Talks

My Perfect Stranger

d2b1578e039bd428fbdc71c2d8a6ec481a98a1c9


I was on the set of Inkigayo, styling different artists, when one of my assistants came into the room with the work phone in her hand. 
 
"Hey, Key. Your fiancé is on the phone." Oh, how I love the sound of that. 
 
"Ok, thanks," I said as I took the phone from her and she exited. "Hello?"
 
"Hey, baby."
 
That instantly brought a smile to my face. "Hey, what's up?"
 
"Are you busy now?"
 
"Yeah. I'm about to start applying makeup to one of the girl groups. Why?"
 
"Well, an old friend reached out to me today. She said she couldn't get in touch with you since you got a new number. She wants to meet up with you." An old friend?
 
"Um, do I know this old friend?"
 
"Yeah, but I think it'll be best if we talk about this at home."
 
"Ok, honey. I get off of work around 12 today. I don't have anywhere else to go."
 
"Ok. I didn't have to practice at the stadium today, so I'll be waiting with the boys."
 
I chuckled. "Don't have too much fun while I'm gone."
 
"I'll try not to. I love you."
 
My cheeks heated up because the girl group was looking at me and giggling while I talked to my love. "I love you too. Bye."
 
I put the phone down before going back to the last girl.
 
"Oppa," said Suzy, "was that your fiancé?"
 
I blushed and replied, "Yeah," as I applied foundation to her face. 
 
"How's it like being engaged?"
 
I smirked. "It's great. It seems as if everything is falling into place. I never thought something like this would happen to me."
 
"I used to always tell you that you would find your match. See, you should've listened!"
 
I chuckled. "Yeah, I should've." I applied concealer as I continued, "I can't wait to be married to him."
 
"Minho is a total heartthrob. Just about everyone is envious of you," she joked. 
 
I scoffed playfully. "I don't know why. He's not all that."
 
She smacked her lips. "Yeah, right. You know he's like Prince Charming." As I applied her eyeliner, she asked another question. "How's Jonghyun?" I paused, which caused her to panic. "I'm sorry! That's personal. I shouldn't have asked."
 
"No, it's fine. Jonghyun's....better now. I'm actually very proud of his progress. He'll be out of jail soon."
 
"And you're not scared? I heard about some of the crazy things he's done to you."
 
I sighed. "Yeah, I should be afraid, but oddly, I'm content. I feel like his sentencing made up for all of the wrong he's ever done."
 
She nodded slightly as I applied her lashes. "I understand, oppa. Even if I didn't, it's your business. I'm just glad that you're happy now. Jonghyun, too. I can tell he's a good person."
 
"He definitely is."
 
"Will he be at your wedding?"
 
I sighed again. "I decided not to invite him. It would just put a negative spin on things. My dad hates him and so does most of my family. I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable."
 
"Mm, that makes sense."
 
I applied the finishing touches before saying, "All done."
 
She looked in the mirror and smiled. "Perfect as always, oppa!" All of the girls thanked me as they walked out. 
 
I the television and watched as Woohyun hosted. He was being dorky as always, which made me laugh at times. 
 
Soon enough, it was time to head home so I could see what Minho was talking about. I was quite curious about this old friend. I mean, I had plenty of friends in high school so maybe it's one of them. Who knows?
 
I walked into my apartment in a great mood to see Minho. However, as soon as I entered the living room, my mood instantly turned sour. 
 
"What the hell is she doing here?" Nicole and Minho turned their heads at the sound of my voice. 
 
Minho rose from his seat and placed calming hands on my arms as he spoke. "Key, Nicole's here to speak with you about some things." He leaned forward and whispered, "I'm sorry. I didn't know that she was going to show up like this."
 
I glared at him. "How did she even get in touch with you?"
 
"She called me."
 
"I thought I told you to never talk to her again."
 
"And I didn't. But she kept calling and I didn't want to be rude-"
 
I spoke loud enough for her to here. "Rude? Rude is her showing up uninvited. Rude is her pretending to be my friend. Rude is her leaking my business to the media. That's what's really rude, Minho." 
 
Nicole rose from the couch, "Key-"
 
"Don't you dare take another step towards me. I have nothing to say to you."
 
I walked past the both of them before Minho grabbed my wrist to stop me. "Baby, at least here her out."
 
"Look, you can talk to her all you want. I don't care. You're a grown man, but I'm not going to take any part in this. Have fun chatting."
 
I stormed upstairs to my room. I sat on my bed and thought about what just happened. I couldn't believe Minho would even let her stay here until I arrived. What was he thinking? Didn't he know this was a bad idea? Even a blind mouse would know that. 
 
I'm proud of myself for not blowing up the way I really wanted to. Nicole should count herself lucky. I know it's not nice to hold grudges, but it's also not nice to betray your friends like she did. It really annoys me that Minho doesn't see it my way. 
 
Then there was a knock at my door. I internally groaned as the door opened. However, it revealed Taemin.
 
A smile instantly spread across my face. "Hey, baby."
 
"Hey, umma," he said solemnly. 
 
I patted the bed to let him know he can sit by me. "What's wrong?"
 
He sighed. "I know I've been acting ok about moving lately, but now I'm scared."
 
"Why are you scared?"
 
"Because I'm going to be in a new school all by myself. Jongin's not going to be there."
 
He poked his lip out and he looked so cute. I hugged him as I said, "Aww, sweetie. Why haven't you said anything about it before?"
 
He shrugged. "I didn't want to cause a problem."
 
"It wouldn't have caused a problem. I don't want you to be scared neither. You're an amazing child. I'm sure you'll make friends in no time. Also, you and your brother live together!" That caused him to laugh. "You're going to see him everyday, baby."
 
"I know, umma. It'll just be weird not having him around."
 
I kissed the top of his head. "I know. Just give it a shot."
 
Then there was a knock on the door again. I looked towards the door frame and saw Minho standing there. He sent a friendly smile towards Taemin. 
 
"Hey, bud. Can me and your umma talk?"
 
"Ooooh, umma's in trouble!"
 
I ruffled his hair. "Oh, hush!" Then he ran out to his room. Once I heard his door close, my eyes locked with Minho. 
 
"Key. Can you please come downstairs?"
 
"What for? I have no business with her ok? Minho, just please stop."
 
"But-"
 
"Why do you want me to talk to her so badly?"
 
"Because I know you still care about her. And she needs to ask you a question?"
 
"Why can't she ask you the question?"
 
"Because I know better than to answer that question without consulting you. Come on, baby. The sooner you go out there, the sooner it'll be over with."
 
I sighed. He was right about that, but I really didn't want to go out there. I decided to it up and go. "You owe me. Big time." He smiled before nodding. 
 
I walked ahead of him to the living room. We sat on the couch adjacent to the one Nicole was sitting on. 
 
She tried to make small talk. "I like what you've done with your hair. Black really suits you."
 
"Get to talking," I said as I crossed my arms. I didn't have time for games. 
 
She sighed and looked down at the floor. "Listen, I'm really sorry about what happened. I truly am."
 
"And I've forgiven you already. That doesn't mean I want you back in my life."
 
"I know...but.... I miss you. I miss your family. I miss the boys. I miss our friendship."
 
"You should've really thought about that before you turned your back on me." Minho wrapped an arm about me and gently rubbed my shoulders to calm me. 
 
"I know, I know. It's not something I'm proud of. I'm so sorry, Key."
 
"What did you really want to meet for?"
 
She sighed, "I want to be a part of your wedding. When I heard you two were engaged, I was so happy for you two. I couldn't believe that my best friend would finally get the happy ending he's been dreaming of. I'm so proud of you, Key. And I want to be there to share that special moment with you."
 
I just stared at her for a few seconds as I took in what she said. I didn't know what to say. "So you want an invite to the wedding?" She nodded with a smile. I gave it a thought before flatly saying, "No." 
 
She frowned. "Kibum, I said I was sorry-"
 
"And I said I forgive you, but that doesn't mean I want anything else to do with you. You hurt me to my core, Nicole. There's no coming back from what you did to me."
 
"Well.....when you think about it....it wasn't that bad-"
 
"Wasn't that bad?!" Minho placed his other hand on when knee when I leaned forward. 
 
"I mean, you're still doing well, you guys are getting married, you're making a good income-"
 
"And I also struggled my off to stay sane while I had to worry about work, kids, the media, and a backstabbing friend like you."
 
Minho interrupted, "Key-"
 
"No, Minho. I'm not just gonna sit here and act like everything's okay! Just because you're so good at keeping your cool, that doesn't mean I'm the same way."
 
He sighed, "I know, but she used to be our friend as well. Maybe try not to be so harsh."
 
I smacked my lips, "Who's side are you on?"
 
He rushed, "Yours, of course!"
 
"Then what do you suggest, huh? Do you want her at our wedding?" 
 
Minho looked towards Nicole who looked hopeful that he would say the right answer. Then he looked back at me before groaning and standing up. "I'm not a part of this. This is between the both of you. The only reason I let her stay is because I want you to have the proper closure that I know you don't have. I support any decision you make, just don't put me in this. I'll be upstairs."
 
"But-"
 
"Talk, Key. Not to me, but to her." Then he disappeared upstairs, leaving me with my ex-best friend.
 
We sat there in silence for what felt like at least five minutes before Nicole spoke shyly. 
 
"K-Key?......... I really am sorry."
 
I sighed as I pinched the bridge of my nose. "I get it already." There was another pause before I chuckled disdainfully. "All I wanted was to come home to my fiancé and kids after a long day of work and enjoy my time with them. Then, bam! You're here."
 
She hung her head low as I continued, talking more to myself. "Y'know, I always thought of what I would do if I ever saw you again. Yell, scream, fight, cry, or all of the above. But now that I look at you, I feel nothing but remorse and pity for you. I pity that you have such a nasty soul that you're willing to sell out your own best friend. I hope one day that you do some soul searching and find some people who will help you, because I'm done. When I move, I'll be leaving behind everything in my past, and that includes you."
 
Her voice quivered, "What? B-But we've been friends since elementary. I know what I did was horrible, but I want to show you how much I still care about you. I want to be there for you like I should've been lately."
 
"You want to know what you can do for me?" She nodded. "The best thing you can do for me is leave me alone, and I'm saying this as nice as I can, really."
 
She shed a few tears as she said, "So you really don't want me around anymore?"
 
"That's correct. This is it for us, Nicole."
 
"And Minho?"
 
"If he chooses to still communicate with you, then that's fine, but I don't want you to be associated with me anymore and I mean that." I looked at the clock and saw that it was 1:30. "I think it's time for you to leave now."
 
"Can I say goodbye to Minho?"
 
I rolled my eyes before calling his name, "Minho!" A few moments later, he was in the living room with us. 
 
"Yeah?"
 
"Nicole's leaving now.  She wants to say goodbye."
 
He turned to her as she stood and said, "I guess this is goodbye. I'll miss you. Both of you," she finished as she glanced my way."
 
Minho nodded. "I miss the old you. The person who would never do anything to personally hurt her friends."
 
"But it's not too late! I can show you-"
 
"I'm afraid it is."
 
"But.....does this mean you want nothing to do with me as well?"
 
He glanced at me again before answering. "I love Key, and you hurt him and almost ruined his life just for a little money. You chose money over family. You've shown where your loyalty is and I'm showing you right now where mine is, and it's with Key. So if he doesn't want anything to do with you, then that includes me too. I'm grateful that you introduced us together and will always appreciate that, but you've done some pretty sleazy things that deem you untrustworthy. So, this is goodbye, for good."
 
She broke down then. "I'm so sorry!"
 
"I know," Minho said as he led her to the door. Hopefully this would be the last time that I see her. 
 
Some minutes later, Minho walked back into the living room and sat next to me on the couch. 
 
"How are you feeling?"
 
I leaned my head on his shoulder as I answered, "Mm, I don't know. Oddly, empowered. Is that a good thing?"
 
He chuckled before wrapping an arm around my shoulder, causing me to snuggle into his chest. "I don't know. Are you ok?"
 
I shrugged. "I guess I will be. I mean, we were best friends and we used to always talk about me having her as my maid of honor in my wedding, but she completely ruined it. It just . It feels like a bad break up."
 
"Aww," he kissed my cheek. "At least you have me."
 
I smiled. "You know you didn't have to do that, right?"
 
"Do what?"
 
"Stop talking to Nicole because of me. I would've been ok if you continued to communicate with her."
 
"Key, you mean way more to me than some silly friendship. If anything, you're my best friend, my everything."
 
I blushed, "I love when you get all sappy on me." I pecked his lips before continuing, "Thanks, honey."
 
"Anytime," he said before leaning in and kissing me passionately. 
 
I placed my arms around his neck and he settled his hands on my hips. I quickly became consumed by everything that was Minho. That was until we heard,
 
"EWWWWW!"
 
Me and Minho instantly pulled apart and looked towards the bottom of the stairs. There stood Jongin and Taemin making faces at what they just saw. 
 
My face instantly heated out of embarrassment. I couldn't believe that my kids caught me and Minho in a heavy make out session!
 
"H-Hey~," I said awkwardly. 
 
Jongin giggled, "Umma and Minho were kissing!"
 
"So gross!" Taemin exaggerated. 
 
I face palmed myself before addressing them as they walked closer. "Boys, what has umma told you two about sneaking up on people?"
 
"I know, I know," said Taemin. "We're  just really hungry and want you to fix a snack."
 
Then I had a thought. Though I'm pretty much already embarrassed for life, this would be a perfect time to introduce 'the talk' to the boys. I mean, I don't plan on going into details until they're both in high school or at least 8th grade."
 
"I'll fix you guys a snack soon. But first, me and Minho have some important things to talk to you two about."
 
Minho quirk an eyebrow. "We do?"
 
I looked at him with telling eyes. "Yes, we do. That really important thing."
 
It took him awhile before he finally said, "Oh! Oh, yeah. It's not anything bad, boys. It's something you need to know."
 
I continued and I patted the couch, "Why don't you come and sit between us. Let's get comfortable."
 
They quickly got on the couch, though confused on what was to come. 
 
Minho took over. "Me and your umma want to talk to you two a little about puberty." Way to be subtle. "There comes a point in time in everyone's life where their body starts to change."
 
Taemin perked up. "Oh! Like how tall I get?"
 
"We're in the same ball park."
 
I commented, "But it goes further than that. With puberty, comes hair, hormones, height, and more things necessary to you. So before I get into this, I need to ask some questions. Have you to been feeling different lately?"
 
They both looked at each other confused before shaking their head no. "You haven't noticed any hair growing in weird places?" They shook their heads again and I sighed internally from relief. 
 
"Well that's one of the first things you'll notice when puberty comes. Hair begins to grow in places like your armpits, face, and even your private area."
 
Taemin scrunched up his face, "Ewwww. Why? That's nasty."
 
I chuckled. "It's just how the body is, baby."
 
Minho picked up, "There's also things such as hormones. The hormones in our bodies cause us to get bigger."
 
Jongin gasped. "You mean......," he pointed towards his lap, "down there?"
 
My face flared as Minho continue. "We boys have what's called a . As we grow older, it gets bigger."
 
Taemin asked, "So that means you and umma have a big ?"
 
I face palmed myself as I groaned. I have no idea how Minho could comfortably tell them about these things. 
 
Minho chuckled, "Not necessarily. They come in all shapes and sizes, but once puberty comes, it'll get bigger than it is now."
 
"Cool~," said Taemin. 
 
I interjected, "That's not the only thing that gets bigger though. You grow taller and form muscles. Your voices get deeper and you can also grow facial hair."
 
Jongin perked up, "You mean I can have a beard?! Awesome!" How can he be so cute at a time like this?
 
"Exactly. And along with hormones comes the want to be in a relationship and do things like kiss, which I don't expect you to do until you're 50 by the way." Minho laughed as I continued. "That reminds me. Are you guys interested in other people? Like do you have a crush?"
 
They looked at each other again with the same confused look before shaking their heads. 
 
Jongin asked, "What do you mean, umma?"
 
"Do you two know if you like boys or girls?" They shook their heads again. 
 
Minho said, "Key, I don't think their interested in that type of stuff yet."
 
Relief washed over me. "Thank goodness."
 
"I have a question," said Taemin. "Does it matter if we like a boy or a girl?"
 
"Honey, this is a free country and you're free to love whoever you want."
 
Jongin said, "Is there more we need to know?"
 
"Yes, but we're saving that for when you get older-"
 
Minho interrupted, "We are?" And I quickly elbowed his side, "Oof! I mean, yeah! We are!"
 
I continued, "But if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask us. We're here for you guys. Always."
 
Taemin said, "Well, I have a question. Why can some men have babies and others can't?"
 
"UMMMM!" I tried to stall. "Uh, that's something we're saving for when you're older."
 
"But you said if we have questions we can ask you."
 
"I know what I said," I said dreadfully. "But that's a question that'll be answered in due time. Trust me, ok?"
 
"I have a question too," said Jongin. "Will it hurt when I get a big ?"
 
My eyes instantly widened. Maybe it was a bad idea to ask for questions. Minho on the other hand thought it was hilarious. 
 
He chuckled, "Not really, it shouldn't. I mean, it didn't hurt for me. However, some people form s without trying, so maybe that could be painful. I'm not sure."
 
"What's an ?" Jongin asked and I quickly ended it there. 
 
"Um! I think that's the end of this Q&A. You guys are asking questions about things you won't need to know until later in life." They both whined as I shooed them upstairs, leaving me and Minho alone. 
 
Minho was laughing his off. "We were just getting to the good stuff!"
 
"Minho, I don't want them knowing about or anything involving until I think they're ready."
 
"But the sooner the better."
 
"No offense to you, but I think I know what's best for my kids."
 
Minho put his hands up in fake surrender. "My bad. But why didn't you tell Taemin about his situation. That's something that's very important to know early."
 
I sighed, "Because I feel like if he knows early, then he'll be curious early. Then he may try to experiment then the experiments will turn to . Then from , he'll have a child and be like 'Umma, you were right!', not even knowing the struggle he's soon to face from being a teen parent."
 
There was a pause before Minho gave me a dead face, "Are you listening to yourself?"
 
I nodded and groaned, hiding my face in his chest, "I know I sound ridiculous."
 
He grinned. "You really do. There's no way that Taemin would think about that type of stuff at the age he is. He's just a little curious. All boys are at his age. It's nothing to freak out about. Now when high school comes, then you can be as crazy as you want. I won't stop you because I'll be right by your side."
 
I smiled, "Really?"
 
"Yeah. I care about your boys just as much as you do. There's no way I'm letting Taemin nor Jongin run freely in high school without keeping and eye on them."
 
I kissed his cheek. "At least we're on the same page. You can tell them about s all you want, but I just feel like the babies thing can wait."
 
He nodded. "As long as you don't tell them too late."
 
"Anyway, I better get up and make some snacks for the boys. They were complaining about being hungry earlier."
 
"Ok. Well while you're at it, I'll be up there talking about s!"
 
I stared at him, "You know, the fact that you're so excited about this kind of scares me."
 
He chuckled before pecking my lips. "Don't worry. I'll give you your own private lesson about s tonight. How does that sound?"
 
I bit my bottom lip before kissing him again. I whispered, "You're such a pig. Now, go and educate my boys."
 
He stood up and saluted, "Aye aye, captain!" Then he went upstairs. 
 
I sat and pondered on the couch. How has my day gone from a good day at work, to me ending all ties with my ex-best friend, to the talk, to the promise of a 'private lesson', to me making snack for my kids? This has been quite a day, but it's moments like these that make me so appreciative of Minho and my boys. It's these moments that make me so eager for my wedding day. I'm ready to be married to the man I love and to start our new family. I'm ready for a new life. 
 
One that apparently involves lessons. 

Feels like I've been gone for decades Sorry! I've been caught up with schoolwork. Can you believe I have three essays due around the same time? Why is education trying to kill me? :(

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed. Please leave comments ^.~