The Heart Grows Fonder

My Perfect Stranger

CLnm5reUMAAb_V4.jpg


With all of my complications out of the way, the wedding date seemed to have flewn right around the corner. Within about a month and a half, Jokwon had all of the preparations together. It was a week before the wedding when Jokwon came over my house with what he considered important business.

We sat in the living room as he explained to me his plans. 
 
"You want me to what?!"
 
"Have a bachelor/bachelorette party!"
 
"Party? As in having fun?"
 
"Duuuuh. Is something wrong with that?"
 
"Kwon, my last break was about three weeks ago. I've been working too much to have fun plus being a parent."
 
"Oh, come on~, Key. Don't be a negative Nancy."
 
"It's not that. It's just...... I don't know.... I kind of just wanna be with Minho up until our wedding."
 
"But don't you want to get that last hoorah of freedom out before you get married? What's the worst that can happen?"
 
I dead panned. "May I remind you that at your party, some dude's mandingo kept flying and gyrating in everyone's faces. No offense, but I think I'll pass on that."
 
"Hey, I was just as surprised as you were. One of my bridesmaids planned that as a surprise...and it surely was one."
 
"Which is exactly why I respectfully decline." Jokwon whined as Minho made his way into the living room. "Minho, please tell your fiancé he's being ridiculous."
 
Minho sat on the arm rest as he placed a hand on my shoulder, looking as dumbfounded as ever. "About what?"
 
I interrupted. "Kwon wants me to have a bachelor/bachelorette party, but I don't want one."
 
Minho let that sink in before nodding, "Why not?"
 
Why not? Was he really thinking about letting Kwon go through with this? Ugh, can't my future husband be on my side for once?
 
Kwon piped up. "See! Minho doesn't think it's a bad idea. Do you, Minho?"
 
He smiled. "Of course not. It'll be fun. Key's been so caught up lately in work so a night out would do him some good."
 
I interrupted. "But aren't you even the least bit worried about certain events that could take place like strippers or whatnot."
 
"Just make sure they're not as good looking as me," he said before he and Kwon burst out laughing. 
 
Was I the only one who was being serious?
 
Minho continued, "I'm just kidding. But to answer your question, no I'm not worried. You're not the type of person who's into that sort of stuff. And even if something like that was to happen, I trust you."
 
"Well.....but...." 
 
I tried to come up with an excuse, but I couldn't find any. It's not like I just didn't want to have a party at all, I'm just not the party type of person, at least not anymore. My party days ended when my kids were born, and there's a reason for that. 
 
I've never been one to hold alcohol well, and at most parties, alcohol is always present. Meaning there will be plenty opportunity for me to get drunk off my . That's problem number one. 
 
Problem number two is Minho. I know he'll want a party of his own as well, which would be fine if he didn't have some crazy cousins who loved to party. They're the type of people you would see in fraternities and warn your kids not to be like. It's not like I don't like them, because I do, but I'm just concerned about the ideas and events they may have Minho doing. 
 
"Key," he took me out of thought. "Are you ok?"
 
"Yeah. I'm just worried."
 
"About what?"
 
"Well...do you want a bachelor party?"
 
He smiled. "Of course! It's been awhile since I've seen some of my friends, plus it'll be great for the team and I to relax. Also, my cousins from out of town would be so pumped."
 
I mumbled. "That's what I'm afraid of."
 
"Huh?"
 
"Don't get me wrong, you know I love your cousins. They're so cool and funny, but they're party animals. I'm afraid they'll have you doing something you shouldn't be doing." 
 
He sighed before kissing my temple. "There's nothing to worry about, Kibum. Really. I know my cousins can be pretty wild sometimes, but if I ask them to tone it down, I know they will."
 
"What if they try to get you around strippers as well?"
 
He chuckled. "Then they can have their fun with them. To be honest, I have too much to lose by doing something as stupid as cheating on you because of one night of fun. I don't want to lose you or the boys. Just trust me, Key."
 
"Yeah," said Kwon, "Just trust him, Key." I rolled my eyes. 
 
I sighed then nodded. "Ok. I trust you. But I want you to at least call me when you arrive at wherever you're going and call me before you go to bed. Ok?"
 
He smiled. "Fine by me."
 
"Yes!" Exclaimed Jokwon. "Well, by this weekend , I should be able to have everything set up."
 
"But that's just in four days," I said. 
 
"Yeah, but your wedding's next week so we don't have much time. As for you, Minho, you should get your guys together by this weekend as well. If both of you have your parties on the same day, then it'll cause you guys to worry less about the other because you'll have your own plans. Do you think you can have everything planned by Saturday?"
 
Minho nodded. "Sure. My family doesn't live too far away and I see the team tomorrow so I can let them know."
 
"Sounds like a plan! Key, you can invite whoever you want and I'll invite some of my friends as well, but it's ones you know from the fashion show."
 
I nodded, "Ok. That's fine."
 
A night out with my friends the weekend before my wedding should be exciting. Being able to squeeze out that last ounce of freedom people seem to have before they get married. This could be what I need. This should be fun, right?
 
Except it wasn't. 
 
When Saturday night came, I was sitting in the VIP section in a club, supposedly celebrating and toasting to my last night of freedom, as if it was something to be missed. As much as I tried to forget about Minho and have fun with my friends, I frequently found myself thinking about him. 
 
What was he doing? Was he having fun? Were his cousins being Neanderthals? Would he call me before bed?
 
To make matters worse, Jokwon took my phone after I checked up on Minho, claiming it'll take away from my fun to constantly be worried about Minho. I should be living in the moment, he said. 
 
But how could I live in any moment that doesn't include Minho? 
 
About an hour into being in the club and lightly drinking champagne, in order to not get drunk, Woohyun and Kwon seemed to notice how gloomy I was as I sat on the couch while they had their fun. 
 
They both walked over to me, sitting on opposite sides. 
 
"What's wrong with you," said Kwon. 
 
"Nothing," I said as I tried to put on a fake smile, failing in the end. 
 
"There is something wrong, Key," said Woohyun. "I'm your best friend. Of course I would notice."
 
I shook my head. "It's nothing guys. I'm fine. I'm just....missing the boys is all." I couldn't tell them I was missing Minho because I really couldn't take another lecture from them about enjoying the moment. 
 
"Aww," said Kwon as he rubbed my lower back, "It's gonna be ok. They're with your mom now, so you know they'll be fine."
 
I nodded before an idea quickly popped in my head. "Hey, can I hold my phone really quick. I just want to check up on them."
 
"But it'll 12:46. Shouldn't they be sleep?"
 
"On a weekend in the summer? Oh, you're funny. But I really want to hear their voices right now. So can I get my phone?"
 
He narrowed his eyes, "Fine. But no sneaking to talk to Minho. Today is your day."
 
I nodded and smiled as my phone was passed to me. "Yeah, I know."
 
Then I stood up and walked to where the bathrooms were. Once inside, I checked my phone and saw that I had two missed calls and a text from Minho. 
 
From: Minho
Sent: 11:37
How are you holding up?
 
I smiled, wishing I could have replied when he sent it. Then, I decided to do what I've been wanting to do the whole time. I called him. 
 
Since it was so late, I wasn't expecting him to answer, especially with his party-crazed cousins who could party all night. 
 
However, once Minho did answer, I instantly brightened. 
 
"Hello?" He answered. 
 
"I miss you," I said cutting right to the chase. 
 
He chuckled. "I miss you too. I'm actually not supposed to be talking to you, but I couldn't resist."
 
"Well, at least you got to keep your phone. Kwon took mine so I couldn't talk to you."
 
"Ouch. That's harsh."
 
"It really is. I mean, I know he's trying to be a good friend and show me a good time, and I don't want him to think I don't appreciate what he's done for me, but this isn't me. I'm happy when I'm with you, not when I'm celebrating as if you don't exist."
 
"I understand. I've been stuck at this bar for about two hours as my cousins get completely faced and my teammates flirt with random people. It doesn't feel right spending the weekend before our wedding without you."
 
"I have a thought."
 
"What?"
 
"Let's ditch." He burst out laughing. That laugh that made me miss him even more. "I'm being serious. Let's meet somewhere like the Han river or the movies or even McDonald's! I don't care. I just want to be with you."
 
"It's a deal. First, I have to find out how to sneak out of hear then catch the bus."
 
"Oh, me too. Jokwon and Woohyun drove. Well, I still don't care. As long as I get to see you..."
 
He chuckled. "Oh, you and your plans. This makes me love you even more right now. I'll call you when I'm out, ok?"
 
"Ok. I love you."
 
"I love you too." Then he hung up. 
 
As I walked out of the bathroom door, I was met with Woohyun's presence. I was completely thrown off guard, but before I could say anything, he hugged me. 
 
"Go to him."
 
"Huh?"
 
"As I said earlier, we're best friends, and I can tell when something's bothering you. Just like I can tell when you're lying. Jokwon may have been easily fooled by your story, but I knew you were sad because of Minho. So, go to him. I'll cover for you."
 
I looked up at his face before smiling. "Really?"
 
He smiled back. "Really. I just make up some excuse like the boys got sick or something. Kwon's out dancing now, so it should be easy for you to sneak out. Now, go have fun with your fiancé. I know you'll be happier with him."
 
I gave him a longing hug as I whispered, "Thank you."
 
"No problem."
 
Then, I was on my jolly way. It didn't take as much sneaking as I thought to get out of the club. 
 
As I walked to the bus stop, I got a text from Minho. 
 
From: Minho
Sent: 1:27
Can't talk because I'm on the subway now. But what about that McDonald's you mentioned??
 
I giggled. Honestly, I didn't care where we met as long as I got to see him. 
 
To: Minho 
Sent: 1:28
Greasy fast food it is :) 🍟🍔
 
Soon enough, the bus arrived and took me to a location that was walking distance from McDonald's. It seemed as if every step I took sent an electric shock of excitement the closer and closer I got to the restaurant. I've never imagined I would be thanking Ronald McDonald this very moment. 
 
When I opened the doors and walked in, I spotted my tall handsome fiancé sitting at a table in the back. As much as I wanted to run to him, I didn't want to draw attention to us, so I walked those painfully slow steps towards Minho before he recognized me. 
 
When he did, a smile spread across his  face, as did mine, and he got up and hugged me with joy. I wrapped my arms around his neck, hugging him and accepting anything and everything that is Choi Minho. 
 
"I've missed you," he whispered into my ear as his head was in the crook of my neck. 
 
"Me too," I whispered back. "It feels like I haven't seen you in months."
 
He pulled back and smiled in my face. "But we're here now, and that's all that matters." He looked towards the front at the counter. "You want to get something to eat now?"
 
I nodded and walked with him to the counter. He order two cheeseburger meals, surprising me when he told that cashier we would have it to-go. 
 
As we waited on our food, I said, "I thought we were eating here."
 
He smiled, "I want to take you to the Han river with our greasy fast food."
 
And at that moment, I felt a deep appreciation for Minho. Not like I haven't appreciated him already, but this moment will be one that will always stick with me. 
 
I smiled back at him, "I'd like that." Then we heard our ticket number and grabbed the bags before going to make our drinks and leaving. 
 
We decided to walk to the Han river since the McDonald's we went to was close enough. We talked comfortably on our way there. 
 
"So how did you escape," he asked as he snuck a couple of fries. 
 
I chuckled as I said, "I lied and said I had to call my mom. Then Woohyun helped me out by saying one of the boys were sick."
 
"Wow," he blinked, "Your plan was so much more better than mine."
 
I snickered. "What was yours?"
 
"I just told them I had diarrhea and ran out of the bar."
 
I burst out laughing instantly at diarrhea. Oh, this man I love. What am I going to do with him?
 
"Come on~," he groaned. "It took me some time to think of that."
 
"What? Like two seconds?" I was laughing my off. Minho is just too funny sometimes. 
 
"No! Ten minutes actually."
 
I wiped my eyes as I calmed down. "Honey, you're hilarious. All you had to do was say something like you had to go to the bathroom then sneak out."
 
He chuckled. "Well, I didn't have your intellectual brain with me to think of something like that."
 
I pecked his cheek. "Yeah, well at least we're together now."
 
Within a few more minutes, we were at the river. We sat on the grass near the water, eating our greasy food of goodness as we looked up at the stars. 
 
It felt nice being able to be out in the public at such a time and not have to worry about the paparazzi or crazy fans or etc. I could finally enjoy some alone time with Minho and that's all that matters. 
 
"Thanks for ditching your party for me," I said after awhile of us staring up at the stars. 
 
Minho wrapped a gentle arm around my waste. "I would do it all over again in a heartbeat."
 
I spoke honestly, "I really want our wedding day to hurry. I'm ready to be married to you. You're such an amazing guy and I'm so happy that I found you."
 
"Me too. You deserve all the happiness in the world and I want to give it to you."
 
I don't know if it was because of the scenery or because of how late it was, but I was becoming very emotional and I just really wanted Minho to know how much I loved him. 
 
"You mean so much to me, Minho. You're kind, considerate, passionate, and so much more. You've done so many things for me," I became choked up, "I owe you a lifetime of love to repay you. You have no idea how grateful I am of you. Thank you for putting up with me and my crazy family." A single tear ran down my cheek. 
 
Minh smiled as he wiped it away. "Hey, let's no cry, ok? I love you too, baby. I love you, the boys, your family, and this crazy life we have together. There's no way I would change this or anything about you. I love you just the way you are."
 
I sniffed before he kissed me. A sweet simple kiss under the stars, yet it spoke wonders. This is the man I want to spend the rest of my life with. 
 
When we pulled away, I giggled causing him to raise a brow out of curiosity. "You taste like mustard."
 
He chuckled. "And you taste like ketchup. See, we're a perfect match."
 
That, I can't argue with. 

Woo! I came back with fluff! I hope you guys have enjoyed. The wedding is coming soon. Who's excited?! I know the happy couple is. 

Please leave comments as I go work on this research paper :'(

^.~