” One foot in front of the other, that’s all it took for exhaustion to finally keep up with me. Damn stairs were taunting my weakness. I could hear Henry pant behind me as he kept up. “You really need to run a lot more. Just lifting weights all day won’t keep you fit.”

 

Henry cursed under his breath and stopped walking up the stairs. “I’ll catch up with you right now. I think I’ll just take the elevator.”

 

I chuckled at Henry as I made my way up to the final set of stairs. I felt my heart beat rapidly, but I still kept my composure and walked to my office. A few minutes later Henry greeted me and I had gathered up all of the files that were going to be needed. “Where’s the boss?”

 

“He said to meet him up in the conference room, he wants to introduce someone new to us. I hope it’s some hot chick. We can definitely have a hot chick around here.”

 

I snorted as I walked to the conference room. “The last thing I need is you trying to get into some chicks pants at work. I already have to bail your whenever we go out, I don’t need more drama at work. So please keep your little buddy in line if it does end up being some ‘hot chick’ “

 

Henry laughed at me as he followed behind like a lost pup. “Okay fine. How about this? I’ll try to be as discreet as possible so that you won’t notice me getting it on with her if it ends up being a her.”

 

I glared at him, “No. My final answer is no. No hitting on the new girl if it ends up being a girl.”

 

Henry let out a defeated sigh, “Fine.”

 

“Good. Now help me set this up.” For the next few minutes we set up everything. As if luck was on our side, we finished as soon as the boss stepped in and a woman followed him in. “ Jessica, this is Amber and Henry. You’ll be working with them from now on. Henry. Amber. This is Jessica, please take care of her and show her around.”

 

“Gladly”, Henry had this erted smirk plastered on his face as he checked out Jessica. I rolled my eyes at him and ‘accidently’ stepped on his foot. He let out a muffled yelp and I made my way over to Jessica. “Hi, it’s a pleasure to be working with you. I hope you’ll like working here with us.”

 

“The pleasure is mine. I hope you’ll bare with me for the first two weeks while I try my best to settle in.” She let out a very polite smile and I let out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter