Invitations

My Perfect Stranger

 tumblr_mm6yluc5eO1qap0qco1_r1_250.gif


For the next few months, our priority was the big move. We didn't start packing boxes yet because we didn't want the boys to get emotional again, but me and Minho called schools to get them registered, we had to file paperwork, switch bank locations, change the address in any online accounts, etc. We did this all while trying to dodge the media, who seemed to be catching on. 

We were so busy and caught up, that the planning of our wedding totally slipped my mind. I wasn't reminded until my old friend Jokwon decided to call me out to lunch. 
 
"Soo~," he dragged with a mischievous grin on his face. 
 
"Soo what?"
 
"The wedding? How's it planning out?"
 
I sighed. "We haven't planned at all."
 
He gasped. "It's been almost four months since he's proposed. Come on, Key! You don't want to be like those lame boring couples who wait years after an engagement to finally have a ceremony."
 
I shrugged. "What if I do want to wait?"
 
He raised his brows. "You're not making sense right now. Me and Seulong got married at least three months after our engagement."
 
"I'm just really tired and busy, Kwon. You had a team to help plan yours. That's why it happened so quickly. I don't have anyone and I don't have time to be stressed out. I'm already stressed enough over the move. So maybe after we're done moving?"
 
He shook his head defiantly. "No. My friend, I know you very well, and I know you're not the type of person to wait to get things done. I understand that you're busy, so here's my offer. Let me plan your wedding!"
 
I shook my head in refusal. "I couldn't possibly put the type of load on you-"
 
"It's fine. You helped me plan my fashion show, Key. I'm just returning the favor. You deserve it anyway. You're a great person."
 
I smiled. "Thanks, Kwon. So how much do you want for it?"
 
"No, no, no. I'm doing it free of charge. AND I don't want to hear a peep out of you, sir!"
 
I chuckled. "You're crazy to be doing this."
 
"So I've been told. Anyway, I'll have my team help out since they did such a great job with my wedding."
 
"Yeah, they surely did. But before we start planning, I need to ask Minho what type of wedding he'd want. You know, big or small."
 
He smacked his lips. "Key, you've got it all wrong. You're the bride, well technically groom since we're men, but you get the gist. Anyway, the bride runs the wedding. He or she calls the shots. Minho basically worships the ground you walk on. I'm sure he would be behind any decision you have."
 
I smirked. "I don't know. It did take him some convincing to finally buy the house I wanted-"
 
"But he did it, right? See that's what I'm talking about. Key, you have power, and I feel like you've forgotten that because of everything that's been happened to you with the media. But you're a conqueror. You survived. Now it's time for you to be awarded the way you should with this wedding. Time to get your y back!"
 
I burst out laughing. "I never lost it."
 
He smiled encouragingly. "There we go, Key! That's the confidence I want to see. Now, the wedding. Do you want it to be big, small, medium, or just have it at the courthouse?"
 
I raised a brow. "Ok, hell no to the last one and no to the first one. I don't know about a small or medium wedding. We don't have lots of friends, but minho's family is huge. Most of them stay out of town, but I met them once. Trust me, it's a lot. Plus he may want to invite his teammates."
 
He nodded. "Sounds like medium will be good enough. Let's talk about bridesmaids, but in this case, groomsmaids."
 
"Groomsmaids?"
 
"Just go with it."
 
"Ok, well I don't have many friends that are girls-
 
"Oh, the wedding doesn't have to be traditional. You can mix genders."
 
"Hmm. Well, I know I would want you, woohyun, Seulong, um, I really don't know."
 
"That's ok. It's a start. We'll build around it. Do you know who Minho would want as his groomsmen?"
 
"I know for sure that his coach and a few teammates will be his choice. Also, one of his cousins that he's close to. I forgot his name."
 
He nodded and wrote some things down. "Do you want your boys in the wedding?"
 
"Most definitely! There's no way I can leave them out."
 
"Ok. They can be the ring bearers. It would be so cute to see them in their little tuxes."
 
I smiled. "Yeah, you're right. I may just start crying before the actual ceremony."
 
"So who'll be the flower girl?"
 
"Minho's aunt has a little girl. We can use her. I know she wouldn't mind."
 
"Ok, so let's talk about venues. Would you want it open or closed? Inside or outside?"
 
"I would say outside, but then I would have to hope the weather's great that day, so no. I'll do it inside, but I want a place with large windows so we can have a nice view."
 
He nodded. "Sounds good to me. So far, I have enough information to get started. We'll start talking about dates and invitations as we get further along. Everything else will be a surprise. Any questions?"
 
"Yeah. How did I find such a great friend like you?"
 
"Awww, don't make me cry." We stood up and hugged each other. 
 
"Thank you so much, Kwon. I don't know what I would do without you."
 
"You deserve it and you're welcome."
 
"Well, I need to get going now. I have to help Minho with Jongin's sleep over."
 
"They're having a lot of those lately."
 
"Yeah. They're taking turns bringing their friends over. We promised it to them before we move. We want them to see their friends as much as possible."
 
"Aww. Well, I'll stop holding you up and let you get back to your man."
 
I chuckled and hugged him. "Yeah, get back to yours too." We then said goodbye and parted ways. 
 
I arrived to a chaotic home with kids running around in the living room screaming while Minho sat on the couch with earphones in. 
 
"Yah!" I yelled to get their attention. "No running in the house." They nodded and decided to go upstairs. 
 
I walked to Minho and tapped on his shoulder. He slowly looked up while taking out his earphones. 
 
I smiled before saying, "This is not what I meant when I said watch the kids while I'm gone."
 
He chuckled. "It's six of them. This is my best way to cope." I sat next to him and he draped an arm around my shoulders. "Where are you coming from?"
 
"Oh, nowhere. Just discussing wedding plans-"
 
"Wedding plans?"
 
"Yeah. Jokwon convinced me to let him plan our wedding. Since we're so busy and all with moving, I couldn't pass up his offer."
 
He nodded. "I agree. I hate when you stress yourself out. Planning the wedding would've added to your troubles. And we all know how destructible you are when you're stressed."
 
I burst out laughing. "Destructible?! You make it seem like I'm a bomb or something."
 
"That's what it feels like! Even the boys know to leave you alone when you're in your moods. Let's just face it. You don't handle stress well."
 
I whined, "Hey~, I handle it the best way I can."
 
He pecked my lips. "I know, baby. I'm just glad that there's someone else to help you out."
 
"Yeah you're right."
 
"Oh! I forgot," he suddenly hopped up and headed to the kitchen. Then he came back with an envelope in his hand. "Someone sent you a letter earlier today."
 
He handed me the envelope and I immediately recognized who it was from. "It's Jonghyun," I whispered. 
 
Minho paused before saying, "I'll give you some time alone. I'm going upstairs to make sure the kids aren't killing each other." Then he disappeared upstairs. 
 
I slowly opened the envelope and took out the letter. I unfolded it, revealing Jonghyun's handwriting. 
 
Dear Kibum,
 
Congratulations! I heard about the proposal. I couldn't be happier for you. Honestly. I'm glad someone is able to treat you better than I was able to. I wish for nothing, but success for the two of you. 
 
I don't know if I'll be out by the time you have your wedding, but it's ok if you don't want me involved. I completely understand. I wouldn't mind being there, but I probably wouldn't let myself come neither if I were you. I just want to see you happy. 
 
I have great news though. My sentencing was shortened again. I've served 9 months of my year and a half sentence without causing trouble, so I was told that I would be let out when I've been here for a year. That's about three months away. You have no idea how happy I am. I can't wait to see the boys. I know they'll be excited. But try to keep it a secret from them. I want to surprise them one day. 
 
Anyway, congrats again. I hope I'll be there to witness it. Tell Taemin and Jongin I love them and can't wait to see them. 
 
Until we meet again, 
 
Jonghyun. 
 
I was at a loss for words. I mean, I was happy that things were going well for him, but I was contemplating on whether he should be invited to the wedding. That would surely turn heads. 
 
On one note, Jonghyun's family. As messed up as this family may seem, he's a part of it. It would be wrong of me not to include him. 
 
However, most of my family, especially my dad, hate him with a passion. I'm pretty sure if my dad saw him, he'd cause a scene and I really don't want to deal with that. 
 
But then again, it's me and Minho's wedding, not my dad's. I guess I'll consult with Minho first. 
 
I headed upstairs to find him. I went to the boys room and saw him on the ground with six boys tackling him. I couldn't help but smile. 
 
"Umma," said Taemin, "help us beat Minho! He's the enemy!"
 
I played along. "Oh really? Well I'll take him off your hands and put him in jail. Will you guys like that?"
 
They all screamed, "Yes!" Jongin held Minho's hands behind his back as the kids walked Minho closer to me. 
 
I chuckled. "To jail you go, mister!"
 
He turned to the kids. "I would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for you rotten kids!" They all burst into fits of laughter. 
 
Me and Minho exited the room and closed the door. 
 
"Having fun?" I teased.  
 
"Actually I was." We walked to my bedroom and sat on my bed. 
 
"Um, I need to talk to you about something."
 
"Uh oh. Is everything ok?"
 
"Yeah. Everything's fine. It's about the wedding."
 
"Oh, what about it?"
 
"Um....uh....ok. So, how would you feel if I invited Jonghyun?"
 
He let it sink in before furrowing his brows. "You're honestly thinking about inviting him?"
 
"Well....yeah. I mean, he wants to come. And he's a part of my family, wanted or unwanted. I feel like it'll be more of a peace offering by inviting him."
 
"Or he could be using this as a chance to strike again."
 
I shook my head. "I don't think so."
 
"Why not?"
 
"I think he's had enough time to realize his mistakes in life. He said he just wants to see me happy. He even respects you for taking care of me."
 
"Listen, it's not that I don't believe those things, because I do, but I can never fully trust this guy. And it really worries me how gullible you are at times when it comes to him."
 
"I'm not being gullible. I'm being reasonable."
 
"And what about your dad?"
 
"Honey, it's our wedding. Not his. He'll just have to deal with it." He sighed heavily. "Honey, are you mad?"
 
"Not mad, just frustrated. I'm not even frustrated about you wanting him to come to the wedding. I'm frustrated at the fact that you've already had your mind made up. No matter how much I try to defend the reason why he shouldn't be invited, you always have some sort of rebuttal. Key, a marriage is about give and take. You can't come in here and say you want my opinion, when my opinion really doesn't matter to you."
 
"That's not true-"
 
"Oh, really? Prove it then. Don't invite Jonghyun to the wedding. If my opinion really matters to you, you would have no problem telling him he's not invited."
 
Ok. Now I was getting frustrated. "Yah, you're not even making sense. You're being a hypocrite! By making me choose, now you're saying my opinion doesn't matter."
 
"But it does matter. It mattered when we decided to move, it mattered when we bought the house, it mattered when you decided to invite Jonghyun to our wedding."
 
"I didn't even make up my mind yet-"
 
"Oh, quite the contrary. Your mind was already made up the moment you opened your mouth to ask me that question. Now, my mind is made up as well. Invite him to the wedding, then there won't be a wedding. That's final." Then he abruptly stood up and left my room. 
 
I quickly followed him downstairs into the living room. "You're being childish! You can't possibly be serious!"
 
"But I am! It seems like no matter what I do, he always seems to find a way in it somehow. All I wanted was a simple wedding with our new family. Not a remnant of the past. And what's more upsetting is the fact that you don't even see it. Key, I let you have anything and everything you want, but when I ask for this one thing, it's a problem."
 
"No!" My voice trembled. "The problem is you're giving me an ultimatum between him and my wedding, and I don't like that. Yes, I agree that I don't do as much as you do for me, and I apologize for that, but I would never ever make you choose between someone you care about and our wedding."
 
"Key, I've been second to him for far too long-"
 
"That's the problem!" I yelled exasperatedly. "You keep thinking I'm putting you second to him, but I'm not. Yes, I still care about him because we've been through a lot and we share kids together. That doesn't mean I love you any less. I thought you would've known this by now. But, I guess not," tears pooled at my eyes. 
 
He sighed before pulling me into a hug. "You really do know how to make me feel ty don't you?"
 
I sniffed, wiping away my tears. "It's your fault. You act so insecure sometimes. I thought we were both past this hatred towards Jonghyun."
 
He pulled away and cupped my face, wiping away my tears with his thumbs. He whispered, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."
 
"How can you not mean to hurt me when you make me choose between my wedding? That really hurt, Minho."
 
He looked down before resting his forehead against mine. "I wasn't thinking. I shouldn't have done that. You just need to understand where I'm coming from. Like I said before, I'm not really mad at the thought of him being at the wedding. I'm mad that you always seem to make up your mind about things without hearing from me."
 
I whispered, "I'm sorry, honey. I really am. You must think that I'll be a horrible spouse now."
 
He quickly shushed me. "I would never think anything like that." He grabbed my hands and continued. "Key, I proposed to you for a reason. You're everything I want. A relationship isn't perfect and I'm sure this won't be our last fight, but please, don't give up. We have to stick together and learn how to work out our problems. I love you, Kibum."
 
I smiled a little. "I love you too, honey."
 
He sighed again. "As for Jonghyun, I don't mind him being at the wedding. Just please make sure he's there with good intentions. Can you do that for me?"
 
I nodded. "Of course. And again, I'm sorry."
 
He gave a long lingering kiss. "It's ok. Let's just forget about it. I'm fine with it. Your dad on the other hand...."
 
I chuckled. "Yeah, I know. I'll deal with him later. Maybe I'll just wait for him to find out at the wedding."
 
He gave me a dull face. "Really?"
 
"Ok, maybe a few minutes before the wedding starts? Hey, that's better than nothing."
 
He burst out laughing. "Sure, as long as you're the one telling him. Not me."
 
"Scaredy cat."

Another speedy update! At least I think...  I haven't been keeping up with time ^^. Anyway,  hope you guys enjoyed. I'm honestly just stalling until I can get all of my ideas together for the end of the story. ^.~