CHAPTER 17: STRESS

Don't Look At Me Like That (쳐다보지마)

Minho was lying on his side as he stared at his sleeping boyfriend. Jinki's body moved up and down as he breathed.
Jinki was sleeping soundly, facing Minho.
The younger boy traced his face.

Gliding his fingers from Jinki's soft lips, up to his cute nose.
The elder stirred, crinkling his nose before pressing closer into Minho's side.
He kissed the elder's soft brown hair fondly; it was a perfect evening.

And then, his phone vibrated loudly on the side table. Minho groaned in annoyance before reaching to grab it.
Jonghyun was calling.

"What is it?"

"Do you know where Kibum is?"

"No, he's staying over at a friend's place".

"Oh okay. Thanks".

Minho thought nothing of the conversation and turned to Jinki, gently shaking his shoulders, "Jinki, it's time to wake up".
.....................................................................

Kibum's head throbbed as his eyes opened. He tried to adjust to the bright light. However, when he tried to bring his hand up to block the light, he realized that he was restrained.

He couldn't move his arms or legs to a large bed.
"Somebody! Help! Jonghyun!!" Kibum cries loudly.
"Oh look who's awake", said a taunting voice.
Kibum's head turned to see Leo.
"Leo! What's going on?!" he demanded despite his frightened voice and expression.

"You betrayed me; that's what happened Kibum", Leo snarled angrily, "I tried being nice but you just don't get it".

"It was a mistake! Taemin won't tell anyone!" Kibum begged, pulling on the ropes that held his limbs.

"I hope so".

Without another word, Lyn suddenly appeared wearing no expression on her face, looking sinister.
"L-Lyn! Thank God! Tell Leo to let me go!" Kibum said desperately.
Leo chuckled darkly, "I'm the one giving orders here".

"Bring me the tools", he said to Lyn.
Now, Kibum was terribly afraid and his body was restless due to his heat.

Lyn brought over a little table with horrifyingly sharp tools that made Kibum's stomach churn as he wildly began to struggle, "What the hell is wrong with you?! It was a mistake!"

"That's not the issue Kibum. Besides, I'll let you go -- as soon as I get your heart".
Kibum's body froze, "W-What? I thought you-- You monster!! Let me go! Why the hell do you want my heart?!"
"Isn't it obvious! I'll become the strongest hybrid in the world when I have the power of three hearts!" Leo said in a creepy voice.
"Th-three hearts? You .... You don't mean.... Lyn...?" Kibum said in disbelief and horror, staring at the empty looking girl, "You ing bastard! You're disgusting! She's your sister!!"

The young boy's eyes looked around in panic as Leo ignored him and snapped on latex gloves.
He got a green pill from a bottle and forced Kibum's mouth open.
Kibum needed more time. Just a few more seconds...
And when the chance came, he bit as hard as he could on Leo's finger, his sharp fangs breaking the skin and making the latter howl in pain.
Leo angrily pulled away his bleeding finger as Kibum used the time the try to transform into his wolf form.
It worked and he was free from the ropes. Leo was quick to retaliate and follow suit. He was a larger wolf and his sharp claws were quick to dig into Kibum's back as they scratched down, weakening the white wolf significantly who was still on his stomach, liquid Crimson blood evident on his back. And to make sure, Leo knocked his head down with full force on the wooden side table.
Leo then returned to his human form and turned the white wolf over with his foot before socking his vulernable stomach. Almost immediately, the white wolf returned to his human form as he was severely injured (the human form was the dominant form for hybrids).
Lyn lifted the boy effortlessly and returned him back to the bed, restrained again, even more tightly that the veins on his wrist and ankles were visible.
Kibum breathed heavily as Leo took care of his wound.
On any regular case, he should be unconscious by now but his heat kept him filled with energy and restless.
This was also a bad think since he was open to more pain.
"I should just stop being nice to you brat", Leo returned, "I was trying to give you a sedative to help through the surgery but I guess you prefer it this way."

He went through his tools, totally ignoring the huge dark bruise growing on Kibum's stomach and bleeding skull.
The poor boy's back was burning from pain from the four deep claw marks.
His wounds were supposed to heal by now but his body toxins were clearly refusing to cooperate with him.
With the heat, his entire body was hot as though it was sporting a fever.

His eyes followed the approaching blade in fears.
'Jonghyun!' he screamed through his mind link.

As the cold metal came in contact with his navel, Kibum literally fainted from fright, hearing loud screams as his eyes shut down...
...........................................................

Jonghyun became concerned when Kibum didn't contact him by 11am.
He had called Minho about two hours ago ago and he said that Kibum was at a friend's place.
What friend?
He finally called Taemin, with worry and concern lacing his voice.

It didn't take Taemin long to finally admit his and Kibum's conversation at the mall.
Jonghyun was in total shock.
Kibum met with the hybrids? That's where he had been spending his time? He should've noticed something suspicious was going on.
What if they harmed him?

He was mostly disappointed at Kibum for not trusting his judgement and lying to him.
He met with them after Jonghyun had deliberately told him how dangerous they were.
"Why is it that every time I come to you, Kibum is foolishly putting himself in danger?" Jonghyun exclaimed in frustration.

It didn't take long for Jonghyun to notice a sharp call from he and Kibum's mind link. He tried to use it to ask where the younger boy was but it was extremely weak. All Jonghyun knew was that his mate was in danger.

"He did give me some detail of the location from the pack borders", Taemin suddenly exclaimed.
"Alright, I'll call some hunters to join us for back up", Jonghyun said as he and Taemin rushed out toward the abandoned trail.

After gathering half a dozen wolves for backup, Taemin led the way using his best memory and interpretation of Kibum's words.
However, a while later, everybody came to a halt when they saw three seperate pathways.

"How where?" Zorro asked.
"I have no idea", Taemin said under his breath, "I have a feeling Kibum left out this part deliberately".
Jonghyun took a deep breath in frustration when he suddenly froze.
He sniffed the air; the scent was unmistakably  Kibum but that wasn't it.

Kibum was in heat! Why would he go out at such a state? Usually, Kibum would inform Jonghyun and he avoided going out of the house from embarrassment.
Something was definitely off but right now, Jonghyun's priority was finding his mate.
"This way!" He called before racing towards the scent.
It wasn't long before they came across a well hidden home.
"Okay, let's organize a proper attack", Zorro began.
'Jonghyun!' Kibum called in a frightened tone through their mind link.
Jonghyun ran forward in full speed, breaking a window in the process.
"I guess we're just attacking", Zorro muttered as he and the other wolves followed suit.
Taemin entered last, carefully stepping over the broken glass.
Three wolves had managed to easily kill the female hybrid.
Meanwhile, he entered a large room, shocked from the sight.
The other three wolves were growling as they stood, baring their teeth. In front of them was Jonghyun in his human form, fuming from anger.
Jonghyun was facing the male hybrid who was holding a sharp blade. On the bed, lay Kibum's unconscious, bloody, injured body.
Taemin gasped, "What the hell did you do to him?!"
Jonghyun was too furious to say anything.
He heart literally stopped when he spotted his unconscious and fatally injured mate.
The hybrid's hands were now dangerously close to Kibum's neck
"STOP!" Jonghyun finally yelled, "Don't touch him; what do you want?"

The hybrid's piercing gaze scanned the room before he spoke.
"Let me out. I'll leave for good".
"Like hell", Jonghyun snarled.
The boy applied pressure on the knife and a crimson line was formed on Kibum's pale neck.
Jonghyun grit his teeth tightly before calling the wolves off. They stood as the hybrid frantically zoomed out the house.

Jonghyun and Taemin didn't waste any time hurrying to Kibum.
Jonghyun swallowed at the sight his beloved mate was in.
Taemin quickly unfastened the ropes that bounded Kibum's wrists and ankles, revealing the red marks of a struggle.
Jonghyun softly moved Kibum's hair to the side, revealing the dried gash on the younger boy's skull.
"Jonghyun", Zorro arrived, "We need to move Kibum."

Jonghyun gulped and scooped up his boyfriend, making sure the younger boy's head was resting on his chest instead of flopping in the air.

As he walked through the house, he spotted the dead female; that was weird because the male never even mentioned or searched for the female.

"Leave her; she's dead anyways", Jonghyun said coldly as he walked out the house and towards his pack.

"I can't come hyung", Taemin said, "But tell me how Kibum is. Should I tell Minho?"

"Um if he asks, I guess. He'll become restless", Jonghyun said emptily.
  Jonghyun's concerned parents and sister were already waiting for him at the pack doctor's den.
His sister gasped when she spotted Kibum in his arms.
His mother choked on tears, "Is he...? What in the world happened??"
Thankfully, Jonghyun's father pulled her away to let the pack doctor examine Kibum.
Dr. Park instructed Jonghyun to remove Kibum's shirt. However, everyone froze at the bruises and claws across the boy's chest.
"Well, he sure out up a fight", Dr. Park commented.

Kibum's body was cleaned and bandaged an hour later.

The deep wound in Kibum's back was healing well but the other severe wounds and claw marks remained the same.
"Why aren't the wounds healing?" Jonghyun's mother fussed.
"I think that the previous wounds along his neck and the deep one in his back wasn't caused by the hybrids", Dr. Park explained.
Everyone shared looks of confusion but didn't ponder on the mystery as Kibum began to stir.
However, unlike a peaceful awakening, the boy awoke in intense pain.
The moment he opened his eyes, he couldn't recognize everyone properly and panic along with tears flooded his eyes.

"Please move back; he--", Dr. Park tried to say but it was a bit too late.

Kibum began screaming as though he was in a nightmare and his body began to shake alarmingly.
Jonghyun's family became even more concerned and frightened, and they moved back.
Jonghyun was quick to embrace his boyfriend, "Shhh! Bummie, it's me, calm down".
Kibum calmed down as he smelled his boyfriend's scent.

"J-Jonghyun", he whimpered, holding onto the elder tightly as though someone would pull him away.
Jonghyun soothed him and waited until Kibum calmed down from his panic attack.

He finally calmed down and Jonghyun gently placed his back on the pillow.
"Are you already? Does it hurt anywhere?" Jonghyun asked.
Kibum looked at him blankly before shaking his head 'no'.

He didn't utter a single word as he stared at Jonghyun.

Jonghyun's father patted Jonghyun's back, "We'll head home. You should take Kibum home; stay if you need to".
Jonghyun nodded.

Kibum was spaced out in his own world.
"Kibummie?" Jonghyun said gently, careful to not frighten the boy.
Kibum looked up.
"Wanna go home?"
Kibum nodded.

Jonghyun held Kibum's hand and they drove in silence.
It was 7pm when the pickup truck stopped in front of the driveway.
The moment they got in, Minho rushed from the living room. 

 

It seemed like Taemin told him what happened. 

 

"Oh my God, Kibum!" He exclaimed, immediately embracing his brother tightly. 

 

Kibum was quick to respond as he held onto his brother.

"M-Minho!" The boy sobbed his heart out.  

"That bastard", Minho whispered, "What did he do to you."

His heart hurt to see his beloved brother in such a state; so broken. 

 

Minho helped Kibum to the couch. 

 

"What in the world happened?" he asked. 

 

Before Jonghyun could open his mouth, Kibum spoke, "H-he was going to eat m-my heart". 

Jonghyun wanted to throw up. 

He knew that that was the method to get power from another soul but it was disgusting. 

Minho was terrified and horrified when he heard what Kibum had just said; it made him sick to the stomach. 

 

Minho softly smoothed Kibum's hair before seating him on the couch.

"Are you hungry?"

Kibum shook his head 'no'. 

 

Meanwhile, Minho rushed into the kitchen, dragging Jonghyun along with him. 

 

"What the hell happened?! Why is Kibum like this?" he demanded, accusingly.

 

"Didn't Taemin fill you in?" Jonghyun asked in a tired voice. 

 

"Vaguely. But I want to know what the hell exactly happened!"

 

"As you can see", Jonghyun said, "Kibum went to meet the dangerous hybrids that I told him to stay away from and they attacked him to steal his powers. The hunters from my pack managed to kill one of the hybrids and the other escaped. Kibum was unconscious and injured when I got there. I think he was held hostage since last night".

 

Minho looked at the elder for a few seconds, "Okay, so these hybrids ed him up. Why isn't he healing? His arm is still bleeding".

 

"Yeah, Dr. Park said that he was attacked by someone else; someone who wasn't the hybrids", Jonghyun said. 

 

Minho rubbed him face in exhaustion, "I can't believe all this happened so fast! I know you're really tired. I'll take Kibum upstairs. I can handle him so don't worry".

 

Jonghyun nodded and forced a smile as he waved goodbye to Kibum. 

Once he got into his pickup truck, he angrily hit the steering wheel in frustration. 

 

Why was it that Kibum had gotten hurt when he went through drastic measures to protect him?

----------------------------------------------—

 

Minho knew very well that Kibum would have nightmares tonight. It was inevitable because of what he went through. 

Therefore, there was no point in taking Kibum to his own room. Instead, they went to Minho's room and it wasn't much of an issue since he had a spacious queen sized bed. 

 

Kibum took a shower and change. After he came out of the bathroom, Minho noticed Kibum's red skin as though it was rubbed too hard but he didn't comment on it. 

"Not sleepy? Wanna talk?" Minho asked; it was only 8:30pm. 

 

He and Kibum were lying on their backs, side by side. 

There was a prolonging silence for two whole minutes before Minho finally spoke. 

"So what were you doing? Hanging out with those hybrids, I mean."

He sounded casual as he didn't make eye contact. 

Kibum took a breath. 

"When I met them, they didn't seem dangerous and they were excited to meet someone like them", Kibum said in a calm voice, "They knew more about hybrids than Jonghyun or Taemin". 

 

Minho nodded understandingly, "So you began to trust them... Tell me about them". 

 

"Lyn and Leo; they were twins", Kibum began. 

Kibum told Minho everything; from the moment he met Leo and Lyn to meeting up with them and learning new things from them. 

But then, after he spoke about meeting with Taemin at the mall, he got fidgety. 

 

"So you went to see Leo and Lyn after leaving?" Minho asked when Kibum stopped talking abruptly. 

 

"Th-that was the plan", Kibum said silently. 

 

"What do you mean?" Minho asked in confusion.  

 

"On the way, I suddenly got my heat... And then Siwon found me".

 

"Siwon? That's ...... Jonghyun's brother?" Minho recalled. 

 

Kibum nodded. 

 

"Okay so?" 

 

"He- he suddenly attacked me. A-and he pushed me over after he smelled my h-heat. He tried to ...  But he somehow triggered my power since I was in serious danger", Kibum stopped again. This time, because of his tears.  

 

"What ... He-he attacked you?! And got on top of you?! The son of a !" Minho exclaimed, abruptly sitting up. 

 

Siwon must've been the one who attacked Kibum, besides the hybrid. 

"Did you tell Jonghyun?!"

 

“Not yet”.

 

 

Although Jonghyun was exhausted, he wasn't granted any rest.
As soon as he returned, Zorro was waiting for him, looking extremely anxious.
"Jonghyun! We have a big issue and your dad wants you to the meeting room!"
Jonghyun sighed; he was sure this was about Kibum's powers.
However, he couldn't have been prepared for what was to happen.

He entered the room to find the elders of the pack seated with his father.
And on the other side was a glaring Siwon.
Jonghyun's eyes widened as he focused on his brother; the latter was badly injured and his arm had a scratch marks while his body was brutally bruised.
"What happened?" he asked tentatively.
"We thought you'd know Jonghyun", his father said.
"What do you mean?" Jonghyun asked in confusion; how would he know about Siwon's escapades. He'd been busy with Kibum the entire day!
"Well your mate didn't tell you?" Siwon sneered hatefully.
Jonghyun's eyes narrowed when Siwon mentioned Kibum,
"What does Kibum have to do with you?"
"Don't you see the state I'm in right now?" Siwon snapped.
"You can't be blaming Kibum", Jonghyun scoffed, "He was with me all day! And why would he do such a thing; he can barely fight!"
"Have you forgotten he's a hybrid? Why would he need to fight when he has those immense powers of his? And this happened yesterday evening when I encountered him. I only asked where he was going and he attacked me!" Siwon accused.
"We need Kibum's testimony on this", an elder said.
Jonghyun was terribly confused; Kibum would never do such a thing!
He barely talked to Siwon.
The boy tiredly rubbed his face, "He's injured and so is Siwon. He needs to get treated and I'm sure everyone is exhausted right now. We can talk about this later".
"You have two days Minho. Kibum will be treated as any other attacker", the elder replied coldly before leaving.
Jonghyun's father ordered Jonghyun to return home and rest while he accompanied Siwon to the pack doctor.

And even then, Jonghyun couldn’t sleep because of all the stress he had about the occurrences from the past 48 hours.

The next morning, Kibum barely slept since he kept waking up from nightmares filled with Leo and/ or Siwon.
Minho had awoken abruptly and calmed him down each time but he couldn't get those terrible memories out of his head.

In conclusion, Kibum only got four hours of sleep while he spent the rest of the time taking in the events of the previous day.

Everything was real.

The thought had just occurred to him after awaking the sixth time that night.
Everything that happened to him was real; it wasn't merely a nightmare.
That's when reality hit hard.
Kibum felt vulnerable, scarred, and dirty.
Even though Siwon didn't get too far, the thought of the latter on him gave Kibum the chills. He shivered.
A few minutes later, silent tears made their way down his teeth. A voice in his head kept repeating how repulsive he was. And Kibum believed it all.
By the next morning, he didn't want to see anyone. He felt guilty and dirty and overwhelmed with feelings of self-hatred.
And he was to blame. If only he listened to his boyfriend, none of this would've happened.
And right now, Kibum felt that Jonghyun leaving him seemed more realistic.

When Minho awoke the next morning, Kibum wasn't on the bed. And neither were his stretchers.
Worried, he hurried down the hall to Kibum's room, "Hey, are you in there?"
"Yeah, I'm just tired", Kibum replied, trying to sound as normal as possible.
Thankfully, Minho fell for it and headed out.