The Date

My Perfect Stranger

minkey324.gif


"Damn it!", I said to myself as I checked the time in the car. 
 
I was running 15 minutes late for me and Minho's date. I partly blame myself for it. If I wasn't so worried about what shoes went with what shorts, maybe I would've made it on time. 
 
I sped down the highway that would lead me to the stadium. Luckily, it was still early in the morning so there wasn't as much traffic. 
 
I pulled into the stadium's parking lot where Minho said he'd meet me. I saw him standing by a black car and a smile quickly spread across my face. He was standing there with a grin and waved at me. 
 
I quickly parked and headed out of the car. 
 
"I'm so sorry I'm late," I said as I walked up to him. "I was freaking out on what to wear."
 
He chuckled. "I told you not to put too much thought into it. You're just going to end up getting dirty anyway."
 
I scoffed playfully. "And who says I agree on getting dirty?"
 
"The one who agreed on learning how to play soccer."
 
"Touché. But I'm not a dirty person, Minho," I said as I poked out my lips childishly. 
 
"Awww, well how about I show you around the stadium first. Maybe by the end, you'll change your mind."
 
"Deal! I've always wanted to see this place up close."
 
He smiled, "Well, let's go."
 
He led me to the athletes' portion of the stadium. It was everything for athletes like locker rooms, showers, equipment, etc. 
 
"Where are we going first?"
 
"First, I'm taking you to the locker room."
 
I froze. "Uhh, are you sure that's safe? Someone could be changing clothes and I don't feel like seeing balls so early in the morning."
 
He chuckled. "Don't worry. Everyone's practicing. You probably won't even see them until I take you to the field or the equipment room."
 
When we got to the locker rooms, I was mesmerized at how clean it was. I thought it would be ten times more junkier since they're athletes. 
3p-EvVrZ3kgeHrjYu6i4yWDUeP3drngEE1aEPVr4
"It's so clean in here!"
 
"Yeah, coach gives us hell when we make this place look like a junkyard. The last time someone left underwear hanging around, the whole team suffered and had to do suicides back and forth on the field."
 
"Damn. That's a large field."
 
"Exactly, so it's best to not even test the coach's patience."
 
"He sounds tough."
 
"Well, he is to a certain extent. He's really young to be a coach so he wants to be taken seriously. Aside from that, he's actually quite lovable. I can introduce you to him next."
 
"Why does it feel like I'm about to meet your parents?"
 
He chuckled. "Come on. He's not the bad," he said as he placed a hand on my lower back to guide me. 
 
I froze at the blatant skinship. My skin heated up because my lower back is an intimate place to me. 
 
Minho noticed my conflict and quickly removed his hand. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that."
 
I quickly looked into his sorrowful eyes. "No, it's ok! I mean.... I didn't mind. I kind of......liked it." I smiled comfortingly towards him. "You can put in there again if you'd like."
 
He grinned before placing his hand there again and leading me to his coach's office. 
 
I didn't mind the feeling of Minho's hands on my body. It made me feel like I was someone else's for once beside Jonghyun's. I felt very protected and comfortable. There were butterflies in my stomach. Is this what it meant to have a crush? If so, I'm crushing hard. I can't wait to see how the rest of our date goes. Hopefully, he'll still want to be with me when I tell him about my kids.
 
After a flight of stairs and confusing hallways, we reached the coach's door with the words Coach Lee engraved into it. 
 
Minho knocked on the door before walking in. "Morning, Coach."
 
"Morning, Choi," Coach Lee said before looking up. He seemed shocked to see two people standing there. "Who is he?"
 
"Umm, this is my......date."
 
Coach Lee smiled knowingly before saying, "So this is the pretty blonde you've been bragging about?" Minho dipped his head in embarrassment. "Nice to meet you. I'm coach Lee, but you can call me Jinki," he smiled warmly. He looked really beautiful and less intimidating when he smiled. 
 
"No fair, Coach! You don't let us call you Jinki."
 
"Well, he's a guest, so he gets special privileges. What's your name again," he addressed me. 
 
I bowed before saying, "Kim Kibum, but everyone calls me Key. Nice to meet you, Jinki."
 
He smiled towards Minho before saying, "He's a keeper."
 
Minho grumbled, "Coach, it's just the second date."
 
"All it takes is one. You're already a shoe in!" I giggled at his enthusiasm. It's nice to see that I'm already winning over people who are close to him. "What are you guys doing today?"
 
"I was showing Key around the stadium before I go teach him how to play." I cleared my throat suggestively. "Well, possibly teach him how to play."
 
"A pretty guy like him shouldn't be playing a sport like this."
 
"THANK YOU!" I praised him for being on my side. 
 
Minho spoke up, "So you're trying to say I'm not pretty?"
 
We all burst out laughing. I rubbed his arm to soothe him. "You're handsome, y even." After I realized what I said, my face instantly heated up. Why was I like this?!
 
"I'm y?" He asked with a grin. 
 
I nodded because I couldn't even bare to speak. 
 
Jinki spoke up, "But not as y as I am, right?"
 
"Coach!"
 
"I'm just kidding, Choi. Calm down. Anyway, I'll let you two continue your date. Let the boys know that group practice will be tomorrow so I want to them get as much individual practice in today."
 
"Ok, coach."
 
"Nice meeting you, Key-ssi. You're welcome to come to the stadium anytime."
 
I smiled. "Thanks. Nice meeting you too."
 
We walked out of the office and Minho placed his hand back on my lower back as he led me to somewhere else. 
 
"I have a feeling my coach likes you."
 
"Oh, don't be ridiculous."
 
He chuckled. "I'm serious. It looked like he was flirting with you."
 
"You think he'll try to come between us?"
 
He shook his head. "Coach Lee is a good person. I know he'll never do that."
 
I nodded. "I like him. He's nice and funny. So where are we going now?"
 
"The indoor practice room. It's like a mini version of the field. We practice on the field together, but indoor as an individual."
 
Tjv_5EqzuVEYu9jNbK5B3EHZtjvpUx9356HnjIgf
"Wow, it really looks like a field."
 
When we got there, I saw lots of men. Some were playing, some were watching, some were texting, etc. I noticed that as we go closer to the men, Minho's hand traveled from my back to my waist protectively. A blush instantly spread across my face and my heartbeat sped. 
 
As the teammates started noticing our presence, they started hooting and hollering, making whistling sounds, and say oooooh.
 
"Looks like Choi's got a girlfriend," said one. 
 
"Choi, where'd you find him?"
 
"What's his name?"
 
"Does he have a brother?"
 
"Is he single?!"
 
Minho chuckled and I basically hid behind him as he talked to the men. "Calm down, boys. This is Key, my date."
 
There were whines and groans from men who knew there was no shot of me being with them. There were also hoots and hollers of congrats for Minho. My cheeks were blazing. 
 
"You found you a fine one," said one of his teammates. "What's you name, cutie?"
 
"Um-"
 
"His name's Kibum," Minho cut me off, "and I'd appreciate it if you didn't flirt with my date in front of me, Siwon."
 
The team lets out dramatic ooooh's as a tense mood settled. It was kind of awkward because I could tell these two had some sort of past. However, Minho got some cool points from me because I liked how protective he was of me. 
 
"Why so sour, Choi? Afraid I'll steal your date like I did your last one?"
 
Minho's grip tightened around my waste. "I'm not afraid of anything because I'm pretty sure Key's not a like my last date was. By the way, how were my leftovers?"
 
The teammates hollered and clapped at Minho's comeback. I wasn't sure on what was going on, but I'm sure it's best to not get in between it. 
 
"So you got jokes now? Let's not forget who's captain. I can make your life a living hell. Remember that."
 
"Last time I checked, you're not coach Lee. Only he has the power to do that."
 
"I'm second in power to coach Lee. So I'll advise you to watch out."
 
"Ooooh, I'm so scared," Minho said sarcastically. 
 
"I would be if I were you. Anyway," directed his attention toward me as he said, "whenever you're ready to leave this dumbo and deal with a real man, give me a call."
 
I cleared my throat. "Well, I happen to think Minho's quite an intelligent man. He's more than enough man than you could ever be. So as much as it kills me, I'll have to decline your offer," I ended with a sarcastic smile. 
 
The teammates looked just as shocked as Siwon after what I said. I meant every word of it. Minho's a good man and I wasn't just going to stand there and watch him get insulted. 
 
Siwon was flabbergasted. "D-do you know who you're speaking too?!"
 
"Hmmm. Let me think..... Nope!"
 
"Why you little -"
 
"Hey!" Minho surprised everyone by shoving me behind him and standing inches from Siwon's face. "Don't you EVER talk to him like that!"
 
"Or what, Choi?! I advise you to back the up before I do something you might regret!"
 
"Do it! I date you to!"
 
"BOYS!" Everyone's heads turned to see Jinki angrily storm towards them with a pissed face. "What the hell is going on?!" No one made a move to speak. "So no ones going to speak?! Well, since you all are a little slow at talking, how about the whole team does suicides tomorrow across the field until I say stop." The team groaned. "Don't groan now. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. We have a guest and today you choose to show out?" He bowed to me, "'I apologize on behalf of them.
 
I shook my head. "It's fine. I should be apologizing. I didn't meant to cause any trouble."
 
"Don't blame yourself because of these idiots. They deserve every type of punishment coming they're way. Anyway, enjoy your date with Minho. I'll make sure there are no more distractions," he ended as he stared at Siwon. Before we walked off he said, "Minho, I wanna see you in my office bright and early tomorrow."
 
He nodded. "Ok, coach."
 
When we entered the hallway, I felt Minho signal me to stop walking. 
 
"I'm sorry about what happened back there. You didn't deserve to see that."
 
"It's ok-"
 
"No, it's not. I planned this day out perfectly just for the both of us. I wanted to share with you something I love, not let you see me get out of character. You deserve way more than that."
 
I was surprised that he felt so strongly about me so early in our relationship.....or whatever you'd call us. I was seeing another side to him that I really liked. 
 
I grabbed his hand before saying, "Thank you."
 
"Key-"
 
"No, listen. Thank you for sticking up for me. It takes a lot of balls to stand up to someone like a captain, and I really appreciate that." I sighed before continuing. "That guy was being a real to you. I'm surprised you hadn't already punched him by the time the coach came. It takes a real man to be able to stand up for what he believes in, so thank you." I gave him a kiss on the cheek out of gratitude. 
 
When I pulled away, I saw a grin slowly spread across his face. "You really thought I was manly?"
 
I giggled. "The manliest."
 
"Thanks. So our date isn't ruined?" He asked with uncertainty. 
 
I chuckled. "Are you kidding? This is the most excitement I've had in months! Not even that could ruin this."
 
He smirked. "That's good to hear."
 
"Is there anything else left to see?"
 
"Well I was going to show you the stadium field to you, but I honestly don't even feel like playing anymore."
 
I smiled internally because I really didn't want to get dirty anyway. 
 
"Can you still show me?"
 
He smiled, "Sure."
 
We walked to the tunnel that led to the field.
 
"It's kind of dark in here"
 
He chuckled. "What? Are you scared?"
 
I fronted "Pfft! What? Of course not!"
 
We walked a couple of more feet before the field came into my view. 
 
spqKApJ4xmB3lzmX0cKz-WRV0hLrItKuwpvzW4Em Lp2Dcuwdt5fcou9zWF9fl4UzdWWXP3Lt3_zz-XUh
 
"Tada!"
 
"Woooooooooow~". That's all I could say as I took in how large the field was. "You guys actually run up and down this thing?"
 
"Yep. It's actually not that bad during games since we pass the ball. It's hell during practices though. "
 
"To be honest, I can't help but feel like it's my fault why you guys were punished."
 
He looked at me concerned. "Why would you say that?"
 
"If it wasn't for me, you would've never gotten into that argument with your teammate."
 
"Key, don't blame yourself for his stupidity. It's not your fault. Anyway, no more about that. Let's go take a seat."
 
We headed up the bleachers and took a seat in the middle row. I was extremely nervous when we finally sat down because that meant the moment was coming. The moment where I had to tell him about my children. 
 
"Minho?"
 
He looked at me. "Yeah?"
 
"I haven't been 100% truthful with you."
 
His eyes scrunched up. "What's going on?"
 
"Promise you'll hear me out first." He nodded and I sighed. "It's no easy way to say this so I'll just come out with it."
 
He wrapped and arm around me and my face flared because I still wasn't used to so much skinship. "I'm here for you."
 
I nodded before hiding my face in my hands. "Those two little boys on my lockscreen are.....my......they're my children."
 
It was silent before I heard him say, "I know."
 
I slowly removed my hands down from my face. "W-what?"
 
He smirked a little before continuing. "I mean, I didn't know, but I knew in a way. I had a feeling they were related to you somehow, but they had to be closer than cousins or nephews. I also didn't remember you ever mentioning brothers or sisters, so that was off the list. So it trickled down to them being you sons. I was just waiting to see how long it was going to take for you to tell me."
 
I groaned. "I'm really sorry. I was going to tell you on the first date, but I thought it was inappropriate because we didn't really know each other that well. I just don't want you to think I'm untrustworthy because I really really like you Minho," I choked up. "I know we just met and all but you make me see that there's life out there. I haven't been on a date in God knows how long. You're a really good person and an ideal guy to me and I'm so sorry. I'm so-"
 
He cut me off with a deep kiss. That really caught me off guard. There was a feeling of butterflies in my stomach as I embraced the softness of his lips. It wasn't anything too hasty, it was enough to flip my world around. 
 
When we pulled away, I looked at him with watery eyes. "Wha-"
 
"Shhhh. It's ok, Key. I really like you as well and I completely understand why you wanted to protect that information. I would too if I was you. I just want you to know that this will not change my opinion of you. I know it may seem like we're moving fast, but I don't care. You mean something to me and I'm willing to put up with anything as long as the end product is you."
 
I tear rolled down my cheek. "You really are a good man. I don't deserve you"
 
"Hey,hey," he said as he cupped my face. "Don't say things like that."
 
"But I mean it. I'm broken. I have to deal with kids and a crazy ex. I don't want to put that burden on you."
 
"Listen. I'm willing you go through hell with your ex as long as it leads to your happiness. He doesn't scare me and I don't want this situation to scare you."
 
I sniffed before saying, "Everything seems so unreal. I'm not supposed to be happy-"
 
"Says who? Your ex? All of your doubters? Don't listen to them. Listen to me. I'm willing to make this relationship work if you are. Are you willing to work it out?"
 
"I don't know. It seems so sudden."
 
"We don't have to be in a relationship. I just want to be around. Maybe meet your kids if that's ok."
 
"It's still a bit too early for that," I chuckled. "I don't want to scare them."
 
"Fair enough. Just know that I'm here. Whenever you're ready to make this relationship official, I'll be waiting like a loyal dog."
 
I smirked. "Really?"
 
"Really," he said before leaning in and kissing my lips. 
 
When he pulled away I said, "I like kissing you."
 
"When's the last time you kissed someone?"
 
"Aside from my family, years ago."
 
"Wow, that's awhile."
 
"I know. Honestly, I feel kind of......good."
 
"Why?"
 
"Because I feel free, like I'm not hiding anything from you anymore. I don't like being secretive."
 
"At least you're honest. Honesty is the best policy."
 
I chuckled. "So I've been told."
 
The rest of the date was great. Jinki came to apologize on behalf of Siwon and told Minho he would be exempt from their torture tomorrow. He even gave me season passes to come back whenever I want. I guess it's great to have a charm like mine. 
 
Me and Minho walked around the field and talked until the end of our date. He walked me to my car around 4:00 so I can get back home. 
 
"Thanks for the date" I said as we made it to my car. 
 
"Thanks for showing up. Sorry you had to cry."
 
I waved it off. "It's ok. I'm too sensitive anyways. I can cry at the drop of a hat."
 
He chuckled before saying," Y'know, I'm looking forward to seeing you more in the future. You're quite the puzzle, Kibum. I'm eager to figure you out."
 
I blushed. "I'm looking forward to seeing you as well."
 
He hugged me. "Until next time."
 
I leaned back and stared him in the eyes before kissing him. I was surprised because I made the first move. Minho was changing me slowly but surely. I don't know where this newfound confidence was coming from but I liked it. Of course, my good moments always get interrupted. 
 
My phone rang and had to forcefully end the kiss. When I saw the caller ID, I instantly rolled my eyes and groaned. 
 
"Who is it?" Minho asked. 
 
"My ex." I irritatedly answered the phone. "What is it?"
 
"Is that any way to speak to the father of your children?"
 
"Honestly, I don't want to talk to you, especially after what you did at my job. You really pissed me off, Jonghyun."
 
"Awww. I'm sorry, Bummie-"
 
"Don't call me that."
 
"Oh I forgot you still pretend like that word doesn't mean anything to you. Anyway, I was calling to let you know I'll be dropping the boys off soon because I have to go out of town and my parents are busy."
 
"Ok. Around what time?"
 
"Hmmm. About 15 minutes."
 
. It takes that long to get to my apartment from the stadium. "Umm, why not a later time?"
 
"Because I'm getting on a flight at five and I need time to get ready. Is that a problem?"
 
Of course it is! If I don't get home before Jonghyun, he'll become curious and hound me with unnecessary questions. He may even allude to the fact that I could've been out with someone. If I wanted to make it on time, I had to go now. 
 
"Of course there's no problem. I'm just cleaning up."
 
"Ok. Be there soon, Bummie."
 
"I said don't call me th-" he hung up before I could finish. 
 
I looked over to Minho apologetically. "I'm sorry. I have to leave now."
 
"What's going on?"
 
"He's about to drop the boys off. I need to be there before them and it takes awhile for me to get home."
 
"I understand. Drive home safe," he said as he opened my door. 
 
"Thanks I will. See you later." He shut the door and waved as I drove away. 
 
Now I need to hurry and get home before my stalker does.