Heart to Heart

My Perfect Stranger

tumblr_nsl9o5cq8w1r99c4io2_250.gif


That morning, my moment of bliss and ecstasy was soon interrupted by the tiny voices of my two little boys entering the home. I tried to ignore it, but soon, my both of my parents burst in my room. 

"Sorry, it's early, Kibum. I brought the kids bac--- oh!" My mom exclaimed when she noticed Minho still sleeping next to me. It took both of my parents a while to register what exactly happened. 
 
Both of them had a sly look on their faces and I felt so embarrassed. Dad said, "Honey, I think we interrupted something."
 
I groaned and blushed. "Appa! You guys didn't interrupt anything. Anyway, Thanks for keeping the boys last night."
 
"No problem. Just a question though. What exactly did you need us to keep them for again? I mean, by the looks of it, you had company last night."
 
My eyes widened and I threw a pillow at him as he laughed. "Appa! You're so embarrassing!"
 
Minho stirred awake next to me because of the noise. He didn't notice my parents as he said to me, "Good morning."
 
Before I could say it back, my parents made themselves known by shouting, "Good morning!"
 
Minho's head snapped up and his eyes widened as he took in the situation. "Oh! Mr. and Mrs. Kim! Um.....hi? Sir, I know this looks bad, but-"
 
My dad silenced him by chuckling and holding up a hand. "No need to explain. It's rude of us to just come in here without invitations. You're adults. You don't owe me an explanation."
 
At that, I heard the boys running towards my room. Oh, boy. 
 
Before they could make it in, my dad grabbed each of them by the shoulders and whispered, "Shh. It's still morning. Your umma is sleeping. He'll be up soon ok? How about you be good boys until he gets out of bed?"  They nodded then I heard their footsteps going another direction. 
 
I sighed in relief. "Thanks, Appa."
 
He smiled. "No problem. But I do need you to get up soon. I need to talk to you. Father to son."
 
I internally groaned. I knew it was going to be about Minho. But I just nodded. "Ok, I'll be up soon."
 
"We'll be downstairs. Nice seeing Minho-ssi," he waved as they left and closed the door. 
 
Once they were an earshot away, I whined. "Omg, that was so ing embarrassing!"
 
Minho agreed. "You think he knew we were under the covers."
 
"Well, based on the number of visible love bites I have, I'd say that's all he needed to see to know what happened last night."
 
Minho rubbed his hands over his face in frustration. "Wow. This is so weird. Oh man, now your dad might think I'm a man- or something!"
 
I chuckled. "My dad likes you. You're not the one who needs to be freaking out right now."
 
"It's still embarrassing to get caught, even if it was after we did everything. It just feels awkward."
 
"I know what you mean. Well, it's time to get up and face the music. I guess while I'm talking with my dad, you can play with the boys. It'll take your mind off of what just happened."
 
He sighed. "I guess you're right. We need to take a shower though."
 
"Right."
 
We decided to take one together. As as that sounded, we chose not to get freaky because it was already weird having my parents in the house. So we wasted no time getting ready. Minho borrowed a pair of my loosest basketball shorts and the biggest sweatshirt I could find. Luckily, he didn't look too awkward. 
 
I quickly changed into some jeans and a long sleeved shirt to hide some of the marks Minho left on me, though about two were visible on my neck. This was going to be quite the talk with my dad. 
 
Once we were done, we kissed each other quickly on the lips before heading out of my bedroom door. 
 
Minho walked to the boys' room while I walked downstairs. My mom was in the kitchen cooking breakfast for everyone. I saw my dad on the balcony looking at the view of Seoul and I decided to join him. 
 
I slipped in pass the sliding door and closed it shut. "Hey, Appa."
 
He turned around with a smile on his face. "Nice of you to join me, son."
 
I smiled back. "Yeah..." I stood next to him overlooking the view. 
 
"You know, I've never realized how convenient your apartment is. It provides such a great view."
 
"Yeah. I often come out here sometimes to enjoy it. It's best at night though because of all of the lights from the buildings."
 
"Right. I bet you get a lot of time to think with such a beautiful view in front of you."
 
"Appa, where are you going with this?"
 
He sighed. "I've just been thinking a lot lately. How have you been?"
 
I inhaled and exhaled dramatically. "I've had better days, but then again, I've had worse days. I'll be ok. Why?"
 
He furrowed his eyebrows as he stared in front of him. "It's just, a lot has been happening lately to you. From Jonghyun, to the boys, to rumors, and even Nicole. It has me worried about you."
 
"Appa, you shouldn't worry. You've raised a strong boy. I can handle myself."
 
He looked at me. "How am I supposed to know that, Kibum? You don't tell me anything."
 
"Well, it's because I don't want to worry you."
 
"It's the complete opposite. You do actually worry me by doing that. I have to find out through the news and different media outlets about what's going on with my own son. I don't like that, Kibum."
 
I looked down. The guilt was hitting me fast and hard. "I'm sorry. I didn't know you felt that way. I've just been so busy lately and I really didn't feel like bringing it up."
 
He sighed. "Just think about it this way. If me and your mom decided to get a divorce, how would you want to find out? Through the media or from us telling you ourselves?"
 
I nodded. "I see what you mean. I'm sorry."
 
"I accept your apology, son. I'm your dad. I just want to be able to protect you. You know that right?" I nodded. "Speaking of all this craziness, what's going on with Jonghyun?"
 
"He leaves for jail in a couple of days. They're sending him to one way out of town. He wants me and the boys to go see him before he leaves."
 
"Do you think that will be a good idea considering his track record? Do you even think he deserves the right to see you all before he leaves?" I could tell he was getting riled up. 
 
"Appa, you have to put your negative feelings aside and see that it would be unfair to the boys if they couldn't see their father for one last time. I mean, I still don't know how long Jonghyun's sentencing is. What if it's years? If my boys went years without their father, they really could have cherished that last time they got to see him. Plus, though I know you hate him, Jonghyun helped create them too. He has every right to see them."
 
"Damn, why do you have to be right," he chuckled. "I just can't stand him. I still can't see what made you keep going back to him. But, I'm glad things are finally being settled."
 
"Yeah..."
 
My dad quirked a curious eyebrow. "Wait... do you still have feelings towards him?"
 
I sighed. "Not really romantic feelings. I'm just really attached to him. I believe our kids play a part in that. It's just, he was my first everything, Appa. I can't just let that go."
 
"But what about Minho?"
 
I grinned. "Minho's different. Minho's the future. He's a sign of hope. He's the hint that life gets better. I will always be grateful that he's come into my life."
 
My dad smiled. "This is actually what I wanted to talk to you about. You and Minho seem to have gotten close these past months. And obviously from the marks on your neck, I'm not wrong." I shrieked and covered my neck with my hand. "I just want to know, where do you see yourself with him? What do you want out of this?"
 
"Well......maybe in a few years....I can see myself actually marrying him." The thought brought a smile to my face. 
 
My dad lifted his brows in surprise. "Oh, really?"
 
"Yeah. Appa, before Minho came around, I'd been single for years. I focused on getting a career and providing for Jongin and Taemin. So I didn't really have time for a relationship. But when Minho came along, I felt as if I not only found a lover, but a friend. Minho's someone I can confide in about anything. There are no secrets between us. I can't help but feel like....he's the one." I blushed as I told my dad this. We didn't usually talk about my love life. 
 
He had a big smile on his face. "It really warms my heart to know that you've found someone that makes you feel this way. I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical at first because pro athletes are known to be a bit promiscuous. I was worried that you'd end up with a broken heart all over again. But now, he's proved to me that he would never do that. I think you made the right choice in dating him, Kibum."
 
I was grinning from ear to ear. "So do I."
 
"I'm glad that you feel this comfortable with me now that you can tell me things like this. This is what I want more often between us. Communication. Ok?"
 
I nodded. "I agree, Appa."
 
"Good. So~, tell me. How love have you two been ual?"
 
My eyes widened in horror. "Appa! Why would you want to know that?!" My face flushed in embarrassment. 
 
He burst out laughing. "Hey, just a question."
 
I groaned. "To answer your question, last night was our first time have with each other, ok? I mean, we messed around before, but it didn't lead to much. There. Happy?"
 
"Ecstatic! Oh, Kibum, I see a bright future ahead of us."
 
I scoffed. "Yeah as long as it doesn't involve my life."
 
"Did he use a ?"
 
I face palmed myself and contemplated jumping off the ledge to escape the embarrassment. I huffed. "Yes, Appa. He used a . Anymore questions to satisfy your curious heart," I asked sarcastically. 
 
He chuckled. "No, that's it. But on a serious note, I asked that question to make sure you won't be having any surprise pop-ups anytime soon. I remember how hard you struggled to raise one baby, then another. I wouldn't want you suffering again. I know part of it was my fault for kicking you out, and I'm sorry for that. But just to let you know, I would help you out if I had to, ok? But please, for the time being, stay protected. Can you promise me that?"
 
The sincerity in his voice tugged at my heart strings. I held out my pinky and wrapped it around his. "Pinky promise."
 
He grinned then pulled me into a hug. "I love you, son."
 
I tightened our hug. "I love you too, Appa."
 
I felt even closer to him after our awkward emotional talk. It was great to finally let some of my feelings out and hear how he feels as well. 
 
"Oh!" He said and pulled away as if he just remembered something important. "You remember your old friend you had in elementary? You guys were practically inseparable."
 
I dug in my mind a bit before replying, "Woohyun? Yeah, why?"
 
"Well, his mother contacted me randomly and said that he's been trying to get in touch with you lately. I wasn't sure about giving her your number without your permission."
 
Nam Woohyun? We basically grew up together before his family moved to another city 5th grade. Our parents were friends, we went to the same pre school and elementary, and we always had play dates. I haven't heard from him since he moved because at our age, kids didn't really have cell phones. We lost contact for so long. I wonder what he's up too. There's only one way to find out. 
 
"Appa, give her my number and tell her to give me Woohyun's. I can't believe this! This is actually exciting and weird. I hope he's still the same old Nam."
 
He chuckled. "I'm sure he is. His mom used to give me updates on him at different times. He's doing well. But I guess he'll get the chance to tell you that himself whenever you guys meet."
 
"Yeah. That'll be cool." 
 
Then there was a knocked on the sliding door and we turned around to see it was my mom. "Breakfast is ready, sweethearts."
 
We walked inside of the house and into the kitchen. Minho was sitting there with the boys sitting opposite of him. 
 
"Umma!" They both exclaimed when I walked in. 
 
"Hey, babies!" I hugged them both and attacked them with kisses. Then I walked to the empty seat next to Minho. 
 
My parents sat at the ends of the table. Then we prayed over our food and dug in. I believe if it wasn't for the boys being there, my dad would have said something ually uncomfortable about what happened with me and Minho. Thankfully he didn't. 
 
Mom got my attention. "Kibum, did your father tell you about your old friend Woohyun?"
 
I nodded. "Neh, umma."
 
"He's moving to Seoul soon and wanted to check out some places. I recommended your apartment complex so who knows? You two could be neighbors!" 
 
I smiled. "Yeah, that could be fun. It's been years since I've seen or talked to him."
 
"Who's Woohyun," asked Minho. 
 
"Oh, honey, he's an old friend of mine that I knew as a kid. The last time I saw him was when I was in the 5th grade. Needless to say, we have a lot of catching up to do. Would you like to meet him?"
 
"Sure if you're comfortable with that."
 
I nodded. "Sure."
 
Jongin intervened, "Umma has a friend?"
 
I smiled. "Yes, sweetie. I have a friend."
 
Taemin asked. "Does Appa have a friend?" Before I could answer, he asked another question that caught me off guard. "When are we going to see Appa? I miss staying at his house because he has a pool. Umma, you should get a pool!"
 
I looked at Minho and to my dad awkwardly. The pink elephant in the room was brought up once again. I tried to avoid it.  "Taeminnie, there's a pool downstairs near the lobby. And I can't fit a pool in here."
 
He whined. "But Appa has his own pool. Umma, why can't we go see Appa now? We used to always see him. Now we don't. We miss him."
 
I sighed. I knew this was about to turn into a temper tantrum. "Baby, I already told you that your Appa is very busy right now. He's facing some important decisions."
 
He threw his fork down. "No! I wanna see Appa now!"
 
"You are ten years old. Act like it. Big boys don't cry, remember? You'll see your Appa soon enough."
 
He shook his head and kicked his feet as he whined. "No!" He cried as he threw his cup on the floor. 
 
I lost my patience. I got up and walked to Taemin's side of the table crouched down to his level. "Young man! What has gotten into you?! This is not how big boys behave."
 
"I don't care!"
 
I gripped his arm firmly. "Get your act together right now. Do you hear me?! Now clean up your mess and go to you room. Now."
 
He huffed and grabbed his plate and cup that he threw. He put it in the sink then ran upstairs. 
 
I stood up and sat back down in my seat, letting out a frustrated sigh. Jongin sat there surprised at his brother's outburst. I wondered why Taemin couldn't just be as calm as Jongin.
 
"Jonginnie, go upstairs and make sure your brother's ok. I'll put up your food."
 
"Neh, umma." He got down from his chair and ran upstairs. 
 
Once he was out of sight, my dad cleared his throat. "So how often does this happen?"
 
I stared at the table. "It doesn't. Taemin's usually well-behaved. He's asked about Jonghyun before, but it's never led to something like this."
 
"Does he have a clear understanding of what's going on?"
 
I put my face in my hands as I felt tears pooling. "I don't know. I thought I gave him a good understanding of it the other day, but I guess not." My voice cracked and I felt Minho put his arm around me. "This is exactly why I was so against sending Jonghyun to jail. Because in the end, my boys will be the ones suffering in the long run." I buried my face in the crook of Minho's chest as I cried. 
 
"Oh, sweetie," I heard my mom sat sympathetically.
 
"Taemin needs a good spanking," said my dad. 
 
I quickly looked at him with watery eyes. "No, Appa. Taemin has every right to be upset, just maybe not the way he lashed out, but he has a right. He misses his father and there's nothing I can do about it. They'll see Jonghyun in a couple of days and then what? Behind a glass? I don't want my boys seeing their dad in jail. I just feel so horrible." I got up from my chair. "I need a minute." I headed back to the balcony looking at the view of Seoul as more tears released. 
 
A few moments later, I heard the door sliding open. I didn't have to guess who it was when I felt his arms wrap around me comfortingly. Minho always had a way comforting me. 
 
"Are you ok?"
 
I turned around in his arms. I sniffed. "I'm just really upset. I don't want my boys being mad at me, but it's not like I can just reverse everything that happened. I feel like they'll never truly understand what's going on."
 
Minho placed his hands on my cheeks and wipe away my tears. "Listen. Everything happens for a reason right?" I nodded. "Jonghyun has to learn sooner or later that his actions have consequences. If jail is what it takes then so be it. The boys will understand sooner or later, ok? They will. They just need time, Key."
 
I sniffed again. "I know, but it's still so hard. I have stress from work, then from the media, then Jonghyun, now the kids. I just don't know what to do anymore."
 
He kissed my forehead. "Hey, just take it easy. Take things one day at a time. Always remember that I'm here. Taemin's a kid. Kids have temper tantrums sometimes. Even some teens do. It's all apart of growing up. I say just give him his space then speak to him later about it."
 
I nodded. "You're right."
 
He pecked my lips. "Now let's go and finish our cold breakfast."
 
I chuckled a bit. "Ok."
 
We headed back to the dining table ate with my parents. We changed the conversation to something lighter until we finished eating. My mom and dad left after giving me and Minho hugs and promising to come over more often. 
 
Minho had to leave not too long after that to go to soccer practice. I busied myself the whole day with cleaning. I washed dishes, cleaned the living room, washed clothes, folded clothes, vacuumed, dusted, etc. 
 
It was some time in the evening that I decided to check up on Taemin. I slowly opened his door and found him sleeping on his bed. Jongin was on his own bed drawing. 
 
I softly sat on Taemin's bed and petted his hair. I kissed his forehead and smiled when he opened his eyes. "Umma?"
 
"Hey. Are you still mad at me?"
 
He shook his head. "No."
 
"Do you want to talk about it?" He shrugged his shoulders and I sighed. "Baby, I love you with all of my heart, but there are just some things that you're not able to comprehend yet. You have to understand that your Appa loved you as well. But he's going through some really serious adult problems."
 
"Is it really bad?"
 
I nodded. "Yes. It's things that kids aren't supposed to understand. You get that right?"
 
"I guess. So when will I get to see him?"
 
"In about two days. But after that, it may be awhile."
 
"Because of his adult problems?"
 
I smiled slightly. "Yes, baby. Because of his adult problems. Just know that your Appa will be fine and you guys are always in his heart."
 
"Ok. And I'm sorry, Umma, for acting out. I didn't mean to."
 
"It's ok. Let's just move on from it."
 
"Ok." I gave him a big hug and Jongin ran over to join. 
 
Sometimes, these were the moments that made living worth while. Just me and my boys. 

Sadly, school has resumed for me :( Anyway, I hope my inspiration remains so i can keep you updated and entertained. Please leave comments  ^.~