The Last Straw

My Perfect Stranger

dfr7fh.gif


It's been three weeks since I've last spoken to Jonghyun. I could say that it's been blissful, except for one thing. My boys. Jonghyun was right about them asking about him. And you know what? It is hard to tell them. It's hard because they have this perfect vision of Jonghyun. He's an amazing father to them, and I'm afraid of them changing how they feel about him. 

 
However, I can't let Jonghyun win anymore. For years, he's been able to get his way with me, most of it being my fault, but not anymore! I'll show him who's boss. No matter how hard it may be to tell my boys. 
 
"Guest number 26". 
 
I got up from the waiting room of the law firm and headed to the back room where my lawyer was waiting for me. The same lawyer that orchestrated the whole restraining order in the first place. 
 
"Pleased to see you, Mr. Kim," he said as I opened the door and closed it. "Please have a seat."
 
I sat in the chair in front of his desk. "Hello, Mr. Chung."
 
"From my understanding, you're here about the breaching of your contract involving the restraining order against your ex-boyfriend."
 
I nodded. "Yes, sir."
 
"These breaches include minor assault, refusal to stay the legal distance away from you, and trespassing. Those along with many other breaches. Based on this list, he could possibly face jail time. Are you aware of this?"
 
My heart dropped and I took a deep breath. "Yes."
 
"Ok, is it something you'll want to go through with if you decide to press charges?"
 
My lips quivered at the thought of me being the reason why my boys wouldn't be able to see Jonghyun. It would break their hearts to not have him there as much as he already is. Ugh, what am I doing?! 
 
I teared up and placed my head in my hands as I said, "no."
 
He seemed confused. "No?" Then there was a softness to his voice. "Mr. Kim, it's understandable. You shouldn't cry about it. I can obviously tell that this person means a lot to you and your kids. Usually when clients change their minds about pressing charges, it's because they're still holding on to something with that person."
 
I nodded and sniffed, but kept my head in my hands. "That's exactly why. We have two beautiful kids together. When I was young, I didn't have a supportive dad who could always be there. I don't want that for my kids. Jonghyun is a very supportive dad and is very active in their lives. That's why it's so hard to follow through with this."
 
I heard him sigh. "I know I'm not paid to get involved in your personal life, but your case is very special to me. Mr. Kim, though it may be true that he's an amazing father, the law is still the law. When he does things like assault you and trespass, knowing he's breaching the contract, then there's nothing else you can do except go to the law. From what you've told me about him, it's obvious that he loves his children, but it's also true the he has personal issues that need to be resolved."
 
I slowly looked up at him as I wiped my eyes. I rested my hand on the side of my neck as I said, "I've tried to convince him to go to therapy, but he refuses to believe he has anger problems. I'm also afraid that pressing charges will ruin his image since he just became an idol."
 
"Idol? Wait....you're talking about Kim Jonghyun? My daughters love him!" He cleared his throat to regain him composure. "Anyway, his pop-star status is not a deciding factor in this case. My question is why you haven't decided to do this any sooner?"
 
"Well, because he would always threaten to use his money and power to get what he wants. Like bribing lawyers."
 
He chuckled. "Well, you have nothing to worry about, Mr. Kim. I don't do well with bribes. That's also a criminal offense, so if he doesn't want anymore charges, I wouldn't do that if I were him."
 
I stared at the table. "I'm still not sure about this decision."
 
"Listen, Mr. Kim. At this point, your decision needs to be based upon your relationship with him, not on whether not he's a good father, because he's causing the most damage to you mentally. I don't want you to end up like my last client."
 
My eyes landed on his. "What happened to your last client?"
 
"She was being tortured by her ex-husband. Her case was more extreme than yours. He would abuse her, break into her house, damage her car, cause a scene at her job, etc. Let me remind you, he was a great father as well. However, he treated her so badly to the point of insanity. She killed her kids and herself, leaving behind a note stating that she couldn't take living anymore and didn't want her kids being raised by anyone like her ex-husband."
 
My eyes widened and I gasped loudly. "Are you serious?!"
 
He nodded. "Sadly, it's true. She didn't even want her children to be handed over to him, so she killed them along with herself. That's very extreme, but that's what happened. We've always questioned why she just didn't kill the husband, but of course we can't ask her that because she's dead."
 
I shook my head slowly as the story sunk in. "Those poor children. They didn't deserve to die as well. They had a life to live. Why would she do such a thing?"
 
"We don't know, but we're trying to prevent these type of cases from happening. This is exactly why I think you should press charges on your ex."
 
I took a deep breath. "Is there at least another option?"
 
He clasped his hands together. "Well, we can have a meeting with both parties to try and reach an agreement. That means he would have to bring his lawyer and himself, while I would represent you."
 
"What type of agreement?"
 
"Well, any agreement you would like to put forth. Do you have anything in mind?"
 
"I just want him to get the help he needs. Maybe go to some classes or an institution that helps with anger management. I know he's a good person on the inside. He just gets so caught up with his emotions that he seems to lose himself. Maybe if he gets outside help, he'll be able to get back to his old self."
 
"You truly are a good person, Mr. Kim. I know if it were me, I would've been had him behind bars, but maybe that's just a question of my heart. Anyway, we can make this happen. I'll just contact his lawyer and that's how he'll know. You don't have to physically tell him yourself. Actually, I advise you not to communicate with himat all about this, in hopes of avoiding another conflict. Do you understand?"
 
I nodded. "Yes, sir."
 
"Well, that's all for now. You'll be contacted with further information as it comes. Also, smile a bit. You look better when you smile."
 
I grinned a little at that comment. "I'll try."
 
I stood up to shake his hand, but he surprised me by giving me a hug and rubbing my back comfortingly. "You remind me of my daughters. Always worrying about what daddy can fix. I want you to know it's going to be ok, Mr. Kim. I'm going to fix this problem for you. Just try to get some rest."
 
We pulled away from our hug and I smiled saying, "Thank you, Mr. Chung" then I headed out of the building to my car. 
 
I sat in my car for awhile, not knowing what to do next. I was so stressed it made no sense. A war was about to be started and it's all my fault. I'm just grateful that I have such a caring lawyer. Any other lawyer wouldn't have gotten so emotionally involved like he has. It's also nice to know he's family oriented, so I know he'll pay close attention to this case. 
 
Since it was still morning, I decided to call to Minho to see if he felt like hanging out. I needed some type of distraction. 
 
"Hey, honey," I said as he answered the phone. 
 
"Hey, Key? What's wrong?"
 
"What makes you think something's wrong?"
 
"I don't know. You just sound a little down. Is everything alright?"
 
"Kind of. I just got finished talking with my lawyer."
 
It was silent for a couple of seconds before he said, "So you're going to go through with it?"
 
"I'm not sure. First, I'll just try to see if we can reach an agreement on something. If we can't, then I would have no choice but to press charges."
 
"Mm, I see. That should be happy you're doing something like this instead of pressing charges."
 
"I really don't feel like talking about it. I just want to see you. Can I?"
 
"Well, we don't have practice today, but I came to the stadium with a couple of guys from the team anyway to get some extra practice in."
 
I poked out my lip and somberly said, "so that means I can't come?"
 
"Aww~, you sound so cute. I'm sorry, Key, but I have to stay focused on training. But I promise when I'm done, I'm dropping by. Lunch break is coming soon so I should see you in about 30 minutes. Ok, babe? I love you."
 
"Ugh, stop making my heart flutter," I chuckled. "I love you too."
 
Then we hung up and I headed to Jonghyun's parents' house to pick up the boys . Once I'd arrived, I could already hear their excited tiny voices before I even rang the doorbell. How can they bring such happiness to me without even being in my presence?
 
After ringing the doorbell, the door opened slightly and Mrs. Kim came into view. Before I could say hi to her, Jongin and Taemin came running to me excitedly and hugging waist. 
 
Mrs. Kim chuckled, "They've been talking about you all day."
 
I looked down at them and gasped dramatically, "Really? Did you miss umma?"
 
They nodded eagerly. Mrs. Kim continued, "They've asked about Jonghyun as well. Kibum, if you don't mind me asking, why has it been almost a month since the boys have seen their father?"
 
My smiled dropped slowly. "Boys, get in the car, ok? I need to talk to Nana really quick."
 
"Ok, umma!" They raced each other to the car before hopping in. 
 
I turned back to Mrs. Kim, dreading this conversation. "Jonghyun's been acting unruly lately."
 
"Again?"
 
I nodded. "I just don't know what to do anymore, Mrs. Kim. You and I both know that I've given Jonghyun countless chances to fix things."
 
"I know, but that's not any reason to take the kids away from their father."
 
I scrunch my eyebrows. "I wouldn't have to take them away if Jonghyun's behavior wasn't getting worse."
 
"Mmm, I see. What are you doing about it?"
 
I didn't want to tell her about me meeting with my lawyer because that might get interpreted the wrong way. "Well, I'm going to talk to him soon about going to anger management classes or something in that nature. I just want him to be happy."
 
She smiled a little. "That's nice of you, Kibum. I can tell that you still have love for him. I'm sorry that my son has caused you much pain."
 
"You don't have to apologize anymore, Mrs. Kim. It's not your fault. I guess it's just something he has to deal with."
 
She nodded. "Yeah you're right."
 
"Well, I'll get going now. Both of us know how testy my children can get when their alone for too long." She chuckled and we bid each other farewell. 
 
When I got in the car, the boys were bickering about what anime show was better. Naruto or One Piece? Ugh, I'll never understand. 
 
"Naruto is a legend!" Argued Taemin. 
 
"And so is One Piece!"
 
"Ha! So you agree that Naruto is a legend!"
 
Jongin gasped, "No way! Dude, One Piece is way more of a legend than Naruto can ever be!"
 
"Enough!" I exclaimed after listening to them for a few seconds. "Can't we all just agree that both shows are good and neither one of you will profit from this battle?" They instantly hushed. "Great. Now, let's please go home and try not to kill each other while we're in the car."
 
"Neh, umma," they dragged. 
 
We rode home with no other complications. I was really ready to lay down. I'd been too stressed out lately to have some time to myself. Sadly, when I get home, I'll have to sketch out some new outfits for another girl group. I just can never get a break. 
 
Unfortunately, when I got home, it became apparent that I wouldn't be able to get enough rest as I had planned. When I opened the door, I saw just the very guy I was trying to get away from. 
 
"Appa!" Both of the boys ran in and hugged Jonghyun. 
 
Taemin spoke, "Appa, we've missed you so much!"
 
Jongin coincided, "Neh! Did you miss us, Appa?!"
 
Jonghyun chuckled with the biggest smiled on his face. "Of course I missed to two. I love you guys." He placed kisses on both of their cheeks. 
 
I slowly walked towards them. "Jonghyun? May I have a word with you," I said through gritted teeth. 
 
Jongin giggled. "Oooh, Appa's in trouble~."
 
I inhaled and exhaled deeply. "Boys, go upstairs while I talk to your father." They gave Jonghyun one last hug before running upstairs. 
 
When it was just the two of us, Jonghyun immediately tried to talk. "Now, let me explain-"
 
"What the hell are you doing here? How did you even get in?"
 
"I came here to talk to you. And I have my ways of getting into places."
 
"So you're breaking into homes now?"
 
"Nah, just yours."
 
"If I had sense enough I'd call the cops right now."
 
"Kibum, I didn't come here to argue. I came to have an agreement with you."
 
"I don't want to ing talk to you. It's not like anything would change."
 
"You don't know that."
 
"Has anything changed now? Has talking to me changed anything so far? I didn't think so. All it has done is give me a bigger headache than I came with. There's no sense in talking because it always ends the same. You'll never accept Minho and you'll keep treating me like property. I don't have time for that anymore, Jong!"
 
"Key," he reached out to touch my hand. 
 
I snatched it away saying, "Don't you dare touch me."
 
He gave a menacing laugh. "You know what? You're really pissing me the off."
 
"Well that makes two of us. Can you please just leave? I don't want to talk to you."
 
"I have a right to talk to you. You have my kids, dammit! Do you know how long it's been since I've seen them? No! Because you get to have them as often as you please. You don't understand how much it's eating me alive to know that I can't see them."
 
I tried my best not to cave in like I usually do. "Jonghyun, you're forgetting that you brought this upon yourself. If you would've complied, things would be easier."
 
He roughly gripped my shoulders unexpectedly. "It's him isn't it?!"
 
I winced from the slight pain. "Jong, get your damn hands off of me!" We were too busy arguing for me to notice the front door opening. 
 
"You're mine, Bummie. Mine!" His grip got tighter and tighter. 
 
"Ahh! Jonghyun, stop! Let me go!"
 
At that moment, I was forcefully ripped from Jonghyun's hands. Though it hurt, I was grateful to my savior. I looked and saw that it was Minho who'd saved me. I keep forgetting that he has a key to my apartment. It really comes in handy. 
 
Minho went to attack Jonghyun, but I didn't want this to happen because my children were home. They didn't need to hear any of this. 
 
So just as Minho was about to throw a punch, I jumped in front of Jonghyun to block him. "Wait!"
 
Minho's fist stopped mid-air. "Move out the way, Key. It's about time this er learns a lesson! I'm getting sick of him ing disrespecting you!"
 
Jonghyun scoffed behind me. " you! You're disrespectful for trying to be apart of my family!"
 
"Will both of you just shut up! I have two little boys upstairs who'd like to relax and play the game up there. They don't need to hear any of this! Now can you two please act like adults?!"
 
Minho seemed to calm down a bit. "Maybe if he wasn't so difficult it wouldn't be that hard."
 
I moved out of Jonghyun's way to walk closer to Minho. "Thanks for trying though."
 
Jonghyun sneered, "Bummie, don't you dare walk any closer to him."
 
I turned to look at him. "Stop calling me that! And I can do what I want, Jong. I'm not your loyal servant. I have a life! You should probably try to find a person for yourself too."
 
He ran up to me and roughly grabbed my wrist. I let out a cry as he said, "There is no one else! Only you! Do you understand me?!"
 
Minho quickly punched Jonghyun in the face. After that, they were at it. They were going at it like animals. I didn't know what you do. There was no way I could jump in. 
 
"Appa!"
 
"Minho!"
 
I turned my head to see my boys standing there, watching the fight. That made me feel so guilty because this isn't something kids should see. 
 
I ran over to them. "Boys, go upstairs."
 
Taemin said, "Appa and Minho are fighting! Umma, do something!"
 
"Boys, just go upstairs like I said!" I gave them a nudge on their shoulders to signal them to leave. 
 
"No!" Jongin shocked me by his outburst. "We need to help Appa and Minho!" At that, they ran to the two tumbling men. 
 
My eyes widened out of horror. I didn't want my boys anywhere near them because they could get hurt. Just as Jongin and Taemin reached the men, I forcefully pulled them back. 
 
"Didn't I tell you to go upstairs?!"
 
After that, all I could remember was the impact my face made with the ground. Before that, I'd felt a hard blow to the side of my head. It had my ears ringing and everything around me going mute. My vision blurred in and out as everything eventually faded to black. 

Woo! I'm back again and Key has had enough! Jonghyun's got some serious probz. Minho to the rescue! Please leave comments as usual ^.~

End.