Chapter 9

Destined Friends or Lovers?

Your POV:

Slowly I walked away and climbed back into my warm bed.  That's all I wanted to do; crawl into my bed and lay there.  And that's exactly what I did.  Gongchan still kept knocking at the door though.  I left my door closed and locked.  Honestly, I really didn't want to talk to anyone at all. 

"Haeri," Gongchan called.  "Please, open the door." 

He continued to beg for me to open the door a couple of more minutes, but still I kept to my bed.  Then when the knocking stopped and his footsteps walked away, I reached for my phone and texted him a small message telling him that I just needed to be alone for now and that I was fine.  Then I put my phone on silent and threw it back on my side table. 

I don't know when I fell asleep, but when I woke up it was morning already and my alarm clock was ringing.  I turned it off and then went to get ready for school.  After I was done getting dressed, I snuck downstairs hoping that no one was down there.  When the coast was clear, I grabbed my skateboard and ran out the door. 

When I got to school, there weren't many people there yet.  It was still pretty early in the morning and I wasn't really expecting students to be here right now. 

I made my way to my locker and unpacked and pack my bag with whatever I needed for class.  Then I heard footsteps stop behind me.  I turned to find Hana smiling to me nicely. 

"Why are you here so early?" I asked as I turned back to face my locker. 

"I should ask you that, too.  Any ways, I got dropped off.  By the way, why are your eyes so puffy?" she said. 

I started to wonder how she could tell.  I purposely put on eye make-up today to hide it.  I guess it didn't really work out.  "I just wanted to get to class early and how could you tell?" 

"Well, I guess it's because we've been best friends for how long now?  But what happened?" 

"Ah... well," I hesitated, "m-my parents are kind of getting a divorce..." 

Hana's eyes widened and her little smile turned into a sad frown.  She wrapped her arms around me and tightly hugged me.  We let go of each other and let silence take over for a moment.  Hana was still giving me a "I'm sorry" look.  I'm so thankful for her comforting and being here for me. 

Once I had everything in my bag, we both made our way to the classroom.  We were alone in the classroom since the bell wasn't going to ring for a couple of more minutes.  As we sat in the lonesome room, we tried to catch up with each other more since we haven't had a chance to hang out, except for yesterday. 

Soon students started piling into the room and then the bell rang.  As soon as lunch hit, I waved good-bye to Hana and told her that I wouldn't be joining her for lunch today.  Then I headed to the back of the school and walked to the outside bleachers. 

As I sat there in silence, I stared up to the blue sky and just thought about things.  Wishing, hoping, regretting, wanting, needing, stopping, disappearing. 

The silence was interrupted when I heard footsteps coming up towards me.  I looked downwards to see who it was.  When Gongchan gave me a shy smile I just scoffed.  He made his way up to me and sat down beside me. 

"What's up?" he asked starting the conversation. 

"Nothing," I answered simply. 

"Why didn't you let me in yesterday?" 

"I just wanted to be alone." 

"What happened?" 

"Nothing really... my parents are getting a divorce that's all." 

From my peripheral vision I could see Gongchan turn his head towards me looking shocked.  I pressed my lips into a line and let out a quick sigh.  "H-Haeri..." Gongchan said softly. 

"I guess that's what fate decided." 

Neither of us talked afterwards.  We both just stared into space.  And when the bell finally rang, we got up at the same time and headed back to class.  Just as we entered the room the last bell rang and we quickly sat in our seats. 

The last bell rang and I quickly gathered up my stuff and started towards my locker to get my skateboard.  As soon as I was set with all my stuff, I headed out the doors. 

Just as I stepped off the last step of the stairs, someone tripped me.  I fell to the ground with my backpack and skateboard.  My backpack let out some of my papers and my skateboard rolled away.  But I was lucky that I sort of caught myself before I hit the ground too hard.  I looked back to the people that tripped me and recognized them.  They were Jinae's friends. 

I was more then just pissed at that moment, but still I didn't lash out at them, even though they were laughing their ' off, and just went to pick my stuff up.  As I gathered up my stuff, someone bent down in front of me and helped me grab all my papers.  I looked up and saw that it was the guy from yesterday that bumped into me. 

We got up after collecting my papers and he handed the little pile he had.  "Thanks," I thanked him and stuffed it back into my backpack.  The guy walked away for a second and came back with my skateboard in hand. 

"Here you go," he said and shot a smirk at me.  I couldn't deny that his smirk made me melt a little inside. 

"Thanks again for helping me," I said. 

I glanced back to the girls and their boyfriends.  They weren't exactly laughing anymore.  I wondered why.  Maybe it was because this hot guy in front of me was too irresistible. 

"No problem," he said.  "By the way, I'm Zitao, but you can just call me Tao." 

I nodded a bit.  "I'm Haeri." 

"So, I guess we go to the same school now." 

"You go here too?" 

"Yeah, I just transferred today." 

"Oh.  Are you Chinese?  I kind of noticed your accent." 

He laughed a little.  "Yeah.  I came from China with my three friends." 

We talked for a while longer, then we exchanged numbers.  After I said good-bye to him, I dropped my skateboard to the ground and hopped on.  As I was skateboarding home, I thought about Jinae's friends back there.  I've never done anything to them before nor have I ever said anything to them, but they tripped me for no reason. 

I wasn't really paying attention and was lost in my thoughts until I realized that a car honked at me.  It surprised me and I turned too fast causing me to lose balance and fall on my .  Damn... why is today such a bad day for me? 

"Haeri," I heard a voice call me.  "Are you okay?" 

It was Gongchan.  He walked towards me.  I got up and saw Jinae standing near her car, probably waiting for Gongchan to get back into the car.  Quickly, I went to get my skateboard and rode off not wanting to talk to Gongchan at the moment. 

I don't know why I just ran off like that.  It seems as if I've been doing that a lot lately.  But I didn't feel like talking to Gongchan again.  As I rode off, I glanced back at them.  Gongchan was walking back to the car and Jinae was getting back in.  I felt bad, but I kept going. 

Gongchan's POV:

The last bell of the day rang and before I knew it, Haeri was already out the door.  And when I went to her locker, she wasn't there.  I sighed and walked out of the building. 

Right as I got out of the building, Jinae was waiting for me.  She smiled her angelic smile that I love at me and walked over to give me a hug.  Everyone seemed to have gotten picked up or something already because it was looking pretty empty out in the front. 

We climbed into Jinae's car after we parted from one another and drove off to her house.  We were going to have a study date at her house for tonight.  On our way there, I spotted Haeri.  She was on her skateboard, but she didn't seem like she was paying any attention to anything.  All of a sudden Jinae honked her horn when we got dangerously close to her.  Haeri made a sharp turn and fell a couple of feet ahead of the car.  

Out of worry, I got out of the car quickly and started to make my way over to her.  She got up herself and looked at me before hopping back onto her skateboard and riding away.  I was confused at first.  I started to wonder why she would just leave like that.  It made me worry even more.  But I just went back to the car since Jinae was calling for me.  

At Jinae's house, we went up to her room and laid out our homework that we had.  We started and finished within about two hours.  Then we sat back and relaxed for a while. 

Afterwards, I decided that it was time to go home since the sun had already set and it was pretty late.  I said good-bye to Jinae and her parents, then left.  When I got home, I threw my stuff on the ground in my room and ran over to Haeri's house to check on her. 

If felt like deja vu when I got up to her room and it was locked.  Just like yesterday, I knocked on the door begging for her to open it so that we could talk.  But this time, she actually unlocked the door and I walked in. 

She was just about to crawl under the covers with her back facing me, until I came over and threw her covers to the foot of the bed.  I sat down and watched as she sat up and gave me her pissed off face.  I giggled and pulled my legs up on the bed so that I could sit criss-crossed. 

"Are you okay?" I asked after a while of silence. 

"Yeah, why?" she said. 

"Well... you kind of-" 

"Yes I'm fine.  You don't have to worry about me." 

"How do I not worry about my best friend?" 

She shrugged her shoulders and laid back down.  "Can I have my blanket back?  It's cold," she mumbed. 

"You're weird.  It's not cold at all." 

I got up and threw her covers back over her and stood there for a minute before I actually left.  Quietly I closed her door and made my way to the front door and went home. 

 

 


Hi there!! Here's a chapter for you guys!  I didn't have school today so I'm happy C:  any ways, I hope you guys enjoyed reading this chapter and the mysterious guy was none other than out TAO!  hehe :D 

 

~Angelflyer