Chapter 11

Destined Friends or Lovers?

Gongchan's POV:

It seems as if Haeri's been ignoring me lately.  She doesn't answer my texts or calls at all, I can't find her when we have free time during school, after school she heads straight home, she seems to always be out when I go over to her place, and on weekends too.  I wonder if she's just really busy, or if she really is ignoring me.  If she is, why?  What did I do?  Did I upset her and I didn't know? 

I let a sigh out as I sat at my desk trying to finish homework.  It was a Thursday and Jinae wasn't available for a study date today, so here I am at home doing my homework- actually I only did one problem so far.  I've been lost in thought this whole past half hour. 

While I was staring into space, my phone suddenly rang.  I looked down to it before picking it up.  It was Jinae calling.  A smile formed on my face as I clicked the answer button. 

"Hello?" I said. 

"Channie~," she sang. 

"Yes?" I asked. 

"Did you want to go to a party next Saturday?" 

"Hmm..."  I thought for a second wondering what I might be doing next weekend. 

"Everyone's going to be there.  I even asked your friend Baro, he said he'll be going, too.  And I bet that the rest of your friends will be going." 

"Okay, sure." 

"Great!  It'll be at the beach.  It's just a little thing before the warm weather ends." 

"Okay, that's cool." 

We talked for about an hour more just because I didn't want to do my homework.  When we finally hung up, I forced myself to do the homework.  Once I was done with that, I shoved it into my backpack, then went to look out the window.  I was specifically looking towards Haeri's window to see if the lights were on. 

They weren't on.  I sighed.  Every single night so far she's been out late.  Coincidentally as I was looking outside, I saw a car pull up to Haeri's house and saw her getting out and walking into her house.  Then the car sped off. 

Soon her lights were on and I realized that her curtains were hung up, meaning that I could see in to her room and her herself walking around.  I reached over to my phone and texted her a quick message saying "hi," then looked back towards her room.  I wanted to see if she would actually check her messages. 

She took her phone out of her back pocket and turned it on.  Then she bit her bottom lip before throwing her phone onto her bed.  So she has been purposely ignoring my texts.  My mood suddenly plunged.  It was disappointing and sad to know that my best friend has been purposely ignoring me. 

After stalking Haeri for a couple more minutes, I closed my curtains and got ready for bed since it was late.  As I laid in bed, I hoped that Haeri would start talking to me again and tell me why she's been ignoring me.  It's really bothering me now and I'm getting really close to not being able to take it.  I'll even force her to talk to me. 

At school the next day, I saw her and Hana talking with each other.  It was still pretty early and there weren't many students in the classroom yet.  I set my backpack down and walked over to the two girls. 

"Hey," I greeted them.  While Hana greeted me lively with a nice "hi," Haeri, on the other hand, greeted me with a forced small smile and nod.  "Mind if I borrow my best friend for a little bit?" I asked and looked to Hana. 

"Go ahead, take as long as you need with her," Hana replied, still smiling. 

"Thanks," I said and waited for Haeri to get up and follow me out of the room. 

Once we were outside the classroom, I led her to a more secluded area of the school where there were only one or two students at their lockers.  I stopped and turned around to look at her.  She was just staring at me blankly. 

"What?" she spoke up. 

"Have you been ignoring me?" I asked getting straight to the point. 

There was a pause before she answered, "No... Why?" 

She's a pretty good liar I have to say, but, me being her best friend for however many years now, can see through her lies 99 percent of the time.  And now is part of that 99 percent. 

I gave her a "are you serious?" look and just kept staring at her like that.  She can't stand me staring at her like this for long, so I know that she'll give in pretty soon. 

"Okay... maybe I have a little bit," she finally admitted after a minute passed. 

"Why?" I asked. 

"Give me a normal looking expression first, then I'll tell you."  After I changed my expression, she explained.  "You know, you want to have some time with your new girlfriend, so I don't want to bother you.  Plus I have a life and other friends to hang out with, too." 

"I know, but some times I want to talk to you, but you don't answer." 

"Because I'm busy." 

"Whatever."  I scoffed.  Obviously I saw her yesterday night completely ignoring my text to her. 

"Stop being so sassy," she said and laughed.  "I won't talk to you at all if you keep doing that." 

"Whatever."  I scoffed again, just to get on her nerves and test her.  She rolled her eyes at me and pushed passed me.  "Wait!  Haeri, I was joking." 

Quickly I chased after her.  We got to the classroom a few minutes before the bell rang and talked for a while there.  Classes went by fast today for some reason.  Maybe it was because I wasn't really paying attention to anything and just passing notes to Haeri. 

During lunch, I sat with my friends and Hana.  I don't know where Haeri went before the bell, but I thought I saw her in the lunch line.  It was weird getting weird at the lunch table.  Hana and Baro were just all over each other and making the four of us uncomfortable.  Maybe if Jinae were with me right now I'd be less weirded out, but she wasn't any where to be found either. 

"Well, I know why Baro and Hana haven't been sitting here with us lately," Jinyoung commented with a disgusted face. 

"Maybe we should leave," Shinwoo said. 

"I'm with you on that," Sanduel said while looking at Shinwoo. 

I laughed at them and was reminded why I loved hanging out with my hyungs so much.  As we were laughing and teasing the couple, there was suddenly a loud sound of a tray dropping.  Every single one of us in the cafeteria looked towards the direction where the sound came from. 

"What the hell?!?!" a girl screamed in a high pitched voice..  As I kept staring at her I realized that it was one of Jinae's friends with some sort of food stain on her shirt.  Then I saw that Haeri was also standing up there looking innocent. 

Silence filled the room.  Jinae's friend was filled with anger and looked like she wanted to rip someone's head off.  Haeri, on the other hand, looked just annoyed.  Slowly I got up and was about to walk up to her until I saw Tao making his way over to the scene. 

"Well?" the girl asked looking to Haeri as if she was supposed to clean her up. 

"Sorry," Haeri said.  Her voice seemed so low and soft that I could barely hear it over here where we were sitting. 

The whole room was tense and all you could hear was the clinking of dishes and water running from the school kitchen.  The girl still just stood there waiting for something.  It felt like hours were passing by as neither of them said anything. 

"What's going on in here?" one of the lunch ladies asked while coming out of the kitchen. 

"Haeri spilled her lunch on me," Jinae's friend said as if she were five year old tattling on someone. 

"You two both go to the office this instant," the lunch lady barked. 

Haeri calmly walked out of the lunch room within a second with Tao following at her heels, while the girl flinched at the lunch lady's scolding before quickly going as well.  The lunch room was going back to it's regular noisiness after the three of them had left.  But all I heard from everyone was about that dramatic scene that had happened. 

Your POV:

I can't believe I'm walking down to the principal's office right now just because I accidentally turned and bumped into a .  I let out a sigh and continued on my way to the main office.  I heard someone clear their throat behind me and totally had forgotten that Tao had been with me this whole time. 

"Wow... tough luck," Tao said. 

"Tsk... yeah, I know," I replied. 

"Hopefully you don't get in too much trouble." 

"I guess it won't even matter any ways." 

I felt him look down at me, but he stayed silent.  We stopped in front of the main office door and waited for that to catch up with us.  "Thanks for walking me here," I thanked him as we stood there awkwardly. 

"No problem.  I'll see you after school or something." 

"Okay.  See ya." 

Tao left and as soon as he did, Jinae's friend, finally, arrived.  We walked into the office together and sat down in the chairs waiting for the scolding to come. 

As soon as we got our punishment, which was a really long scolding, we got to go back to our classes.  I was so glad that her class was on the other side of the building then mine.  I would've gone crazy if we had to walk the same way for like five minutes. 

I knocked on the door to my classroom and entered awkwardly.  All eyes fell on me as I made my way to my seat.  Even as I sat down and the lesson continued, I still felt people staring at me as if I've done something wrong- which I didn't!  It made me feel a little less weird when Gongchan and Hana started passing me notes again, though. 

Luckily I was able to get through the day without feeling that uncomfortable.  Just as I walked out of the building and was about to hop onto my skateboard, someone grabbed my arm.  It wasn't a harsh grab, but a gentle one.  I turned, and before I knew it I was face to face with my best friend. 

"What?" I asked. 

"What are you doing next weekend?" Gongchan asked. 

"I don't know.  Why?" 

"If you don't have plans, come to the beach.  There's going to be a little party." 

"Okay, I'll see." 

He gave me a smile as to say that that was all he needed to tell me and that I could go scurry off to where ever I was going.  I hopped onto my skateboard and rode it all the way home. 

Gongchan's POV:

After I talked to Haeri and let her go, I stayed by the building and waited for Jinae to come out of the building, too.  As I waited, Tao came up to me.  "Hey," I greeted him. 

"Waiting for your girlfriend?" Tao asked. 

"Yeah... by the way, by any chance was the girl you were talking to me about named Haeri?" 

"Yeah.  Why?" 

"Nothing.  Any ways, are you going to the beach party next Saturday?" 

"I don't know.  Maybe." 

"Bring your friends along.  I bet they'll like it." 

"Okay, I'll ask them." 

I nodded in response.  Then Jinae walked out and wrapped her arm around me giving me a back hug.  While I greeted her, Tao said bye and ran off.  In one brief movement, Jinae was in my arms and kissed my cheek. 

 

 


Hey guys!  Here's a chapter for you all!  I hope you guys like it!!  Thanks to those of you have subscribed and commented! I really appreciate it!! :D

 

~Angelflyer