CHAPTER 13: WHITE LOVE

Don't Look At Me Like That (쳐다보지마)

“Close your eyes baby”.


Kibum closed his eyes right away but when he felt a cold finger touch his neck, he spoke up immediately, “Jjong, you better not slit my throat or I’ll haunt you as a ghost”.
Jonghyun rolled his eyes.


“And give me a good reason for why I’d even consider slitting your throat Kibum”.


“I dunno, you could be a bi-polar psycho for all I know”, Kibum shrugged earning himself a light smack on the back of his head.


“Okay open”.


Kibum opened his eyes and his eyes fell on the dressing mirror in front of him. And right away, he noticed a silver necklace with a key-shaped pendant. His hands went straight to his neck as though they were verifying the presence of the piece of jewelry. During this whole procedure, his mouth was wide open in awe.


“J-Jonghyun! It’s so pretty!” he exclaimed as he recovered from initial shock, “I love you!!”

Jonghyun was taken aback when his boyfriend jumped into his arms abruptly, wrapping his arms around his neck. Thankfully, there was a bed to break their fall.

“So you liked your birthday present?”

“Are you kidding? I love it!! You’re the best boyfriend in the world!” Kibum squealed, hopping up and down in excitement.

“It’s the key to my heart, get it?” Jonghyun grinned.

Kibum looked at his boyfriend, “I’ll let you go this time with such a cheesy line.”

Jonghyun grinned and kissed his boyfriend softly.

“Anyways, we haven’t talked for like a week”, Kibum sighed.

“Siwon is never around during meetings and duties so I have to do them”, Jonghyun explained.

“That’s not fair. Doesn’t your dad wonder where he is?” Kibum demanded.

“Uh well, he doesn’t exactly know”, Jonghyun said softly.

“Well, doesn’t he have an excuse for this?” Kibum asked.

“It’s not that easy Kibum, I don’t wanna cause problems”, Jonghyun sighed, “I saw him with some druggies a few days back. And if dad found out, there would be a huge commotion!”

“Drugs? Honestly! How old is he – 16; isn’t he a bit too old for this? He’ll get in even worse trouble if your dad doesn’t know!” Kibum said, “And besides, I don’t get to spend enough time with you”.

Jonghyun smiled at Kibum’s cute little pout.

“Fine, I get it”, he said, poking the younger boy’s cheek fondly.

Suddenly, the younger boy’s phone rang. Kibum took one look at his phone and rolled his eyes, quickly sending Jonghyun an apologetic look before answering the phone.

“What?”

“Hey Kibum, nice to hear from you too”, the deep voice droned.

“Minho, I don’t have time for your terrible dry humour”, Kibum sassed, “What do you want?”

“Oh? I see you’ve missed me”. That sarcasm again.

Kibum sighed, “How’s your romantic vacation going, huh?”

“Romantic”.

“Ugh, who would talk to you?”

“How about you? Are you planning on wasting your last week of winter break?” Minho asked, ignoring the comment.

“Aw how sweet of you to worry, lovely brother. But it’s fine, we planned a ski trip with Taemin and Kai tomorrow”, Kibum answered.

“Remember to lock the door and wear warm clothing”.

“Alright mother, is that all?”

“Yup, have fun!”

“You too, tell Jinki hyung that I miss him!”

“Wow Kibum, and to think you’re MY brother…”, Minho muttered.

“I LOVE YOU MINHO!” Jonghyun yelled into the phone, him and Kibum cracking up.

“Hahaha! He hung up!” Kibum snickered.

……………………………………………………………………….

"Wahh!! This is gonna be so much fun!" Kai exclaimed excitedly.

Taemin shrugged, "It's alright. Nothing compared to Switzerland though".
He went there on a feild trip two years ago and never ceased to mention how great his experience had been, especially since there was a large vampire population. 

Jonghyun knocked the younger boy's head with his hand, "Quit being so bigoted".

The four teens carried on and checked into their hotel rooms. The sun was slowly setting so they decided to rest that day and ski early in the morning.

"Hyung, do we have room service?" Taemin asked.

"Yeah, so that means I won't be seeing you guys 'till morning", Kibum said, "I expect you to be responsible boys!"

"Don't talk to strangers. Don't eat food off the ground. Don't eat lollipops from strangers with white minivans", Jonghyun joked.

"Whatever hyung; you're less mature than us", Taemin rolled his eyes.

Kibum sighed, "Kai, make sure the both of you go to sleep early. We are gonna meet in the lobby at 8am for breakfast".

Kai flashed his pearly smile and a thumbs up, "You can count on me hyung".

The next morning, everyone awoke early as they were excited and pumped for the day.

"Hyung! You're fifteen minutes late", Taemin whined.

"Not my fault", Jonghyun said quickly, "The princess took an hour in washroom".

 Kibum rolled his eyes as they all went for some delicious waffles.

"This is delicious!" Kibum exclaimed.

"Got that right!" Kai added, "I can live off of this -- wait... Hyung, is that bacon and whip cream on your waffle?"

Three pairs of eyes turned to what Jonghyun had in his hands. Jonghyun was holding what resembled a sandwich filled with bacon strips and a mountain of whip cream on top.

Kibum grimaced, "You're gross Jonghyun".

"I'm trying to build energy for the day", Jonghyun said without swallowing.

Kibum glared at the elder for speaking with his mouth full. He sighed and decided to be more patient and let everyone enjoy their vacation.
However, while everyone was on their third waffle... Well fifth for Jonghyun ... Taemin hadn't even completed his first.

"Taemin-ah, are you alright?" Kai asked, "You should eat of you wanna ski".

The latter pushed his plate away slightly, mumbling, "I'm not hungry".

"Oh more for me!" Jonghyun said as he grabbed the half eaten waffle.

"Nonsense you need energy", Kibum said.

"Yeah... I need blood", Taemin reminded.

Kai shivered, "Ugh, I can never get used to hearing that. It gives me the chills, man".

"Tell me about it", Jonghyun muttered.

"Oh alright. Wait a bit", Kibum said, wiping his hands with a tissue.

They decided to take the business upstairs in a room while Jonghyun and Kai continued on their indulgence on food, this time, thankfully moving on to the fruits.
...
About ten minutes later, the crew stepped out of the hotel, walking up the main hill.

"Alright Kim Kibum, zip up your jacket fully or you'll get snow in your clothes", Jonghyun said.

"Yeah hyung", Taemin added, "You don't need to make a fashion statement here".
He and Kai snickered.
There were a few families around but it didn't seem too crowded.

"Hyung, I'm going on the biggest hill", Taemin announced, "Let's go Kai".

"No way man, I'm not that experienced", Kai said quickly. Taemin shrugged and was on his way.

"Wanna go to the second one Kai?" Jonghyun offered.

"Yeah, sure hyung."

"Coming Kibum?"

Kibum hurriedly shook his head, "Nah, this one is enough excitement for me. See you guys at 12 for lunch."

And so, everyone separated and were on their way.
All the boys were enjoying themselves and four hours passed quicker than they realized.
It was soon 12 and Kibum headed to the fast food restaurant where they'd decided to meet. But after half an hour passed, he grew irritated, quickly realizing that the other three boys had clearly lost track of time.
Grumbling, Kibum marched his up the second hill, heading over to Kai; Jonghyun was already halfway down, skiing down the hill.

"Yah! Don't you know how to check the time?"

Kai's face hit realization, "Sorry hyung! I totally forgot! Jonghyun hyung said he was going to tell me when it was 12; I don't have a watch on me".

"Excuses", the elder frowned, "You must be an idiot for depending on that fool!"

"Bummie!" Jonghyun cheered as he returned.

"Don't 'Bummie' me! Do you know what time it is?"

"Oh, uh, I was just about to tell Kai to go".

"Of course you were, I'm going to the restaurant; you go find Taemin", Kibum muttered.
Therefore, Kai and Kibum went to the restaurant, ordered food, and waited silently.

Finally, Jonghyun and Taemin arrived and so did the food.
Kibum and Taemin finished eating first and went to the washroom to wash their hands.
All was silent until...

"Hey hyung".

"What?"

"Where's that necklace you were wearing today?"

"What--", Kibum's eyes widened as he spotted his bare neck in the reflection in front of him. He dried his hands in a hurry and felt his neck in worry.
"I-it's missing!" Kibum exclaimed, "It fell into the snow!"

"Calm down, I'm sure it'll turn up-", Taemin said in weak attempt to calm the elder.

"Yah, Taemin!" Kibum exclaimed, grabbing his friend's shoulders, "You can't tell anyone about it, understand?"

Taemin had no idea why this necklace was so special but he nodded anyways.

“I’m serious, Tae. No. Matter. What.”

“Alright, I get it hyung! Mum’s the word”, Taemin assured.

Kibum thanked him and left first.
"Hurry up guy! Let's go back!" he said to Jonghyun and Kai.

"Huh? Are you sure?" Kai asked.

"Yeah, don't you wanna rest?" Jonghyun asked.

"No, I want to ski", Kibum said.

The boys shrugged and finished up as well.
They all decided to return to their hills like before. However, Kibum didn't go to the checkout desk to rent skis this time; he went straight to the top of the hill, searching madly for the lost piece of jewelry.

Kibum tried retracing his steps to find the necklace but there were footsteps everywhere  and hundreds of people were there. And with the thick snow, it proved to be an even more difficult task. He swore under his breath in frustration.
He should've listened to Jonghyun in the first place when he told him to zip up his stupid coat. If his coat was zipped up properly, it would be safely tucked away under his shirt, not flowing around in the wind while he skied.
Hours passed but Kibum was as determined as ever. He'd already asked everyone if they saw it but nobody had.

"Don't worry, you can leave your number", the ski rental guy had said, "If someone finds it, I'll call you".
Kibum rolled his eyes.
'Fat chance', he thought before stomping away. There was no way it would be found just like that and turned in.
That boy just wanted his number.
In any other situation, Kibum would've playfully flirted back but he was frustrated at the moment and he certainly had no time to waste.
After searching the entire hill twice, he concluded that the necklace probably flew off while he was skiing. That meant it could've fallen into the shallower back of the hill where a little forest of trees were.
Kibum was hesitant. Families were heading off and the sun was beginning to set.  But when he spotted three familiar bobs of hair walking up the hill, he stealthily hid behind a large tree.
There was no way he had the heart to tell his boyfriend that he lost his precious birthday present in less than a week.
The boy's heart beat wildly as the three approached the tree. At first, he thought they'd spotted him and his brain winded quickly, thinking of something to say. However, they stopped a few steps away from the tree; their backs facing the tree. Kibum turned the opposite direction, eyes closed shut and holding his breath.

"... I can't see him from here either hyung", Taemin said.

There was a pause. "Neither can I. Let's go check the other hills once in case he went to find us", Jonghyun said, "Or he could've just went off without us".

Kibum breathed a sigh of relief as the three walked back down. It had also begun to snow.
He had to urgently find the necklace before it got absolutely dark.
Kibum gulped when he saw the shallow end of the hill; it was dark and quiet.

"That's because you're the key to my heart".

Kibum recalled Jonghyun's cheesy line from three days ago. But right now, instead of grimacing from the cheesiness, he was hit but a block of guilt.

The Almighty Key isn't giving up without a fight.

In his mad search, Kibum didn't notice the time go by or how dark it became. When his body began to shiver from the strong winds, he hugged his body tighter, not giving up on his goal.
Tears dripped from the corner of his but he couldn't tell if they were from frustration or the wind and snow hitting his face.
He should've taken a scarf with him.
Sighing, he gave up; it was too dark to look for the necklace anyways.
But when he stood up to return, the thick snow blocked his view so he found some trees to seek shelter under. But even without snow hitting his face, it was impossible to look too far. And as he looked at him surroundings, he had no idea where he was.
'', Kibum swore, half angry at himself for getting lost and half afraid -- no, terrified.

He was in trouble. Deep trouble.

....

"Hyung, he's not anywhere in the hotel!" Kai said.

"We checked everywhere. He hasn't checked in and it's been an hour", Taemin added.

"He's not answering his phone either", Jonghyun sighed, "Well if he's not inside then he's got to be outside".

"I doubt it hyung", Kai muttered, "There's a snow storm outside."

"Are you sure? Are you sure you have absolutely no idea where he could be? He didn't say anything?" Jonghyun was practically begging at this point.

Taemin gulped and shook his head, along with Kai, "Hyung, let's report him missing. They can send a search party".
....
"I'm sorry but we cannot go out in such weather. Response would be delayed, it's icy and very dangerous for snowmobiles out there", the receptionist said.

"But if there's a person out there, it's more dangerous for them!" Jonghyun argued.

"We understand sir, but we cannot but an employee's life in danger life this".

"God dammit, then can I use the darn snowmobile?" Jonghyun demanded.

Taken aback, the receptionist said, "B-but sir, it's too--"

"I'm not an employee so you don't need to worry".

"Yes but you're a customer, it's much too dangerous".

Jonghyun felt like face palming the woman himself, "Yes, well the guy out there is also a customer. And I'm insisting. This is an emergency!"

"Hyung, it's terrible out there", Kai said in a final weak attempt to stop the elder, "I'm sure Kibum hyung is sheltered".

"I don't know that. Nobody does, so I have to find him. I wouldn't forgive myself if I stayed here and something happened to him", Jonghyun said, grabbing the snowmobile keys from the receptionist who silently handed them to him.
He hurried out the door, "Keep your phones on".

Jonghyun could barely see from the thick snowfall however, the wind calmed a bit, thankfully. He drove loudly up and down the three snow hills, yelling.

"KIBUM!! KIBUM! CAN YOU HEAR ME? KIBUUUUM!!!"

Unfortunately, he had no luck. Thankfully, his strength allowed him to keep heat trappped in his body; a feature that wolves commonly have to protect them from harsh winters and cold.
With no success, he began to slowly make whole turns around the hills slowly since the area was steeper and icy.
Since he had a weak telepathic link with his mate, he sensed some coldness and all warnings in his head went up.

"If I was Kibum, where would I go?" Jonghyun said out loud, "But Kibum wouldn't be foolishly out here in a snowstorm in the first place."
After 45 minutes of yelling and calling his boyfriend, Jonghyun caught sight of a little purple cloth. It was easy to miss since it was just a hat. Relief and anxiety went through his body at that moment.
Thankfully he'd found Kibum but the hat was in the ground -- which meant it was connected with a head that was on the ground -- a head that wasn't moving.
He sped over, grumbling on the fact Kibum's jacket was white, easily fitting in with the snow.

Sure enough, Kibum's body was unmoving as it lay on the ground, even as Jonghyun screamed his boyfriend's name.
Jonghyun rapidly got off the vehicle and hurried to Kibum.
The boy's face was unnatural pale and numb, and his lips were lightly blue in colour. He rapidly slapped the younger boy's cheek slightly, "Kibum! Bummie! Wake up! It's me, Jonghyun!"

Jonghyun's heart shrank; Kibum had been out for hours now!
He hurriedly called an ambulance, explaining the situation.

Kibum's eyes slightly opened but dropped back again before they gained focus. Jonghyun hugged him tightly.
Kibum's body did its best on trying to keep heat in but there's only so much a body can take. Now, Kibum was numb; he had to get near heat.
Quickly, Jonghyun put Kibum's left hand around his shoulders and placed his right hand around his waist to hoist him up. He struggled to drag the younger boy to the snowmobile. He had to place Kibum in front of him since it the latter was still unconscious.
Starting the vehicle, he was zooming back to the hotel.

Meanwhile, Kai and Taemin were waiting frantically. They nervously sat in the hotel lobby, looking out for Kibum and/ or Jonghyun's return.
The hotel receptionist was eyeing them, generally concerned because of the weather. Thankfully, the storm seemed to be deteriorating.

Taemin sighed and flopped onto the couch with his head in his arms. He was feeling terribly guilty and worried.
He realized that maybe Kibum's disappearance had to do with that missing necklace.
He could've went to look for it...
But Kibum wasn't that irrational -- he wouldn't carelessly do that in such terrible weather -- right?

"Jonghyun's back!"

Kai's announcement made Taemin get up on his feet suddenly.
He joined Kai at the door and they both noticed an unconscious Kibum.
That was not good.
Kai hurried to help Jonghyun with Kibum while Taemin held the door open.

"Send a doctor to room 219 ASAP", Taemin ordered the alarmed receptionist as he held the elevator open as well.

"Hyung where was he?" Taemin asked, already knowing the answer.

"In the shallow part of the hill, under some trees. I almost missed him", Jonghyun grunted, "I have no idea what he was doing there either! I first guessed that he have fallen but there was no evidence for such a thing. I just don't understand".

"Let's just get him changed and warmed", Kai said as the elevator opened with a ding.

Ten minutes later, Kibum was changed and under two layers of covers as colour returned to his face. Everyone released a breath of relief before the door began to knock.

"That must be the doc, I'll get it", Kai said, getting up.

Details were explained and the doctor nodded, observing the boy.
"He seems to be getting better now. His body was probably numb because of the cold and it may have shut down temporarily. But I'll check just in case", he said.
He sat down and opened his medical bag, revealing different tools.

First, he checked Kibum's ears and then his eyes with a tiny flashlight.

"Hmm, everything seems alright so far."

Next he took out his stethoscope to check heartbeat. He lifted the unconscious boy's shirt but when the cold metal came in contact with Kibum's skin, the latter moved a bit and shuddered from the cold.
It was a relief to see that he was slowly gaining consciousness.

"Can one of you hold his mouth open please?" the doctor asked, "I just need a final check for any viruses."

Jonghyun nodded and pushed Kibum's jaw together for his mouth to open.
The doctor took a popsicle stick and a tiny flashlight to look inside.
He was done in less than a minute. He gave Kibum a shot.

"He may have a small fever at the moment but your friend should be fine. He will wake up in about 30 minutes and I'd suggest some warm soup or hot chocolate", the doctor informed as he packed his bag, "He must have something when he's up so he'll be fine by tomorrow."

"Thank you", Jonghyun said thankfully, leading the doctor to the door.

"No problem, have a pleasant day".

 Jonghyun rubbed his face and returned to the room where Taemin and Kai sat.
“Kibum is gonna be alright so you guys can go back to your room. I’m sure you’re really tired from today”, Jonghyun said, taking a seat, “I’m sorry this vacation took a bad turn”.

“It’s fine hyung”, Kai said kindly, “Kibum hyung is alright so that’s a relief. Good night”.
He got up to leave, looking at Taemin expectantly.

“Uh, you go on. I need to tell Jonghyun hyung something”, Taemin said. Kai shrugged and left while Jonghyun looked up confused.

“I’m sure you can tell me later Tae. We’re all tired with all this commotion today”, Jonghyun said.

“I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep if I don’t get this off my chest”, Taemin muttered.

“Well, what is it?”

“You know how I told you I had no idea where Kibum hyung could be before you left to find him?”

Yeah?”

“Well, I kind of knew… around lunch, I noticed this necklace on Kibum’s neck was missing. He started to get really worried and he made me swear not to tell anyone. I think he thought it fell in the snow”.

Jonghyun’s face was blank and he digested the younger boy’s words.
That idiot of his boyfriend went to risk his life for a necklace.
“It all makes sense now! I can’t believe he’d do such a thing for that silly necklace!” Jonghyun exclaimed in frustration.

“Hyung”, Taemin said slowly, “By any chance, is that the necklace you bought for Kibum?
Jonghyun nodded.

“Well, I’m sorry for not telling you earlier. I didn’t mean for things to get so terrible. I mean, hyung could’ve –“.

“He didn’t”, Jonghyun interrupted, “Let’s not think about ‘ifs’. Besides, I understand; you had a promise to keep. Believe me. I would be scared of his wrath too”.

Taemin chuckled, “Thanks hyung. Good night, I hope Kibum hyung feels better”.

“Thanks, you too”, Jonghyun smiled, thankful for the clarification of the situation and Taemin’s honesty.

After Taemin left, he ordered room service for warm chicken noodle soup and waited for the younger boy to wake up. But Kibum wasn’t the least of his worries… there were 4 missed calls from Minho.


Well, that can’t be good.

 

..........................................................................................................................

HAPPY (belated) VALENTINES DAY!! <3

Hey! Long time no see precious friends ^_^
Sorry I've been busy. 
My uploads will decrease because this semester is hard :P
Sorry

but i'll try my best....sorry if my chapters become lacking or boring
once again, feel free to leave advice or suggestions! 
Thank you!

Love u allll <333